• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Visa Problems?

Ice

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances June/July 2014
I'm traveling without a return ticket because I want to truly experience my Camino without a time table. Does anyone know if I might have visa problems when I go through customs in Paris? No visa is needed for stays under 90 days, but without a return ticket I can't necessarily prove that I'll be going home. Should I bring a copy of my work contract that begins in August? Am I just paranoid because I can control so little about this journey so I'm picking something manageable to worry about? :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I doubt it will be needed but it can't do any harm to take some evidence. The French passport control officers have never asked if I have a return ticket. Maybe they may only ask if alerted by an airline - I've always travelled with a return booked.

The officials at CDG - Paris are generally too bored to pay much attention, and I have never had them ask anything at all. You only give them your passport for review. So unless they have third-party information that prompts them to ask additional questions, I would not worry about it.

I hope this helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You probably won't get asked - but if you are asked make sure you have some reasonable dates in mind that both fall under the 90 day limit and agree with your travel plans.

In other words if you say that you plan walk the camino ( good for say 35-45 days) and then spend another month traveling around Europe - the customs folks might ask you more about the latter - where do you plan to go, for how long and how much cash are you bringing with you. The last question is a bit of trick question - since if you tell that you have bundles of cash with you - that will get them interested in you more. Instead just tell them you plan to withdraw money from the ATM machines as needed.

Cap if off the conversation by telling you must back home by ( fill in the blank) for work, a friend's wedding, etc.

First, I would caution you about seeking advice about visas and entry requirements on a forum like this. A lot of what gets posted on this forum is erroneous even as it is well meaning. It won't do you any good explaining to the customs officer that whariwharangi on the camino forum said it was so.

Second, there are lots of resources where you can find the answer to your questions:

The European Commission website provides the following link:

Schengen area border and visa policies
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/index_en.htm

Other places that provide information include your government's foreign affairs or state department websites, and embassy websites for the countries you plan to travel to.

I've only encountered problems with one way tickets when I went from Madrid to Buenos Aires. The Aerolineas Argentinas staff at check-in tried to insist that I must have a return ticket. I was on my 90th day on the Schengen Visa and could neither stay nor return to Madrid even if I had wanted to. I had checked with the Argentina embassy to Canada prior to purchase of a ticket. I had no difficulty entering Argentina at Buenos Aires. Its not likely to be the customs staff you need worry about; its the airlines that are afraid they may incur a cost in bringing you back if you are not allowed entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I recommend caution in matters of visa, Schengen-entries, etc. Ice herein is asking her question without revealing her nationality and it is therefore not possible to give her sound advise. Accordingly, the posts here are at best adventurous such as citing lazy immigration officials. I am widely travelled and the only 3 times I ran into deep troubles (such as having to take the same plane back from where I came from) was when I relied on friends advise; DON'T! Ask the proper authorities, consulates, or consult official websites.

PS added on later:
US-, Canadian-, Australian-, NZ-, Korean- and Japanese citizens have Visa-free access to the Schengen Area for 90 days in any 180 day period (which entails considering the 180 day period preceding each day of stay). Citizens from other non-Schengen countries may require visa. (Check it out!)
A good source of information is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area#Entry_conditions_for_third-country_nationals
The topic of the Schengen area has been discussed in great length in previous posts on this forum. Here are just two links:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...or-spain-from-us-with-a-one-way-ticket.25319/
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/puzzling-eu-schengen-no-visa-question.20421/
As for the "one-way " ticket, it's cheaper to buy a RT or open jaw and then, even with the penalty, change it if you have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are quite correct - we do know her nationality and thus it is possible she could require a visa to enter the Schengen area.

However I have had mixed results asking officials for advice especially when it comes to entering the Schengen area. I have traveled to Europe more than two dozen times over the past 20 years and watched the roll out of the Schengen area and for long while there was very little in the way of official documentation that the average traveler could obtain. In the my opinion the officials of the EU did a piss poor job of effectively communicating the rules of the Schengen area so much so, that local border customs officials basically made up their own rules - hence the stories we read about in the past of people being able to get away with this or that.

It is only in the past few years just after Switzerland officially entered the area, that the quality of the official documentation has become more clear and concise. Before then I realized that the best advice was using the advice of those that had gone before me, with a splash of common sense.

Country of origin is The Question here. For example, South African pilgrims need to get their visa before arrival and have some extra hoops to jump through. I also found French and Spanish officials enthusiastic and supportive when I told them that I was on the Camino--Germans (as many Canadian flights hit Frankfurt or Munich, from which we transfer to flights to Spanish aerodromes) are more matter-of-fact. Wharawharangi's advice is very sound.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm a U.S. citizen, and these responses have given me some good search terms to begin with. For example, I had never heard of this Schengen thing before - maybe I last traveled in Europe before this was a thing.

I have been working through the American Embassy, but their website isn't always the easiest to navigate. It doesn't hurt to carry a copy of my work contract with me as I can shred it once in the country, and it would document a reason to be home.

I just remember what a nightmare it was getting my visa to Russia and want to make sure I'm on top of things before it gets too late.

Sorry I didn't get back with my nationality earlier - I was off on a training hike :)

One thing I did just learn though, is that my passport has to be valid for three months after my last day of my trip. I barely made that cut-off!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On the question of expiry dates for passports last year the EU made some changed that you should aware of.

http://www.theloop.ca/travel/the-ad...92/New-Passport-Requirements-for-travel-to-EU

Basically this just confirms the original concept that your passport must be valid 3 months beyond the date of planned departure or in the case of Europe 6 months at the time of arrival - means the same thing if one assumes you are going the spend the full 90 days or 3 months in Europe.

One thing I did just learn though, is that my passport has to be valid for three months after my last day of my trip. I barely made that cut-off!

Right now would be a good time to renew your passport book before you go, since you already have a valid one, it doesn't take long to renew it.

Getting an 'official' opinion, as others have said, is probably the most reassuring thing to do.

The only problem I have ever had, when using a one way ticket, was on departure from my home country. At the airline check in desk they may ask why you only have a 1 way ticket.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Think how long your flight is. By the time you arrive the people at the other end have had all the time they want to check your info. Much of the info is forwarded by the airline.

I remember sitting at an airport waiting lounge in Germany. A flight came in from Paris (So internal Schengen officially no controls) before the rest of the passengers disembarked the police boarded and took a couple of guys into custody.

If you don't believe me think of the missing Asian jet. They "forgot" to check the passports against the interpol lost/stolen list and the airline.

Back