• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

buses from madrid to pamplona

marcy

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept. 2014
I'm having a hard time booking my bus ticket either on the Alsa site or the movelia site, as have been recommended. The site keeps refusing my credit card. Any assistance??

thanks,

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Buy it from ALSA.

It may be that your card is not accepted. You may need to get a chip reader for your credit card so the website and your card can have an electronic handshake.

Else ask your bank why your credit card can't be accepted on a European service provider website.

And, Unless your timings are really tight ... buy it when you get there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm having a hard time booking my bus ticket either on the Alsa site or the movelia site, as have been recommended. The site keeps refusing my credit card. Any assistance??

thanks,
Make sure your issuing bank will accept foreign transactions. You may have to call them and tell them your travel dates so they will accept your charges while in Spain.

BTW, if you are flying round trip into and out of Madrid, you should look into a flight to Pamplona. We got one for $25 more.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Make sure your issuing bank will accept foreign transactions. You may have to call them and tell them your travel dates so they will accept your charges while in Spain.

BTW, if you are flying round trip into and out of Madrid, you should look into a flight to Pamplona. We got one for $25 more.

What airline for $25?

You won't be able to pay online at all for Alsa bus tickets. My credit card wasn't accepted, and even PayPal kept asking for my Spanish social security number (which of course I don't have).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

thanks,
Have you look into the train? it is a little more than the buss, but is about half the trip duration. The trains in Spain are very good.
Renfe web site is terrible, try this: http://www.raileurope.com/index.html

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As others have said, it is possible to buy bus tickets at Terminal 4 of the Madrid airport. There are automated kiosks right at the curbside that dispense tickets. They would not accept my chipless American credit card, but readily accepted cash. As I recall, it was a very pleasant ride of perhaps 4 hours, with one transfer along the way. The Pamplona bus station is just a few blocks from the Camino, and if you intend to start your walk in SJPP or Roncesvalles, you can get a ticket for that bus right at the station.

The train is certainly an option, but unless I'm wrong, it would entail a bus, taxi, or metro ride into the city, with possible transfers if you take the bus or metro. The net time from the airport to Pamplona would probably be longer.

Buen Camino,
Jim

I bought ALSA tickets to Pamplona in May with my America Credit Card without any problem. But you can buy ticket at the Terminal

I bought ALSA tickets to Pamplona in May with my America Credit Card without any problem. But you can buy ticket at the Terminal
Actually, that automated kiosk at T4 was the only time I had a problem with my Visa card. Apparently the kiosk's card reader can't handle magnetic strips. I generally used the credit card in the larger cities; the rest of the time I used cash from ATM machines.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back