Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maybe it's official! (Camino de Invierno)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Camino Invierno starts in Ponferrada and goes southwest. It joins up with the Via de la Plata at the albergue in Laxe, the small hamlet outside of the city of Lalin, and then north to Santiago.

I have described my stages in this post, http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-stages-on-the-camino-de-invierno.11151/ and I think there were some other people who also added alternative stages. This route is very well marked, but only one or two albergues, at least as of today.

There are two good websites, both in Spanish, caminodeinvierno.com and caminodeinvierno.es

I think Susanna and I are going to add it to our Camino Olvidado, which we will conveniently finish in Ponferrada. Hope to see a few of you on the Invierno. Laurie

I think Susanna and I are going to add it to our Camino Olvidado, which we will conveniently finish in Ponferrada. Hope to see a few of you on the Invierno. Laurie[/quote]
Laurie
When are you starting ? Do you have an update here on your recent "gear", smart phone? ipad, camera etc? love to know ...Buen Camino.

I have now moved all posts about GPS, camera, iphones etc, to a new thread, which can be found here: GPS vs. phone vs. camera
Please continue the discussion about such things there.:)
Thank you,
Susanna/Mod.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Well, here's yet another announcement about the Invierno. Today the Xunta announced that they will do a study for the first half of the year to find out where the Invierno should go and then plan to mark it. But it is already marked, in fact a lot of the markings in Galicia are the official huge granite bollards with ceramic conch shells, installed several years ago by the Xunta. So this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...o-camino-invierno/00031394213058752233661.htm

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, here's yet another announcement about the Invierno. Today the Xunta announced that they will do a study for the first half of the year to find out where the Invierno should go and then plan to mark it. But it is already marked, in fact a lot of the markings in Galicia are the official huge granite bollards with ceramic conch shells, installed several years ago by the Xunta. So this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...o-camino-invierno/00031394213058752233661.htm

The knee came good Laurie , by the end of 2014 you will have another stage by stage to look at on this camino site.....will start in Madrid again , still finish in Muxia mate and maybe just maybe walk to a few little spots just south of Finisterre for R&R
If this becomes a success then three people should be very proud.....you are one and you know the other two....well done Laurie.
Too miss the crowds ...heaven

Hi Laurie, I start my camino this year on 8 May fromSJPP and I hope to walk the invierno. Unfortunately it will be before all your updates but I am studying all your previous notes and I am sure I will find the way. Thank you for all you detailed descriptions!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Laurie, I start my camino this year on 8 May fromSJPP and I hope to walk the invierno. Unfortunately it will be before all your updates but I am studying all your previous notes and I am sure I will find the way. Thank you for all you detailed descriptions!
Ok, Petro,
That means we'll rely on you for updates! :) I think you are going to love this route, but I say that about so many different caminos! Laurie

Laurie,

Here's more info from today's Mundicamio regarding the route between El Acebo and Penalba.

Margaret Meredith

This really does look like a delightful route. Definitely on my dreaming list!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Laurie,

Here's more info from today's Mundicamio regarding the route between El Acebo and Penalba.

Margaret Meredith

Thanks for this update, Margaret. Sounds like there are plans to renovate some abandoned pre-romanesque churches and to establish an albergue. I am sure that will attract more pilgrims - actually, I think it's a fairly popular place for hikers now, so we're hopeful the trail will be marked at least. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Petro, wonderinf if you walked the Invierno this year. If so, I'll pm you with some questions. :)

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has any updates on the promises of the Xunta to make this Camino "official." I know the wheels of bureaucracy work slowly, but it would be wonderful to have that little bump that official designation would likely provide.

Hi Laurie,

No I did not walk the Invierno this time, when I got to Spain I realized that my Spanish was not good enough to venture out on my own. It remains on my bucket list though and I will be following this thread!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ok, the Invierno is getting closer to official status. According to this Nov. 7 article in La Voz de Galicia, the Spanish Parliament will soon consider a law that includes a provision recognizing the Camino de Invierno as part of the national cultural heritage (patrimonio nacional). The steps have been pretty tortured and long. After years and years of urging from many local groups, finally in 2013 the Xunta undertook a study, and concluded that yes indeedy, this was an historical camino. I was not aware that the national government had to be involved in designating caminos, but if this passes as planned in December, the Invierno will start the new year as an official camino!

Buen camino, Laurie

Now the Archbishop of the Cathedral (which runs the Pilgrim's Office) has announced that as of January 1, they are going to start keeping statistics on the Camino de Invierno, since they are now recognizing it as an official camino. I don't know anyone who has had any problem getting a compostela when walking the Invierno, but the official recognition is certainly going to be a boost, and we will now have some real idea about how many people are walking it. Looks like everyone is jumping on the Invierno bandwagon!

See this article if you read Spanish. buen camino, Laurie

Once again the naysayers make some noise: http://www.diariodeleon.es/noticias/bierzo/el-camino-invierno-base-historica-tiene-poca_942682.html

At the conference in Villafranca (where our very own Rebekah is the US representative), presenters argued that the Camino de Invierno has very little historical corroboration, and that it shouldn't be enough to show that "four lost pilgrims" walked the route to make it a route. I hope Rebekah stood up for the Invierno!

I'm not a historian, though I am married to one, but I guess I don't understand all the fuss about the historical authenticity. It's a beautiful route, its pilgrim infrastructure is increasing, and the Pilgrims office doesn't have a problem with it in terms of qualifying for a compostela. Maybe they should pick on the Camino de Madrid instead of always beating up on the Invierno. ;)

Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Laurie,
Since it is called the invierno: do you think it is possible to walk it in wintertime, in terms of accommodation?
ria

Any more news about the Camino de Invierno getting official? I'm planning on walking it June 2015

Hi Laurie,
Since it is called the invierno: do you think it is possible to walk it in wintertime, in terms of accommodation?
ria

Hi, Ria, Sorry I didn't see this message till today. Since there are virtually no albergues, I don't think the time of year will have much of an impact on accommodations, unless some little pension owners close up shop for a few winter months. Are you planning to walk soon?

Any more news about the Camino de Invierno getting official? I'm planning on walking it June 2015

Hi, Ampolla, haven't heard anything more, but I don't think the designation will have any effect on your walk. I walked in 2010 or 11 and it was already well marked. Only a couple of albergues, which will probably change if the official designation actually comes and the numbers start increasing, but for now there are enough places to stay as long as you can afford rooms in the 20-30 euro range. I'm planning to go back in early July, hoping to see a pilgrim or two this time. Last time I met no one. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Ria, Sorry I didn't see this message till today. Since there are virtually no albergues, I don't think the time of year will have much of an impact on accommodations, unless some little pension owners close up shop for a few winter months. Are you planning to walk soon?

Hi, Ampolla, haven't heard anything more, but I don't think the designation will have any effect on your walk. I walked in 2010 or 11 and it was already well marked. Only a couple of albergues, which will probably change if the official designation actually comes and the numbers start increasing, but for now there are enough places to stay as long as you can afford rooms in the 20-30 euro range. I'm planning to go back in early July, hoping to see a pilgrim or two this time. Last time I met no one. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi laurie,
Thanks. Yes, thinking about end of this month. Didnt know there were no albergues: time for some serious research ☺
ria

Hi laurie,
Thanks. Yes, thinking about end of this month. Didnt know there were no albergues: time for some serious research ☺
ria
Ria, if you send me a PM with your email address, I can send you the nearly complete revision to Rebekah's Invierno guide and it has all the information about lodging. Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A friend with a casa rural near Chantada just sent me a link to a recent article confirming that once again the official recognition did not happen. The Association of the Invierno issued a statement expressing real disappointment and no explanation from the Xunta as to why it didn't happen. At the same time there is a lot of growing interest, but the official recognition from the Xunta must bring with it some real advantages like funding, publicity, and waymarking, I would imagine.

Maybe in 2015.....

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...inician-ano-decepcion/0003_201501M23C4991.htm

\

A friend with a casa rural near Chantada just sent me a link to a recent article confirming that once again the official recognition did not happen. The Association of the Invierno issued a statement expressing real disappointment and no explanation from the Xunta as to why it didn't happen. At the same time there is a lot of growing interest, but the official recognition from the Xunta must bring with it some real advantages like funding, publicity, and waymarking, I would imagine.

Maybe in 2015.....

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...inician-ano-decepcion/0003_201501M23C4991.htm

\
That's a bummer...
But we love it nevertheless ;)

This means that my planned 1750 kms to Santiago this year won't be rewarded with a compostela?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This means that my planned 1750 kms to Santiago this year won't be rewarded with a compostela?

No, no, Luka, don't worry. I walked the Invierno in 2012 and Kinky walked this past summer, and others from the forum have walked. We all got our compostelas with no questions, no frowns, no scrutiny. Whether the Camino de Invierno is officially recognized by the Xunta de Galicia is a totally different question from whether the cathedral will give you a compostela when you walk it. And they definitely will! Buen camino, Laurie

No, no, Luka, don't worry. I walked the Invierno in 2012 and Kinky walked this past summer, and others from the forum have walked. We all got our compostelas with no questions, no frowns, no scrutiny. Whether the Camino de Invierno is officially recognized by the Xunta de Galicia is a totally different question from whether the cathedral will give you a compostela when you walk it. And they definitely will! Buen camino, Laurie
But how do you get the sellos for each day?

But how do you get the sellos for each day?

Hi, ctdkite,
On the Invierno or any camino, you can get stamps in almost any commercial place, in post offices, in tourist offices, restaurants, hotels, etc. They probably won't be as pretty or as elaborate as on the more heavily traveled caminos since they will also have purely business purposes, but they will do the job! Are you going to walk the Invierno?

Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks. We are still researching the different routes. It will be the first camino for my me and my wife and we are looking for something other than the Frances, because we are not crazy about crowds.

Thanks. We are still researching the different routes. It will be the first camino for my me and my wife and we are looking for something other than the Frances, because we are not crazy about crowds.
No crowds on Invierno, that's for sure ;)
Beautiful Camino I can guarantee your this!!!
I think it's also ideal option if you start on CF and get fed up with crowds, you just turn left in Ponferrada and that's it. Get to Cruz de Ferro but skip O'Cebreiro, Sarria etc.

Ultreia!

I think what Kinky said is very important for your first camino.
The crowds are in the last 100km . You can avoid crowds very easily wherever they are .........don't stop at the recommended 33 stages.
We stuffed up Frances by hurrying in 08.
Since we have learnt by walking various other ways to take our time and avoid others in relation to where we stay and how long we walk for.
++ This year we will start in Moissac [ France and 350km before St JPP ] and get as far as Leon ......at our blister free pace.
The next year God willing is Leon to Muxia and then back to the Invierno.

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1: Ponferrada to Villavieja As usual, life has a habit of changing plans so we found ourselves on the Invierno a month later than expected. Regardless though, we are happy to finally get...
If I leave Ponferrada early enough to arrive in Villavieja and spend some time at the castle Cornatel, can I leave the next day, spend some meaningful time beholding las Medulas and Orellan, and...
Hi all - a question for all you Invierno experts: We are starting the Invierno (finally!) tomorrow, but there’s a slight issue with our plan. My partner needs to be present for a work Zoom...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back