• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where did you walk today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1397740762.770895.jpgmonday I climbed a local mountain that we call "Quigly". Kicked my behind! My little home town is in the pic:) Idaho is beautiful! After getting back to my car 2 hours later, I realized that I am not in good of shape as I thought! God be with me. Only 2.5 weeks til my journey!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Smith Rock State Park. The first day of warm weather hiking this year. Central Oregon is amazing in the spring, with skiing until June and great hikes and rock climbing in the desert, just pick your activity.

.View attachment 8714
Newfy, I was at Smith Rock State Park a couple years ago. What beautiful country!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love this thread. You mind if I post some more pictures ? From last sunday.
I live in southern Norway, and have the wildernes across the way, so this is my training area, and I love it :)

Jonas, your photos are beautiful. I would love to visit Norway.

Had a great walk in sunny northern California yesterday. 27km, 4.5 hours, 10kg pack (weighted for training).

The spirit was alive in me. I love these days...View attachment 8627

mralisn (everytime I see your user name, I think it's a play on "Ms. Align"). Where was this hike? It's beautiful. Looks like VERY northern CA.

Hi Alyssa,

It seems you have been covering a bit of my wonderful state as well. Your walks look awesome. It seems we are very fortunate to have excellent training for the Caminos. The previous photo was of Bidwell Park. Happy to get to walk here several times a week with various routes, hours, difficulties.

You will be walking the Camino soon?

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Up and down the aisles of the supermarket.....stocking the pantry so I can go away for three months and not feel *too* bad about it! The lady behind me at the checkout said, "You won't need to shop again for a month." I hope it all lasts longer than that! 36 rolls of toilet paper, 20kg of flour, 5kg cheese - and there's silverbeet in the garden.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Alyssa,

It seems you have been covering a bit of my wonderful state as well. Your walks look awesome. It seems we are very fortunate to have excellent training for the Caminos. The previous photo was of Bidwell Park. Happy to get to walk here several times a week with various routes, hours, difficulties.

You will be walking the Camino soon?

Keep a smile,
Simeon
Yes, I'm truly grateful to live in California, which offers such amazing diversity in terms of terrain, climate, and natural beauty. I've heard wonderufl things about Bidwell Park but have yet to visit it myself (the last time I was in Chico was about 20 years ago to ride the Wildflower). Gosh, if you're in that neck of the woods, will you have (or have you had) the opportunity to see the wildflowers on Table Mountain outside of Oroville this year? (Although as dry and warm as it has been, the wildflowers have probably already passed.) Yes, I fly to Spain June 18 to begin my first Camino. And I see you are doing the Norte. Buen Camino. : ) Alyssa

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
View attachment 9247monday I climbed a local mountain that we call "Quigly". Kicked my behind! My little home town is in the pic:) Idaho is beautiful! After getting back to my car 2 hours later, I realized that I am not in good of shape as I thought! God be with me. Only 2.5 weeks til my journey!
Love your pic! I have wanted to go to Idaho for years (in particular, the Sawtooth Mountains). Your Camino is coming up quickly. Have a wonderful time!

Nice and sunny weather now, and some days ago I went about 10 km and had this beuatiful view!

Sorry, have to work out how to upload the picture...

Wow... I just love seeing all these photos and descriptions of where we all live. I see every photo and think... wow, I'd like to do that/go there :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks Alyssa! Yes Idaho is amazing! I often find solace and serenity here:) I too would like to visit all the other places posted on here! 13 days til Spain! Yay!

Thanks Alyssa! Yes Idaho is amazing! I often find solace and serenity here:) I too would like to visit all the other places posted on here! 13 days til Spain! Yay!
Woo hoo!

Another beautiful hike with my bestie: 6.13 miles (9.86 kilometers), 879 foot (268 meters) climb, 2.5 hours, geocaching.
Stairway to Heaven.jpg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walked today along the Vezeley Route today - it's a lovely day and a nice walk. I even saw my first pilgrims, but I was in the car and they were walking in the other direction. I've yet to meet anyone on the path. My husband drops me off and I call him when I've got about 2km to do and he comes and fetches me. Last time he joined me and he dropped me off... drove the car to a lunch spot and rode back to me on his bike... it works well and means we get to spend part of the time together. He gets time on his bike too... I'm not a keen cyclist so it works well.

I have to confess that I did strike a deal with him when I said I was walking the CF. I can walk the camino if next year we cycle from the Atlantic to the Med along the Canal de Midi... I agreed so I think I'm going to be on my bike for a few weeks next April! :D

sour2.jpg sour1.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Beautiful LesBrass!!
Sourzac is lovely... at the end of the road/bridge is a very nice restaurant ... and under the bridge is a very nice picnic table that we've used a few times too. It's taken me three days to get to Sourzac from home via the Vezeley but it's only a 15 minute drive... I was very happy to get passed here as it feels like I'm moving away from home. :)

Walked today along the Vezeley Route today - it's a lovely day and a nice walk. I even saw my first pilgrims, but I was in the car and they were walking in the other direction. I've yet to meet anyone on the path. My husband drops me off and I call him when I've got about 2km to do and he comes and fetches me. Last time he joined me and he dropped me off... drove the car to a lunch spot and rode back to me on his bike... it works well and means we get to spend part of the time together. He gets time on his bike too... I'm not a keen cyclist so it works well.

I have to confess that I did strike a deal with him when I said I was walking the CF. I can walk the camino if next year we cycle from the Atlantic to the Med along the Canal de Midi... I agreed so I think I'm going to be on my bike for a few weeks next April! :D
Wow, that's beautiful! Neat arrangement with your husband.

View attachment 9247monday I climbed a local mountain that we call "Quigly". Kicked my behind! My little home town is in the pic:) Idaho is beautiful! After getting back to my car 2 hours later, I realized that I am not in good of shape as I thought! God be with me. Only 2.5 weeks til my journey!
Kelly, I feel exactly the same in terms of my level of fitness. It all changed for me once I put on my pack and walked 10+ miles. Totally different than my daily hiking/walking routine.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have to confess that I did strike a deal with him when I said I was walking the CF. I can walk the camino if next year we cycle from the Atlantic to the Med along the Canal de Midi...

View attachment 10524 View attachment 10525

We walked it from the Med to Toulouse, and then joined the Arles. The canal is much more a bike path than a walking path - in fact I'd not recommend it for walking. But lovely to see it before all the glorious trees get cut down and we did stay in a few really lovely chambre d'hôtes along the way. My husband finds the locks fascinating.

Very excited to report that I walked 27km (16.8mi) yesterday (with a ton of elevation gain/loss; 1006 meters) and then 13.7km (8.5mi) today and wasn't unduly spent. Very grateful to live where the hiking is beautiful and to have people like you inspiring and motivating me! (And plenty of friends willing to do challenging hikes...)
big rock.jpg Super cool trees.jpg Coastal Trail.jpg

Last edited:
How much does yor pack weigh Alyssa?
I don't have a final weight yet Erin, as I have not yet decided on my sleep system. Last time I stuck it on a scale it was 15lbs (6.8kg) including 2 liters of water, which crazily enough weigh 2.2lbs each. (Considering half liter bottles instead since there will be places to refill along the way and they are so heavy.

A simple solution to your pack weight concern would be to take only a sleeping bag liner which should be sufficient for the time of year you are walking, carry the 1/2 litre bottle in your pocket or belt for convenience (granted it still weighs something) and carry an empty 1.5 litre bottle in your pack to refill for use only on those stretches where watering spots are few and far between.

I made a walk today with one of my first Camino friends I met on my first Camino. She lives two hours drive from here so we always meet halfway, practically the border Belgium/ Holland.
We walked in and around Maaseik, the birthplace of the famous medieval painters Van Eijck. The terrain is rather flat , small forests and meadows.

Attachments

• Markt.jpg
    Markt.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Wurfeld.jpg
    Wurfeld.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 22
  • maaseik.jpg
    maaseik.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A simple solution to your pack weight concern would be to take only a sleeping bag liner which should be sufficient for the time of year you are walking, carry the 1/2 litre bottle in your pocket or belt for convenience (granted it still weighs something) and carry an empty 1.5 litre bottle in your pack to refill for use only on those stretches where watering spots are few and far between.
Hey Don, Not sure if you were referring to my post or not. If so, sadly, having tested a gazillion sleep systems in the past 4 months, I have found that if the temp drops below 65F, I am not warm enough in a liner, even with all my clothes on and draped in my rain poncho. A couple of forum members have suggested because of that, I might be a "sleeping bag person", lol. I think they may be right. I am trying out my third sleeping bag tonight...

I don't have a final weight yet Erin, as I have not yet decided on my sleep system. Last time I stuck it on a scale it was 15lbs (6.8kg) including 2 liters of water, which crazily enough weigh 2.2lbs each. (Considering half liter bottles instead since there will be places to refill along the way and they are so heavy.
13 lbs with a litre of water is a good weight. After the first two weeks, you'll have your full walking legs and endurance and strength and you won't even notice a pound or three either way.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm not sure if my body is up for this but I walked from Arundy to Laruns yesterday(previous photo) and hopefully will walk to Gabas today, vertigo willing.

This was one of the better sections from today, where you went up to meet an old road. Most of the time you were going up and down, backwards and forwards on rocky trails with steep drops. It was only 14 km, started at 8.10am and arrived in Gabas at 3.30pm, did spend a lot of the time stopping to look at 1:25000 map or laid flat on my back 'resting'. But have to say that when you arrive it like all the tribulations of the day turn into golden hue in your recollection* and even start thinking what a great day and walk that was!

*Often assisted by a pint of Panache.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked to the Vezelay route :D I walked from home and over the coming 6 months I'm going to walk to SJPdeP in stages before I do the CF.

I walked 12.3km... no big hills so an easy walk... but I cant imagine having to walk another 8km before I could stop... I have a long way to go with my training!

Anyway - where did you walk today? You all live across the globe it would be great to see more photos of your local walks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
This picture is from the Tahoe Rim Trail looking south up above Lake Tahoe. It was the middle of a 30k day.

We walked from Parke to Lustleigh on tracks and side roads and with a few hills to stretch our legs a little - a 10km round trip. The old railway bridge (line disused since the 1950s) had a very interesting arch to take the angle of the track. The approach into the village was a little like coming into a camino village - with thatch. We sat on a seat by the church and ate our pasties. The cottage on the way out had a garden full of flowers. There will be some more photos later on the Walking Around blog.

Friday:- Given up, the photos still don't load properly in spite of re-editing them - so they are all going on the blog.

Between us we have loaded them now below - see TerryB and my post immediately below it

Attachments

• railway bridge.jpg
    railway bridge.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 9
  • Lustleigh.jpg
    Lustleigh.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I could call this post where did I taxi today. I was told by the priest in Arundy that there might be snow on both routes after Gabas, I thought he was being over cautious so I ignored him. On the route yesterday I had to get across on a couple of occassions streams coming down the slopes, after speaking to one of the people who were doing the Gr10 they said it was more like this further up and that the melting snow was making the rocks treacherous to get across. Even then I thought I be OK. Went to bed and woke up at 4.30, a goods night sleep had made me see that I was so determined to go over by Col des Moines that any evidence that it was not wise I was ignoring. So today at 9am I get a taxi to to Sallent de Gallegos and restart there.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
But after the taxi ride a series of man made lakes and peaks awaited me as I started following the Camino south.

1st menu del dia for a while and a poor vino tinto helped along by Gaseosa.

Viva Espana

Thanks Kanga, Was going to walk a bit more today(walked about 12km)but a 260 metre ascent at 8.9% over 2km(so the sign said) put paid to that so I am at a hotel/bar watching the news around the new king.

This morning I walked the West Dyke Trail in Steveston B.C. (Canada)

Attachments

• West Dyke Trail 2.jpg
    West Dyke Trail 2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 13
  • West Dyke Trail Lupins.jpg
    West Dyke Trail Lupins.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 10
  • West Dyke Trail.jpg
    West Dyke Trail.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 9
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
These photos are from our walk on Wednesday. Old Devon granite and thatch cottages and an arch carrying a now disused railway track over the (very) minor road. The old railway is being opened up as a cycling / walking route. It should be excellent when finished.

DSCF5220.JPG DSCF5224.JPG

These are the other two photos :)

Attachments

• Lustleigh 2.jpg
    Lustleigh 2.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 9
  • cottage.jpg
    cottage.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 9
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Had my usual 6k walk this morning then crossed the River Shannon on my little boat to Foynes on the other side and walked another 1k, had a cafe con leche and a scone, met some Americans who were touring Ireland after the D Day ceremonies in France, returned home and I am about to have another cafe con leche. Aaaaaah .............. the joys of retirement.

I walked to the polideportivo in sabiniago everywhere was full because of some bike race which is happening here , they said I couldn't stay but could have a shower. So after a very long and difficult day everything felt right again, had my hair cut, my girlfriend said in the photo I sent her I looked like a hippy, she liked it, don't want to spoil her so had it cut. Then decided that if everywhere was full the best place to try would be a hotel with a lot of stars, they would most likely get a cancellation. So here I am in pokey little room with a single bed that I decided i would pay it with my debit card and worry about it later

Hi,
If you have water proof boots you can walk in the snow. It'll be harder but IMHO that's a good thing. If you train hard then the real thing will be easy.

Did a very difficult 34 km hike today in the Wicklow mountains, for various reasons started just before 2 am so almost 3 hours in full darkness, my knees will be giving me a stern lecture tomorrow morning no doubt.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
Did a very difficult 34 km hike today in the Wicklow mountains, for various reasons started just before 2 am so almost 3 hours in full darkness, my knees will be giving me a stern lecture tomorrow morning no doubt.

I love the Wicklow mountains. Great that it is on our doorsteps too. I am planning St Kevin's Way in Glendalough next week btw.

Ft. Seward Wagon Train--Jamestown, North Dakota. (USA) I walked the entire 68 miles this year… Several people asked if I had "trained" for it. I guess I am training for something bigger; but at least hopefully I won't have to sleep in a tent in the mud when it rains! Great fun; this was my 6th year. (We dress in period clothes too!)_MG_9395.jpg

So many places I want to see. Not enough time. We were close to home this evening. Chee Dale. Balancing along the stepping stones.

cheedale_1.jpg

Just did the Spinc in Glendalough in Co. Wicklow this morning. You Irish lads will know where I'm talking about. (BTW lads in Ireland can mean girls too) Enjoying coffee and carrot cake now. I earned it!
Audrey

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've just discovered how to post a photo! See previous post.
This is Glendalough.

€149,-
This is a fabulous thread. Thanks for starting it, LesBrass. May I request that posters be a little more specific about the location of these place names? Many of them I know, many of them I can deduce. But 'Chee Dale' below had me stumped. Fortunately, thanks to the net, I now know - it's in Derbyshire. And for those who might not know where Derbyshire is, that's in the UK.:)
So many places I want to see. Not enough time. We were close to home this evening. Chee Dale. Balancing along the stepping stones.

cheedale_1.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have walked10K so far today, a loop on the RiverParks trail in Tulsa, OK USA ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405448270.380163.jpg

This afternoon I have another appointment allowing me to do another 10K. It is a beautiful 25 C on July 15, very unusual for Tulsa!

Buen Camino, 60 days to go!

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405448547.017365.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405448566.859449.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405448588.985758.jpg

Wow fraluchi, where is this?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello all,
No pics from me this time.
Just wanted to say "Looking at all these photographs reminds me of the beautiful world most of us live in".
Let's do what we can to keep it this way and whilst we do, help others less fortunate huh?
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Gee this is a great thread. Lovely photos folks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oceanside? As in SoCal? I am in Carlsbad and doing the Camino next year!!!! Lovely pic!
Yes, we're neighbors and thanks for liking my pic. I have to say we're getting a little nervous but it will all work out!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked home from work yesterday evening...just 7km, but weaving through a Greek community festival I came upon this fellow hanging out at the church of St. Francis! How appropriate! The caretaker told me his name is Ginger Joe.ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1408193437.546242.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1408193448.817534.jpg
It wasn't until after I left the kitty behind that I remembered that this is the 800th anniversary of St. Francis' own camino...how appropriate that I should run into his church as I prepare to walk the same route! One month until I arrive in St-Jean!

Thursday's training hike was a 14.4 km round trip for a jumbo ice tea plus a refill and the worst chocolate croissant ever at a Starbucks in the next town over. I was loaded with about 95% of my kit. Had one boot with a SuperFeet insole and one boot with a Dr Scholl gel insert. Couldn't tell the difference!

A nice 14km walk today in the Yorkshire Moors,reminded me of somewhere else? Followed it with a nice cool drink in the walker's hostelry the Lion pub.

Attachments

• DSC04033.JPG
    DSC04033.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
After Saturday's hike in the Tonlagee area of Wicklow, Sunday saw me cover another 20 kms on some very demanding terrain from Crone to Maulin, onto to the Tonduffs and back by War Hill and Djouce Mountain. Legs are demanding mercy but with only 11 days before departure on my 2nd visit this year to the camino, that's the hard work done and next weekend will see some hiking for pleasure rather than fitness.
https://www.facebook.com/supersullivan/posts/10202382527066787

Last edited:
These are the Enderby Cliffs....the interior of British Columbia, Canada....nice 16km hike....beautiful views....we do this about once a month....we continue on until we reach the tip that is visible (another 1.5k from where this picture was taken).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back