• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why I'm doing the Camino

theslammer

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
I hope my story might be of some inspiration to others who are considering embarking on this amazing journey.

In 2003 I left my job in the UK and along with 3 friends traveled to Australia without flying. Trains, buses and boats only. We were backpacking, on a tight budget and I experienced more in those 9 and half months than in all of my previous 24 years combined.

After working and travelling in Australia for a year, the end of our trip came and we went our separate ways. I didn't feel ready to return to England and so decided to go back to Thailand which had been one of the highlights of the journey. Ten years and several jobs later I was still in Thailand and working in a senior role for one of the most luxurious resorts in Asia. US$ 7,000 a night luxurious. But I wasn't happy for a number of reasons which I may get the chance to tell you about one day.

Although I've moved apartments several times, one thing that always came with me was my old, worn and still dusty backpack. I'd look at it from time to time and think of how different my travels back then were in comparison to the holidays taken by the celebrities and oligarchs that were staying at my resort. Deep down I wanted to quit but didn't have the courage to make myself jobless.

Two days ago came the straw that broke the camel's back. In an emotional state I fired off a resignation email to my boss. Still in shock of what I had just done I received a call asking if I would mind taking a designer who was visiting the property out shopping. Fighting back tears of either fear or relief I drove with this stranger for an hour. I didn't want to discuss my personal situation but I asked him whether his job as a designer gave him fulfillment in life. He spoke openly and our conversation moved on to his separation and subsequent divorce a few years ago. He explained how when he was at his lowest ebb he had decided to do something that changed his outlook on life forever - El Camino.

I had not heard of the Camino before and was absolutely fascinated by his story and of the wonderfully inspiring journey he was describing. I immediately knew that this was a sign and that I need not fear my next big step in life. I would have a million smaller steps to take before I had to worry about that.

I will commence Camino Frances in early July and I am in no rush to arrive in Santiago de Compostela.

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Buen Camino, theslammer! It's amazing how the Camino appears at times when we need it and are open to it. Your wealth of travel experience will serve you well. You'll be less concerned than most of us initially are about the practical aspects, and be able to live the experience. Enjoy!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I hope my story might be of some inspiration to others who are considering embarking on this amazing journey.

In 2003 I left my job in the UK and along with 3 friends traveled to Australia without flying. Trains, buses and boats only. We were backpacking, on a tight budget and I experienced more in those 9 and half months than in all of my previous 24 years combined.

After working and travelling in Australia for a year, the end of our trip came and we went our separate ways. I didn't feel ready to return to England and so decided to go back to Thailand which had been one of the highlights of the journey. Ten years and several jobs later I was still in Thailand and working in a senior role for one of the most luxurious resorts in Asia. US$ 7,000 a night luxurious. But I wasn't happy for a number of reasons which I may get the chance to tell you about one day.

Although I've moved apartments several times, one thing that always came with me was my old, worn and still dusty backpack. I'd look at it from time to time and think of how different my travels back then were in comparison to the holidays taken by the celebrities and oligarchs that were staying at my resort. Deep down I wanted to quit but didn't have the courage to make myself jobless.

Two days ago came the straw that broke the camel's back. In an emotional state I fired off a resignation email to my boss. Still in shock of what I had just done I received a call asking if I would mind taking a designer who was visiting the property out shopping. Fighting back tears of either fear or relief I drove with this stranger for an hour. I didn't want to discuss my personal situation but I asked him whether his job as a designer gave him fulfillment in life. He spoke openly and our conversation moved on to his separation and subsequent divorce a few years ago. He explained how when he was at his lowest ebb he had decided to do something that changed his outlook on life forever - El Camino.

I had not heard of the Camino before and was absolutely fascinated by his story and of the wonderfully inspiring journey he was describing. I immediately knew that this was a sign and that I need not fear my next big step in life. I would have a million smaller steps to take before I had to worry about that.

I will commence Camino Frances in early July and I am in no rush to arrive in Santiago de Compostela.
Buen camino! May the journey give you all the answers in your soul....it's my first camino also and it appeared also to me out of the blue, and i felt that the road was calling me.i start on the 8/7 from SJPP! Maybe we will meet along the way:)

Buen Camino

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great story. We first learned about the camino several years ago from some fellow explorers we met in Laos (what is it about SE Asia?). When some time opened up in 2012 we walked from Montserrat to Finisterre, and like your designer friend found it to be a transformative experience. We've heard similar tales from others who found what they needed at points of life transition along the camino.

We are returning this summer to walk again, this time along the Lebaniego, Vadiniense, and Invierno caminos.

Buen camino.

Dan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love Montserrat! Did you see the place for tent, left side of the mountain-lift? My goal is that I some day will sleep there!
About the camino... I will start my first camino walk very, very soon!
I fly to Madrid monday June 23rd, one week!!! Start from Pamplona the very next day. I knew about the camino long time ago. Have read a lot on/in blog texts and seen plenty (!!!) films on Yuotube. Now...! Finall...! It time to meet St Jacob by my self!
Ultreia!
I will do the camino with my 16yr old doughter! We leave the other 50 percent of the family and have the adventure of our lives!
Maybe we'll meet, Slammer?!
Buen Camino!

Hola Lotta,
Not sure whether we saw the tent spot. Was this at the bottom of the lift, or on top? On an earlier visit to Montserrat we spent a very enjoyable afternoon hiking around on the mountain, and on an evening hike even encountered a herd of mountain goats.
There's also a fine pilgrim albergue right there across from the fancy hotel.
Buen camino to you and your daughter.
Dan

Thank you Dan! It was on the top. Instead of walking right, to albuerge, fancy hotels, church/carhedral and restaurant, you went left. 2€ for a room with a wiew not on top of the mountain but half way up... You could see all the way to the sea!

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just to know that I will be on the Camino about the same time as you makes my heart smile! Hope you have a great time. Buen Camino!

Thank you Dan! It was on the top. Instead of walking right, to albuerge, fancy hotels, church/carhedral and restaurant, you went left. 2€ for a room with a wiew not on top of the mountain but half way up... You could see all the way to the sea!

Not sure, but I think I remember seeing this spot. Yes, beautiful.
Buen camino, Lotta.
Dan

Awesome. My catalyst was dog dying the day after losing my job of 22 years. Where did you start?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hope (know!) you will find what you seek out there! The minute I heard about the Camino, (a few years back!), I knew I had to go too!

For many reasons I have been waiting til now, also after a big change in my life, and DING!!! It was back on my mind again, and I instantly knew that NOW is THE TIME! My flight is booked!....shortly after I wrote this song....I hope you will enjoy my song/video and perhaps recognize how you felt too? BUEN CAMINO! And BIG CHEERS for you! :)

Great story.

I 1st heard about The Camino a long time ago when Shirley MacClaine was being interviewed on some show. She was talking about how she walked The Camino & she realized all she needed was what she had with her on The Camino. She started giving things away. That the walk had transformed her.

I have been saying that I would walk for several years. The signs have shown up in many ways that this is the year & I will start on October 1st.

This is a year of growing spiritually for me in very deep ways & I did 2 40 day fasts with medical supervision. Water, electrolytes, vitamins & minerals only.

I have been letting go of attachments to a lot of things on all levels & am looking forward to walking in October.

1 of the signs for me is the St. Francis Compostela only offered this year as I have loved him since I was a little girl & my Grandma painted me a lovely painting of him. Too many others to share.

I am excited for you.

Xoxo

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey all you pilgrims fortunate you are to be walking the Way into your new lives enjoy each step you tread.
Buen Camino to every one of you

Hey theslammer, your story brought tears to my eyes. Just under a year ago I did exactly the same thing, leaving a very well paid secure job that I held for over thirty years. Now in my early 50's and living on a fraction of my former income, I've never been happier in all my life and am only sorry I didn't have the courage to quit sooner. I went to the attic and dusted down the rucksack I used on inter-rail trips around Europe when I was in my late teens/early twenties and re-awakened my passion for travel in a simple manner again. I'm starting the Camino Frances from SJPP at the end of August. Good luck to you, I believe you have made the right decision for you and have no doubt that you will find more adventure, enjoyment and pleasure in your future. Regards, Gerard.

What incredible inpirational stories here!

I myself posted my story a few days a go (A pilgrim's plea), wich basicly discribed my discovery of the Camino, the following signs and my huge attracktion to it. But also my doubt and confusion about it. I reseived a lot of heart warming and good advices, as I see you have to. What a great way of communication isn't it?

When I wrote my post I was on some sort of holiday. I returned home yesterday and I am finding myself feeling like a stranger at my own home. So today I am leaving again to join a friend ho is camping somewhere in a forrest not far from here. And who knows what comes next......!

Your story about your travels, work in other country's and quitting your job inspired me. Making me see that tere are so many possibilyties out there. Thanks for that.

Keep us posted. Have a geat Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back