• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Astorga to Santiago in 10 days?

MathildeDD

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
It's my first time on the Camino and I'm wondering if I'll be able to walk from Astorga to Santiago in 10 days in the beginning of July?
And how crowded is there at that time of year? And how HOT? :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can you walk 26km per day? Many can, so ten days is possible. It will be busy and hot, especially in the afternoon sun.

I did Astorga to Santiago in 10 days. Shortest leg was something like 17km (Astorga to Rabanal), longest was 37km (San Xulian to Salceda). Most days were 25km'ish.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did Leon to SdeC in 12 days (taking 2 days to get from Leon to Astorga) so it is possible if you push on a few days - I had a mix of lengths some days were over 30km while others were closer 21km. But it is likely to be busy (especially from Sarria on) and as it is likely to be heating up weatherwise too which tends to lead to some pilgrims setting out in the dark to miss the worst of the heat and to make sure they get a bed where they want.

I did Astorga to Santiago in 11 days, but that was only after doubling up my distance the last day.
Yes, it is hot later in the afternoon but the mornings are cool and pleasant as are the evenings. Drink plenty of water.
Lot's of people on the Camino that time of year. Even busier the last 100 kilometers, and the albergues can get a bit crowded, but I never had any problems finding a bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm a slow pilgrim, it took me two days to walk from Leon to Astorga. Ten days would be out of the question, for me it's the journey anyway.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's my first time on the Camino and I'm wondering if I'll be able to walk from Astorga to Santiago in 10 days in the beginning of July?
And how crowded is there at that time of year? And how HOT? :D
if you like long walking days (+25 km), then yes. it will be more crowded than other times of the year (worse as you approach Santiago and where the french camino joims the other caminos), and it will be hot to very hot in Astorga get cooler in Galicia (but staying warm to very warm).

Walked Astorga to Santiago in 2012, took 12 days + extra day in Santiago, with no rest days which would have been nice in middle. Did in middle 2weeks of June, 20km average p/day. Couple long days needed to do in 10 days. Get good sense of the Camino from Astorga, enjoy and buen camino!!

Do you fly into Santiago to walk from Astorga? I was thinking walking mid September this year. Is there a bus/train service from Santiago to start walking at Astorga?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It depends on how fast you walk and/or how long days you want. On my Camino I did that stretch (starting from Villares de Òbrigo 12 km before Astorga) in 8 days without any stress. But I walk quite fast and I enjoy long days. Most days I think I walk for about 6-8 hours. If you think you maxed out your speed last time you have to consider longer days if the days were long you have to speed up. Simple math :) I guess the heath can be a problem in the afternoon so you might have to leave early in the morning, enjoying the bird song empty streets and see the sun rise. Just don't wake up those who want to sleep a little bit longer.

Maybe I should start walking nearer and say walk 15-20 km per day. I only have 14 days off work. I want to spend a couple of days in Santiago at the end. Which starting point would anyone suggest. Once I know where I am starting I can get going. Thank you all

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I covered that stretch ( from Villares de Orbigo ) in 7 days but like Beatrice, I walk at a brisk pace and I was happy to walk in the full afternoon heat, with your time limits and it being your 1st camino, maybe start a little nearer and have shorter days which would also give you the option of having longer days nearer the end if you find yourself managing well and some extra time in Santiago. Ponferrada makes a nice start point and has good transport links.

Did it in 11 days without any problems.
But it was October 2012, temperature was very nice to walk and there was only 2 days with some rain.
No day under 20 km and no over 30.

It's your choice... and depends of the weather!

Buen camino!

Do you fly into Santiago to walk from Astorga? I was thinking walking mid September this year. Is there a bus/train service from Santiago to start walking at Astorga?

I flew into Santiago, spent the night there and got the morning train to Astorga. I'd recommend booking in advance to get a seat on an express train. Much quicker.

If you fly into Santiago then the temptation to look at the end is really strong. Resist it. I felt like I had cheated by sneaking a look at the cathedral that night.

It's an easy walk to Rabanal if you set off at lunchtime from the station. Or maybe El Ganso if you're late. The walk from the station takes you right past the big albergue where you can get a credencial.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I was hoping to walk that stretch in the fall as well. I may volunteer in an albergue for a couple of weeks before walking. I think I planned about 11 or 12 days, between 20 and 25 km per day. Is the weather as unpredictable towards the end of September as it is in the spring?

Donna

That's confirmed. I will fly into Santiago and then get the train to Astorga. Hopefully I can still get the morning flight into Santiago. I will book a flight for 14 days which gives me enough time. I walk alot of strenuous walks over here so I am so I will be fit enough. It will be 13th to 27th September so the heat will be going by then (perfect for walking). I think the weather is alot more settled in the fall/autumn.
Might see you enroute Donna.
I need to get the funds together first!!
Angie;)

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.