• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

panicking today!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've been following this thread with interest. I 'm a big girl at 170 pounds...that could make my pack 17 pounds. I want to take no phone , but an ipad mini for blog and skype, a camera, and a little keyboard as I'm lousy at typing on touchscreen . Also minimal sketchbook and a few pens. I'm an artist/writer so I know I would really use and enjoy these things. Am I asking for permission? Well, maybe. I am going for 6 weeks and walking slowly. Those little electronics really do take up a lot of weight. One question.... hiking June 5-July 15, do I need a lightweight fleece jacket? I have a long-sleeved shirt and light wind shell. I am taking a synthetic Marmot Nanowave 55 bag rather than a down one.

I would take a lightweight fleece, I have been very cold even in the heatwave of the summer 2012. (the walk after leaving Rabanal comes to mind, also walking to Fisterra).

Hey
So now i'v also booked my ticket (one-way) to SJPdP. I'll be arriving the 12th of may. Setting out the next day for Santiago.
Can't say I have really cold feet, but reading all these tips and ideas about what and what not to bring and wear makes me a bitt nervous! Makes me wonder if I should bring rainpants AND a poncho?? I have a backpack with stuff weighing about 8 kg's. Guess nobody can give me any certainties about which gear is the best for me. It's all just so personal. So I think I just have to rely on my own instincts and pack according to them.
The thing most worrying me is actually more the psychological fear creeping in on me. Can I really do this? Am I up to walking every day for a whole month? Can I stand my own company? Will I be able to make new friends? (I'm quite a shy person now and again). I think the same accounts for my emotional fears as for my packing worries: that I will just have to go with the flow and set out with what I think is best, letting the 'Camino provide', as I read so often on this forum. But, hey, I'm still a control freak!

Just wanted to share my thoughts. Love this forum and all it's friendly members!

Greetings, carla

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Carla, your last post struck a chord, I sometimes wonder if all this advice is useful but then I still contribute, in case it helps. I only read forums AFTER I had bought stuff for my 1st camino, i.e. a rucksack and walking poles from ... Lidl! I had no idea whether I would manage to walk for a month, let alone uphill so it never occurred to me to spend a lot of money on equipment... I had no idea. What mattered to me was .. Being able to have a go, having waited so long! (But the Lidl bag was definitely a mistake lol.) i fully expected to be back home after a week or so, if that.
I worried just like you do. I am sure most people do.
I wish you well on your camino.

Last edited:
I've been following this thread with interest. I 'm a big girl at 170 pounds...that could make my pack 17 pounds. I want to take no phone , but an ipad mini for blog and skype, a camera, and a little keyboard as I'm lousy at typing on touchscreen . Also minimal sketchbook and a few pens. I'm an artist/writer so I know I would really use and enjoy these things. Am I asking for permission? Well, maybe. I am going for 6 weeks and walking slowly. Those little electronics really do take up a lot of weight. One question.... hiking June 5-July 15, do I need a lightweight fleece jacket? I have a long-sleeved shirt and light wind shell. I am taking a synthetic Marmot Nanowave 55 bag rather than a down one.

Hi Suzanne, you don't need permission from anyone! Your priorities are personal. No-one, even the most experienced, gets it perfect anyway - after 7 Camino's I still have to make adjustments along the way. But (if it were me) I'd take the sketch pad and pens but leave the camera and keyboard The iPad has a really very good little camera and I'd train myself to use Siri instead of the keyboard. It really helps if items are multi-functional.
Don't be too set on the 10% of weight ratio - when I walked my first Camino I was much heavier than now. So I was already carrying extra weight on my body; the last thing I needed was a heavy pack.
June July on the Frances can get hot. Fleece? I take a lightweight merino cardigan. Take what you already have, no need to buy something special. You don't need a down bag. Just make sure it is one that opens flat. I find it can get quite stifling in summer in a room full of people.

Can I really do this? Am I up to walking every day for a whole month? Can I stand my own company? Will I be able to make new friends?
Questions that are on the mind of every pilgrim before their first pilgrimage? You will find answers to them, and many more questions, as you progress. Part of the awe for many of us is the contrast between the immediate question -- can I take one more step? -- and the long term question -- what am I getting out of this?

Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When travelling I never carry toilet paper. Instead I cut a j-cloth (disposable kitchen cloth) in half, dampen it and carry in a small ziplock bag.
Any mother who's washed diapers will be over the 'ick' that washing it out when used can bring. And there's always somewhere you can wash it within that day.

Thank you, Domigee and Falcon269, for your kind replys.
I have not bought anything new for this trip (apart from a poncho which I'm not sure I will take and I'm looking for a new Mp3 player which will hopefully play a bit longer than half an hour ;) ).
Think I'll be having this moments of worry untill I'm finally on my Way! And then it's too late and I can just relax...I hope ;)

carla

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you, Domigee and Falcon269, for your kind replys.
I have not bought anything new for this trip (apart from a poncho which I'm not sure I will take and I'm looking for a new Mp3 player which will hopefully play a bit longer than half an hour ;) ).
Think I'll be having this moments of worry untill I'm finally on my Way! And then it's too late and I can just relax...I hope ;)

carla
Hi Carla
Exciting isn't it? All the reading of tips and comments to weigh up. It's easy to say 'relax' but hard to do when your brain is conjuring up new scenarios and expectations every waking minute.

Once you're walking - it's a dream.
You will be the most relaxed you'll ever be in your whole life. At one with earth and sky.
Even carrying your backpack,as it will be your 1st best friend, and your shoes/boots and poles if you use them. (Love walking with poles, would hate to be coming down into Roncevales without them).

Re your gear worries, if you don't take your poncho, do you have something for rain? You may be lucky but it would be rare not to have some rain, and the poncho (depending on the type you have) can also cover your backpack. I don't bother with rain pants. I d rather get my trouser bottoms wet, or wear shorts if it's hot. That's the negative with rain cover (pants,jacket, ).when it's hot and you're on a tough section - you can get as hot as hell /sweaty, on the inside. A different matter I'd say packing the pants for a winter walk. Although i felt I had no trouble carrying my backpack weight (my body thought differently )next time I'm hoping to get it down by 2 kgs as my legs swelled after 10 days last time. So remember to drink your water regularly, take rests, even take your boots off for a breather and the socks too. Dip them in that stream if it looks good!

Will u stop 1st night at ORISSON or Roncevales . You will make lots of friends then, if you haven't started out with a group in sjpdp.
I'll bet you're counting sleeps already until you go.

Buen Camino

Annie

Thanks Annie,
it's nice to hear some reassuring words from 'veterans'. I have been walking a lot, in the mountains, but never alone. And never for a whole month. As you say, I am really looking forward to it! In my previous experiences it was as you describe; once you're on your way, you just come in a routine and go with the flow.
Concerning my ponco 'problem': mine is big and fits over my backpack, but I noticed it leaves a big part of my legs bare on the backside!
When will you be starting this year?

Buen Camino to you!

Thanks Annie,
it's nice to hear some reassuring words from 'veterans'. I have been walking a lot, in the mountains, but never alone. And never for a whole month. As you say, I am really looking forward to it! In my previous experiences it was as you describe; once you're on your way, you just come in a routine and go with the flow.
Concerning my ponco 'problem': mine is big and fits over my backpack, but I noticed it leaves a big part of my legs bare on the backside!
When will you be starting this year?

Buen Camino to you!
Hi Carla
Maybe I'm a veteran in years (65), but have only walked Frances last year and Portuguese (Porto-Sdc )in 2012 .
I really only discovered the joy of walking in last 10 years., and the Camino !!!! Well what more can be said.

This year I'll be flying out of Oz 29aug and have 6.5 weeks leave but haven't decided which route I'll take. Reading a few blogs still.

You're fortunate to have mountains nearby you to train in. You'll be super prepared fitness wise.
Your poncho sounds fine. Hopefully you won't have to drag it out much. I got very little rain last year.

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Annie,
I hadn't checked your age and I certainly didn't mean that you were a 'live'veteran! Just saw you had been walking to Santiago a few times ;)

It's fine Carla, I understood how you meant the comment. I just didn't think I deserved the label you gave me as my experience is minimal when you have read the numbers of caminos some of the friends here on the forum have walked. But thank you for the comment .
Annie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was just stuck trying to trim my weight but I just did. I lost all the containers that aren't needed to actually keep things together (ie my sleeping bag). I was also planning to take my camera, iphone (for music only), and tablet (for blogging) plus all the charge cords. I've scrapped all of it except the iphone, which is now my camera and blogging tool - I'm still not turning on the data/cell service though. I'm also bringing a multi-use soap (from a camping store). It's shampoo, conditioner, dish detergent, and clothes detergent in one. I'm probably going to throw in some liquid band-aid, but I figure most over-the-counter pharmacy things I can pick up as I go if needed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also bringing quick-drying pants/shorts (they zip), so I'm not bringing any rain pants.

I don't know - just some ideas. My pack is down to 13.8 lbs sans water/food. Once I add some bug spray and ear plugs (all I have left to buy), I'll still be around 14.

Can you give us a link or picture or brand name of said multi use soap? That sounds like a fab find!

Can you give us a link or picture or brand name of said multi use soap? That sounds like a fab find!

Probably not the specific soap mentioned but Legarto soap is available everywhere in Spain - it's the lovely natural soap we call "Castile" - completely biodegrade. Good for everything.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sure, it's from Sea to Summit and is called Wilderness Wash. I should also note that I'm cutting off all my hair so that I won't need to worry too much about quality of hair product.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.