Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recent updates on the Camino de Invierno

peregrina2000

Staff member
A friend from Vigo has just returned home from the Camino de Invierno and has provided these updates (my translation, so errors are mine, not his):

Signage is very good in Bierzo (León) and in Valdeorras (Ourense). All the way through the province of Lugo it is also very good, no problem in the stages going to Quiroga, Monforte de Lemos and Chantada.

Once you get to the province of Pontevedra, after going alongside a long strip of wind turbines along the Faro mountain, when you begin the steep descent (grade of 15%) to the house-fortress of Camba, I would say that the arrows and bollards are much less frequent. To get to Rodeiro you will have to pay careful attention at the intersections, but it is all easy to solve with a quick question. All is forgiven when you get to Rodeiro and receive the incredible hospitality of the Mesón O Guerra. The owner Nélida treats pilgrims very well. She has a hostal in a house nearby where for 20€ you can sleep very comfortably. And the food is great.

Into Lalín the next day there is also a shortage of markings, but it´s a wonderful walk. You will go through forests on the river banks, crossing the Arnego River several times over 8 kms going through the little hamlets of Penerbosa, Penela and Pedroso, where you can see a rock quarry very close-up and enjoy a little church with a beautiful Romanesque doorway. Then there are 10 kms left into Lalín going on earthen tracks, up and down through an area with a lot of animal farming.

In Lalín you have all the services of a growing city, and from there it´s about an hour to the albergue in Laxe, all well marked. Leaving Lalín you go along the riverwalk of the Cabirtas River for two kms. Then you have to cross the general highway near the chapel of O Espiño. Then you will walk through the industrial park, on a sidewalk with many benches, and when you finally go under the autopista through a tunnel, you arrive in Laxe and its albergue.

Once in Laxe, you are on the Camino Sanabrés and there is absolutely no difficulty in reaching Santiago.

Hoping that maybe we´ll see someone on the Invierno this year. I walked a few years ago and saw not one pilgrim till I got to the Sanabrés.

Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Laurie, Thank you for this! I will add it to my notes.

Petro

Definitely useful info @peregrina2000 . Thanks!

I guess I'll be leaving Ponferrada at about 11th or 12th July (after Camino de Madrid and CF from Sahagun). I'm in contact with Penelope from http://www.galiciaholidayrentals.com/ in Castrotane. She told me that their third house (El Piso) is still under some minor construction works, but would be very happy to offer a tired pilgrim a corner to lay his head down :) I'm posting this because Castrotane is nice option to cut that long stretch from Monforte to Chantada into two as I'm planing (A Pobra do Brollon (passing Monforte) - Castrotane = app.23,3km & Castrotane - Chantada = app.the same), since it's just 10km out of Monforte. Penelope also offers some basic food supplies.

Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Kinky, thanks for the suggestion about the stage between Monforte and Chantada. And that house looks very nice! So are you planning on walking Quiroga to Pobra de Brollon and then Pobra to Castrotane? Where will you stay in Pobra? I think I remember that there is some kind of a pension there, but I just took a long rest in the bar and continued on, but the day from Quiroga to Monforte is pretty tiring so this sounds interesting.

Another option is to stay in Monforte and then on the descent before crossing the Minho, (which is then followed by an ascent and a few more kms into Chantada) take a short detour to the lovely Casa Santa Estevo. I've stayed there, one of the owners is a forum member, ribeirasacra, and the house has a terrific view down over the river. http://www.ribeirasacra.com It's very close to the Camino itself, accessible on a footpath, but I don't know if there is signage from the Camino to the house. This part of the Invierno is really pretty. Can't wait to go back. Buen camino, Laurie

So are you planning on walking Quiroga to Pobra de Brollon and then Pobra to Castrotane? Where will you stay in Pobra? I think I remember that there is some kind of a pension there, but I just took a long rest in the bar and continued on, but the day from Quiroga to Monforte is pretty tiring so this sounds interesting.

Yes, Laurie, Quiroga to Pobra is the plan so far. I've made this plan months ago and somewhere I got the info that there is some kind of municipal place for pilgrims in Pobla. Maybe just polideportivo, don't know. But will surely report on that.

I've seen a thread about Ribeira Sacra and photos too. But I'm afraid that will be in-between the stages for me. And also I'll be on a very tight budget, so I guess that will have to wait till I grow up and earn some serious money :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
hello I hope to walk camino madrid, CF then off for a third visit to inverino. perhaps we shall meet

hello I hope to walk camino madrid, CF then off for a third visit to inverino. perhaps we shall meet

Hi, jerbear,

Exactly the same itinerary in my case, starting 20th June from Madrid. When are you planing to walk?
Ultreia!

Hey Kink, looks like I will be ahead of you by a couple of weeks. as i spend several week camping in vigo at the end of hike perhaps the down to cadiz for a spell I go for 10 weeks.
This will be my third time. I camp alot along the way so.....Not in big hurry. Buen camino! jerry

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@econodan
Hi, Dan!

You're welcome. As you can see from previous posts I'll start CdM on 20th June and Invierno approximately 11th July (+2 days???). What's your plan? Maybe we'll meet somewhere on the road :)

Ultreia!

Hi Kinky,
We're still working on flights and precise dates, but it looks like we'll be just a few days behind you (starting on the Invierno around the 14th or 15th). But plans are still fluid. Excited!
Dan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
may 29th depart madrid should make it to santiago in 30 days +- a week lol!

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1: Ponferrada to Villavieja As usual, life has a habit of changing plans so we found ourselves on the Invierno a month later than expected. Regardless though, we are happy to finally get...
If I leave Ponferrada early enough to arrive in Villavieja and spend some time at the castle Cornatel, can I leave the next day, spend some meaningful time beholding las Medulas and Orellan, and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back