• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A night in Cáparra

Heikki

Time of past OR future Camino
Burgos to Santiago 2008, Madrid to Sáhagun 2012, Primitivo 2012, VdlP 2014, Camino del Norte 2020
Hi!
We are now in Galisteo, and it seems that it's hard to find a place to sleep on a resonable distance from here without taking a taxi or doing some other some unusual pilgrim thing to do (we want to do our camino without modern vehicles)? The question is: Is it possible to sleep on Cáparra under the arc or some other place. Weather is quite warm and we can buy and carry our supplies from Carcoboso to Cáparra.
Quick response appreciated.
Heikki

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My advice would be to stay the night in Carcaboso and then do the 40km stage to Aldeanueva del Camino where there is a nice albergue and some decent bars, restaurants and so on. I expect the arco would be a lovely place to camp if the weather was right, but it is a long way from anywhere. You wouldn't be able to pitch a tent immediately by the arch, but there are turf patches within a couple of 100 yards of the excavations that would be fine.

I hope you enjoyed Galisteo - I think those ramparts are amazing, and the minaret/steeple.

One year I plan to try to go off the camino and stay a night in Plasencia, which sounds a beautiful place, and then return to the arch, which might split the long sections effectively. I also want to visit Hervás, just after Aldeanueva, which apparently has a fantastic juderia, and some excellent restaurants.

And while on the subject, I can recommend doing the circuito romano at the balneario at Baños de Montemayor, which you will hit in a couple of days. Show your credencial and you get quite a big discount. It takes a couple of hours but is really worth it - I have seldom felt so clean and relaxed.

Sorry I am too late for main reply, but in relation to comment by AlanSykes, I stayed in Plasencia this year. I finished in Carcabosa and got bus the following morning to Plasencia, stayed in cheap hotel for 30e. It is a lovely city and well worth spending a day in. The Cathedral is great, the town- city is compact was also at a lovely exhibition by the Artist Miguel Peidro amazing landscapes. I must post more photos of the city on my blog. I have photos of Plasencia but they are mainly of the food in the open market there on a Tuesday.

http://dermotdolan.blogspot.ie/2014/04/via-de-la-plata-2014-photographs-work.html

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Dermot, you've confirmed my intention to stay in Plasencia next time. Oh, and here's a pic of the arch:

A9XljKoCAAAOEMI_002.jpg

and an eagle somewhere near Galisteo:

A9m9U5KCIAAk88X.jpg

Thank you for advice. Today we'll see where we a staying this night.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi!
We are now in Galisteo, and it seems that it's hard to find a place to sleep on a resonable distance from here without taking a taxi or doing some other some unusual pilgrim thing to do (we want to do our camino without modern vehicles)? The question is: Is it possible to sleep on Cáparra under the arc or some other place. Weather is quite warm and we can buy and carry our supplies from Carcoboso to Cáparra.
Heikki
My advice would be to stay the night in Carcaboso and then do the 40km stage to Aldeanueva del Camino where there is a nice albergue and some decent bars, restaurants and so on. I expect the arco would be a lovely place to camp if the weather was right, but it is a long way from anywhere. You wouldn't be able to pitch a tent immediately by the arch, but there are turf patches within a couple of 100 yards of the excavations that would be fine.

I hope you enjoyed Galisteo - I think those ramparts are amazing, and the minaret/steeple.

One year I plan to try to go off the camino and stay a night in Plasencia, which sounds a beautiful place, and then return to the arch, which might split the long sections effectively. I also want to visit Hervás, just after Aldeanueva, which apparently has a fantastic juderia, and some excellent restaurants.

And while on the subject, I can recommend doing the circuito romano at the balneario at Baños de Montemayor, which you will hit in a couple of days. Show your credencial and you get quite a big discount. It takes a couple of hours but is really worth it - I have seldom felt so clean and relaxed.

For we who are familiar with only the Camino Frances, it would be a service to mention which Camino to which one might be referring in a post similar. Maybe interest us to consider other paths in the future. Thanks

For we who are familiar with only the Camino Frances, it would be a service to mention which Camino to which one might be referring in a post similar. Maybe interest us to consider other paths in the future. Thanks

Hi drvnsmiln,

When you look at the posts, you'll see that the first line is the title of the post, and then the line underneath has a lot of information -- who posted it, the date, and the name of the camino being discussed. You can see this one is listed under the "via de la plata" section, which runs from Sevilla to Santiago. Buen camino!

What a beautiful accurate polite reply peregrina 2000.

A very happy Easter to you all.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi!
Heikki
I agree with Alan Sykes. However, that 40km from Carcaboso to Aldeanueva seems pretty long, especially the last stretch along the road, where a sign appears saying it's another 7km. In Carcaboso you can book an hotel in Plasencia, ring the hotelier from the Arco and be picked up by car, and brought back the next day. I met lots of people who did that. Personally I wouldn't want to sleep "wild" at Cáparra.

Thanks for your contributions Dermot. I start walking from Sevilla May 8th and a few of your comments about the route and accommodations have been helpful. Appreciated! Other posted comments about Plasencia have confirmed my decision to bus across to this place for a visit...who knows if/when we will pass by some of these amazing places again?

I agree with Alan Sykes. However, that 40km from Carcaboso to Aldeanueva seems pretty long, especially the last stretch along the road, where a sign appears saying it's another 7km. In Carcaboso you can book an hotel in Plasencia, ring the hotelier from the Arco and be picked up by car, and brought back the next day. I met lots of people who did that. Personally I wouldn't want to sleep "wild" at Cáparra.
A good idea. Any particular hotel(s) that you are aware of that would provide this service?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked from Carcaboso to Oliva de Plsencia , where there is nice albergue. For those who want to avoid asphalt, there is a great way to do this.

See Isabel's post here: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/galisteo-arco-de-caparra.7625/

She has a map and all the details you might need,

If you want a ride, all the post suggest asking in Carcaboso for a pick-up in the Arco de
caparra to go to Hostal Asturias.

Hi, Peregrina 2000
Thanks! I never noticed that before!!! That is a help to better understand which Camino is discussed. Joyous Easter to you.
Fran

We went Oliva de Plasencia and had a nice stay there in Albergue turistico. We we're propably the only ones staying there. The Bar Cáparra served good tapas with beer and a nice menu with friendly service. Now we are in Aldeanueva del Camino and staying in Albergue La Casa de mi Abuela, which seems to be one of the best albergues we have seen on VdlP.
Once more thank you for advice and active participation in this conversation.
Heikki

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A good idea. Any particular hotel(s) that you are aware of that would provide this service?
According to my French guidebook at Oliva de Plasencia there is the Refuge Touristique 647 401 775; in Villar de Plasencia Hotel El Avión 927 489 186, and the Casa Rural El Rincón de Villar 696 456 188. Also two hotels in Jarilla. Ask at the great private albergue in Carcaboso, Señora Elena. her son will tell you all details and probably ring up for you to make a booking.

In the summer of 2014, I walked from Galisteo to Arco de Caparra. From Arco de Caparra, I was picked up by Señor Rafael, the owner and brought to Casa Rural Via de Caparra in Oliva de Plasencia. The following morning, I was brought back to the Arco de Caparra to continue the Camino.

A pilgrim can call Señor Rafael to make a reservation for the night and make arrangements for pick-up from Arco de Caparra. They have a special price for pilgrims (20 euros) bed and breakfast, with free use of kitchen and washing machine. It was one of the best places if not the best place where I stayed in the entire stretch of the Camino from Sevilla to Santiago de Compostela.

Excellent accommodations! Señor Rafael and his mother Señora Salud were very friendly and very kind. They made me feel part of their family.

For reservations: 620 007 490/ 646466 795

Last edited:
I remember seeing that nice casa rural when I stayed in Oliva de Plasencia, and the price couldn't be more reasonable! I stayed in the albergue, which is also quite nice.

I know we've talked about it before, but just wanted to highlight that you can walk entirely off road on a nice trail to get out and back to this little town. I know there are some people who just don't want to get in a vehicle if at all possible. If you're one of those people, it's easy to avoid on this stretch of the Vdlp.

I had slept in Carcaboso. The next day, I walked to the Arco de Caparra, only 19 from Carcaboso. Then I was able to tour the ruins, the museum, etc, followed by a very easy flat walk on dirt trails to Oliva. The next day, just retrace your steps to the Arco and continue on to either Aldeanueva or Calzada de Bejar. The great thing about this alternative is that it allows you to visit the ruins, because on the next day walking from Oliva you're likely to get there well before their opening time.

Look at post #8 in this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/galisteo-arco-de-caparra.7625/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for advice. Today we'll see where we a staying this night.

This comes a bit late. We stayed the night in Oliva de Plasencia in albergue that was praised By Peregrina2000. We walked all the way there from Galisteo, it was a nice walk. Albergue was very good, had a double room and diy brekfast for 15 euros per peregrino. Too bad that next morning we were so early in Cáparra that everything was closed, so we have to go back to see it properly and also pay a visit to Plasencia.

I stayed in the lovely rural house in Oliva de Plasencia, the bar is nice too and the food is basic, but tasty. Interesting place! And the following morning you can see Antonio Lopez fighting bulls by the side of the camino, beautiful animals!

The first time (in the summer) we walked from Galisteo to Cáparra and then the owner of Hostal Asturias came to pick us up. The next morning we walked back to the Camino. The second time (last February) we walked all the way to Hostal Asturias.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back