• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

silk vs cotton liner?

Time of past OR future Camino
Either Via de la Plata or Frances
i'll be walking the VDLP from merida in sept. i plan to use a sleeping bag (15-22 d's) with a liner. cotton liners are much cheaper than silk- any reason to use silk for bed bugs vs cotton?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think the bed bugs are just as comfortable in cotton or silk.

I prefer silk as it seems to keep me warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot. It's kind of like the opposite of how my thermos works.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Note that the link takes you to an "art silk" liner which is not really silk at all. It may be a great liner but don't compare its price to a real silk liner. They do have a link at the bottom of that page to a - hopefully - real silk liner that is more expensive but still cheaper than I can get in a regular store.

Just a hint on sillk liners . . .I always travel with a double size - not much difference in weight and I can turn in it easier than a single.
I bought mine online from a NZ company (nznature.co.nz ) Yes, a little expensive but I have used mine on the last 3 caminos so well worth it. It dries really quickly and has a built in ‘pillow case’
Cheers, Grace

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
As I said you have a choice of a silk mix for outdoor/camping/hiking use or pure silk. Either one is not expensive, I've bought both, one double size and a single in pure silk. They are way cheaper than store bought as you are dealing direct.

I would recommend a silk liner (treated to resist the bed bugs). Yes a cotton one might easier to keep clean but I prefer the "silk".

I have just come back from a 5 week trip in France, some camino routes, but mainly Alpes, High Provence and the Pilgrim route of Saint Guilhem le Desert. I used nothing but a black silk liner, comfortable , easy to keep clean and treated. It would fit into my back pocket. I now have it 3 years. I machine wash it when I get home but don't wash it on route.

Mine is a Lifeadventure EX 3 SILK rectangular bag. The cheapest I see it for is 39.99 sterling plus postage. In my opinion you get what you pay for. I have put this through its paces over the last few years and I am happy with it. Buy one.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Since I am researching the cotton vs silk liner issue, I'd like to thank the above posters for their helpful info. I found a link to the top 5 sleeping bag liners. Included in the list is Nalod's 130 gm Lifeaventure EX 3 SILK as well as an 80 gm option that I did not know existed (Trespass Slumber Polycotton Liner: £10.99). http://www.independent.co.uk/extras...vity/5-best-sleeping-bag-liners-10082198.html

So glad this thread has come up agsin because since someone stole my Sea to Summit liner last May I am on the market again.

I would ideally go for silk, as in real silk, but extrawide, without going to a full double.

The made in Vietnam liners linked to above, in extralarge, are a blend because, the makers wrote to me, the width of the fabric would force them to have extra seems, which would weaken the bag. How they are then able to make a double I don't know. Their regular width is 83cm, or narrow, 33 inches.

Sea to Summit has a silk bag now to which they have added sides that allow it to expand. They say it's 36 inches. I wonder how wide it can get with the expansion bands. Hut alas it's mummy shaped, and $$$&.

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Premium+Silk+Travel+Liner&o1=0&o2=0&o3=111-34

So.... if anyone knows of a real silk, extra wide (more than the 5cm in the Treksilk on linked to above) non mummy liner please let me know. ANd it must ship to Canada. Simple one would think o_O.

So glad this thread has come up agsin because since someone stole my Sea to Summit liner last May I am on the market again.

I would ideally go for silk, as in real silk, but extrawide, without going to a full double.

The made in Vietnam liners linked to above, in extralarge, are a blend because, the makers wrote to me, the width of the fabric would force them to have extra seems, which would weaken the bag. How they are then able to make a double I don't know. Their regular width is 83cm, or narrow, 33 inches.

Sea to Summit has a silk bag now to which they have added sides that allow it to expand. They say it's 36 inches. I wonder how wide it can get with the expansion bands. Hut alas it's mummy shaped, and $$$&.

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Premium+Silk+Travel+Liner&o1=0&o2=0&o3=111-34

So.... if anyone knows of a real silk, extra wide (more than the 5cm in the Treksilk on linked to above) non mummy liner please let me know. ANd it must ship to Canada. Simple one would think o_O.
If you have a sewing machine it's easy to buy a double sized silk bag and cut it down to a generous single size, then sew up the seam. I also added a zipper in mine.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you have a sewing machine it's easy to buy a double sized silk bag and cut it down to a generous single size, then sew up the seam. I also added a zipper in mine.
I don't sew, but just the cost of the silk would be crazy. I did offer to buy silk from the Treksilk people but they would't have it. So paying for the silk and the seemstress $$$$$ :(

I've used the Sea to Summit Reactor Thermolite Mummy Bag Liner on two VdlP's. It is made of a hollow core polyester fabric and reasonably priced. I use it in combination with a light weight sleeping bag (good to 55 degrees). I've used it, abused it, and swear by it.

Ok, I bit the bullet and boufht the new Sea to Summit 100% rip-stop silk with "Comfort stretch pannels". And it is FABULOUS!

Mine is the regular length, as it is all I need as a short legged walker. It measures 33-37", is 73" in length and weighs 4.6 ounces. Even with my super hips I have lots of extra room, before stretching the side pannels, which are really stretchy.

Two things I would change:

A: you do have to folded at least semi-properly for it to fit back in its pouch, and that is while giving fingers a good workout. I might use a different small mesh bag if an extra inch, or even less, in volume will make for easier storage.

B: it is not treated with their bedbug prevention system. But I still jave permetryn from last hear so I will spray ot myself.

Cost: C$80. In comparisson MEC's is C$140!!!! How MEC expects to sell any is beyond me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After 16 days of walking (plus another three days to explore Salamanca and Zamora) I've finished my walk on the Vía de la Plata and am now continuing on the Camino Sanabres. If anyone's...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back