• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

suddenly scared

laelia2

Time of past OR future Camino
september 3 - october 7, 2014
i will be starting my camino from sjpdp on sept 3rd, alone. this hadn't been a concern at all, as i do lots of things by myself and have for a long time. but yesterday i separated from my husband, and out of the blue, the thought of not having him home to talk to while on the way made me feel afraid to go. no safety net, i guess...

i could use a good word or two.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am walking the Camino alone right now. I have felt completely secure so far. Other pilgrims you befriend along the way will look out for you too. I am blogging whenever I have wifi so my children can keep up. I understand your trepidation, but be brave - your Camino experience will give you strength.

i will be starting my camino from sjpdp on sept 3rd, alone. this hadn't been a concern at all, as i do lots of things by myself and have for a long time. but yesterday i separated from my husband, and out of the blue, the thought of not having him home to talk to while on the way made me feel afraid to go. no safety net, i guess...

So sorry about your personal situation. You can never be alone on the camino, even if you want to walk on your own. People are always there with open hearts if you need them. Many people with difficult situations walk and find something of a resolution. I hope you will too. Have a think about posting here on the forum while you walk. We are all here, rooting for you and knowing what you are going through in terms of the physical difficulties and the emotional struggles with mental endurance. You just can't be alone. Buen camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Don't worry. You will be surrounded by like minded - and some wildly unlike minded, which is also interesting - pilgrims you can share this experience with. You will be busy walking, talking, eating, laughing, bonding as much or as little as you want to. I used to call home every morning to say hi and tell him my plan for the day, and in the evening to say I was okay and where I was. Though it was nice to talk to him every day I didn't feel I needed to - I was happy to be in the moment, alone or with others. You are used to doing things on your own, and this is what you wanted to do, so you'll be fine. Maybe the fear is more about the distance, physical and mental, you are putting between you and him. Could it be you are more worried about what will happen when you come home, what you will come home to? Try not to let that become a problem. You still don't know who you will be when you go home, what you will want then. Top tip: If you feel like crying, the eucalyptus woods are just the place for it.

Buen Camino and a big hug,
Linda

One of the reasons I walked the camino was to come to terms with a difficult break-up. It worked wonders. Just take a deep breath and set off to enjoy yourself. There will be good company, good times, light and laughter coming. (I met someone on the camino and we now live together, it really worked for me).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I cannot word it better than nidarosa/Linda herein above; I walked this past September at exactly the same time as you will this fall and like many many other pilgrims, I had my own bundle to carry (I don't mean the backpack) Every day of walking, that bundle got lighter; it did not vanish but the perspective changed and now its just another scar, not more no less. This is what the camino will do for you, you'll feel good and proud of yourself.
As to the practical side of walking on your own: Everybody on this forum will tell you that you'll have exactly as much company as you want and when you want. There will be stretches when you want to be left with just yourself but when up to, you'll always find a good listener to talk about your problems, often get good advise and always sympathy within the pilgrims family. "What happens on the camino, stays on the camino" and costs less than a shrink. And there always will be a pilgrim with problems far worse than yours to reverse the comforting. Finally arriving in SdC, you'll be not necessarily a better-, but definitely a different, much stronger person, ready to open a new chapter in your life.
Buen Camino!

Of course you feel alone, you are suffering loss - how else could it be? But here is the thing ... do you not realise how courageous you are? You have openly posted on here a glimpse of your pain .. this suggests that you are honest, open, brave.
What you are going through, what you are so new to, is horrid, of course it is, but it is the initial part of a process .. it feels like this now, things happen, then it feels better later .. a process.

In September, when you stand at the foot of the Pyrenees, all nervous and loaded up and wondering what on earth happens next you will be ready. You will meet new people, and some may become life-long friends. If you have difficulties other pilgrims will help you - you will not be alone. Just remember to allow the transfer to be in both directions, be on the aware for pilgrims who may need your help, even if it is a gentle smile.

All is well, all is well.

Buen Camino!!!!

Hi Laelia,
You have nothing to fear. You seem to be an open , receptive person, so you will have help if you need it. As others have said if you want to be on you your own, then that isn't a problem, and when you want company you will have an abundance. You will make lifelong friends. You will become an inspiration to others. But ENJOY I know will and you will return home fulfilled.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi laelia2.

All of us will be with you while you prepare, walk, and return. When it comes to matters of the heart, the Camino can be the most wonderful therapy. Thank you for your honesty and sharing with us. There might be many others you will assist in the same situation and feeling a bit scared.

We all be cheering for you.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Was the Camino something you were both planning? If not, it sounds as though he may be the one who is running scared. You are doing something truly courageous (stepping out of your comfort zone).

As mentioned, you will meet many like-minded people (wanting to experience something outside the status quo). Get yourself a forum badge (I am), and you may run across some of the members you have been communicating with.

Kris

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Don't worry. You will be surrounded by like minded - and some wildly unlike minded, which is also interesting - pilgrims you can share this experience with. You will be busy walking, talking, eating, laughing, bonding as much or as little as you want to. I used to call home every morning to say hi and tell him my plan for the day, and in the evening to say I was okay and where I was. Though it was nice to talk to him every day I didn't feel I needed to - I was happy to be in the moment, alone or with others. You are used to doing things on your own, and this is what you wanted to do, so you'll be fine. Maybe the fear is more about the distance, physical and mental, you are putting between you and him. Could it be you are more worried about what will happen when you come home, what you will come home to? Try not to let that become a problem. You still don't know who you will be when you go home, what you will want then. Top tip: If you feel like crying, the eucalyptus woods are just the place for it.

Buen Camino and a big hug,
Linda

But if you feel like a damn good scream then the Meseta is just the place. First you need to lose yourself before you can find yourself. I just love a gentle smile now and again, it does an old man tremendous benefits.

HI,
I am planning on going in September and walking alone also .. my children have grown, I am 55 and love walking. I am single so I don't have any one to walk it with and I decided that I just have to do it . I have days when I think that I cant do it , and other days that I think of course I can. I am sure there is so many other ladies walking alone just like us.

You'll find all the others around you to be a far, far better safety net than a husband back home! It may end up being the best thing you can possibly do.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry to hear of your separation. Things have a way of sorting themselves (and you ) out. I wish I had walked the Camino at the time of my separation 8 years ago, but I had not heard of it then. It is an absolutely great way of coming to terms with yourself and life. You will find people who will listen and not judge and this will give you strength to face things.
Buen Camino

In everyday life separation frequently brings on the anxious feeling of having "walk alone." Once you start your Camino you will quickly find that "walking alone" brings with it a kind of freedom and expanded sense of relief. Your planning to walk may become a very timely and rewarding decision.

I am walking the Camino alone right now. I have felt completely secure so far. Other pilgrims you befriend along the way will look out for you too. I am blogging whenever I have wifi so my children can keep up. I understand your trepidation, but be brave - your Camino experience will give you strength.
so exciting.... I know right, even though you are away, wifi keeps you connected to everyone. That is so great. .. how many hours do you walk each day? at teh moment I am training and i walk 18 klm ... finding that fine even after I finish my day at work. I need to now work in a pair of walking boots . That is teh next on my list

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am walking about 6-7 hours daily. You must absolutely walk with the shoes you plan to use, whether boots or shoes. Also, be sure to train with your backpack as well. One thing I wish I had done was to train on inclines and descents. I live on the flat coast of Texas and all my training was on flatland. In hindsight, this was not a good thing. If you can, train on hills. Climb up and down as much as you can. At the very least, walk on a treadmill with an incline setting several times a week. This may have prevented my knee injury if I had thus prepared. Buen Camino.

This is for you, Denise:
On the camino, every pilgrim walks alone and for her/him self. When I started, i felt very lonely and I did not really believe that I belonged, not being religious at all...me, a pilgrim?:D But from day one, everybody let me feel to be part of it, better than family (which you can not choose). You know what, Denise? You can and will do it and you will have the best time of your life, promise!
And hey: Don't restrict yourself to «other ladies walking alone just like you», there will be a few guys interested to walk a few km along with you too. ;) Do it as soon as you can, you will be amazed!
Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola

In my experience many of the people that walk the caminos has been or are in a crisis of some kind.
Many others are lucky and does not have a specific issue that they carry along :)
To set out on a pilgrimage is historically connected to spirituality, prayer, atonement, adventurousness and much else.
Still, I meet several people, whom I connected strongly with, as we could share some essence of being human. And the burden it can be at times.
Other times it was a liberation to be completely anonymous, just another walker, and thereby forgetting the past and being able to truly enjoy the moment of now.
Regardless of whatever reason people start a camino, I believe that the experience of daily walking and the challenges it means, changes one as a person. Maybe not forever, but I am afraid it is like much is in life; something one cannot be told, but has to experience.
Without creating many plans and expectations, prepare yourself positively and you will be ready for your camino.
Some days will be hard others not so.
Take it one day at the time and you will be fine.
For now, just focus on getting yourself to your starting point.
The rest will unfold itself as it comes.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hi there .... like Dav

Hi there .... try not to be afraid. I'm going at the same time as you and also starting to get a bit jittery .... but gain strength from the support of these wonderful forum members. They know what they're talking about. I'm sure you will be just fine .... there are lots of us in the same boat and we can support each other. I'll be looking out for you. Trish xx

I'm a grumpy, out of shape, chain-smoking jerk who speaks no Spanish or any other languages besides English. And I made friends and had a great time. You'll be fine.
They must have copied you for the movie "The Way"!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Before your post, I just wish I had your strength to put it out there for all and sundry to see. At present I only have 3 reasons to live, my daughter, my mother (84) and my sister. My wedding anniversary present was to be told to leave the house, I have never questioned my wife's judgement, as I only had to see who she married, so that was that after 20 years.
Friends, I don't have. Friends are people who like you in spite of yourself. Acquaintances, I have many. None of which offer any support what so ever even to ask RUOK? They, quite understandably, have their own trials and tribulations to deal with, excess baggage is not required.
There is no extended family to call on for support. We migrated from England to Australia in 1957, so I have grown up relatively alone. (pun intended). I have been unemployed since February 2013 with a detached biceps tendon. Unable to do the work I had been doing and at almost 60 with no formal education qualifications, alternative employment is difficult to source. Age discrimination doesn't exist, apparently it's all in my head! Now my car valued at $3000 required maintenance to cost in excess of $5000.
On top of all this I have been diagnosed with severe clinical depression, and have been hospitalised 3 times in 6 months. BUT, I can still see the beauty of sun rise and set, appreciate the magnificence of a 20 mile surf beach with no buildings, the antiquity of old rainforest, the odours and textures of all that I have just mentioned.
Walking has always been a source of solace for me. So on my way home from hospital one morning I stopped at a travel agent to see about a walking holiday, 2 glossy brochures were obtained. The prices to me were exorbitant, but the Camino was mentioned. On television that night was a show "Bare Faced Cheek", the Camino was mentioned. The next night, without any mention of Camino to my landlady, she came home with 3 videos, "The Way" was one of them.

Ever since, other "signs" kept showing. Whilst out walking on the local hills one Saturday I bumped into an informal group of people. Not a club, so no money changes hands. They walk every Saturday, to keep fit and train for national & international events. Lo and behold, 3 of them have done different sections of the Camino.
Now not being religious, I began to reflect on the subtle as a sledgehammer signs that were bombarding me, who or what was / is behind all of this? So, I have booked tickets, renewed passports, bought a truckload of gear (which at least half will be left at home), also sold anything of value to fund my walk.
I leave in 14 days for Le Puy en Velay and have given myself 90 days to get to SdC via Finnestaire and Muxia. So, here I go, a weak arm, dodgy knees and hips, no French or Spanish skills, just a 1974 Berlitz European phrase book and a very limited budget.
I am (in the words of the old song) leaving my happy (?) home to go on the road to find out. The future can take care of its self, as it has done since time began.
So, Laelia2, you go girl, go and do it, enjoy it, no one else can do it for you. At the end of the day, we are all only here for a short time, so, it may as well be a good time. Buen Camino, Richard

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have booked tickets, renewed passports, bought a truckload of gear (which at least half will be left at home), also sold anything of value to fund my walk. I leave in 14 days for Le Puy en Velay and have given myself 90 days to get to SdC via Finnestaire and Muxia. So, here I go, a weak arm, dodgy knees and hips, no French or Spanish skills, just a 1974 Berlitz European phrase book and a very limited budget. I am (in the words of the old song) leaving my happy (?) home to go on the road to find out. The future can take care of its self, as it has done since time began. So, Laelia2, you go girl, go and do it, enjoy it, no one else can do it for you. At the end of the day, we are all only here for a short time, so, it may as well be a good time. Buen Camino, Richard
You hace guts and you will make it. Buen Camino and stay tough!

€46,-
Of course you feel alone, you are suffering loss - how else could it be? But here is the thing ... do you not realise how courageous you are? You have openly posted on here a glimpse of your pain .. this suggests that you are honest, open, brave.
What you are going through, what you are so new to, is horrid, of course it is, but it is the initial part of a process .. it feels like this now, things happen, then it feels better later .. a process.

In September, when you stand at the foot of the Pyrenees, all nervous and loaded up and wondering what on earth happens next you will be ready. You will meet new people, and some may become life-long friends. If you have difficulties other pilgrims will help you - you will not be alone. Just remember to allow the transfer to be in both directions, be on the aware for pilgrims who may need your help, even if it is a gentle smile.

All is well, all is well.

Buen Camino!!!!
Such a special response David.....Your words definitely 'speak to me also'.....smiles.

Hi Laelia, it is time and your own will that make things whole again. Don't expect to do it all now, its too soon. Take opportunities when you can, welcome friends even though sometimes you will be let down. By the time September comes you will be stronger and the Camino will help to focus your life. I'll be thinking of you.
John

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This has become one of those marvellous threads - openness, showing personal pain, truly kind support .. many forum members are quite wonderful, a virtual image of the Camino itself. But here is a thing - please do remember that pain and tears are not a fault in humans, they are an intrinsic part of being human. Don't hold them in thinking that you are being strong, it will only make you ill. Tears are a good thing, they have nothing to do with weakness, they are to do with an opening heart, of being human. Tears are cleansing, healing.
I have seen many pilgrims spontaneously burst into tears .. some from pain or exhaustion but others from just seeing a parent reaching down to their child, or a bird singing on a refugio fence ... it is a good thing .. it opens one .. so don't be afraid of your pain, or your tears, it is part of the opening of the person to living a deeper, kinder, life. If you have the time or inclination please read the first two pages of my do no harm website - http://www.donoharm.co.uk/

We are called to Camino. There is a specific time, moment, in our lives. You all know how it is or you wouldn't be in this forum.. you 'accidentally' hear about the pilgrimage, then you 'accidentally' hear about it again, and again. It nags at you inside ... religious people, non-religious people, those who are anti-religion, those who think there is no God, many who have never walked more than a couple of miles before, the unfit, unhealthy, all ages .. it just won't let you go, until, well, until you go. Explain it how you will, for me it is God calling.

The crisis, the pain, the loneliness (or aloneness), however it may manifest itself, is part and parcel of a deeper process in your life. It tells you that your old life is over, broken; that it is time to open and live a new life in a different way .. so follow that call - fears and all!, go on Camino, open your heart, let out the tears, learn to laugh again - All is Well.

I have posted this video before but am posting it again here to all those going on Camino because of a crisis of pain in their lives - sound up really loud now!!

Last edited:
Thank you for the above David.....and, in particular, thanks for the reminder of the Enya song....I really watched and listened to those words....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am in the same boat. A dear friend was supposed to go with me (we've been planning for 2 years and been friends for many many years), but now she's not going. She got into a terrible car accident and is in a coma. So alone I will be going. It seems strange and scary, but I know that The Lord has a plan for me when I go. Remembering this helps keep me excited about going.

Walk, slowly, light, simple, alone, walk a long time, walk mindfull and gratefull, keep on walking and walk with God. The 10 commandments for pilgrims.

(In german: die zehn gebote)

€83,-
Before your post, I just wish I had your strength to put it out there for all and sundry to see. At present I only have 3 reasons to live, my daughter, my mother (84) and my sister. My wedding anniversary present was to be told to leave the house, I have never questioned my wife's judgement, as I only had to see who she married, so that was that after 20 years. Friends, I don't have. Friends are people who like you in spite of yourself. Acquaintances, I have many. None of which offer any support what so ever even to ask RUOK? They, quite understandably, have their own trials and tribulations to deal with, excess baggage is not required. There is no extended family to call on for support. We migrated from England to Australia in 1957, so I have grown up relatively alone. (pun intended). I have been unemployed since February 2013 with a detached biceps tendon. Unable to do the work I had been doing and at almost 60 with no formal education qualifications, alternative employment is difficult to source. Age discrimination doesn't exist, apparently it's all in my head! Now my car valued at $3000 required maintenance to cost in excess of $5000. On top of all this I have been diagnosed with severe clinical depression, and have been hospitalised 3 times in 6 months. BUT, I can still see the beauty of sun rise and set, appreciate the magnificence of a 20 mile surf beach with no buildings, the antiquity of old rainforest, the odours and textures of all that I have just mentioned. Walking has always been a source of solace for me. So on my way home from hospital one morning I stopped at a travel agent to see about a walking holiday, 2 glossy brochures were obtained. The prices to me were exorbitant, but the Camino was mentioned. On television that night was a show "Bare Faced Cheek", the Camino was mentioned. The next night, without any mention of Camino to my landlady, she came home with 3 videos, "The Way" was one of them. Ever since, other "signs" kept showing. Whilst out walking on the local hills one Saturday I bumped into an informal group of people. Not a club, so no money changes hands. They walk every Saturday, to keep fit and train for national & international events. Lo and behold, 3 of them have done different sections of the Camino. Now not being religious, I began to reflect on the subtle as a sledgehammer signs that were bombarding me, who or what was / is behind all of this? So, I have booked tickets, renewed passports, bought a truckload of gear (which at least half will be left at home), also sold anything of value to fund my walk. I leave in 14 days for Le Puy en Velay and have given myself 90 days to get to SdC via Finnestaire and Muxia. So, here I go, a weak arm, dodgy knees and hips, no French or Spanish skills, just a 1974 Berlitz European phrase book and a very limited budget. I am (in the words of the old song) leaving my happy (?) home to go on the road to find out. The future can take care of its self, as it has done since time began. So, Laelia2, you go girl, go and do it, enjoy it, no one else can do it for you. At the end of the day, we are all only here for a short time, so, it may as well be a good time. Buen Camino, Richard

A very powerful, honest and courageous posting; I admire your frankness and the wisdom to take up the challenge of the Camino. I do believe you will find comfort and happiness in the experience. Many times when one contemplates the greatness of nature one realizes that we are really insignificant and our problems, though they seem big to us, are really not very great in the over-all scheme of history. This perspective makes life and its trials easier to endure and give us a path to happiness and peace.

€46,-
Whatever is in your soul that has compelled you to complete your camino is fuelling the rest of us. You will be so refreshed in the company you meet along the way that the only sadness you will feel will be that which you associate with leaving Spain. This experience will be positive for you

thank you, everyone, for your kind responses. what compelled you all to respond so kindly to a small request from a stranger? wonderful people walk the camino, obviously. thank you again.

Laelia2 .. Check out this thread for September 2014 Pilgrims ... believe me , you are not alone , go and enjoy lady , I hear that when your world tilts the Camino tends to straighten it back out .
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/september-2014-peregrinos.24717/#post-202883

If you have been drawn to the Camino, go! and you are destined to have a journey like no other. Enjoy the community of walkers, some of whom will become your 'family.' You will give to others as much as they will give to you. Appreciate the helpful locals and hospitaleros. Breathe deep, enjoy the amazing vistas, be open to the wonder of walking on a thousands-of-years-old path. Have fun. All will be well.

€46,-
thank you, everyone, for your kind responses. what compelled you all to respond so kindly to a small request from a stranger? wonderful people walk the camino, obviously. thank you again.

ahh. what you have found here Laelia, is a cross section of the type of good people you will meet on your Camino - encouraging isn't it ;)

So, I have booked tickets, renewed passports, bought a truckload of gear (which at least half will be left at home), also sold anything of value to fund my walk. I leave in 14 days for Le Puy en Velay and have given myself 90 days to get to SdC via Finnestaire and Muxia. So, here I go, a weak arm, dodgy knees and hips, no French or Spanish skills, just a 1974 Berlitz European phrase book and a very limited budget. I am (in the words of the old song) leaving my happy (?) home to go on the road to find out. Richard

Dear Richard,

A very moving and sensitive post. Go well. I hope the Camino gives to you in abundance. I wish you were in Sydney 'cause I'd sure like to be your friend!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dear Richard,

A very moving and sensitive post. Go well. I hope the Camino gives to you in abundance. I wish you were in Sydney 'cause I'd sure like to be your friend!
Many thanks to all for the kind words. My intention though, was to give Laelia2 support, (after all it was her post, not mine) it's just that the words just kept on coming. Kanga, I would love to catch up, maybe when I return to Oz. Mey the moose (mouse) ne're lea' yer girnal (grainstore) wi the tear drap in its eye.

Many thanks to all for the kind words. My intention though, was to give Laelia2 support, (after all it was her post, not mine) it's just that the words just kept on coming. Kanga, I would love to catch up, maybe when I return to Oz. Mey the moose (mouse) ne're lea' yer girnal (grainstore) wi the tear drap in its eye.
Love your quote at the end of this post Richard.

Have done many a long distance walk by myself. I have never been in any danger and am always amazed at the goodness of ordinary people who despite the language and cultural differences always go out of their way to help you.
Fellow travelers are always friendly and helpful...

I walked my first Camino alone, but in reality you're never alone. They are so many wonderful people that you will meet on the way, and I'd imagine it will be some good therapy for you. All the best, buen Camino!

Hi Laelia,

Like others have said, I think in september you will be feeling stronger about the separation and it looks like all beginners like us have in this forum some nice people ready to help. I will arrive in Madrid on september 3rd and will start my camino on 5th from sjpdp, also alone. May be we meet at some point.

Buen camino for us.

Ricardo
Sorry about my english, my native language is portuguese.

I believe there is a reason for all that happens to us and the Camino will provide for you, you will have a fabulous time. I leave from SJPDP on the 6th September so we may bump into each other. Buen Camino.

Don't worry, you will have lots of nice friendly people keeping you company on your way. Everybody will support you and i garanty you, you will have the time of your live, Just trust the camino and have faith in yourself. BUEN CAMINO!!!

Hi Laelia
I am 'doing' the Camino on my own in September and look forward to seeing you. There are moments when I wonder why and look for reasons not to out of fear, but when I read of others journey I know I must. Its a feeling from the heart and not the head. I'm learning to go with those feelings rather than the head ones. Its new and sometimes full of doubt, but the end result is always a feeling of emotional peace. So thank you for reminding me its OK to be afraid but we are not alone. It spurs me on and makes me excited about the Camino all over again. I have been planning this in my head for about 5 years . Its about time I went with my heart and my feet. Lets do it! I so hope to meet you on the way.
Angela

Laelia2, I am sorry for your current situation. I hope you find some comfort and peace. You and I will be traveling at the same time. I hope to meet you on the Way. We can encourage one another. Aren't the people on this forum amazing? What compelled them? I imagine goodness, kindness, and huge, open, compassionate hearts. Won't we be fortunate to encounter the same on our journeys? I am truly humbled.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Like many here, my thoughts are with Laelia2 and Bonners.
And I believe that what this thread demonstrates is true community. Which looks to me like "comm-unity" or unity around a common purpose.
Through the Camino, I believe one achieves a state of grace, even if that was not the original goal.
I have never been happier in my soul until I walked the Camino. I'm sure laelia2 and Bonners - and everyone else undertaking the Camino - will find the inner strength and peace to handle life's challenges. The pain doesn't go away, but another dimension opens up.
While much of our world evidences a mentality of "lack", I believe a more natural state is a mentality of abundance. What we see in this thread, this forum and in the Camino generally (including all the supporting volunteers in albergues and the owners of casa rural ) is the mentality of abundance being applied.
Wishing you both great peace as you confront the inevitable challenges before and during your Camino, and great joy as you discover whatever is your own state of grace, through which you will undoubtedly triumph over life's smelly episodes.

Hi Ronnie
I'm leaving for Roncesvalles on April 30th....as a solo walker. How are you making out? What's the weather like? Can I get by with shorts in the evening or something warmer? I'm always cold at night hence the questions. Hope you're having an amazing time.

Hello, I have been feeling a little the same since making the decision to go. I am alone as well with no one at home to talk to.
I am arriving in St Jean around the same time as you perhaps we could start off together until we get our "pilgrim" legs, LOL.
That said I know we will be okay. At a recent Canadian Pilgrim's meeting a comment was said, don't worry, the El Camino will provide.
And I believe that to be true.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hallo everyone! I don't know how this blog works.i am from Greece and after hearing stories from a friend that has done the camino i felt that this is something that i want, i need to do for me.
I am planning on doing it in the end of July since i am a teacher and i have vacations at that period.
I am also i bit of scared not for being alone but i have to find out all the details before i start.
I could use some advise from those that have done it on how to plan my camino!

You won't be alone in July unless you want to be! There will be hundreds of other pilgrims walking at the same time. If you are worried about being self-reliant, you will find lots of friendly help from fellow pilgrims and the Spanish. Planning will give you confidence, so read information in this Forum and build your self-confidence.

Buen camino!

hello falcon - sorry to read about the news of your separation from your husband - I walked the southern camino last June from Malaga alone - It is a special feeling when you do this alone - be brave - you will be the stronger!!! Jim

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Trust me there are many many people walking the Camino solo. Some hook up in 2 's and 3's-some hook up in the alberques. You are never alone and everyone says Buen Camino en route-so see it as a great opportunity!!!Folk regularly Skype home and share their tales over dinner/coffee. You will be fine!!!Cecilia x

I will also be walking the Camino alone this September and October. My friends have been very supportive, but quite a few of them presumed that I would be doing it with a group of people, and they seemed surprised when it was made clear to them that I would be doing it alone. I can understand their surprise, as I know that I have always been the sort of person who has allowed fear to rule my decisions and actions in life. There is no real reason I can pinpoint for why I am like this, but what I do know is that I do not want to be scared anymore. It is for this reason that I want to do the Camino alone; I think it will be good for me to do it alone.

I expect when I get to St Jean Pied de Port that I will be very excited, but I also know that I will be very nervous. I know in my bones, however, that I can do this, and it's a rare thing for me to have that sort of confidence. I have absolutely no doubt that you can do it too. You are stronger than you know.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will also be walking the Camino alone this September and October. My friends have been very supportive, but quite a few of them presumed that I would be doing it with a group of people, and they seemed surprised when it was made clear to them that I would be doing it alone. I can understand their surprise, as I know that I have always been the sort of person who has allowed fear to rule my decisions and actions in life. There is no real reason I can pinpoint for why I am like this, but what I do know is that I do not want to be scared anymore. It is for this reason that I want to do the Camino alone; I think it will be good for me to do it alone.

I expect when I get to St Jean Pied de Port that I will be very excited, but I also know that I will be very nervous. I know in my bones, however, that I can do this, and it's a rare thing for me to have that sort of confidence. I have absolutely no doubt that you can do it too. You are stronger than you know.
Adhemar78,

If I didn't know better, I would have thought I had written your post. ;) Most people I meet also assume that when I say I am going alone what I really mean is going with a group. But then, they don't know the nature of the Camino. I wonder if you and I will cross paths. I arrive at SJPP on the evening of the 11th of September. I am taking a rest day and will leave for Orisson on the 13th. How about you?

Buen Camino!
Mary

Walking the Camino will quickly help put things in perspective. I don't think we walk the Camino to feel safe, though it is. Whether we look for it or not, it just seems to give us answers and revelations whether we welcome them or not.

Laelia - a break-up of a marriage/relationship is a painful event. As you have seen (from above) that the Camino will, in part, envelop you with "love". I do not know where you live, but maybe there is a Camino group in your area and maybe you will find someone locally who is walking around the same time. Even if you are not walking in parallel it might be good to have some one you know nearby. Again as others have said - in today's communication age with wifi you will be able to keep in contact with family and friends most days (if you wish). Buen Camino (and a big hug).

Adhemar78,

If I didn't know better, I would have thought I had written your post. ;) Most people I meet also assume that when I say I am going alone what I really mean is going with a group. But then, they don't know the nature of the Camino. I wonder if you and I will cross paths. I arrive at SJPP on the evening of the 11th of September. I am taking a rest day and will leave for Orisson on the 13th. How about you?

Buen Camino!
Mary

Mary,

I will be about a week behind you. I am arriving in SJPP on 19 September and, like you, I am spending a full day there before I start walking on 21 September. I am also going to spend the first night at Orisson. It's a shame - it would have been nice to have met you. :)

Buen Camino!
Matthew

Your post and the reactions of fellow pilgrims move me to tears. I will be walking my first Camino alone as well, starting in mid September. I will spend a full day in SJPP before starting walking, probably to get over jet lag. My walk is partially to find myself, and to re-connect with God, after the death of my son. Maybe I will encounter you. Buen camino.

OP April 2014, so has she come back to respond to her experience about her initial fears?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Your post and the reactions of fellow pilgrims move me to tears. I will be walking my first Camino alone as well, starting in mid September. I will spend a full day in SJPP before starting walking, probably to get over jet lag. My walk is partially to find myself, and to re-connect with God, after the death of my son.
Godspeed, @truthseeker - may you walk in peace. Please know you are not alone along the way: many others on the Camino carry the heavy burdens of loss. Ultreia and buen camino!

Your post and the reactions of fellow pilgrims move me to tears. I will be walking my first Camino alone as well, starting in mid September. I will spend a full day in SJPP before starting walking, probably to get over jet lag. My walk is partially to find myself, and to re-connect with God, after the death of my son. Maybe I will encounter you. Buen camino.
She started walking it in September 2014...hope she's finished by now. lol
;)

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back