• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

greetings from Cudillerio!!!!

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
So this town has always charmed me via pictures and is not disappointing!
I left a friend in El Pito not certain I should persuade anyone to come here not knowing what to expect...now wish I brought company. very social energy here, stunningly beautiful, filled with umbrella cafes.
Honestly have no idea where my head will rest....it is 1900, vino in hand and I feel I have an hour to decide. One and a half kilometers separates me from an " auberge" sign in. El Pito ( the building before the church).
All the hotels offered dinner and I ate the largest lunch today.

Walked with a French gentleman who knows the Camino wells, we share the common interest of willing to walk and pay for good food. We arrived in Soto del Barco and he asked for " good food"... We were lead thru the town up the road past the train station. IF you come from Aviles this is about 6 hours, and if you like your larger meal at this time ( I usually do not) and you love good food and staff that will hug you on your way out even though every seat is taken you might want to take the extra few steps to get here.
SO make note....pass the train station, the left AFTER the train station walk up you will think you are in a neighborhood, that I am fibbing and that this place does not exist....pass about two homes, the road curves and you will fine this restaurant.
EL MESONIN DE TERE
La carrilona 15

We did the menu...
HUGE bowl of soup put before us of the traditional soup of the area, enough to feed three people, chicken, small salad, a chocalte tarte made there ( a man grills the food infront of you)....vino, aqua....for 14 euros. I think she said it is 8 during the week, but don't quote me.

After leaving Soto del Barco, David mentions in his book, " fork left up a steep dirt road". This is after crossing the river.
Here an elderly gentleman of 76 offered us free cokes. His casa is a simple white home right before you head up this dirt road. We declined the cokes thinking we were doing the right thing and instantly realized it was important to him for us to accept them. He talked our ear off, I could understand little BUT he just might be an angel on the Camino. I understood him say he was lonely....it took my French friend to tell me how lonely.
this man lost hismwife to a tragic accident....this is Good Friday and he said he is lonely and needs to speak to someone....pilgrims are his communication source.
He chose to walk with us up this steep hill vs not to talk to us.
His nake is. Franciso ( like San Fransico) and I would love for him to be treated by pilgrims as if an expected friend to expect on the. Camino....
Please be on the look out for him:).... Show him some needed love if you see him and know he has shown us love....
white humble home, high end small car dark color out front....he honestly is the last house on the left before you head up!!!!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Veo que has comido bien en mi pueblo. :)
El restaurante está un poco alejado del camino, pero si tenéis ganas de comer de menú, es buena opción.

https://www.facebook.com/elmesonin.detere?hc_location=timeline

La otra opción es preguntar en los bares de la glorieta dónde está eljubilado.

Estos días ya están pasando un buen número de peregrinos.

I see you've eaten well in my town. :)

The restaurant is a bit out of the way, but if you are like eating menu is good choice.

https://www.facebook.com/elmesonin.detere?hc_location=timeline

The other option is to ask on the bars of the gazebo where is "el jubilado".

These days are already having a good number of pilgrims.

I left a friend in El Pito not certain I should persuade anyone to come here not knowing what to expect...now wish I brought company. very social energy here, stunningly beautiful, filled with umbrella cafes.
Honestly have no idea where my head will rest....it is 1900, vino in hand and I feel I have an hour to decide. One and a half kilometers separates me from an " auberge" sign in. El Pito ( the building before the church).

Walked with a French gentleman who knows the Camino wells, we share the common interest of willing to walk and pay for good food. We arrived in Soto del Barco and he asked for " good food"... We were lead thru the town up the road past the train station. IF you come from Aviles this is about 6 hours, and if you like your larger meal at this time ( I usually do not) and you love good food and staff that will hug you on your way out even though every seat is taken you might want to take the extra few steps to get here.
SO make note....pass the train station, the left AFTER the train station walk up you will think you are in a neighborhood, that I am fibbing and that this place does not exist....pass about two homes, the road curves and you will fine this restaurant.
EL MESONIN DE TERE
La carrilona 15

We did the menu...
HUGE bowl of soup put before us of the traditional soup of the area, enough to feed three people, chicken, small salad, a chocalte tarte made there ( a man grills the food infront of you)....vino, aqua....for 14 euros. I think she said it is 8 during the week, but don't quote me.

After leaving Soto del Barco, David mentions in his book, " fork left up a steep dirt road". This is after crossing the river.
Here an elderly gentleman of 76 offered us free cokes. His casa is a simple white home right before you head up this dirt road. We declined the cokes thinking we were doing the right thing and instantly realized it was important to him for us to accept them. He talked our ear off, I could understand little BUT he just might be an angel on the Camino. I understood him say he was lonely....it took my French friend to tell me how lonely.
this man lost hismwife to a tragic accident....this is Good Friday and he said he is lonely and needs to speak to someone....pilgrims are his communication source.
His nake is. Franciso ( like San Fransico) and I would love for him to be treated by pilgrims as if an expected friend to expect on the. Camino....
Please be on the look out for him:).... Show him some needed love if you see him and know he has shown us love....
white humble home, high end small car dark color out front....he honestly is the last house on the left before you head up!!!!!!

Neve:

Not sure where you are exactly but you can not be far behind me. I can not tell from your note whether you are past El Pito or approaching. I found a lovely place by the Sea in El Rellayo . Hotel Marino. Hope you are settled in as rain has arrived on the Norte.

Ultreya
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Neve:

Not sure where you are exactly but you can not be far behind me. I can not tell from your note whether you are past El Pito or approaching. I found a lovely place by the Sea in El Rellayo . Hotel Marino. Hope you are settled in as rain has arrived on the Norte.

Ultreya
Joe

Joe, I think I am 4 kms behind you :)
Our paths are sure to cross

Joe, I think I am 4 kms behind you :)
Our paths are sure to cross

Neve:

I am currently in Cadaveda. Eating some lunch and then walking on another 7 km's to a small town Canero. I met a friend of yours Sebastian. I last saw him in Ballota. Therefore, he is somewhere between us. Only 2:00 too early to stop.

Buen Camino,
Joe

Last edited:
Neve:

I am currently in Cadaveda. Eating some lunch and then walking on another 7 km's to a small town Canero. I met a friend of yours Sebastian. I last saw him in Ballota. Therefore, he is somewhere between us. Only 2:00 too early to stop.

Buen Camino,
Joe
In Cadaveda....full house in a very very very small auberge, I honestly thought it was closed till I climbed the steps...
Lucky for me no bed here for me as they are full SO I get the coveted mattress in the kitchen....which I actually prefer:)
Sabastian is here!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In Cadaveda....full house in a very very very small auberge, I honestly thought it was closed till I climbed the steps...
Lucky for me no bed here for me as they are full SO I get the coveted mattress in the kitchen....which I actually prefer:)
Sabastian is here!

Happy to hear you found a place and your friend. There is a restaurant just before the Albergue with WIFI and good food. Though I guess you have found it. The seven Kilometers to here are relatively easy compared to the walk from Ballota. Did you notice the train stop in the middle of the woods?

Ultreya,
Joe

Yes!!!!
It was funny....I thought I could hop on and no one would notice...
Happy to hear you found a place and your friend. There is a restaurant just before the Albergue with WIFI and good food. Though I guess you have found it. The seven Kilometers to here are relatively easy compared to the walk from Ballota. Did you notice the train stop in the middle of the woods?

Ultreya,
Joe

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

EL MESONIN DE TERE
La carrilona 15

We did the menu...

I met the very same fella last July. Charming man

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.