• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Granada - Córdoba

eze

Time of past OR future Camino
Francès 2005/2006
Norte 2007
Plata 2008
Eze (home) Roma
Mozarabe April 2014 (Granada-Cordoba) March 2016 (Córdoba-Merida)
Camino Gironès September 2014 (La Jonquera-Vic)
Hello to you all,

We are just back home after having walked that part of Camino Mozarabe. We walked from 22 March 2014 till 28 March 2014.

Stage Granada - 1km straight on after having passed railway tracks. Diner and sleep in Cortijo Torre Abeca.
Nothing special to mention. Good marking. I cannot mention any destination as this hotel is in the middle of nowhere. Very welcoming owner (and cook).
Stage Torre Abeca - Moclin
Guides mention the possibility to cross the railway tracks when you are in line with former albergue de Pinos Puente. It is no more possible. Tracks are closed by recent fences. You have to follow either the AVE (fast train) working site, what we did or follow a parallel path going in the same direction. When arrived to a bridge, you have to cross it to enter Pinos Puente. Good marking as said elsewhere towards Olivares.
Path is a little difficult in some parts due to agricultural machineries but nothing really serious.
We slept in Tozar, a neighbouring village.
Stage Tozar (Moclin) - Alcala la Real
Walked down to meet Camino on a small and quiet road. Where we met the Camino is rougly equidistant from Moclin and Tozar. After having left N432 and passed behind abandoned house (ruin), watch out !
You have to go always straight on, uphill and when you meet a small hito on the left of your walk, you carry on downhill (there is not any more camino). When arrived (300m may be) to the dense foliage covered ravine, then follow it on the right uphill this time. It is rather steep. You will find a tiny track that you follow
until you find a much larger gravel path. Go left (uphill) to find again yellow arrows. Keep in mind, when arrived at previously mentioned ravine, that you have to reach the white farm that is situated on your right not the one that is in front of you.
Before arriving in Ventas del Carrizal, arrows send you to an underground pass under N432. As underground pass was full of water, we had to follow N432 on 400m, take the exit on the right side of it, pass under 432 on a short road tunnel, turn left uphill to meet the Camino and turn right towards the end of the stage. When Camino reach again N432, you have to cross it (be very careful) and step over crash barriers to reach the former N432 to enter Ventas del Carrizal.

Afterwards, there is not much to write about, if, by places, marking is quite rare specially when crossing olive groves that is actually your daily activity. You have to be permanently very watchful.

I will be pleased to answer your questions as i was pleased to read, before beginning this Camino, your comments and recommendations. We shall leave again home in three weeks time to join Córdoba to walk the second part of this Camino to Merida that we already know having walk Camino de la Plata in totality a few years ago.

Please forgive my english...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, eze,
So good to hear from you. I always think of you fondly when I remember how you helped me buy my one and only online RENFE ticket at a huge discount many years ago!

Walking Granada-Mérida-Santiago is sharing top billing on my list of "next caminos" (along with the Cami St. Jaume from St. Pere de Rodas), so I look forward to your updates from Córdoba to Mérida.

So did you stick to the mundicamino stages from Alcalá la Real to Córdoba? It shows:

Alcaudtete (27 km)
Baena (30)
Castro de Río (20)
Córdoba (36)

These notes will be very helpful to future pilgrims, it gives us a good base to work on. But it does seem like the arrow situation has improved since some of the other forum members undertook to walk from Granada to Córdoba. That´s always a much welcomed development.

Buen camino on Córdoba to Mérida, looking forward to hearing how it goes. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Yes, i do remember our previous messages.
Yes, we followed the stages you mentioned above. If someone request it, i will give the names of the hotels we stayed at as there are no albergues available, at least to my knowledge. Actually, we never used any albergue at all during our pilgrimages.
I also will give costs and reviews according to our experience.
Yes, i will willingly continue reporting our walk but not before mi may.
No, half of the part we walked, specially in the countryside, is badly marked. It s ok for the towns or around the towns but since you start going into the olive groves you can easily be lost.

Let me add that i just mentioned stages on which we had problems. If someone is interested in, i can add comments on those stages.

All the best Laurie !

PS : we, also, are considering a future walk on the Catalan but the one going to Huesca and farther to Jaca (Puente la Reina) as walking the Frances we passed in Puente la Reina a few years ago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello to you all,

We are just back home after having walked that part of Camino Mozarabe. We walked from 22 March 2014 till 28 March 2014.

Stage Granada - 1km straight on after having passed railway tracks. Diner and sleep in Cortijo Torre Abeca.
Nothing special to mention. Good marking. I cannot mention any destination as this hotel is in the middle of nowhere. Very welcoming owner (and cook).
Stage Torre Abeca - Moclin
Guides mention the possibility to cross the railway tracks when you are in line with former albergue de Pinos Puente. It is no more possible. Tracks are closed by recent fences. You have to follow either the AVE (fast train) working site, what we did or follow a parallel path going in the same direction. When arrived to a bridge, you have to cross it to enter Pinos Puente. Good marking as said elsewhere towards Olivares.
Path is a little difficult in some parts due to agricultural machineries but nothing really serious.
We slept in Tozar, a neighbouring village.
Stage Tozar (Moclin) - Alcala la Real
Walked down to meet Camino on a small and quiet road. Where we met the Camino is rougly equidistant from Moclin and Tozar. After having left N432 and passed behind abandoned house (ruin), watch out !
You have to go always straight on, uphill and when you meet a small hito on the left of your walk, you carry on downhill (there is not any more camino). When arrived (300m may be) to the dense foliage covered ravine, then follow it on the right uphill this time. It is rather steep. You will find a tiny track that you follow
until you find a much larger gravel path. Go left (uphill) to find again yellow arrows. Keep in mind, when arrived at previously mentioned ravine, that you have to reach the white farm that is situated on your right not the one that is in front of you.
Before arriving in Ventas del Carrizal, arrows send you to an underground pass under N432. As underground pass was full of water, we had to follow N432 on 400m, take the exit on the right side of it, pass under 432 on a short road tunnel, turn left uphill to meet the Camino and turn right towards the end of the stage. When Camino reach again N432, you have to cross it (be very careful) and step over crash barriers to reach the former N432 to enter Ventas del Carrizal.

Afterwards, there is not much to write about, if, by places, marking is quite rare specially when crossing olive groves that is actually your daily activity. You have to be permanently very watchful.

I will be pleased to answer your questions as i was pleased to read, before beginning this Camino, your comments and recommendations. We shall leave again home in three weeks time to join Córdoba to walk the second part of this Camino to Merida that we already know having walk Camino de la Plata in totality a few years ago.

Please forgive my english...

Thanks for your posting I am planning to depart the beginning of October 2014, Granada, Cordoba,Merida Santiago. I walked the Via de la Plata last year so will go via Astorga this time. Did you come across any Albergues between Granada and Melrida or is it all Hostels and Casa Rurals? Thanks again

There is a diversion that would shorten the way by 87 km if you link the Mozárabe with Vía de la Plata in Aldeanueva del Camino instead of Merida. This diversion brings you through g0rgeous Trujillo and Plasencia, and crossing the impressive Monfragüe National Park. This article can give you some information (unfortunately is in Spanish)

http://www.periodicodelcamino.com/camino-mozarabe-a-santiago-por-trujillo-monfrague-y-plasencia/

You take this diversion in Magacela, I believe, already in the province of Badajoz.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a diversion that would shorten the way by 87 km if you link the Mozárabe with Vía de la Plata in Aldeanueva del Camino instead of Merida. This diversion brings you through g0rgeous Trujillo and Plasencia, and crossing the impressive Monfragüe National Park. This article can give you some information (unfortunately is in Spanish)

http://www.periodicodelcamino.com/camino-mozarabe-a-santiago-por-trujillo-monfrague-y-plasencia/

You take this diversion in Magacela, I believe, already in the province of Badajoz.

Wow, thanks, Amancio. This Camino is high on my 2015 list, and I like the alternative, not so much because it shortens the walk but because it takes me through new territory. The article you linked has good information on stages, and supposedly the marking is good as well.

Do you know anyone who has walked it? Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks for your posting I am planning to depart the beginning of October 2014, Granada, Cordoba,Merida Santiago. I walked the Via de la Plata last year so will go via Astorga this time. Did you come across any Albergues between Granada and Melrida or is it all Hostels and Casa Rurals? Thanks again

Hi, iscrotie, I haven't yet walked this route but have been collecting information. Here's a guide in English published by an association and there is accommodation infor there.

http://www.caminomozarabedesantiago.es/documentos/guia-eng.pdf

I hope you will report back on this route, also check out Bjorts' posts for more info. Laurie

Hi,
Since the very first pilgrimage, we have decided not to sleep in Albergues. Any Camino we walked on, we slept in fondas, pensiones, hostales and once a Parador...

So, i am not at all the most qualified to talk about this subject.

Nevertheless, when we walked Mozarabe, i noticed that there is one in Pinos Puente, a village between Atarfe and Moclin. First stage. A modern and recent one. There is one in Castro del Rio, cheap one but away from the village, in Hinojosa del Duque, in a convent (ladies). To my knowledge, that's all. Mozarabe, at least in these first stages, doesn't offer the same lodging structures as Camino Francès. I remember having talked to a german pilgrim who was amont six others, who said that they have slept in small hostals or pensiones as albergues are so rare.

When preparing the second part of the walk from Cordoba to Merida (already crossed when walking la Plata way) i had noted that there are Dutch residents offering lodging to pilgrims in Cerro Muriano, first stage after having left Cordoba. We shall not walk this part of Mozarabe, at least for the time being. Next month, we begin Catalan in La Junquera (Spanish french border) targeting to stop two stages after Montserrat.

If you read french, perhaps can you have a glance to our site cited in reference on which you will get some additional information about this part of Mozarabe.

Buen Camino !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wow, thanks, Amancio. This Camino is high on my 2015 list, and I like the alternative, not so much because it shortens the walk but because it takes me through new territory. The article you linked has good information on stages, and supposedly the marking is good as well.

Do you know anyone who has walked it? Buen camino, Laurie

Bueno, laurie, if you come to my home land (Granada), do let me know! I missed meeting you with Ender a couple of months ago just by a few days, I believe.

There is an albergue in Pinos Puente (the same Catholic order which runs the one in Alcuéscar), and in Baena I believe there is another one too. The Trujillo-Plasencia diversion sounds quite interesting, actually. There is further information somewhere in the yello Spanish forum, which is slowly languishing...

Bueno, laurie, if you come to my home land (Granada), do let me know! I missed meeting you with Ender a couple of months ago just by a few days, I believe.

There is an albergue in Pinos Puente (the same Catholic order which runs the one in Alcuéscar), and in Baena I believe there is another one too. The Trujillo-Plasencia diversion sounds quite interesting, actually. There is further information somewhere in the yello Spanish forum, which is slowly languishing...

Hi, amancio,

The route from Granada is very enticing, especially with this alternative.

I am sorry I missed you on the Olvidado. It was a great treat to have time with Ender, and Rebekah came too.

I will be sure to let you know if I start in Granada. BTW, I have also noticed that the Spanish forum seems to be dying a slow death. It's too bad because there are a lot of very knowledgeable people there. Are there other forums in Spanish that people have moved over to?

Hi Laurie @peregrina2000 and others,

Thanks for the link Laurie but I don't see any specific details about accommodations.

According to my investigations the first 3 days require staying in alternative accommodations unless you stop in Pino Puente instead of in Monclín as the first stage. This is what I found on Mundicamino (don't know if up to date) and Gronze (only information from Granada to Córdoba.

Stage 1 Granada-Monclín (Casa Rural/Albergue las Brisas, private 20 euros) or stop earlier at Pino Puente (donativo opened in 2012). From Gronze: En Pinos Puente se ha inauguró, en el año 2012, un refugio específico para peregrinos; situado en el Plantel, antes de cruzar el puente a la derecha, 10 camas, frigorífico, microondas, servicios con agua caliente y tel. 639-65-08-85. También funciona como sede de la Asociación Granada Jacobea.
Stage 2 to Alcalá la Real: Hotel Hospedería Zacatín (tel. 953-58-03-01): single 27,50 off season. I just sent them off an email to ask if they have a special price for pilgrims. Will report back when I have information. Per Gronze site they give a good discount to pilgrims. Will see.
Stage 3 Alcaudete: I see there are 2 pensiones per the Mundicamino site but no price is given nor email address/website. Per Gronze: hostal Spa Rueda (tel. 953-56-10-12). Los peregrinos también tienen la posibilidad de dormir en los vestuarios del polideportivo, para ello deben dirigirse a la Policía Local.
Pilgrim can apparently stay in the polideportivo and would need to go to the local Police for information.
Stage 4 Baena: Per Gronze: En Baena (20.000 habitantes), en la parte más alta de la ciudad, hay el precioso albergue/casa rural Ruta del Califato (tel. 656-25-27-17), con un precio para los peregrinos de 14 euros con desayuno incluido. Según la asociación de Granada también hay la posibilidad de acogida parroquial, en la parroquia de Ntra. Señora de Guadalupe (tel. 957-67-09-44).
Here a private albergue for 14 euros including breakfast or a parish accommodation.
Stage 5 Castro del Río:
Per Gronze: En Castro del Río se inauguró, en octubre de 2012, un albergue de peregrinos (Nota de Gronze: Agradeceríamos que algún peregrino nos informara de la dirección, número de plazas y precio. Gracias.). No indication of price. Opened in 2012.
Stage 6 Córdoba:Hostal Alcazo 14 euros
To break up stage 6 (Castro del Río to Córdoba is 40.2 km) it is possible to stay in Santa Cruz. Per Gronze it is possible to stay in the Casa Cultural belonging to the ayuntamiento. There are also hostales.
Aparently the entrance to the Mezquita-Catedral in Córdoba is free before 10 a.m., after 8 euros.
Stage 7 Cerro Muriano: Dutch couple in their own home. Donativo. Lovely people, I met them during the last Encentro de Hospitaleros.
Stage 8 Villaharta?
Stage 9 Alcaracajos: donativo
Stage 10 Hinojosa de Duque: municipal
Stage 11 Monterrubio: parroquial
Stage 12 Campanano: municipal
Stage 13 Medellín: donativo
Stage 14 Mérida: municipal

If anyone has any recent information would appreciate it. Due to economical reasons prefer to stay in municipal or parroquial albergues.

I may be leaving very soon and will need to find a guide asap or else will print information from the Gronze site for the section Granada-Córdoba and information form the Amigos for the rest.

Cheers,
LT

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is also a municipal albergue in San Pedro de Mérida - though we did not stay there. Have a great time!

Hi Laurie @peregrina2000 and others,

Thanks for the link Laurie but I don't see any specific details about accommodations.
LT

Hi, LT
I am not sure, but I think I must have been referring to those little boxes up in the top right hand corner that indicate with a check mark which towns have accommodation.

If you are having trouble putting stages together that will work for you, I have always found that an email to the regional association(s) can be very helpful. I got a lot of good information from various catalan groups trying to help Eze put together a route on the Cami Catala. And for the Olvidado, not only did I get a lot of good information, but the guy who wrote me came to our hotel in Villasana to meet us and then walked with us the next day (on a day we would have gotten lost a bunch of times without him!) -- just saying that you never know who is reading the emails. The groups are eager to promote their caminos to peregrinos and are usually very glad to give you all the information you want and then some.

Well, anyway, sorry for the little tangent, but I hope you find all the info you need to get you out there and feeling comfortable! Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks all! Tomorrow I get into Granada around noon so I will have time to visit the city and get to the Amigos office in time. I have had e-mail contact with them and so assume that I will received all the information I need. I am going to download their guía onto my ereader so I should be sent.

Not getting excited yet. I have everything on the floor waiting to pack my backpack. Tomorrow up at 4 a.m to catch the train to the airport for my 6.55 flight.

To be continued on the other thread.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back