• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Lana, Sureste and Levante

bjorgts

Time of past OR future Camino
In Spain, France, Portugal, Germany since 2003
I said a couple of months ago that I should write something about the Levant-, Lana-, Sureste-routes, and then nobody heard anything from me. Sorry! One of the problems is that I do not know what should be written on the forums for the different routes. So now I post some here and some there on the three places.
In 2013 we walked 5 days on the Levante-route from Valencia to La Font de la Figuera in April. The weather was bad – rain and low temperature - and we had to go home for family reasons.
We returned in October, started out from Alicante on the Sureste-/Lana-route, and had 12 wonderful walking days to Las Pedroñeras. So then I know something about all three routes.

The Lana/Sureste from Alicante to Almansa (Sureste leave in Villena):
There are guides for these routes on internet. There are some local organisations which do a lot of good work connected to Sureste (and Lana, I think).
Already on our first day out of Alicante, we saw that this rout(s) was very well marked. My husbarnd said (before we actually got a bit lost!) that this was the best marked route in the whole Christianity. We found the walking out of Alicante nicer than the walk out of Valencia, but may be the weather influenced on our view. Stopped the first night in Monforte del Cid, and the second in Sax. If you long for a nice stay, Hotel Fuente del Cura in Sax is the place. It is the only hotel in town. Pilgrims are very welcome. And the two of us had a medi-pension for 60€. Nice landscapes and nice walk – also the next day when we went just 14 km to Villena. Several of these towns have fortresses.
From Villena to Almansa the route is changed. There are some alternatives, but we found out that the new main route seamed to go via Caudete. They have changed the route because of new roads, motorway and AVE crossing the old route. There was no problem finding our way. Very well marked.

All three routes:
But note! When you walk in this region, you must be aware of the fact that there are three Caminos going here and there, crossing each other, going together sometimes and then splitting up again. Sometimes the places where they split up are well marked, but not always. In Villena Sureste and Lana split up. This is very well marked in Villena. We followed the Lana-route.

The Lana from Villena to Almansa:
From Villena to Almansa the route is changed. There are some alternatives, but we found out that the new main route seamed to go via Caudete. They have changed the route because of new roads, motorway and AVE crossing the old route. There was no problem finding our way. Very well marked. Note that on Mundicamino the map show the old route Villena – Almansa via La Encina.
Lana: http://www.decuencaasantiago.org/rutalana/rutadelalana.php Here you can find an English version of this first etappas. It is a bit old, but can be used for some of the etapas. If you find old guides, the new Villena–Almansa-part are not there. May be this is a newer version of the same: http://caminodelalana.blogspot.no/p/recorrido-por-la-provincia-de-alicante.html I have not had time to see.
The next address is for Villena – Caudete. There are some small pictures here that give you some maps with the chancing of the route. http://www.dealbaceteasantiago.es/CL_gVill-Alm.html

Caudete is a nice, small pueblo with a very nice albergue (Santa Ana). http://ermitasantaanacaudete.blogspot.no/ The local organisation take very well care of it. http://caminosantiagocaudete.blogspot.no/ Here is a Video from the “inauguracion” in 2912: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gghBgeeJR0w

Lana and Levante the first part from Almansa (Sureste is now further south):
In Almansa Lana and Levante come in from different directions, but leave the town together. “Peregrina” has explained how you walk from the place where they split up, if you want to walk Levante from here on, but sleep in Alpera. http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/breaking-up-the-almansa-to-higueruela-stage.15818/ Vi went to Alpera. Next day you do not have to return the same way or follow the main road to Higueruela. You leave the town in an upside down V (if you understand what I mean J) . See the map:

From Apera we found Camino Levante easily. If you walk Levante, you will not see the Lana-route any more. It goes north.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I said a couple of months ago that I should write something about the Levant-, Lana-, Sureste-routes, and then nobody heard anything from me. Sorry! One of the problems is that I do not know what should be written on the forums for the different routes. So now I post some here and some there on the three places.
In 2013 we walked 5 days on the Levante-route from Valencia to La Font de la Figuera in April. The weather was bad – rain and low temperature - and we had to go home for family reasons.
We returned in October, started out from Alicante on the Sureste-/Lana-route, and had 12 wonderful walking days to Las Pedroñeras. So then I know something about all three routes.

The Lana/Sureste from Alicante to Almansa (Sureste leave in Villena):
There are guides for these routes on internet. There are some local organisations which do a lot of good work connected to Sureste (and Lana, I think).
Already on our first day out of Alicante, we saw that this rout(s) was very well marked. My husbarnd said (before we actually got a bit lost!) that this was the best marked route in the whole Christianity. We found the walking out of Alicante nicer than the walk out of Valencia, but may be the weather influenced on our view. Stopped the first night in Monforte del Cid, and the second in Sax. If you long for a nice stay, Hotel Fuente del Cura in Sax is the place. It is the only hotel in town. Pilgrims are very welcome. And the two of us had a medi-pension for 60€. Nice landscapes and nice walk – also the next day when we went just 14 km to Villena. Several of these towns have fortresses.
From Villena to Almansa the route is changed. There are some alternatives, but we found out that the new main route seamed to go via Caudete. They have changed the route because of new roads, motorway and AVE crossing the old route. There was no problem finding our way. Very well marked.

All three routes:
But note! When you walk in this region, you must be aware of the fact that there are three Caminos going here and there, crossing each other, going together sometimes and then splitting up again. Sometimes the places where they split up are well marked, but not always. In Villena Sureste and Lana split up. This is very well marked in Villena. We followed the Lana-route.

The Lana from Villena to Almansa:
From Villena to Almansa the route is changed. There are some alternatives, but we found out that the new main route seamed to go via Caudete. They have changed the route because of new roads, motorway and AVE crossing the old route. There was no problem finding our way. Very well marked. Note that on Mundicamino the map show the old route Villena – Almansa via La Encina.
Lana: http://www.decuencaasantiago.org/rutalana/rutadelalana.php Here you can find an English version of this first etappas. It is a bit old, but can be used for some of the etapas. If you find old guides, the new Villena–Almansa-part are not there. May be this is a newer version of the same: http://caminodelalana.blogspot.no/p/recorrido-por-la-provincia-de-alicante.html I have not had time to see.
The next address is for Villena – Caudete. There are some small pictures here that give you some maps with the chancing of the route. http://www.dealbaceteasantiago.es/CL_gVill-Alm.html

Caudete is a nice, small pueblo with a very nice albergue (Santa Ana). http://ermitasantaanacaudete.blogspot.no/ The local organisation take very well care of it. http://caminosantiagocaudete.blogspot.no/ Here is a Video from the “inauguracion” in 2912: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gghBgeeJR0w

Lana and Levante the first part from Almansa (Sureste is now further south):
In Almansa Lana and Levante come in from different directions, but leave the town together. “Peregrina” has explained how you walk from the place where they split up, if you want to walk Levante from here on, but sleep in Alpera. http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/breaking-up-the-almansa-to-higueruela-stage.15818/ Vi went to Alpera. Next day you do not have to return the same way or follow the main road to Higueruela. You leave the town in an upside down V (if you understand what I mean J) . See the map:

From Apera we found Camino Levante easily. If you walk Levante, you will not see the Lana-route any more. It goes north.

Thanks, Bjorts. Glad to see you back on the forum. I have been looking at those other two routes that hover near the Levante, which I loved, and had pretty much decided that I would probably rather walk the Lana then the Sureste. Maybe in 2015 . But a hospitalero on the Primitivo told me that the Lana wasn't well marked before Cuenca. Your experience sounds quite different. But if I'm right, you weren't actually on the Lana for too long. Could you disentangle this a bit more for me? The Lana goes with the Sureste until Villena, then heads to Almansa where it crosses the Levante, and then continues on its own merry way? Is that right?

Thanks so much, buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As far as I know – and I know only the places I have walked – the Sureste and Lana go together from Alicante to Villena, and that part is very well marked. In fact I found it one of the best marked routes I have ever walked. It starts out from Basilica de Santa Maria in Alicante. There are different sorts of signs – all good. [ATTAIMGP0190-web.jpg CH]7897[/ATDSCF9906-web.jpg TACH]DSCF9950-web.JPG DSCF9978-web.jpg IMGP0017-web.jpg
When the two routes splited up in Villena, we followed Lana, and it was well marked to Caudete and all the way to Almansa, and further on together with Levante till we left Lana after our stay in Alpera when we returned to Levante. This two routes split up on the place where we leave Levante if we want to sleep in Alpera and does not want to walk all the way to Higueruela in one day.
You are less than half the way to Cuenca then, but why should the signing be bad after Alpera when it is good until then?
But as I said: I only know what I have walked
It definitely was Levante we found not so well marked in this region. The signs on parts of Levante seemed to be a bit old and worn out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, Bjorts. Albacete to Burgos looks like 26 stages, according to the association site. I haven't studied the site carefully, but there seems to be a lot of information on many (but not all) of the stages, lodging, etc. here: http://dealbaceteasantiago.es/ .

Another camino to ponder......
HELLOOOO Laurie and Bjoerg!! Kari and I have been in Australia and the Far East for eight months and have just arrived home. Reason for the long silence! Thanks so much for all the info on the Lana. Omar-48 (Melbourne,Australia) has just given up after a few days of not finding accommodation after leaving Alicante. I will just have to go and see for myself. Your tips about how it splits up and the way/villages to look for on the way to Almansa will be vital. We may well have a go this autumn or perhaps in the early spring, although then one risks a lot of rain. We'll see. In the meantime, it was lovely to see your comments and to think of Caminos again. Best. Kari and Kev

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Kevin! I am surprised to hear that a pilgrim has not found accommodation after leaving Alicante. If one can only stay in albergues there is a problem, but if one can afford hostals, there are no problems - as far as I experienced. I have not posted where we stayed, but can do that, if it is of interest. Bjørg

Hello Kevin! I am surprised to hear that a pilgrim has not found accommodation after leaving Alicante. If one can only stay in albergues there is a problem, but if one can afford hostals, there are no problems - as far as I experienced. I have not posted where we stayed, but can do that, if it is of interest. Bjørg

Thanks Bjørg, Yes he said that they had to walk for miles and the albergues were either closed or non-existent. Then they found that a hostal they tried was permanently full because of work on a nearby nuclear power station. To me it sounded like a run of bad luck really, perhaps also poor or innaccurate infomation. The person concerned nearly always uses French guides, and that may have been part of the problem so I was very encouraged when I read your account. It would be interesting to read where you stayed and it would also be a good pointer, from you having walked it, to follow your route and avoid getting involved in the other Camino, the Sureste. I know about the "crossroads" near Alpera, I passed it on the Levante in 2012 on the way to Hig. From Alpera I would assume it would be about the same to Monteguido and Cuenca?

Hi Kevin,
Are you planning to walk the Camino Sureste? Isn't it essentially the same as the Levante except for the beginning? (not saying that's a bad thing, of course, just wondering what you're thought process is). Thanks, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Kevin,
Are you planning to walk the Camino Sureste? Isn't it essentially the same as the Levante except for the beginning? (not saying that's a bad thing, of course, just wondering what you're thought process is). Thanks, Laurie
Hi Laurie, I think the Sureste is only really different at the beginning, as you know. After that it does make a detour or two around the Levante, like that different route near Mora but it is largely the same. No, what I thought of doing was starting at Alicante, then following the Lana/Sureste, depending on accommodation up through Almansa and Alpera and then carrying on to Cuenca and Burgos. I might have a crack at it this autumn, as I really want to try to avoid the Spring rains and cold. I might end up sending a PM to Bjoerg to get her list of accommodation and then follow her route to Alpera. After that, well, we'll see!! Best. Kev

Jo, det hadde vaert fint Bjoerg. Lurte om jeg skulle proeve meg til hoesten. Best. Kev

Hallo! I have walked Caminos the last weeks, so my answer comes now:
When you leave Alicante, it is possible to stay in Orito. There is something called Casa del Peregrino. We saw signs, but did not stop, so I do not know what it is. We stayed in Monforte del Cid the first night. There is a single hotel Hotel Avenida. € 63 for half board for two.
Next day Novelda have an albergue. Elda Petra have hostels and hotels. I do not know anything about them. We went from Monforte to Sax. In Sax there is a three-star hotel with special rates for pilgrims, Hotel Fuente del Cura. It was a top place to stay! Very pilgrim-friendly. We paid 60 € for the two of us with half board.
Next day in Villena we stayed at the hotel Salvadora. We could not find anything else in the city. € 50 without breakfast. From Villena it is important to choose the right. Remember that in Villena Sureste and Lana split up. This is very well marked in Villena. We followed the Lana-route. If you have old descriptions of this route, they will send you via La Encina. Because of much construction of new infrastructure in the area, routes have been changed, and the natural choice, as far as I understand, is going to Caudete and from there to Almansa. The road to Caudete was well marked and we had no troubles finding our way. A good reason to go that way is that Caudete have an active Pilgrim Society and a great albergue (Santa Ana). It was a good experience to stay there.
Then we stopped in Almansa and Alpera. In Almansa we were recommended Hostal Estudio, but there was full. We stayed in a Pension in the center for 35 €. Quite straightforward. We stayed at the hostel in the Alpera. It is fine.
Our problems with Levante and Sureste came later. Wev found the camino Lana well marked and had no problems finding our way.

I have a list with some more information about places to sleep, but it is much to much "ca" to post here. I can send it to you.
Bjørg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hallo! I have walked Caminos the last weeks, so my answer comes now:
When you leave Alicante, it is possible to stay in Orito. There is something called Casa del Peregrino. We saw signs, but did not stop, so I do not know what it is. We stayed in Monforte del Cid the first night. There is a single hotel Hotel Avenida. € 63 for half board for two.
Next day Novelda have an albergue. Elda Petra have hostels and hotels. I do not know anything about them. We went from Monforte to Sax. In Sax there is a three-star hotel with special rates for pilgrims, Hotel Fuente del Cura. It was a top place to stay! Very pilgrim-friendly. We paid 60 € for the two of us with half board.
Next day in Villena we stayed at the hotel Salvadora. We could not find anything else in the city. € 50 without breakfast. From Villena it is important to choose the right. Remember that in Villena Sureste and Lana split up. This is very well marked in Villena. We followed the Lana-route. If you have old descriptions of this route, they will send you via La Encina. Because of much construction of new infrastructure in the area, routes have been changed, and the natural choice, as far as I understand, is going to Caudete and from there to Almansa. The road to Caudete was well marked and we had no troubles finding our way. A good reason to go that way is that Caudete have an active Pilgrim Society and a great albergue (Santa Ana). It was a good experience to stay there.
Then we stopped in Almansa and Alpera. In Almansa we were recommended Hostal Estudio, but there was full. We stayed in a Pension in the center for 35 €. Quite straightforward. We stayed at the hostel in the Alpera. It is fine.
Our problems with Levante and Sureste came later. Wev found the camino Lana well marked and had no problems finding our way.

I have a list with some more information about places to sleep, but it is much to much "ca" to post here. I can send it to you.
Bjørg

Thanks/Takk Bjoerg. All noted. I can't believe the my Australian friend had so much trouble finding a place to stay. He did say he was walking with a Danish friend who wouldn't walk more than around 20 km a day. Perhaps that was the problem! Well, I'll have to do this very soon. Will kepp you posted. Best. Kev

Good morning every body,
I am Spanish/French and wanted to walk the Levante since quite a while. Part of my family originates from the vicinity of Alpera (Valle del Jucar), I wanted to offer this Camino to my ancestors.
From 17 June to 13 August 2015, I walked from Almansa to Santiago via Zamora in 26 days, and I have to say that out of my six Camino this has been the worse by far. I got lost multiple times especially because Levante and Sureste are competing all the time, the marks are poorly maintained and you also have the Camino de Quijote during a number of days that can be a source of confusion.
But this is the magic Camino, after having suffered a lot, I have only one very strong desire: to prepare my 7th Camino, and give Camino to my feet next year. I would like to walk Ruta de la Lana (from Alicante to Burgos) then would like to find portions of Camino Olvidado then Camino de Invierno, alternatives to the awful Camino Frances... Otherwise I will walk the Faro-Santiago Camino Portugues...
Please feel free to tell me if you've been doing a similar Pilgrimage...
Julio Santiago,
Portsmouth UK.

Hi, Julio,

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find there's a small but loyal group of us on the forum who are always searching for the less traveled caminos.

I've walked some of the routes you mentioned (Olvidado, Invierno, Levante), and have blogs on all of them -- I've got links to them in my signature below. I'm sorry you got so lost on the Levante -- did you have the guidebook put out by the Camino Association in Valencia? They have terrific maps, and I thought their walking instructions are generally terrific.

If you walk the Olvidado, don't even think of missing the day from Fasgar or the day into Cistierna -- they are days of incredible mountain beauty. Buen camino, Laurie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I would like to walk Ruta de la Lana (from Alicante to Burgos) then would like to find portions of Camino Olvidado

A good way to walk from Burgos to the Camino Olvidado would be following the Vía Verde Santander Mediterráneo... if it finally is ended. You would join the Olvidado close to Pedrosa de Valdeporres.

Thank You Laurie, I thank your reply, but unless I am mistaken, the link is olvidado ! Leads nowhere to your 2014 epic journey !
Otherwise we have practically walked the same Caminos.
My preferred so far "Salvador mountain part & Primitivo", I imagine the Olvidado will be offering similar satisfactions.
Kind Regards,
Julio

A good way to walk from Burgos to the Camino Olvidado would be following the Vía Verde Santander Mediterráneo... if it finally is ended. You would join the Olvidado close to Pedrosa de Valdeporres.
Gracias Amigo.
Julio Santiago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hola de nuevo, creo que me has dado una muy buena indicación. Voy a estudiar la bien a fondo.
Otro Saludo,
Julio Santiago

Thank You Laurie, I thank your reply, but unless I am mistaken, the link is olvidado ! Leads nowhere to your 2014 epic journey !
Otherwise we have practically walked the same Caminos.
My preferred so far "Salvador mountain part & Primitivo", I imagine the Olvidado will be offering similar satisfactions.
Kind Regards,
Julio

Hi, Julio, I see you saw the post on the forum about the Olvidado, but I'll put in the link to my blog here in case you are still having trouble accessing them (I am not very tech-savvy, but I think they should still be working!).

Olvidado (2014): http://caminoolvidado.blogspot.com
Here's a route you might also consider -- Norte to Lebaniego to Vadiniense (and then SAlvador/Primitivo from Leon)(2012) : http://caminovadiniense.blogspot.com

Just back from the Cami St. Jaume/Cami Catalan (started in Llanca, down to Montserrat, then through Huesca and over to the Aragones) and if I ever get the time, I will do a write-up on that trip as well! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Julio, I see you saw the post on the forum about the Olvidado, but I'll put in the link to my blog here in case you are still having trouble accessing them (I am not very tech-savvy, but I think they should still be working!).

Here's a route you might also consider -- Norte to Lebaniego to Vadiniense (and then SAlvador/Primitivo from Leon)(2012) : http://caminovadiniense.blogspot.com

Just back from the Cami St. Jaume/Cami Catalan (started in Llanca, down to Montserrat, then through Huesca and over to the Aragones) and if I ever get the time, I will do a write-up on that trip as well! Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you for your reply Laurie.
The Camino Catalan is also on my to do list.
Kind Regards

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good morning every body,
I am Spanish/French and wanted to walk the Levante since quite a while. Part of my family originates from the vicinity of Alpera (Valle del Jucar), I wanted to offer this Camino to my ancestors.
From 17 June to 13 August 2015, I walked from Almansa to Santiago via Zamora in 26 days, and I have to say that out of my six Camino this has been the worse by far. I got lost multiple times especially because Levante and Sureste are competing all the time, the marks are poorly maintained and you also have the Camino de Quijote during a number of days that can be a source of confusion.
But this is the magic Camino, after having suffered a lot, I have only one very strong desire: to prepare my 7th Camino, and give Camino to my feet next year. I would like to walk Ruta de la Lana (from Alicante to Burgos) then would like to find portions of Camino Olvidado then Camino de Invierno, alternatives to the awful Camino Frances... Otherwise I will walk the Faro-Santiago Camino Portugues...
Julio Santiago,
Portsmouth UK.
Hola, Julio!

Was it you when we met and had a short conversation just before Chinchilla Monte Aragon? I was resting in the shade of a tree and your plan was to get to Albacete that same day?

Hi Amigo del Camino,
Yes, it was me and I reached Albacete this day, staying at the Hostal Atienzar. Chinchilla was a nightmare, if you remember a very long section through the empty phantom industrial estates...
Kind Regards from UK.

Hi Amigo del Camino,
Yes, it was me and I reached Albacete this day, staying at the Hostal Atienzar. Chinchilla was a nightmare, if you remember a very long section through the empty phantom industrial estates...
Kind Regards from UK.
Nice to have you on the forum!

I think the righthand (considering the main road between Chinchilla and Albacete) is Sureste, because my gathered info directed me to the left and through the fields. I will post day-by-day journal with photos and gps tracks after return and we can have more discussion to clear out some mysteries regarding intertwined Sureste and Levante.
But I do remember your remark in one of the albergues guest books about bad markings etc. :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola de nuevo, creo que me has dado una muy buena indicación. Voy a estudiar la bien a fondo.

The Santander Mediterráneo was a never finished railway that pretended to link Santander with Valencia but it just arrived till the North of Burgos province (and that part was closed to traffic something like 30 years ago except a few kms out of Burgos that are -were?- used for cargo). Info about the line, including an abstract of its (interesting) history can be found (in Spanish) at www.abuaf.com/sm/index.htm If you are interested on it, look online for info about the history of the túnel de la Engaña.

The Vía Verde isn't finished yet and I don't know when it'll be finished. Works started years ago, stopped, were started again... There are parts that are already converted into a Vía Verde but they are just parts and you would find long parts that aren't converted yet. Once the Vía Verde is finished, it will be a great way to link the Ruta de la Lana with the Olvidado but I'm afraid you'll have to wait (some) years to see the Vía Verde finished... I'm sorry if I created too much expectatives with my previous post. The route of the former Railway may give you some tips to design your own route though.

Hello Laurie,
Do you know where I could find good / reliable informations or notes on the Camino Viejo ? As I understand it is a different branch (initiates near Pamplona ?) joining the Camino Olvidado somewhere in Aguilar de Campo. I would like to reach Santiago from Alicante or Almansa (Camino de la Lana) without touching (or barely) the Camino Frances. Then I can see Camino de Invierno at the end and part of Viejo+Olvidado in the middle section.
I have another project that is Portugal from Faro, I will post this query on the dedicated forum for Caminos en Portugal.
Kind Regards

Good morning every body,
I would like to walk Ruta de la Lana (from Alicante to Burgos) then would like to find portions of Camino Olvidado then Camino de Invierno, alternatives to the awful Camino Frances... Otherwise I will walk the Faro-Santiago Camino Portugues...
Julio Santiago,
Portsmouth UK.

Hi, I'm planning to do the last two days of the Lana from Santo Domingo de Silos to Burgos (having done Alicante to Alpera last year - Cuenca will have to wait ...), and then, like you, try to avoid the Francés. I thought I'd then try to head over the cantabrian mountains and hook onto the camino del Norte. GR 73 from Herrera de Pisuerga goes to the coast, with a small part on the Olvidado/Viejo, but I'm having trouble finding a footpath from Burgos to HdP, or instead to Aguilar del Campoo.

PS I took the left route from Chinchilla to Albacete and it was fine, very flat, but all fields, with the last of the saffron being harvested and a nice luxurious cup of coffee in the (modern) parador just before Albacete, where the dusty and shabby English and Dutch pilgrims got some funny looks from the chic people staying there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
GR 73 from Herrera de Pisuerga goes to the coast

Yes, but be aware it isn't marked in Castile and León and in Cantabria, although it was marked in the past, it hasn't been mantained so remaining signs (if any) might be fading, hidden by vegetation...

2015 update: I stayed at Orito, very good, one of the best albergues of the Sureste, on the first stage! Listed as donativo, run by the clergy, but the priest even refused when I tried to pay them something. It is next to the church. The Paco Serra guide of 2010 says "only large groups" but I was alone and no-one mentioned any of this. I think it's perfect to stay there but the good thing is, if you want to push on, next town is just 4kms away and then 4 more kms for the next. There were at least two bars and a restaurant, but being sort of a summer town, with people on vacation, I don't know how many of them are open out of season. No supermercado that I could see. Beautiful and calm, perfect stop for 1st stage!

/BP

Most read last week in this forum

Looking for someone to share a taxi to Sarria from Santiago Airport on Sunday 28th April. Flight due to arrive at 4.15pm We are a party of 2 people

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back