• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poll: Which backpacks are most popular on the Caminos?

Which brand backpack did you carry on your latest Camino?

• Total voters
I met a group of Kiwis (New Zealand) last year who all had AARN packs. They loved them! By shifting even a couple of kilos from the back to the front, you better balance the weight. This reduces stress on your hips and shoulders. It might look odd. But by the end of a 30Km day, you will appreciate it.

This year, I have affixed a Z-Packs chest pack to the front harness of my Osprey Kestrel. Together with up to 4-500ml water bottles hung on the harness, this should shift about 3-4 kg to my front from my back.

The Z-Packs chest pack will contain those things I might want whilst walking and which normally would entail removing the rucksack. I am thinking of gloves, hat, sun hat, extra water, Buff, guide book, snacks, etc.

This is a proof of concept. I hope it works.

I've just found this link: http://ribzwear.eu/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a 35L Fjallraven Friluft which I couldn't be more happy with! I'll have to wait and find out if it's just as comfortable on the actual Camino as well though, but I'm sure we'll get along just fine.

Capen,
thanks for all the info.....I went to rei and tried on every pack I thought may work....narrowed it down to that dueter 45L+10 , or an osprey 46L. I was leaning toward the dueter until I had them both filled up with 20 lbs of weight then it was clear the osprey was probably the one for me as the dueter straps really rubbed my inner arm while walking. I'm going back to rei one more time to try again as the salesperson was very busy and I'm hoping adjustment can be made (that I don't know about) to the dueter as I really preferred that one overall. But I think the decision may be already made.
Luckily I don't walk until Sept so I have plenty of time to figure it out!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Jann
Just a quick comment on the arm rubbing on the Deuter.
I have the Deuter SL act lite 35+10. (Heaps of room BTW) but leaving that aside, I thought I felt rubbing too when I was testing it in shop but when I walk with my pack I use poles and my arms are quite clear . I haven't noticed it since the initial walk about when testing it.

The ability to shorten /lengthen is terrific for me.

Annie

Last edited:
Hi Jann
Just a quick comment on the arm rubbing on the Deuter.
I have the Deuter SL act lite 35+10. (Heaps of room BTW) but leaving that aside, I thought I felt rubbing too when I was testing it in shop but when I walk with my pack I use poles and my arms are quite clear . I haven't noticed it since the initial walk about when testing it.

The ability to shorten /lengthen is terrific for me.

Annie
Oh thank you so much for letting me know that.....rei said I could bring one home, fill it up and walk around a while, and if it didn't work out I could bring it back. Maybe I'll take them up on that and try the dueter. Thanks a ton!

Good, fast, cheap: pick any two.

• You can have good and fast, but it won’t be cheap.
  • You can have good and cheap, but it won’t be fast.
  • You can have fast and cheap, but it won’t be good.
The same applies to choosing a pack- light, comfortable, cheap: pick any two.

You can have light and comfortable, but it won't be cheap.

You can have cheap and comfortable, but it won't be light.

You can have light and cheap, but it won't be comfortable.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This thread is mostly a reflection of what is local.

For years MEC in Canada sold Gregory packs at very good prices. That meant it was one of the most popular brands.

Capen,
thanks for all the info.....I went to rei and tried on every pack I thought may work....narrowed it down to that dueter 45L+10 , or an osprey 46L. I was leaning toward the dueter until I had them both filled up with 20 lbs of weight then it was clear the osprey was probably the one for me as the dueter straps really rubbed my inner arm while walking. I'm going back to rei one more time to try again as the salesperson was very busy and I'm hoping adjustment can be made (that I don't know about) to the dueter as I really preferred that one overall. But I think the decision may be already made.

Go smaller if you can, everybody overlooks the Gregory line of packs, try the Jade 28 and Jade 38, you might be surprised.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Go smaller if you can, everybody overlooks the Gregory line of packs, try the Jade 28 and Jade 38, you might be surprised.

I've tried smaller.....my stuff doesn't fit in less that 45! This might be a personal problem :) but I'm really not bringing extras. Biggest items are sleeping bag, fleece jacket and rain gear....what am I doing wrong here? My bag weight is 7.5 kg (or 16 lbs for us Americans that can't do metrics!!)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've tried smaller.....my stuff doesn't fit in less that 45! This might be a personal problem :) but I'm really not bringing extras. Biggest items are sleeping bag, fleece jacket and rain gear....what am I doing wrong here? My bag weight is 7.5 kg (or 16 lbs for us Americans that can't do metrics!!)

How big is your sleeping bag? Something like a Deuter dream lite would be enough. Rain gear? A poncho and a light rain shell like a Marmot Precip will be enough. I wouldn't bring rain pants.
For a fleece, go for the lightest one you can find and layer with a rain shell.
The other way people pack too much is by packing extra food and snacks from home, I had at least 2kg of food and it took me over week to get rid of it all, I even left a jar of peanut butter on the picnic table at Orisson! (A Canadian girl who had been living Paris for the past year gladly took it) I also ditched more stuff in Pamplona.
Really take a long look at your packing list and shave it down.
I started at 21lbs and by the time I finished I was down to 16lbs, now that I know what to pack, I'm down to 14lbs with water in a 30L pack with room to spare.

Jann,

You don't even leave until September, and you've got a pack weight of 7.5 kg? (I assume that includes the weight of the pack itself? Which one did you choose?)

You could leave tomorrow if you wanted, so no stress. And really, a 45 liter pack is not huge. I think the big-ness of 45 L gets inflated around here, but seriously, 35 L and less are in "daypack/fair-weather weekend pack" territory. It's totally normal that a 45 L pack would be the right size to hold your stuff for a trek like the camino. As long as the pack is comfortable and your kg's are in single digits, you're just fine.

If you're at only 7.5 kg's, then you've already made some great choices. A lot of the "bulk" requiring a higher capacity pack comes from the fact that you probably don't own a lot of high tech gear. Which is fine.
In order to reduce more weight and space, you can:

1: Reassess luxury/comfort items. (But don't feel you have to eliminate them all. Going ultralight is not a magic number. Find a balance of pack weight and trail/travel comfort that works for you.)

2: Spend some (or lots of) money on some technical lightweight gear and layerable clothing that takes up less space or is more compressible.

3: Is your stuff, including your clothes, as "multipurpose" as possible?

cheers!
Caplen

Biggest items are sleeping bag, fleece jacket and rain gear....!)

I got a little scale and the results are eye opening:

My fleece jackets range from 635 to 250 grams . None of them are as warm or windproof as my Montbell down jacket, which at 205 grams is a milagro---lighter than a tee shirt.

My raingear has a similar range, with a nylon rain jacket from Helly Hansen coming in at 680 gms, and a Sea to Summit nano poncho weighing 190.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I got a little scale and the results are eye opening:

My fleece jackets range from 635 to 250 grams . None of them are as warm or windproof as my Montbell down jacket, which at 205 grams is a milagro---lighter than a tee shirt.

My raingear has a similar range, with a nylon rain jacket from Helly Hansen coming in at 680 gms, and a Sea to Summit nano poncho weighing 190.

Last year, I just winged it. My Osprey Kestrel 48 felt fine on local training walks, fully loaded. But, I had not counted on the Pyrenees - two days of UP! Well a day-and-a-half really. Once you cross the border into Spain, the path tends to level out then head down towards Roncesvalles. I recall that it was about 17 km UP, followed by 8 Km level or down.

In any event, it turns out that I was carrying 32 pounds - about 15 kilos. Well, by the time I made it to Pamplona, about six pounds went into a box at the post office and got mailed to Ivar's office at Santiago. By the time I made it to Burgo, another two pounds went in the mail to Ivar's place. I have to consume powdered protein every day to supplement my diet, so when I started, I was carrying an extra six pounds of that stuff.

This year, I prepared an Excel worksheet listing EVERYTHING I was even thinking of taking, base on last year's experience. I used a digital food scale to weigh everything, both in grams and ounces. When I considered whether to take this or that, the choice was usually made based on alternative weights.

I am mailing three-weeks of powdered protein ahead, to a mid-point stop, along with some other consumables for a savings of just about 2 kg at the start. Other economies cut another 7 - 8 pounds, or nearly 4 kilos from my total weight.

I am not so neurotic or obsessed that I shorten toothbrush handles or cut labels from clothes. However, I did try to get clever and argued a lot with myself regarding a few "just in case" or nice to have items. For the most part those items are GONE.

I leave one week from Thursday for Paris and St. Jean Pied de Port, starting my next Camino on 27 April. Presently, my rucksack weighs 21 pounds - all-in, or about 10 kg. Based on my weight, I could get away with as much as 12 kg. But, I KNOW there will be last minute items that will sneak into my rucksack. So, I assume I will be carrying between 10 and 12 Kg when I walk out of St. Jean on 27 April. That is still several kg less than last year.

Also, this does not include water weight or anything I am wearing. Still and all, comparing this year to last year, I estimate I am starting with 8 - 10 pounds LESS than last year. And THAT is an accomplishment, relative though it may be.

We will see what remains by the time I reach Santiago at the end of May...:eek:

My first pack was made for me by my mother at age eight. It was a pillowcase with straps attached. I loved that pack! Now, 57 years later, I seem to have come full circle, and I just purchased a Hyperlite Mountain Gear 2400 Windrider pack http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/review/product/list/id/29/category/6/?limit=20. It's made of cuben fiber and is an ultralite. It has the look of a pillowcase with straps attached -- just the thing for me!

How big is your sleeping bag? Something like a Deuter dream lite would be enough. Rain gear? A poncho and a light rain shell like a Marmot Precip will be enough. I wouldn't bring rain pants.
For a fleece, go for the lightest one you can find and layer with a rain shell.
The other way people pack too much is by packing extra food and snacks from home, I had at least 2kg of food and it took me over week to get rid of it all, I even left a jar of peanut butter on the picnic table at Orisson! (A Canadian girl who had been living Paris for the past year gladly took it) I also ditched more stuff in Pamplona.
Really take a long look at your packing list and shave it down.
I started at 21lbs and by the time I finished I was down to 16lbs, now that I know what to pack, I'm down to 14lbs with water in a 30L pack with room to spare.

My sleeping bag is good to 40degrees at 2lbs4oz,
my rain gear is a "sea to summit" waterproof poncho,
my warm pieces are a fleece jacket, knit hat, and gloves (I'm going to try to find a lighter wt. jacket)
other than that I have (not counting what I'll be wearing)
1 pants, 1 short sleeve top, I long sleeve top, (also will be shopping for lighter wt articles here)
I set silk long johns used for sleeping and cold weather,
2 changes of undies and socks,
crocs,
"sea to summit" towel, & minimum toiletries,
small homemade first aid kit,
phone & charger,
guidebook,
safety pins to hang clothes,
neck pouch for money, passport, credit
I don't think of any of that as luxury items??

I'm hoping when I shop for clothes to get some of my weight down as I was just using stuff I had to get a rough idea of weight. Since I've never backpacked or had to be aware of my luggage weight I don't have appropriate clothing for backpacking. But I do like shopping so I'm not worried about it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Jann,

You don't even leave until September, and you've got a pack weight of 7.5 kg? (I assume that includes the weight of the pack itself? Which one did you choose?)

You could leave tomorrow if you wanted, so no stress. And really, a 45 liter pack is not huge. I think the big-ness of 45 L gets inflated around here, but seriously, 35 L and less are in "daypack/fair-weather weekend pack" territory. It's totally normal that a 45 L pack would be the right size to hold your stuff for a trek like the camino. As long as the pack is comfortable and your kg's are in single digits, you're just fine.

If you're at only 7.5 kg's, then you've already made some great choices. A lot of the "bulk" requiring a higher capacity pack comes from the fact that you probably don't own a lot of high tech gear. Which is fine.
In order to reduce more weight and space, you can:

1: Reassess luxury/comfort items. (But don't feel you have to eliminate them all. Going ultralight is not a magic number. Find a balance of pack weight and trail/travel comfort that works for you.)

2: Spend some (or lots of) money on some technical lightweight gear and layerable clothing that takes up less space or is more compressible.

3: Is your stuff, including your clothes, as "multipurpose" as possible?

cheers!
Caplen

Caplin, Haha, do you think I'm excited or what?
Actually I bought both the osprey and dueter, I'm going to take turns loading up each one and walk around my neighborhood (REI's idea) to see which one works better for me. I'll leave all tags on then I'll return which ever one doesn't work. REI has been wonderful to work with.
My weight does include the pack ( both are within a few ounces of each other) but does not include water or snacks.
You're right, I don't own any high tech gear so I will be doing some shopping still. My weight is using stuff I already own so I know I can get it down a little more if I make good choices when I shop.
I feel like everything I've packed is necessities, no luxury items. See my post above and let me know what you think.
Fill me in on multipurpose clothes? I have much to learn....but lots of time to do it :)

Last year, I just winged it. My Osprey Kestrel 48 felt fine on local training walks, fully loaded. But, I had not counted on the Pyrenees - two days of UP! Well a day-and-a-half really. Once you cross the border into Spain, the path tends to level out then head down towards Roncesvalles. I recall that it was about 17 km UP, followed by 8 Km level or down.

In any event, it turns out that I was carrying 32 pounds - about 15 kilos. Well, by the time I made it to Pamplona, about six pounds went into a box at the post office and got mailed to Ivar's office at Santiago. By the time I made it to Burgo, another two pounds went in the mail to Ivar's place. I have to consume powdered protein every day to supplement my diet, so when I started, I was carrying an extra six pounds of that stuff.

This year, I prepared an Excel worksheet listing EVERYTHING I was even thinking of taking, base on last year's experience. I used a digital food scale to weigh everything, both in grams and ounces. When I considered whether to take this or that, the choice was usually made based on alternative weights.

I am mailing three-weeks of powdered protein ahead, to a mid-point stop, along with some other consumables for a savings of just about 2 kg at the start. Other economies cut another 7 - 8 pounds, or nearly 4 kilos from my total weight.

I am not so neurotic or obsessed that I shorten toothbrush handles or cut labels from clothes. However, I did try to get clever and argued a lot with myself regarding a few "just in case" or nice to have items. For the most part those items are GONE.

I leave one week from Thursday for Paris and St. Jean Pied de Port, starting my next Camino on 27 April. Presently, my rucksack weighs 21 pounds - all-in, or about 10 kg. Based on my weight, I could get away with as much as 12 kg. But, I KNOW there will be last minute items that will sneak into my rucksack. So, I assume I will be carrying between 10 and 12 Kg when I walk out of St. Jean on 27 April. That is still several kg less than last year.

Also, this does not include water weight or anything I am wearing. Still and all, comparing this year to last year, I estimate I am starting with 8 - 10 pounds LESS than last year. And THAT is an accomplishment, relative though it may be.

We will see what remains by the time I reach Santiago at the end of May...:eek:

Let us know how it goes this year....Buen Camino

I appear to be the only person that is carrying a private label pack (REI), which is odd. I would have assumed REI would convince SOMEBODY else to carry their pack. ;)

Actually mine is an old ultralight 45L pack. I am longwaisted (or shortlegged, whichever you prefer) and found that most packs under 30L were not long enough to sit on my hips correctly. Even using Osprey's plastic measuring thingamajigger to choose my pack size, the smaller packs just never fit well. This pack is longer, and is perfect for my build. It never gets filled, but is still lighter than most smaller packs. I am trying to use it only for Caminos to see if it will last a couple more decades. I am still trying to convince my wife to go.

Rambler

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
my rain gear is a "sea to summit" waterproof poncho,
my warm pieces are a fleece jacket, knit hat, and gloves (I'm going to try to find a lighter wt. jacket)
other than that I have (not counting what I'll be wearing)
1 pants, 1 short sleeve top, I long sleeve top, (also will be shopping for lighter wt articles here)
I set silk long johns used for sleeping and cold weather,
2 changes of undies and socks,
crocs,
"sea to summit" towel, & minimum toiletries,
small homemade first aid kit,
phone & charger,
guidebook,
safety pins to hang clothes,
neck pouch for money, passport, credit
I don't think of any of that as luxury items??

I'm hoping when I shop for clothes to get some of my weight down as I was just using stuff I had to get a rough idea of weight. Since I've never backpacked or had to be aware of my luggage weight I don't have appropriate clothing for backpacking. But I do like shopping so I'm not worried about it!

Deuter Dreamlite, that's one pound shaved off.
An ultra light fleece cap
http://www.polartec.com/warmth/polarfleece/
Silk long johns? use an albergue blanket on top of your sleeping bag.
6 cheap plastic clothespins are light enough to carry, I had some diaper pins, but never used them.
as far as pants and shirts go, I wore Mountain Khakis Granite Creek pants during the day, and I wore L/S Mountain Hardwear Canyon shirts (one blue or one green) during the day and wore MK Granite Creek shorts after walking with an Under Armor Heatgear tshirt in the evenings. All were quick drying.

Last edited:
Deuter Dreamlite, that's one pound shaved off.
An ultra light fleece cap
http://www.polartec.com/warmth/polarfleece/
Silk long johns? use an albergue blanket on top of your sleeping bag.
6 cheap plastic clothespins are light enough to carry, I had some diaper pins, but never used them.
as far as pants and shirts go, I wore Mountain Khakis Granite Creek pants during the day, and I wore L/S Mountain Hardwear Canyon shirts (one blue or one green) during the day and wore MK Granite Creek shorts after walking with an Under Armor Heatgear tshirt in the evenings. All were quick drying.

I know I'm weird but I've tried mummy bags and I must be claustrophobic, but I need a rectangle bag...otherwise I'm freaking out all night :/ ( I know, simple minds)
Thanks for the polar fleece jacket, cap and clothespin tips.

I'm going shopping for clothes later in the summer because I'm working out and hoping to drop some weight before I start my camino in Sept....but I assume I can find the correct lightweight clothes at REI? That is the only sport store around me that I'm aware of.
I can't thank you enough for your import....I know I'll be better prepared because of it!

I know I'm weird but I've tried mummy bags and I must be claustrophobic, but I need a rectangle bag...otherwise I'm freaking out all night :/ ( I know, simple minds)
Thanks for the polar fleece jacket, cap and clothespin tips.

I'm going shopping for clothes later in the summer because I'm working out and hoping to drop some weight before I start my camino in Sept....but I assume I can find the correct lightweight clothes at REI? That is the only sport store around me that I'm aware of.
I can't thank you enough for your import....I know I'll be better prepared because of it!

http://www.snugpak.com/military/military-sleeping-bags/jungle-bag

http://www.6pm.com for clothing and sun hats.

You all are sure different! I'm used to seeing long term backpackers who are carrying everything they own and traveling for a year or two or three. I see a lot of North Face and a lot of Wolfskin and starting to see much more Military surplus packs. Not at unusual to meet people carrying a 90 liter back on their back and another 90 liter pack on their chest. But they just hump their packs to the bus or boat or plane. Generally when they arrive at a destination, they leave their big packs in a hostel storage room while they do 2 or 3 day hikes with a small day pack.

Think I'll duct tape a five gallon paint bucket to a pack frame and weight it. Should be all I need.
Just make sure the lid fits well. Actually that is not unheard of. Dana Designs makes a frame with a platform that is designed to carry just about anything. I've seen it used to haul chainsaws into the back country or other such. There are bicycle panniers made from plastic kitty litter buckets also. If you carried 2 buckets weighted evenly you could get away with a shoulder pole. I saw tiny women in Viet Nam hauling huge heavy loads this way. They get a rhythm to their walk and they integrate the bounce of the shoulder pole with their gait. They can switch shoulders without missing a beat. Amazing! I would fall flat on my face if I tried that.

Lot of people still use external pack frames with pack attached in Western US and in Canada. Pack is removed and frame is then used to carry firewood, deer, elk, etc. If I use a plastic bucket, I also won't have to worry about my Iron poking a hole in my pack.

Caplin, Haha, do you think I'm excited or what?
Actually I bought both the osprey and dueter, I'm going to take turns loading up each one and walk around my neighborhood (REI's idea) to see which one works better for me. I'll leave all tags on then I'll return which ever one doesn't work. REI has been wonderful to work with.
My weight does include the pack ( both are within a few ounces of each other) but does not include water or snacks.
You're right, I don't own any high tech gear so I will be doing some shopping still. My weight is using stuff I already own so I know I can get it down a little more if I make good choices when I shop.
I feel like everything I've packed is necessities, no luxury items. See my post above and let me know what you think.
Fill me in on multipurpose clothes? I have much to learn....but lots of time to do it :)

Sounds like a great plan, bringing both packs home. REI is awesome that way!

Your list does look totally pared down, with no luxuries. So it's just a matter of replacing some of what you own with lighter weight alternatives. By "multipurpose" clothes, I just mean items that can be used in multiple settings.
Here is my (tentative) clothing list for the camino:
(May-August 2015 on a pieced together GR10/Norte/Primitivo/Fistera/Muxia/Costa da Morte/Ingles route)

Walking in (in general, fair weather):
Macabi skirt (also for evening, as it sheds water/dirt so easily it needs little laundering)
technical tee
bra/Wickers (long "boy shorts" undies - anti-chafe for skirt hiking)
trail runners/low-profile synthetic socks
bandanna (for tying back hair, washcloth, napkin, soak in water to cool down, etc)
hat (undecided - hate hats, but need sun protection, have yet to find system I love - though I do love my umbrella - http://www.golite.com/Chrome-Dome-Trekking-Umbrella-P928.aspx - I use it for sun protection on long, gentle, exposed trails/roads, as well as for gentle rain)

Carrying:
Crocs (shower, beach walking/swimming, evenings)
extra bra/2 extra Wickers/2 pr extra hiking socks
med weight long underwear (black, v-neck top - use as warm base layer, leggings/outerwear top, pajamas...)
2 tech tees (one "nice" one reserved for evening/rest day/sleep - but could hike in it if necessary)
sarong (skirt for evenings, but also towel, sheet, shawl/wrap, privacy screen, etc)
light nylon shorts (swimming, sleeping, laundry-wear)
fleece "warmies" (gloves, beanie cap, buff, sleep socks)
100 wt full-zip fleece hoodie
wind shirt (1 oz, worn alone or under fleece for extra warmth)
Packa (rain gear, also outer shell for extra warmth, belted w/ strip of velcro if wearing w/o pack)
(Undecided on also bringing zip-off hiking pants, and light long-sleeve button shirt)

Like you, I hate mummy bags. I'm slightly claustrophobic, and a side-sleeper. I need a full-zip, rectangular bag or liner, which I will still usually just use at least partially unzipped. There is no way I will spend hundreds of dollars on a super-lightweight , down bag that I will never zip myself up in.
My current liner, which I was planning on taking (I just sleep in extra clothes if it's cold, or no refugio blankets are available) is microfiber, rectangular and full zip. It also weighs 21 oz, so on the heavy side for a liner. I'm eyeing this as a possible replacement - http://www.proforceequipment.com/product-details.php?id=203&catid=4 It's 27 oz, but still light for a bag, with more warmth than a liner, and it opens up fully to a blanket. Perfect for me.

It's great to shop REI if you're a member and earn dividends. Here are 2 other good online sources for clothing and gear:
http://www.campmor.com/ (cheap year-round, great & easy returns)
http://www.backcountry.com/ (great customer service, usually pricey - but have twice a year 20% off sales)

cheers,
Caplen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My first pack was made for me by my mother at age eight. It was a pillowcase with straps attached. I loved that pack! Now, 57 years later, I seem to have come full circle, and I just purchased a Hyperlite Mountain Gear 2400 Windrider pack http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/review/product/list/id/29/category/6/?limit=20. It's made of cuben fiber and is an ultralite. It has the look of a pillowcase with straps attached -- just the thing for me!
I wouldn't call 799 grms ultralite, that's four times heavier than my Mountain Warehouse pack

I would also recommend having your backpack fitted properly. Take your fully-loaded pack to a reputable sporting goods store, preferably where you purchased it, and have the strapping fitted and adjusted for you. Your shoulders will thank you!

Believe it or not, but I used a backpack bought from Tesco. Would not advise anyone else to do that. Bag is grand but hip belt leaves a lot to be desired. But still, it got me there and it survived the journey. It will not be going with me the next time :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sounds like a great plan, bringing both packs home. REI is awesome that way!

Your list does look totally pared down, with no luxuries. So it's just a matter of replacing some of what you own with lighter weight alternatives. By "multipurpose" clothes, I just mean items that can be used in multiple settings.
Here is my (tentative) clothing list for the camino:
(May-August 2015 on a pieced together GR10/Norte/Primitivo/Fistera/Muxia/Costa da Morte/Ingles route)

Walking in (in general, fair weather):
Macabi skirt (also for evening, as it sheds water/dirt so easily it needs little laundering)
technical tee
bra/Wickers (long "boy shorts" undies - anti-chafe for skirt hiking)
trail runners/low-profile synthetic socks
bandanna (for tying back hair, washcloth, napkin, soak in water to cool down, etc)
hat (undecided - hate hats, but need sun protection, have yet to find system I love - though I do love my umbrella - http://www.golite.com/Chrome-Dome-Trekking-Umbrella-P928.aspx - I use it for sun protection on long, gentle, exposed trails/roads, as well as for gentle rain)

Carrying:
Crocs (shower, beach walking/swimming, evenings)
extra bra/2 extra Wickers/2 pr extra hiking socks
med weight long underwear (black, v-neck top - use as warm base layer, leggings/outerwear top, pajamas...)
2 tech tees (one "nice" one reserved for evening/rest day/sleep - but could hike in it if necessary)
sarong (skirt for evenings, but also towel, sheet, shawl/wrap, privacy screen, etc)
light nylon shorts (swimming, sleeping, laundry-wear)
fleece "warmies" (gloves, beanie cap, buff, sleep socks)
100 wt full-zip fleece hoodie
wind shirt (1 oz, worn alone or under fleece for extra warmth)
Packa (rain gear, also outer shell for extra warmth, belted w/ strip of velcro if wearing w/o pack)
(Undecided on also bringing zip-off hiking pants, and light long-sleeve button shirt)

Like you, I hate mummy bags. I'm slightly claustrophobic, and a side-sleeper. I need a full-zip, rectangular bag or liner, which I will still usually just use at least partially unzipped. There is no way I will spend hundreds of dollars on a super-lightweight , down bag that I will never zip myself up in.
My current liner, which I was planning on taking (I just sleep in extra clothes if it's cold, or no refugio blankets are available) is microfiber, rectangular and full zip. It also weighs 21 oz, so on the heavy side for a liner. I'm eyeing this as a possible replacement - http://www.proforceequipment.com/product-details.php?id=203&catid=4 It's 27 oz, but still light for a bag, with more warmth than a liner, and it opens up fully to a blanket. Perfect for me.

It's great to shop REI if you're a member and earn dividends. Here are 2 other good online sources for clothing and gear:
http://www.campmor.com/ (cheap year-round, great & easy returns)
http://www.backcountry.com/ (great customer service, usually pricey - but have twice a year 20% off sales)

cheers,
Caplen

This may be a weird questions but, what are wickers?
I picked up some great ideas from your list (BLACK long underwear, and sarong) and thanks for the links, that sleeping bag looks really good.
I'm putting off buying clothes until closer to departing as not only am I trying to get my pack weight down....I'm working on my own weight too!!
But I'll definitely use the links when I get ready to buy!
Thank you so much for all your help.....I'm feeling more confident every day :)

Believe it or not, but I used a backpack bought from Tesco

Our pack that has held up the best is the one my daughter uses and which was purchased at KMart about 12 years ago. What kills packs is the constant friction of rubbing the floors or roofs of buses, boats or trains in third world countries. Have also had side pockets of packs completely disappear from loading machinery feeding luggage into planes. Learned not to pack anything worthwhile in side pockets for plane trips.

Have also had side pockets of packs completely disappear from loading machinery feeding luggage into planes. Learned not to pack anything worthwhile in side pockets for plane trips.

Most people carry-on their packs so that this is not an issue.
But...
One solution for protecting your pack for airline trips is this 30"x40" laundry bag from Gorman Distributors
imageResizer.asp
, no minimum, and free shipping in the US. Gorman's item is ZZZXX, and you will have to call them to order 1-2. I have about 10 of various colors left over here that were never used for a Boy Scout trip. Am willing to send 1-2 bags to any forum members that PM me for the cost of shipping. First come first served till they run out. They are so cheap that you can just give them away when you arrive in St Jean, or use them to send items on forward to Santiago. the Side handle makes it easy to transport and the color easy to spot in baggage claim.
http://gormandist.com/product.asp?List=1&SubCategoryID=&lngSortField=&Page=6
I am not affiliated with Gorman,
Rambler

Bought Contractor size garbage bag for backpack and will give duct tape to Airport staff to close it up after they inspect it. Recently flew both American and Delta and they did NOT allow backpacks on as Carry On unless they and their attached sleeping bags/sleeping pads fit into their size limits. Those over size 30 liter bags with their loose attachments had to go into Aircraft luggage .

I don't try to carry-on my backpack, just put it inside a cheap woven plastic blue and red bag (common from $2 shops) in the baggage hold. It takes my poles as well, strapped to the backpack with duct tape. Never had a problem and easy to spot on the carousel.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kanga
We also bought a large red white and blue bag from a $2 shop and will put both our backpacks in it - we are then going to send the rwb bag in our suitcase to Santiago from SJPDP so we have it for the rest of our trip - we are also taking clear plastic bags to put our back packs in in Albergues - so we can see our bags and keep the bed bugs out - anyway Buen Camino

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

I chose a North Face 35 liter for a couple of reasons. First was the wide hip band and second was the size, it was the smllest bag I could find with a nice wide band. I believed the larger the bag, the more I would find to stuff into it After four trips I'm starting to change my thinking, I've come to realize I'm not taking any less each time but just jamming the same amount into the same small space. Next time I'm going to look for a bigger bag to make the daily repacking easier.

my rain gear is a "sea to summit" waterproof poncho!
Jann - I am sure you can find lighter, warmer/cooler sleeping bags than one that weights 2ibs,4 oz - which for those of us in the metric world comes at out 1.056 kg. Mine in under 800 grams and I am thinking about finding a lighter one (there are ones less than 500 gms). Unless you are one who really feels the cold or your walking in winter try one of the summer light weight ones (with a silk liner). Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bags for backpack--I'm flying out of a small airport where local baggage handlers told me they MUST physically inspect all contents of a backpack. I really don't trust them to then repack it securely with sleeping bag and pad on outside. I can not go into the room and repack it myself either. So I made a deal--I will supply the handlers with large plastic bags and duct tape to close up my backpack after they go thru the contents so that it should make it to Madrid with sleeping bag and pad still attached and with all pack straps still on the backpack. And I can not put this stuff in my carry on as that is holding my clothes and stuff for travel in Spain before I hit the Camino

Forgot something--when talking to local baggage handlers, they told me that I should attach a name tag to my backpack. I always just have an envelope inside with my contact info...but they said that they are NOT allowed to open any lost luggage. If no nametag on outside, lost luggage goes to places where it is sold.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use a black nylon cover for my rucksack on longer backpacking trips. It has a shoulder strap and handles, looks like a holdall type bag but much lighter and has a lockable zip.

It's useful for checking into nicer hotels occasionally as some places can get a bit snotty when you turn up in a battered, dirty old rucksack. Stick it inside, change of clothes and you look like a decent human being long enough to get the room key.

My most comfortable rucksack is an army surplus Berghaus Vulcan. It's massive, I think about 100 litres if you include side pockets, but very comfortable. Total overkill for the Frances although it was handy for the Salvador as I wanted to take full camping equipment.

Forgot something--when talking to local baggage handlers, they told me that I should attach a name tag to my backpack. I always just have an envelope inside with my contact info...but they said that they are NOT allowed to open any lost luggage. If no nametag on outside, lost luggage goes to places where it is sold.
I am surprised at the "local search" procedures - even in down-town Philli? As for the name tag - I usually have at least 2 tags on all my luggage - both checked and carry on. Even then I had to produce other ident to ague that a bag was mine - looked the same as someone else.

Hope someone can give me an answer to this question. When in SdC airport last week I had my pack wrapped in a kind of clingfilm, stiff plastic before putting it on the transportband at checkin. Some airports have plastic containers to put your pack in at checkin but SdC hasn't.
Does this automatically means that packs that are wrapped in this manner are never checked and opened? What would have happened I wonder if I had accidentally put in something ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hope someone can give me an answer to this question. When in SdC airport last week I had my pack wrapped in a kind of clingfilm, stiff plastic before putting it on the transportband at checkin. Some airports have plastic containers to put your pack in at checkin but SdC hasn't.
Does this automatically means that packs that are wrapped in this manner are never checked and opened? What would have happened I wonder if I had accidentally put in something ?
Well, of course it depends on what you may have accidentally put in.....Hold baggage is passed through various scanners to (hopefully) pick out bombs etc, but walking poles/knives/scissors/corkscrews - all the things the modern pilgrim needs - will be OK.
Carry on bags are of course subject to intimate checks - for the walking poles/knives/blahblah that the modern pilgrim needs, and of course, especially, so we understand, at Santiago airport, these items will be confiscated.
Edit: embroidery needles did get through as carry on baggage last time at SdC airport.....
hence the - since deleted - pic on here of my in-flight embroidery project.:)

Last edited:
Cheers Travellingman. Hmm I feel a project coming on : Ryanair selling embroidery kits of their logo. Instant hit I guess...;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Cheers Travellingman. Hmm I feel a project coming on : Ryanair selling embroidery kits of their logo. Instant hit I guess...;)
Well, the harp would make a good sewing project.
New rule for prospective camino walkers: apart from reducing pack weight to under 5 kilos (see previous posts on this) all pilgrims must have at least one quiet pastime to indulge in during albergue evenings.

Osprey - UK. I quite liked the Deuter specs but my local stores had very few. Cotswold Outdoor staff were pushing Osprey. I am very happy with my Osprey Kestrel 38 litre. I'm training with 10 kg, hoping to shave it down a bit before Camino.

Odd when I was there it was they were very impartial tending to emphasis the fit and comfort. Needless to say the assistant when questioned admitted out of all the sacks shed carried she had a preference for Deuter. Having tried on many many sacks I have found the one for me but not at Cotswold, and yes its a Deuter! It just felt right for me! Good luck guys.

Just finished walking SJPDP to santiago. Would estimate 80% of packs being carried were Osprey. Not that carrying one is good as they have the look of a potato sack and we all know it is better to look good than to be good. My North Face pack broke two buckles and has two serious tears in material. In my opinion the best packs I observed were Quechuas. If I go totally senile and walk the Camino again I believe I will carry a Quechua.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just finished walking SJPDP to santiago. Would estimate 80% of packs being carried were Osprey. Not that carrying one is good as they have the look of a potato sack and we all know it is better to look good than to be good. My North Face pack broke two buckles and has two serious tears in material. In my opinion the best packs I observed were Quechuas. If I go totally senile and walk the Camino again I believe I will carry a Quechua.
Congras on completing the Camino. My wife and I start from SJPP this September. Can you offer up any tips for an older couple? Oh by the way we will be walking with Osprey.

I tried Osprey, Deuter, Gregory, and REI brands. I have a very short torso on a tall body, I'm 55 years old and I have MS. The heat can set off my MS-related muscle spasms so a ventilated back was absolutely necessary. Therefore, trial and error was the only way to go.
I actually liked different things about each of them. The Deuter was my number 2 choice but the Osprey won out for adjustability, a bottom opening, most airflow for my back, light weight, and most importantly, comfort as I used the full pack.
Your pack is a very personal decision. Buy it in a shop that allows returns so you can try it out for a long walk with your things inside. (Of course, be sure to treat the "test pack" gently so it is still in excellent condition upon it's return.)

Jabaldo, the Camino is like an old folks home. You will have plenty of company with older people as they have the time to hike long distances. Footgear is more important than the pack. People quickly adjust to a bad pack or a heavy pack but do not adjust to bad shoes. People who carry lite packs stay in warm hotels generally. Don, t worry about weight as personal comfort after walking is more important than carrying a few extra kilos. Wait until you see what the Koreans carry! Definitely take a sleeping bag as not all albergues have blankets and the mountains are cold at night. Met a lot of people who bought sleeping bags along the Camino. Albergue at roncevalle sells sleeping bags for 64 euros. I'm 67 and my novia is 71 and we had no problems walking Camino. Others who met me can confirm that I sometimes filled my pockets with rocks to add weight along the march.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
An Osprey for me and only because it fitted well. And I am a kiwi.

. If I go totally senile and walk the Camino again I believe I will carry a Quechua.

Well you'd save money. Quechua is the Decathlon store brand. Even at full price it's likely cheaper then any name brand product. I wouldn't call them great packs but they do have various models to fit most basic needs. Starting with a €4 daypack.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks so much for the responses ..... I was worried the 36 liter pack (gossamer Gear "Kuma") I just ordered would be too small, but it sounds like it should be doable. I guess if my stuff doesn't fit I need to get rid of some stuff! I was excited to find this backpack weighing only about a pound.....should receive it in the next few days. That will help keep my weight down :)
I just bought a 35 liter! I love it! SO much easier and lighter than my pack from last time. And as far as I can tell all of my stuff fits easily.

I haven't walked the Camino yet but I've slogged through two years of backpacking. Granted it was some time ago but my back remembers it to this day. I think I can say with confidence that anything you can buy now is incredibly better than I had decades ago. And I still made it around the world. Now that I am planning to walk the Way next year, though, I've become obsessed with getting the right pack. Really wanted it to be a Gregory Z because of the highly developed ventilated back. Alas, it hurt me. Tried on everything in REI and finally settled on an Osprey. Right. So, I'm a Yank. But it fits my body really well AND it has a ventilated back. Problem solved. Bottom line: get what makes you feel good.

I just bought a 35 liter! I love it! SO much easier and lighter than my pack from last time. And as far as I can tell all of my stuff fits easily.
Which model is that? I've owned several different accessories made by Gossamer Gear but never purchased any packs from them. My wife will probably need a new pack next year, wonder if one of the GG packs would work. Maybe an Osprey or GG.

My biggest concern with the Gossomer Gear products is their lack of weight carrying capacity. I realize that carrying the less the better, but when a pack has a maximum weight capacity that is about what I think we will be carrying then it worries me that it will maintain its comfort over a long distance. For example the Kumo is suggested to carry 20#, or about 9kg. And their Murmur pack is designd for only 15# loads, but really I'd never want to push it to the maximum weight based on my experience with other brands.

I suppose a Kumo would be fine if my wife carries 7kg then a pack with a 9kg weight capacity would probably be fine, but if she is carrying closer to full weight capacity then I have to wonder if it would be the right pack.

I do love the Gossamer Gear stuff that I own, its well made and weighs next to nothing. But I'd love to hear about Camino experiences with their packs and the weights carried.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have a 35L Fjallraven Friluft which I couldn't be more happy with! I'll have to wait and find out if it's just as comfortable on the actual Camino as well though, but I'm sure we'll get along just fine.

I'm looking at the same pack as you, or the fjallraven bergen 30. How do you rate the support system and the hip belts? I'm a rather hippy shaped short woman and really should have a women's specific bag. But I really like many things about the fjallraven's. Otherwise I am looking at Deuter ACT Lite 35+10 SL. Any other suggestions??

No name brand for me - keeps people guessing where I am from

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Every pack I own is a Kelty. Every pack my wife owns is a North Face. In other words, whatever fits you best should be the bag you buy! :)

I have that same Friluft and it is great.
But i can not deside to bring af camelbag or not.
There are a pocket for it but no strap to secure it. Odd enough?

Aarn Featherlite Freedom. A better mousetrap. View attachment 9135

Hi Kanga, doing CF 19 March start SJPP, just a quick question, do you use the Aarn backpack when you carry a sleeping bag? I packed my 32L Osprey w 880 gm 2C sleeping bag in compression sac but I find the sleeping bag awkwardly bulky so looking at backpack options vs buying a more expensive lighter sleeping bag (I'd prefer to change to light backpack). Any suggestions? Much appreciated !

Yes, @Colette Zaharie, I take a sleeping bag (or quilt) and the last trip I took a fitted bottom sheet as well. It's one of the advantages of taking a bigger pack.

old school american dana design m-80 for the camino and those pesky zombcie outbreaks.

Haha! I have a Dana Design, too - love that thing! Built like a tank and comfortable as heck - heavy compared to modern packs but simple. Unfortunately much too large for the Camino. :(

I went to a couple outdoor supply stores to check out smaller packs - got fitted as well just to make sure. Went in thinking I'd get an Osprey like my friends have and rave about but they were a terrible fit and I hated the fussiness of the buckles and cord stops. Turns out I'll be yet another of those random Americans on the Camino in a Deuter (so comfortable! Also simple and functional).

I did, however, note the style/size and bought a previous year model in a superior color scheme at half the price online. (I got the Act Trail Pro 38 SL) Look forward to using it this summer to break it in for my first Camino next year. :)

Capen,
Osprey's women specific packs I highly recommend. Mine is pink, and that's fine by me.
Only thing - Ospreys 'floating tops' don't work well if the pack is half full. So my 36 litre camino bag makes a terrible floppy day bag when I am at home.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.