• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food problems between Carrion and Ledigos...

S

simply B

While I always look for the positive on the Camino, I have come across a startling number of pilgrims falling ill from gastrointestinal problems. ¨Startling¨defined by seeing one and talking to three other pilgs over the course of a few days between April 15 and April 19, 2014.

The focus seems to be related to a layover between Carrion de los Condes and Ledigos. It could be a coincidence but I thought the level of discomfort/delay observed should be relayed. It would not hurt to be extra careful regarding the degree of cooking and fresh food intake from a day before Carrion to a day after.

I am not pointing fingers, I am just raising an alert with minimal data. I did not observe such a problem in my first Camino 18 months ago so perhaps it is a transient infection.

B

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am not pointing fingers, I am just raising an alert with minimal data. I did not observe such a problem in my first Camino 18 months ago so perhaps it is a transient infection.
B

In my experience, these problems generally stem from a person in the albergue or hostal with the flu giving it to the rest of the pilgrims, rather than any issues with water or food. People with flu should be responsible and get private lodging, in my opinion.

On one of my Caminos, a Spanish woman had a terrible flu and her family refused to go to a private. While the rest of us were burning up, and wanted the windows open, they insisted on closing the windows because she was having chills, and so the rest of us were bombarded with her sneezes and coughs and vomiting for the next 10 hours. In the next two weeks, I met probably 20 people with the flu, and all had spent the night in this particular albergue. I also got sick and suffered for the next 10 days.

I think if the family could not afford private lodging, the rest of us would have happily taken up a collection just to save us from being exposed.

It sucked.

I have come across a startling number of pilgrims falling ill from gastrointestinal problems.

The focus seems to be related to a layover between Carrion de los Condes and Ledigos.

Every year there is always more than one post relating a bout of GI problems along the Camino. More often than not the location(s) are frequently located along the Meseta. I personally drank from every fountain I could take water from and never felt even nausea, but did avoided fountains with "AGUA NO POTABLE" signs. On average, it seeems Spaniards are very mindful of their water supplies and take care of posting when not recommended for drinking. To be honest, this could very well be just your typical GI bout, a matter of coincidence, more than incidence. I do concur that people ought to show consideration and if ill, stay away from others not to exposed others to illness. It amazes me those folks who judge ill of others who transfer bagagge or stay at hostels but who show little to no consideration to others while staying in albergues. Go figure.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is almost inevitable that stomach viruses will be shared when so many people are in tightly packed accommodation. If you get ill, please seek help and isolate yourself from others. Imodium is always in my kit. I've only had to use it once (not on the meseta) and I put myself in a hotel for 2 days. Expensive but I really needed that private bathroom!

Don't want to go into medical details ( not a doc myself ) but be careful with Immodium seeing this med " stops " the bowel movement completely. Better to , aside from drinking enough fluids like water and some coke or tonic, buy some
Saccharomyces boulardii in the local farmacia. Outside Spain known as Enterol and in Spain as Levadura probiotica.

I used to be a fan of Immodium for many years. I travel a lot so GI problems do occur from time to time. The problem with Immodium, is that it does rather bung you up! Probably not too healthy when you think about it. Better to have the 'offending items' not stay around in side you I would have thought.

I have no medical evidence, but I now 'swear by' a Thai product my wife introduced me to. I have no idea of the ingrediants but it works really well. It settles the stomach and eases the bowel problems without the 'setting like concrete' approach, if you get my meaning. I never travel without it.

Maybe someone can comment on it.

It's called. Flying Rabbit - Mist Salol et Menthol.
Each 100ml contains:
Salol 2g
Anise Oil 0.132 ml
Menthol 0.176g

Perhaps there is a Western equivalent?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I must have a relatively iron gut, because I had no G.I. problems. My wife, however, had at least three short-term episodes, two of which we are pretty sure were related to eating tuna empenada for lunch the day before. So beware of food which has been left sitting out on a counter for who knows how long. Fortunately none of her episodes seemed to be related to a contagious virus, since no one else around us was affected -- they were most likely caused by low-level food poisoning.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.