• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking both ways ( back and forth)

Tamar's camino

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2014 starting in SJPP walking solo :)
Hi everybody !
So I'm planning my first time to do the camino, starting in France.
What do you do when you get to the end? Can you turn around and walk back to France ?
Using the same pilgrim passport? Does anyone do this?
I don't have dates yet but looks like anywhere from middle of June to September , hopefully sooner than September. (This year)
I am reading a book about preparations for this trip and I'm a bit confused as to whether to take a tent with me or not...? I'll be traveling alone ( yikes ) and if anyone out there is traveling during these months, let me know! We can talk:))
Thanks for your time, attention and input!!

Tamar

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A few walk both ways each year. Your credential will fill up, but you can add pages or get another one. Reverse markings are harder to find. They are a spiral blue arrow rather than a yellow arrow. Most pilgrims do not use a tent. It is up to you if you want to carry the weight. Check the Events section at the top of the page to find others who are walking at the same time.

Buen camino!

Congratulations on planning your first Camino! In the Middle Ages, most pilgrims did turn around and walk back home, and I have encountered a few people walking the reverse route, following the blue spiraling arrows. Apparently it can be difficult to stay on course. I assume you can use the same pilgrim passports, but don't know for sure. After reaching Santiago or Finisterre, you could always use your extra time to walk a different, shorter Camino (Del Norte, Primativo, Portuguese).
Regarding the tent, I know two different people who carried tents, but soon sent them home because of the extra weight, very few (legal) camping sites, and mostly because they were lonely in the evening and missed the social life in the albergues. You might start walking alone, but you will soon meet new friends to walk with or spend the evening with in the restaurant, bar, and/or albergue--and you can always be as alone as you want to be.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you falcon and marylynn! Did you guys walk solo initially ?

June, July and August are usuallly extremely hot, sunny, with clear skies. Some people like it, others don't.
Expect lots (really, lots!) of people in summer, specially after crossing the border to Spain.
Pilgrims tend to form informal groups after a while. Actually, it is difficult to walk alone, if you are inclined to do so.
I met a few people doing the reverse route, all of them solo. Doing it in Camino Frances in Spain should not be a problem except for some mountain passes. If you are in doubt, wait some minutes and you will see pilgrims coming in your direction. It is quite crowded between June-Sept.
Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everybody !
So I'm planning my first time to do the camino, starting in France.
What do you do when you get to the end? Can you turn around and walk back to France ?
Using the same pilgrim passport? Does anyone do this?
I don't have dates yet but looks like anywhere from middle of June to September , hopefully sooner than September. (This year)
I am reading a book about preparations for this trip and I'm a bit confused as to whether to take a tent with me or not...? I'll be traveling alone ( yikes ) and if anyone out there is traveling during these months, let me know! We can talk:))
Thanks for your time, attention and input!!

Tamar
Hi Tamar
I'll be there on end of June and july!

I'm told that if you walk backwards it takes twice as long because everyone coming towards you wants to talk! "How far is it to...." "What's x like?" "Wow, you are going the wrong way" and lots of curious pilgrims who just want to hear your experience.

If you live outside the EU, watch the 90 day limit.

I'm told that if you walk backwards it takes twice as long because everyone coming towards you wants to talk! "How far is it to...." "What's x like?" "Wow, you are going the wrong way" and lots of curious pilgrims who just want to hear your experience.

I walked from Santiago to Unquera on the Norte the "wrong" way in 2012 and this never happened to me. The most I got from other peregrinos was a pat on the back and a smile.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Interesting to read these replies..:) thank you all for that.

Stefano69, where do you start your walk? In France?
I heard that July is just so hot, and I don't mind that, I'm thinking about all the nights I might find myself sleeping ( alone?) outside due to zero occupancy...? What do you do when this happens ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Suggest you turn around and walk back to the Pyrenees and then walk along the length of them to the Mediterranean along one of two Grand Randome paths. Takes about 6 weeks but is a great stroll and has unique Fana and animals.

Suggest you turn around and walk back to the Pyrenees and then walk along the length of them to the Mediterranean along one of two Grand Randome paths. Takes about 6 weeks but is a great stroll and has unique Fana and animals.
Grande randonnée (GR) may be the words you're groping for here.

Thank you falcon and marylynn! Did you guys walk solo initially ?
I initially went with a friend to walk from Leon to Santiago in May 2011. We parted (in a friendly way) about four days into the walk because she wanted to go further and faster, and I continued walking to Santiago with an American couple we had met. When I had a week left over, I took a train from Santiago to Logrono by myself and walked to Burgos. In Oct2011 I went alone to walk from St.Palais, France to Logrono and then from Burgos to Astorga. In April2012 I started alone from St. Jean to Santiago.
On each of those 'alone' trips, I met someone the first day of walking that I connected with and continued with them. Sometimes we walked side-by-side and sometimes alone but within eyesight. And each one of those people became very special friends and we have kept in touch, and I have even had a 'reunion' with some of them. I am returning in mid-September alone, but expect to meet more special walking-mates--and if I don't, it will still be a special Camino in a different way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back