• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Something interesting between Porto and Santiago

Dirkhj

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2013
Camino Portugues May 2014
Camino Le Puy. May 2015
Hi
My wife and I will fly out to Porto on the 8th of may to do our 2nd Camino. Is there something / a place / something interesting /place to sleep or anything else that we have to do or visit on our way.
Thanks
Dirk & Ria

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm not sure if you mean "between Porto and Santiago" or "on the way to Porto". My suggestion would be to take the train from Porto up the Duoro Valley where they grow the grapes for Port wine. The terraced valleys are beautiful. Also, while in Porto, you might visit the Port Lodges on the south side of the river.

I'm not sure if you mean "between Porto and Santiago" or "on the way to Porto". My suggestion would be to take the train from Porto up the Duoro Valley where they grow the grapes for Port wine. The terraced valleys are beautiful. Also, while in Porto, you might visit the Port Lodges on the south side of the river.

The lodges are actually in Gaia, not in Porto :p

@Dirkhj , a lot of people recommend Casa da Fernanda, in Vitorino de Piães. I recommend you to visit also the church in Rates, na old Romanic church, very basic, but very beautiful. On Ponte de Lima, the city itself. In Tui, the Cathedral and the old part of town. In Pontevedra, the church of the Virxe del Camiño.

So many things to see :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi
My wife and I will fly out to Porto on the 8th of may to do our 2nd Camino. Is there something / a place / something interesting /place to sleep or anything else that we have to do or visit on our way.
Thanks
Dirk & Ria
When you are in Barcelos, take an extra day off and take the bus to Braga and visit the beautiful church Bom Jesus do Monte . Braga is a nice place to visit

Bom caminho

Only the very best albergue on the camino. Casa Fernanda, it I a must stop.
After the Braga highlight-see above- the next day you will have a great caminho experience indeed at casa da Fernanda in lugar do Corgo-Vitorino de Piaës between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.
Fernanda an Jacintho are very lovely people to open their house for pilgrims to offer a meal and a bed (donative )
The real caminho spirit you'll feel when you are there. I agree with you.
But there are others as good as well , only most of the pilgrims are not coming there.
On the Lisbon-Porto leg you'll find great albergues in Santarèm , Mealhada among others and in Albergaría-a-Velha you'll find casa Diacesano where nuns take care for your meals and you find a good place to sleep the area and the views are great there. Can't wait to go back there next month.Portugal is such a great country for walking and the people are so kind and helpfull.
Bom caminho

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi
Thanks
Dirk & Ria
Dirk and Ria

If you "praat Afrikaans" you could have a look at our travelblog
http://nel-en-albert-op-pelgrimreis.reismee.nl
The Dutch language then will not be a problem for you
Bom caminho

Many things to see and do in Porto, such as the port wine caves, walk on the river, etc. Also, Fatima is only a short bus ride away.

The restaurants in Porto are fabulous. Wander around the crooked streets and up and down hills to see what's up. I had my RunKeeper on (which shows a map) when we walked around in Porto, and the route we took was so convoluted a friend thought we were completely lost! Lost or not, we fell into some wonderful places to eat. There is on old prison (with a horrific history) that has been turned into a great art gallery…. a wonderful metaphor for the change that is possible. Porto is one of my favorite cities.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We took the tram out of Porto to the coast and walked up the coast...can't go wrong...just keep the Atlantic on your left and keep on truckin'. It's not the traditional route but if you like the ocean its a fine route and eventually you do meet up with the original inland Camino. No shortage of accommodation and as a pilgrim you are well welcomed by the locals.

Café Pedra Furada, in Pedra Furada. It's also a lovely place, runed by António. It's a mix of Jazz bar with Camino bar. You will love it! :)

Hi all,
I'll start my second Camino from Porto (most likely Matosinhos) on the 27th of May.
Looking forward!
Suzanne. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back