• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flasher in Columbrianos!

Sarah Britton

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2014
Portuguese 2014
Hopefully this is not a common occurrence but today whilst walking through Columbrianos just a few metres past the Ermita Louise and I could see a man mid 30's Spanish appearance stood in a gateway with a car parked on our side of the road. He looked to be taking a toilet break which struck me as unusual as it was a residential area with a cafe bar just a minute away. As we walked towards him it became obvious this was not a toilet stop and he proceeded to perform a sexual act at the road side. Being two women on the wrong side of 50 we just tutted and walked on but were concerned for any other walkers following us particularly some of the younger single female travellers we have met. Neither of us felt confident enough in our Spanish to try reporting this to the police but just wanted to put a warning on the forum to be vigilant in this area.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hopefully this is not a common occurrence but today whilst walking through Columbrianos just a few metres past the Ermita Louise and I could see a man mid 30's Spanish appearance stood in a gateway with a car parked on our side of the road. He looked to be taking a toilet break which struck me as unusual as it was a residential area with a cafe bar just a minute away. As we walked towards him it became obvious this was not a toilet stop and he proceeded to perform a sexual act at the road side. Being two women on the wrong side of 50 we just tutted and walked on but were concerned for any other walkers following us particularly some of the younger single female travellers we have met. Neither of us felt confident enough in our Spanish to try reporting this to the police but just wanted to put a warning on the forum to be vigilant in this area.

Next time take a photo ^^ and show it to the police. They probably know him.

Ultreya,

I pulled into a layby to stop for a drink this morning after an appointment and the man in the car next to me flashed me, I spat all my water out laughing, ive never thought of of reporting a flasher to the police, but that's maybe being a bloke I didn't feel threatened and shrugged it off as him being a bit of an exhibitionist and harmless. I actually look forward to a flasher or 2 along the Camino it will brighten up my day..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Please, please people, report these incidents to the police. If you don't speak Spanish they will find someone to translate, even if only on the end of the phone. This behaviour may escalate to something worse, and even if not, he will continue what he is doing unless someone puts a stop to it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Always report, even if it a harmless flasher. Spanish police do take this serious! There is always someone around who can translate.

I would say: take out your photo apparatus, point and laugh - might discourage the flasher ...

Flashers are generally not known to harm women.

annelise

Flashers are generally not known to harm women.

annelise

The biggest fear is fear itself.

But, in the interests of keeping us all safe, I have to dispel a myth.

The biggest longitudinal study of which I'm aware (Firestone, Kingston, Wexler, et al 2006) found over 30% of flashers also engage in contact or violent sexual offences. One study (Freund 1990) found that 15% had committed rape. A significant number of offenders reported flashing only when they perceived it as unsafe to do more.

It is not safe to assume a flasher is harmless. You have a 70 % chance he's a harmless grub but a 30 % chance he's a spider.

If a flasher is threatening a woman he is threatening. Try to take note of details that will identify him (height, age, build, clothing, glasses, hair) but don't hesitate too long. The police advice is to act as if you are being attacked - yell "flasher!", shout, blow a whistle, and run away. Remove yourself from his presence as fast as possible. If he tries to follow scream like a banshee.

Do not confront a flasher because you do not know how he will react. Take a photo if you can do so safely but not at risk to yourself.

And please report it to police. If you do not you are allowing him to threaten others, quite likely children.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The biggest fear is fear itself.

But, in the interests of keeping us all safe, I have to dispel a myth.

The biggest longitudinal study of which I'm aware (Firestone, Kingston, Wexler, et al 2006) found over 30% of flashers also engage in contact or violent sexual offences. One study (Freund 1990) found that 15% had committed rape. A significant number of offenders reported flashing only when they perceived it as unsafe to do more.

It is not safe to assume a flasher is harmless. You have a 70 % chance he's a harmless grub but a 30 % chance he's a spider.

If a flasher is threatening a woman he is threatening. Try to take note of details that will identify him (height, age, build, clothing, glasses, hair) but don't hesitate too long. The police advice is to act as if you are being attacked - yell "flasher!", shout, blow a whistle, and run away. Remove yourself from his presence as fast as possible. If he tries to follow scream like a banshee.

Do not confront a flasher because you do not know how he will react. Take a photo if you can do so safely but not at risk to yourself.

And please report it to police. If you do not you are allowing him to threaten others, quite likely children.

We both feel that we should have reported it and having shared the story with a number of female pilgrims it appears that it is far more common than we thought. There were a number of young girls walking through the village just a few minutes after it happened so we waited til they had safely walked off in the opposite direction. I was shocked by the statistics Kanga shared and would not turn a blind eye again.

Well, I´ve said this before and I´ll say it again. I have reported flashers on three occasions on the Camino Francés. The first time it happened, on my very first Camino, we were so shocked, we just ran and tried to forget about it. But that´s really not the way to deal with it. Once the cops are alerted, they will be vigilant. If they get several reports, they will be even more vigilant.

This reminds me of the problem outside Sevilla and before Guillena on the Vdlp where pilgrims were assaulted a number of times by thugs with knives on bikes. It took a while, but the cops caught them. Without pilgrim reports, this would have remained on the forum as a big source of concern and anxiety.

If there is someone near Columbrianos who repeatedly positions himself on the Camino, the cops can find him. But they need to be told the details, so please please please report this. If you don´t speak Spanish, find someone who does who will go with you to the station. If the police station is closed, tell the hospitalera-o and ask him-her to do so. But tell someone other than us on the forum and your friends on the Camino. Once I "reported" a flashing outside Los Arcos to a street sweeper, because the police station was closed, and sure enough, within a day, there were cop patrols up and down the route.

This is a nasty experience to have, I have never been able to laugh it off the way some posts suggest, and I hope that people will realize that it is a criminal action and act accordingly. But don´t let it ruin your Camino either. Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It in no way ruined our Camino. As two 50+ ladies with 4 Nordic walking poles we felt well able to deal with most situations! Having returned to the UK on Saturday and completed our journey from France to Santiago we are happily planning a Portuguese Camino in June(me) a short trip to Finisterre in September( both with husbands) and Le Puy (Louise) next year.

pull out a big
It in no way ruined our Camino. As two 50+ ladies with 4 Nordic walking poles we felt well able to deal with most situations! Having returned to the UK on Saturday and completed our journey from France to Santiago we are happily planning a Portuguese Camino in June(me) a short trip to Finisterre in September( both with husbands) and Le Puy (Louise) next year.
pull out a big camping knife...start sharpening it and grin maniacally... I am so lucky (or not?) that I lived in Jamaica. It taught me a great many things about being safe. I was in a hold up there...4 big men with 8 big guns and my then boyfriend now husband was shot...he is Jamaican. I have learned since to wield a machete like a pro and I am not afraid of using one if I need to there. Guns are another story but so far all I have heard about is taser guns along the Camino. I just think be wise, walk softly and carry a big ass machete ....or walking pole...lol

Just a reminder 112 is the universal emergency number in Europe and they will put you through to somebody that speaks your language. Yes, always report flashers, but try not to react to them that that is what they get their 'kick/high' from. Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What would the street name for a flasher be in Spanish? ....what would someone report to the police.
Even with minimal Spanish..there will be a word that the non-English speaking policeman will understand.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
....what would someone report to the police.Even with minimal Spanish..there will be a word that the non-English speaking policeman will understand.

If you call 112 they will put you through to an English speaker. SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back