• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions on the Camino Aragones

One Foot

We're planning to walk a section of the Camino de Santiago (probably from Burgos to Santiago) in August/September and then head east to walk part of the Camino Aragones and into France. At the moment we're looking at going from Jaca to Pau but we've just started planning this and would appreciate a few tips.

1. Can the same credencial we'd use on the Camino de Santiago be used for the Camino Aragones? If so, does it become invalid if you get your certificate in Santiago?

2. What kind of walking conditions can we expect between Jaca and Pau? Is there a dedicated walking track or will we find ourselves shunted onto the road. I've had a look at the google road view and in places the road looks like its fairly dangerous for walking on.

3. Any places recommended to stay/eat on the way?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can continue to use your credential.

Jaca to Pau is backward, so finding the waymarks will be tricky. That may force you onto roads. I suggest maps and a guidebook. The Miam Miam Dodo is excellent for the section in France. I used internet sources for the part in Spain, both Mundicamino and Eroski.

http://www.amazon.fr/Arles-2014-2015-à-Puente---Reina/dp/2916446443/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1395831443&sr=8-5&keywords=miam miam dodo
http://www.mundicamino.com/ingles/rutas.cfm?id=20
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/aragones/

Also good, and it has the route to Jaca: http://www.amazon.fr/dp/2751404251/

Last edited by a moderator:
We're planning to walk a section of the Camino de Santiago (probably from Burgos to Santiago) in August/September and then head east to walk part of the Camino Aragones and into France. At the moment we're looking at going from Jaca to Pau but we've just started planning this and would appreciate a few tips.

1. Can the same credencial we'd use on the Camino de Santiago be used for the Camino Aragones? If so, does it become invalid if you get your certificate in Santiago?

2. What kind of walking conditions can we expect between Jaca and Pau? Is there a dedicated walking track or will we find ourselves shunted onto the road. I've had a look at the google road view and in places the road looks like its fairly dangerous for walking on.

3. Any places recommended to stay/eat on the way?

Hi One Foot, As Falcon said you will be walking backwards. From Somport Pass to Pau you will be on the GR653 and it is marked in both directions with red and white blazes. From the tunnel after Somport to Accous the GR route is not sanctioned so you will be on the road. It is narrow at times and is the only road over the pass so there will be some trucks. My wife and I walked it last spring and had no problems. From Accous to Oloron Ste. Marie the GR653 is ok except in very wet and rainy conditions. If that's the case I suggest the road. It's not bad at all from Escot on. A great Gite in Pau is 'Campostellae', run by a lovely host, Martine Réau, (www.campostellae.fr) and email at martine.reau@pau.fr Reservations are a must here and really help in France. As Falcon said, the Miam Miam Dodo is the best. Very pleasant walk from Jaca to Somport, gradually uphill until Canfranc Estaçion where it will be fairly steep up to the Somport Pass, once again, the road is recommended in bad weather. Enjoy, Buen Camino, Bon Chemin
Dayton and Karen

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks very much for the replies and the information. We aren't worried about finding the route but as said on the original message our only concern would be if we ended up walking on what could be a potentially busy road. We'll give it some thought and continue our investigations.

Falcon. We'd considered going the 'correct' direction and may still do it yet. I've picked up a book on the Chemin d'Arles which seems quite thorough although I've yet to work through it in detail.

Karen. We've made a note of that gite, thanks.

I am planning to walk the Camino Aragones next year (in May or June?) from Oloron St Marie til Puenta de la Reina.
Now I have more or less an idea how to get from Brussels to Oloron by the TGV-train but how do I get back from Puenta de la Reina towards Brussels by train or by plane? Has someone had experience about this journey?
Thank you and wishing you all a Happy New Year

I am planning to walk the Camino Aragones next year (in May or June?) from Oloron St Marie til Puenta de la Reina.
Now I have more or less an idea how to get from Brussels to Oloron by the TGV-train but how do I get back from Puenta de la Reina towards Brussels by train or by plane? Has someone had experience about this journey?
Thank you and wishing you all a Happy New Year

Hi Frans,

Buscompany La Estellesa has a line from Puente La Reina to Irun. Daily bus leaving 11 am , arrving two hours later.
From Irun you could take TGV to Paris, then Brussels.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back