• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When a total stranger makes your camino special

Agnogel

A very great full pilgrim
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/this-camino-thing-is-infectious.24591/
On the link is a tread i posted last month about my neice and her friend walking fron Sarria, My neice just wanted to getaway for a while after she split with her long term boyfriend and her friend wanted something different, As posted i got my neice a pilgrims passport at an open day in Dublin, Her friend refused the offer as her camino was not for spiritual or religious reasons just a different holiday. They arrived in Santiagio last thursday and my neice collected her compastella her friend was sorry after she did not get one, A couple of older Irish men they met on the journey were outside the pilgrims office taking photos of them selves with there compastellas when one mentioned to the girls that he would take there photo also for them, My neice explaned that her friend had not got a pilgrims passport so no compastella, no problem says he i have a spare one in my bag that i got stamped along the way from Sarria just incase i needed it, he had left it blank so she filled out her name and she collected her compastella and the photo was taken for all to see.
jen.jpg
My neice is on the right and of course her chuffed friend on the left. They had such a ball that there going back in September to walk from Santiagio to Finnastaire and are talking about next year also,
And a special thanks to the two gentelmen in the photo also
The road to Santiagio is by no means a lonely one
I have to ask the question what made your camino so special.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I think what made my camino special was that it had taken over 20 years to be able - physically, to do it. And that my husband - who was really not bothered about it - became a committed pilgrim! So we hope to organise our lives so that we can go a'pilgrimage again...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That was an innovative Irish solution to an Irish problem, and I'm delighted the girls were happy. But it raises a little question with me: why is the compostela so important to people who have walked the Camino(s)? I have been very glad to hear about the new certificate available to people who have not walked for spiritual reasons--would that not have satisfied your niece's friend? (and, excuse me, perhaps more honest for her and for the donor of his duplicate (why??) credencial).
Both documents acknowledge one's camino-experience, and few of us really expect our compostela to be a bargaining chip when we knock on the door of heaven--do we??? (Hmm, I added my fourth one (from Tui) the day before the girls completed their camino.)
I just wonder--how highly do we value the compostela certificate, compared to our memories of the daily walk, the people we met and the journal we kept of our experiences? Opinions please?

Don't you need a stamped credential for any of the documents signifying completion of the pilgrimage, including the new distance certificate? I think the Compostella is symbolic of the pilgrimage, not more important but an official recognition. What a lovely keepsake. I think the young woman walked the Camino, but recognized that she had made a mistake not carrying a credential and then regretted that decision. How lucky for her that someone was compassionate and understood her situation.

Apologies, I didn't read properly at all, not realising the girl hadn't got a pilgrim passport to show at the Oficina--I thought it was about her rationale for walking. And they didn't stay in albergues, so. Sorry for putting my big boots in wrongly!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think having the certificate is just a physical reminder of the experience. I was so pleased to get mine after waiting so many years to be able to do the pilgrimage, when it was stolen on the way back I was gutted. But I thought ' oh well, it's only a bit of paper' and tried to forget about it. But when someone said I could get it re-issued by the Pilgrim's Office - I was delighted! They (my husband's and I's) hang in our hallway and many times a week I stop briefly to gaze at them and remember the journey, the people, the whole experience. They are not 'necessary' but they make me smile every time!

Apologies, I didn't read properly at all, not realising the girl hadn't got a pilgrim passport to show at the Oficina--I thought it was about her rationale for walking. And they didn't stay in albergues, so. Sorry for putting my big boots in wrongly!
No problem as i said the girls were just taking a different holiday but as the camino often does it turned into something different they got caught up with the motion of it all it swept them off there feet so to speak, And while it started out as just a walk it ended up spiritutal in a small way for them.
Buen Camino

The wanting a Compostela thing is simple, surely. The child learns to swim, does a length and receives their 25 metre certificate and are so proud. Later they learn to cycle safely and take the test and receive their cycling proficiency certificate. Scouts get their badges and display them proudly. University graduates receive their certificates and throw their mortar boards into the air in joy, we honour the brave with medals and citations.
Our lives are filled with gold stars and badges and certificates - it is how we are - we love the symbolic, we love rites and rituals and records of achievement - it is part of who and what we are. I like that aspect of us.
Don't you?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.