• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Injury stopping me training

Gillyweb

Time of past OR future Camino
Villafranca - Santiago (2013)
SJPP - Santiago (2014)
Portugues (2017)
Not long after Christmas (so three months ago) I felt a small niggle of a pain just under my butt on my right leg. I thought it would go but it's been getting worse and now after a mile or two spreads down my whole leg : fear it's a ham string thing..... Seeing an osteopath today but going to be devastated if it's a problem - I start in July. Any advice from other walkers who've experienced similar.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not long after Christmas (so three months ago) I felt a small niggle of a pain just under my butt on my right leg. I thought it would go but it's been getting worse and now after a mile or two spreads down my whole leg : fear it's a ham string thing..... Seeing an osteopath today but going to be devastated if it's a problem - I start in July. Any advice from other walkers who've experienced similar.
My advice would be to find a well-recommended physiotherapist who is known to be experienced in sport-related injuries.

Obviously see the doctor. It may be sciatica. If so you may find it disturbing you at other times like in bed or if sitting for a while. This may not stop you going.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I encountered a knee injury which sidelined my training for all of January. Definitely see a doc and physio but don't discount a month of rest. If you are already in reasonable shape this time away from training won't stop you but pushing too hard may. I leave SJPP on April 25.

This is my experience / bias only of course, but the one doctor who really helped me understand this whole back/butt/leg/sciatica pain issue was/is John Sarno, MD.
Had an injury/ herniated disk 24 yrs ago and felt my life was over - literally. Had to re-learn to walk etc. The book a friend gave me is called "mind over back pain" - and now he has cd's out as well: "Healing Back pain". -- have a listen - you can probably listen to it on iTunes etc or order it via kindle, dunno. his approach/insights worked for me and dozens of people i personally know. but i know that there are plenty of people for whom an approach other than therapy/surgery/meds and lab tests won't 'do'. - very best wishes, Claudia

I'm not a physician. Last summer I noticed diminished sensation/numbness on my left side, mostly lower leg/foot and lower arm/hand. MRIs and x-rays of my neck, lower back, and brain showed herniated cervical (neck) and lumbar (lower back) discs but no cause for the diminished sensation/numbness. I became so aware of the condition, and lack of a cause, that it distracted me throughout the day and night. In early January I decided for myself that walking would be the best "treatment" -- I was athletic but spent many hours at a desk.

I stopped noticing the numbness before I reached Roncesvalles, and due to an unrelated camino injury finished the last 120 kilometers to Santiago on crutches.

I have been back home now for about a month and am aware of the numbness but no longer distracted or concerned because I was able to walk my camino and return in better health than when I left.

The camino for me was a powerful religious experience but I don't believe the Way bestows magical healing power on pilgrims. I do believe it can help pilgrims achieve goals they otherwise might not achieve, in mind and body.

My advice, for what's its worth as a non-physician, is to consult a doctor to rule out a detectable or serious illness or injury, and in the absence of such resume training with the hope to make your camino this summer.

(By the way, I found that ibuprofen relieved the sort of pain you describe and a host of other pains one encounters on the camino.)

Be well and Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.