• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel recommendation in Lyon (en route to Le Puy)

Desota

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring (2014)- Le Puy route
Hello all,

I am taking the train from CDG to Lyon and thought I would stay there for the night. Does anyone have a hotel recommendation? Is it worth it to stop here? I figured it might be a good idea since I will have traveled from California and I may be a bit wonked. I'll be arriving here on a Friday.

The following day I plan to find a Sim card for my phone. And perhaps a trekking pole at a hiking store. This will be a Saturday and stores should be open. Then find my way to Le Puy by train or bus.

thanks for any recommendations.
Desota

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Desota,

Check out this earlier Forum thread on getting the best out of Lyon.
Both the food and architecture are GREAT! You'll have a fine time.

May 1 is a national holiday in France (Fête du Travail ) and MANY tourists will be traveling on the days before and after; be prepared!

Bon Chemin,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Hello all,

I am taking the train from CDG to Lyon and thought I would stay there for the night. Does anyone have a hotel recommendation? Is it worth it to stop here? I figured it might be a good idea since I will have traveled from California and I may be a bit wonked. I'll be arriving here on a Friday.

The following day I plan to find a Sim card for my phone. And perhaps a trekking pole at a hiking store. This will be a Saturday and stores should be open. Then find my way to Le Puy by train or bus.

thanks for any recommendations.
Desota

Hi Desota, If you can go from CDG via train to Part Dieu station in Lyon you can stay at the Novotel Lyon La Part Dieu. It's only 130 meters from the train station. Easy to get to some great sections of Lyon and you can get the train to Le Puy right from there. It usually has an easy transfer in Sainte Etienne then on to Le Puy. If you take an early train you'll have almost a whole day in Le Puy. The Novotel was reasonable, had a restaurant and right at the station.
Dayton and Karen

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would avoid the Best Western Crequi! Thanks to Trip Advisor though, hundreds of people have read my review:

Noisey, stinking room”
x.gif
Reviewed May 24, 2011
We hoped for Best Western standards here, and instead found the worst value of the trip. The air conditioner reeked of urine, so we turned it off and opened the window. They repeatedly rolled a cart of laundery back and forth over a wooden boardwalk just outside our window at 3 AM
Breakfast was a second treat. $42 for two, there were no tables cleared because the staff was standing right outside the door smoking. Scrambled eggs were ice cold instant things with a fishy taste. Boiled eggs were available---if you cooked them yourself.

One of the most memorable nights of my Camino was staying in the Parador in Lyon, I am so glad we splurged for the night though I don't think it was expensive but compared to our other other accommodation is was, "Parador Hostal San Marcos" and the price I think was 110 Euros and included a really good breakfast. It was a Convent and has a Church connected to the building and a Museum, I did not have time to check out the Museum but hopefully I will walk again.
While the furniture and fittings in the rooms are a little dated our room was extremely clean, very comfy beds and great shower. The building was started in 1515 replacing another building that was pulled down.

Desota, We spent one night in Lyon on our way from Le Puy to Paris at the end of walking the Via Gebennensis in 2012. We stayed in the Hotel Alexandria on Rue Victor Hugo, and were very happy there. The location is no close to Part Dieu, but was within an easy walk of the old town and in the middle of a shopping area. I think you could easily connect via the metro. Wonderful city, with great restaurants and a lively nightlife.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One of the most memorable nights of my Camino was staying in the Parador in Lyon, I am so glad we splurged for the night though I don't think it was expensive but compared to our other other accommodation is was, "Parador Hostal San Marcos" and the price I think was 110 Euros and included a really good breakfast. It was a Convent and has a Church connected to the building and a Museum, I did not have time to check out the Museum but hopefully I will walk again.
While the furniture and fittings in the rooms are a little dated our room was extremely clean, very comfy beds and great shower. The building was started in 1515 replacing another building that was pulled down.

I think Desota is 1200 km before the Parador in Leon Christine.
Must be the rain in Sydney Chris......smiling i hope... and when you walk again please duplicate the paradors in Santa Domingo and Santiago......we are a long time gone mate.

All the above comments are correct Desota
We loved Lyon , it was the capital of France before Paris and is famous for food , culture and as Margaret said architecture.
And after a long flight just enjoy the leisure walking around the city.

Bon courage and chemin Desota,
David

Thanks so much for all your replies! (I have notifications set but clearly they aren't happening for me… so i was missing all this good stuff till today!!!). I've followed many of your leads (thank you Margaret ) so my interest in Lyon has now been elevated beyond just looking for a place to crash. (And i'll keep Christine's reference for the Spanish camino :) ).

Well here's what I ended up doing if anyone is interested. I booked a room in a house on airbnb. i think this will work well. A room with my own bath. Someone to listen politely as I exercise my fledgling abilities in french -- And it's in the Croix-Rousse district which looks like an interesting place to visit!

So two nights in Lyon and two nights in Le Puy. And then I hope to be back in sync with the sunrise.
Now if i can just carry that pack the rest of the way ;)
Peace everyone.
Desota

Forgot one point mate,
If only going to ST J P de P , Orange sim card,
No good in Spain .........Movistar only
No debate

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back