• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Philadelphia PA, Any Newbie Pilgrims?

Phillypilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
C F Sept.(2013) Camino de Madrid & Finisterre/Muxia Sept. (2014)
Finisterre/Muia June (2017).
Hi
I know there is a Mid Atlantic Group and a New York City Group. Wondering if anyone is in Philadelphia and about to start a Pilgrimage? Thanks, Pam

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just finished my first Camino but it's nice to see a fellow Philadelphian on the forum! If you need any tips let me know!

Buen Camino,

Zac

Hi Pam,

I just moved to a small town between Harrisburg and York a couple weeks ago (I moved out here from Colorado). It's nice to see other PA folks doing the camino! I plan to start in SJPDP on Sept. 4th.

Robin

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Robin and Zac.
Zac, not to worry, I don't feel ignored!
Robin, I too start out on 4th of September, but from Roncesvalles. Will be moving slow to start, so we will most probably meet up.
Pam

Hi There,

I am a transplanted Philadelphian(currently live in Toronto) beginning the Camino from SJPP on Sept 4 as well.Staying at Auberge du pelerin...will keep an eye out for you all!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Robin,

I am starting on Sept 4 from SJPP as well..will keep an eye out for you!

I live out in Chester County/West Chester area and next month (9/16) start a work dictated length of pilgrimage from Astorga to Santiago. Will be traveling with my college room-mates from Loyola University in LA. 59 going on 60 so will probably be traveling in the slow lane. Love to be part of a Philly chapter if we could get something going. Look forward to running into any of the Philly folks along the way. One things for sure... wont be burning any energy worrying whether the Phillies get into the world series :) Buen Camino to all

WOW, I have not checked this thread in awhile. Steph13 & cableseller, Greetings! We are all getting closer to lift off. Although I leave from Roncesvalles on 4th Sept. I will be moving slowly at first, so I plan on crossing paths with at least Robin and Steph13! Will be looking out for PeeWee Herman (cableseller). I love your Avatar, I keep saying I am going on "PeeWee's Big Adventure"!!
Fondly, Pam in Philly

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm flying Philly to Madrid, overnighting in Madrid, train to Pamplona, bus to Roncesvalles!

leaving Aug. 29-30. Still trying to decide whether to fly into Paris or Pamplona.
You are right down to the wire on getting a flight!

Buen camino from just south of Baltimore.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know there is a NYC chapter but a philadelphia chapter sounds like a great idea!

Good luck to everyone leaving in a few days! Know you all will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Buen camino!
Zac

Zac, good idea! I'll join upon my return.
Pam

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wanted to revive this thread.
On the APOC (American Pilgrims on the Camino) Facebook page there is some discussion of Philadelphia area Pilgrims getting together on Saturday April 26th. I will let you know if this is really going to happen, when and where. So, SAVE THE DATE, and PM me if you are interested. Thanks, Pam

Last edited:
Travellover... be sure to stop in at Meson de Pulpo...they have a facebook page...Noella is delightful! Bim caminho

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Meson de Pulpo?? WHERE!! I know Amada on Chestnut St. has Pulpo (very good!) but wasn't aware of too many other places that have it on their menu!! Love the stuff!! And....to any reading this please feel free to join us On the 26th of April! We've got a reservation for 6pm at Smokin Betty's in Center City. You can check out their web page to see their menu and get a map and directions!! Looking forward to seeing you all there! Please msg if your thinking of coming...we have a reservation for 10 currently, but want to be respectful of the restaurant and give them as close a number as possible!

Hi ksam!
I'll let you take over from here! I will be there on the 26th, thanks so much for organizing. Pam

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Add one more ksam, Marcy, from the forum too!

Meson de Pulpo?? WHERE!! I know Amada on Chestnut St. has Pulpo (very good!) but wasn't aware of too many other places that have it on their menu!! Love the stuff!! And....to any reading this please feel free to join us On the 26th of April! We've got a reservation for 6pm at Smokin Betty's in Center City. You can check out their web page to see their menu and get a map and directions!! Looking forward to seeing you all there! Please msg if your thinking of coming...we have a reservation for 10 currently, but want to be respectful of the restaurant and give them as close a number as possible!

hi! I'm from Boyertown and making my first camino in may...this sounds awesome! can I come?

hi! I'm from Boyertown and making my first camino in may...this sounds awesome! can I come?
Absolutely!! The more the merrier!! and the more brains to pick and tidbits to share!! I'll add you to the list! :)

And May...is a LOVELy time to walk the Camino..the roses and flowers and for me the single biggest hoot was hearing an honest to goodness Cuckoo bird!! They actually sound like the darn clocks!! :) or wait is that the clocks sound like the birds!! Anyway...it's a wonderful time to walk. Green fields that roll on forever and look like you've walked into the old Microsoft home page!! Ahhh can't wait to go back and see what fall looks like now!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ksam...not a city girl...is there parking in the area? There will be two of us! Ty so much for pulling this off!

I know there is parking a few blocks away. We used it last night at the theater!! Where are you coming from?? Perhaps public transport? I will look for actual parking lots in the area!! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Starting the Camino in SJ on May 14th. Live in Williamsport, Pa., and got a deal on AA --$517 RT to Madrid and back out of local airport. WMPT to Philly to Madrid. Wanted to go last fall but flights were too expensive.

$517 RT? Wow!! What a great deal Xin. Just down the road from you in Selinsgrove. Have a great Camino!! We went last year and had a blast!!

Jim

Yes, congrats on the great rate! We have a daughter and have to stick to the school schedule, and when school is out all rates are double! We were happy to get Philadelphia to Porto for $1000... Oh, well... At least we are going! Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ty so much ksam! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hi ksam,
Can we squeeze one more in for April 26th? My friend Ennes will be walking the CdM with me in the fall! Thanks, Pam

Heck yeah!! As long as we can give em firm numbers by say Tuesday/Wednesday of next week I think we should be good!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Want to confirm 2 for me. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Heads up Philly/NewJersey/Delaware Pilgrims!! Our meet up dinner is this week at Smokin Bettys in Center City. I'll be contact each of you to confirm our numbers! Really looking forward to seeing you all there!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Register your Camino start in the CAMINO CALENDAR!! http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/events/monthly
I'll register our Camino itself as soon as we nail down the exact route!! In the meanwhile, we've got a posting for a hike on the Events Calendar!! Tri-State Perigrinos will be trying to meet up for a hike on May 31st at Valley Forge National Park. Ample parking and fairly centrally located I think?! You can go to Events and then the calendar and let me know if your coming. If your training...don't forget a backpack with weight! And water...we can meet and picnic afterwards or at a watering hole!! :) Hope to see more of you there!

Have a wonderful time! Wish I could be there! ibuen camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Lol! But I will miss the company!

We'll be with in our hearts! How many more days?

€149,-
11 days. 12 hrs 41 min... But who's counting?! Lol!

Buen Camino Joann and Vickie!!!!
I will try to make the Valley Forge walk. Pam

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Awesome Pam. If you want to "check off" on the events page it may help with the head counting!! I'll pm you my phone # for emergency texting or what ever!

The Camino documentary "Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago" is coming to Philadelphia. The screening will be at The Roxy theater May 29th, (and I believe there will be more shows as well). On May 29th Lydia Smith the director will do a Q & A. Don't know time or ticket info. yet. Keep and eye on the movies's website or call the Roxy, 267-639-9508 at 2023 Sansom Street Philadelphia.

I'm from WilliamsportPA and would love to know of others locally interested in the Camino. I walked Pomplona to Burgos in May 2012 and enjoyed the roses and the wheat fields coming into head. I walked the same route in October 2013 , this time with a friend, and enjoyed the grape harvest. I'm going to hike the Primitivo this June with several other friends. Anyone else leaving Oviedo about 6/16?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino!
Also check out the Facebook page, Tri-State Perigrinos, for activities in the Philadelphia area.

Kenneth, some of our small group are going to get together for a walk from Conshehockin to Philly this coming weekend if your interested. Also a group walk/hike in Valley Forge on May 31st. Def check the Events tab here and Tri-State Perigrinos!!

Hope we get to meet you soon. Some of your group are off on their Camino as of yesterday!! Some of us have a few months to go! Should make for an interesting exchange of information all around.

Karin

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, fellow Philly-area pilgrims! I'm so glad to find this thread. My husband and I are in Chadds Ford and plan to start our first camino next year, in early October. We'd love to connect with other pilgrims -- past, future, and current -- and hope we can make some of the monthly meetings. Also, for anyone in striking distance of Delaware City, DE., the Wilmington Trail Club is hosting its annual Walk Across Delaware, 14 miles from one side of the state to the other. We're planning to be there. Here's the link for anyone interested: http://www.wilmingtontrailclub.org/Hiking/HikeAcrossDelaware/tabid/96/Default.aspx

Hi, fellow Philly-area pilgrims! I'm so glad to find this thread. My husband and I are in Chadds Ford and plan to start our first camino next year, in early October. We'd love to connect with other pilgrims -- past, future, and current -- and hope we can make some of the monthly meetings. Also, for anyone in striking distance of Delaware City, DE., the Wilmington Trail Club is hosting its annual Walk Across Delaware, 14 miles from one side of the state to the other. We're planning to be there. Here's the link for anyone interested: http://www.wilmingtontrailclub.org/Hiking/HikeAcrossDelaware/tabid/96/Default.aspx
hi fellow pilgrims from chadds ford! welcome! great to hear from you. we have a facebook page tristate peregrinos...I hope that's the right name! if not I will repost for you! look us up!
joann

Thanks! I found the Facebook page and posted on it yesterday. Great resource. Sorry I can't make the walk next Saturday, but hope to get to future ones. Looking forward to meeting other pilgrims and hearing about everyone's experiences or plans or both. Jean

€149,-
Thanks! I found the Facebook page and posted on it yesterday. Great resource. Sorry I can't make the walk next Saturday, but hope to get to future ones. Looking forward to meeting other pilgrims and hearing about everyone's experiences or plans or both. Jean
Can't wait to meet you!! Wish it could be on Saturday, but that's why I think the fairly regular schedule will help folks plan ahead!! See you soon, Karin

I'm also from Williamsport. walked from SJPDP to Santiago May & June of 2014. Friends are planning to walk the Lisbon to Santiago rt in june 2015 and I might go with them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is now a brand spanking new Philadelphia area chapter of APOC, American Pilgrims on the Camino. Go to the website for updates on meetings, events etc.
www.americanpilgrims.com

Starting the Camino in SJ on May 14th. Live in Williamsport, Pa., and got a deal on AA --$517 RT to Madrid and back out of local airport. WMPT to Philly to Madrid. Wanted to go last fall but flights were too expensive.
Xin - Is that RT from USA to Spain to USA? What airport did you fly into? Thanks, Pam

Pscarmen--Yes that was RT Wmpt to Philly to Madrid and return for total of $517. In Philly we got on a plane coming from Phoenix, AZ with a few pilgrims on it. I watch for deals--just went RT to Cusco , Peru for $370. Have gone to Argentina for $340 RT. There was just a deal to fly to Chile for $340 RT but I already have tickets for Mexico at the time of the deal.

Flight to Madrid came up on an email, alert from CheapOair. Jumped on the deal and the very next day another deal came up to fly RT to Milan, Italy for $202! You can sign up for alerts on several sites---CheapOair, Kayak, etc.

Still looking for a deal to fly to Lisbon to walk the Camino Portuguese in June 2015, but flights are cheaper to fly to Bali than Lisbon!

Assume you are going to fly out of Boston--if so check WOW Air--People tell me that it is cheap to fly to Iceland using WOW then transfer to a Ryan Air flight into Spain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pscarmen--Yes that was RT Wmpt to Philly to Madrid and return for total of $517. In Philly we got on a plane coming from Phoenix, AZ with a few pilgrims on it. I watch for deals--just went RT to Cusco , Peru for $370. Have gone to Argentina for $340 RT. There was just a deal to fly to Chile for $340 RT but I already have tickets for Mexico at the time of the deal....
Xin - WOW is Right! Thank you so much. I am planning on going in 2019. So, it's a ways away. However, a deal like that may lend itself to other quick trips to other places! Thanks again. I am really enjoying this site & all I am learning. Love your posts.

There is a Philadelphia chapter APOC (American Pilgrims on the Camino) meeting this Sunday January 25th. The details are now posted on the APOC website at www.americanpilgrims.com
Buen Camino!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.