• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

24 Days on the Camino Portugues

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - 2009
Portuguese Interior (2014)
Hadrian's Wall (2017)
Porto to SdC ( Seaside) 2019
My situation is such that I now only have about 24 days in late August - early September to walk the Camino Portuguese. I want two days in Santiago and will likely only do 20 km or so for the first several days. I need at least one day to acclimate as I come from the USA. I defer to the experts to advise me on where to start?

And, the recommendation is????

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My situation is such that I now only have about 24 days in late August - early September to walk the Camino Portuguese. I want two days in Santiago and will likely only do 20 km or so for the first several days. I need at least one day to acclimate as I come from the USA. I defer to the experts to advise me on where to start?

And, the recommendation is????

Ponte de Lima!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ahhhhhhh, yes.... The two experts! Diogo and Albertinho. It seems you both are in agreement.

Thanks to both of you.:)

Ahhhhhhh, yes.... The two experts! Diogo and Albertinho. It seems you both are in agreement.

Thanks to both of you.:)
You are welcome !
:). Off course ! We are concerned about you with your jetlag starting in Ponte de Lima and climbing at the Alto do Portela, the worst part of the Portugese ! So keep a good sleep in when you arrive and a good rest before you start walking.
Wish you bom caminho and enjoy it.
Bedt regards Albertinho

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You are welcome !
:). Off course ! We are concerned about you with your jetlag starting in Ponte de Lima and climbing at the Alto do Portela, the worst part of the Portugese ! So keep a good sleep in when you arrive and a good rest before you start walking.
Wish you bom caminho and enjoy it.
Bedt regards Albertinho

Worst part!? That!? You so funny :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@flewitheagles , here it is my plan for this year:

- Day 1: arriving to Ponte de Lima;
- Day 2: Ponte de Lima to Rubiães;
- Day 3: Rubiães to Tui;
- Day 4: Tui to O Porriño;
- Day 5: O Porriño to Redondela;
- Day 6: Redondela to Pontevedra;
- Day 7: Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis;
- Day 8: Caldas de Reis to Padron;
- Day 9: Padron to Santiago:
-Day 10: comeback.

See, easy 10 days, and no more than 25k per day :)

That was our schedule too (almost.. We did one extra from Padrón to Teo a Casalonga and next day the final to Santiago, only 8 kms. Relaxed arriving early and in time to attend the 12h00 Pilgrims mass , see the Botafumeiro swinging, no queing at the Pilgrims office to obtain the Compostela and enjoy the rest of the day, sightseeing in Santiago ,drinking a cool beer and having a good time :)

Last edited:

Diogo / Albertinho,

I checked the map about the Ponte de Lima recommendation. It seems I'll have a few extra days (I'll have 25 days "in country" - Spain / Portugal) so I could start closer to Lisbon or on the Lisbon side of Oporto. Have you any recommendations since I have a total of over 20 days I can spend walking. I'll be able to some 30 km days fairly easily once I get walking. I guess I could do your recommendation and then Finisterra since I did not go there last time, but I still have an extra few days.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Diogo / Albertinho,

I checked the map about the Ponte de Lima recommendation. It seems I'll have a few extra days (I'll have 25 days "in country" - Spain / Portugal) so I could start closer to Lisbon or on the Lisbon side of Oporto. Have you any recommendations since I have a total of over 20 days I can spend walking. I'll be able to some 30 km days fairly easily once I get walking. I guess I could do your recommendation and then Finisterra since I did not go there last time, but I still have an extra few days.

Go to Finisterre and Muxia, you'll have your days occupied ;)

Diogo / Albertinho,

If so , I should suggest to start in Coimbra. Look at my travelblog if you like although in Dutch but you can follow the way back. http://nel-en-albert-op-pelgrimreis.reismee.nl and with google translate it will give you a clue. It is about 360 kms from Coimbra . We had restdays, coming from Lisbon in Coimbra, Porto, Barcelos-touristical detour to Braga -and an extra day in Santiago.
Mind that at the Lisbon to Porto leg the distances are longer to reach your next place to sleep .
But you are lucky.. Laurie Reynolds aka peregrina2000 has issued a document about this theme which you 'll find on this forum . Shortly there exists a network of albergues with picking up service to make the first leg more open to more pilgrims .Among others Laurie, Mario from theSantarem albergue , my good friend Diogo and I took part in the discussion to realize this document. So look for it and you'll get an excellent plan to walk through a beautifull area.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
To be very honest, on a perfect shape condition, none :)
But with a the jetlag you are not in a good shape my friend. Have you ever suffered a jetlag with a time difference of 6, 7 8 or 9 hours (do not know where Flewitheagles is coming from in the USA ? ) I allways liked traveling to f.ex.the USA,South America etc but coming back to Europe it costs me some time to recover.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
But with a the jetlag you are not in a good shape my friend. Have you ever suffered a jetlag with a time difference of 6, 7 8 or 9 hours (do not know where Flewitheagles is coming from in the USA ? ) I allways liked traveling to f.ex.the USA,South America etc but coming back to Europe it costs me some time to recover.

I've never walked with jetlag, but I've walked 18km without one hour of sleep in 28 hours, which is practically the same. It's a thing of psychology, how you prepare and train your body, and also hydration and eating.

Off course that 1 day it's one thing, 2 or more it's opening the gates of pain hell :eek:

Last edited:
I walked with jet lag in 2009 from StJP. It wasn't a fun time getting into StJP by train and starting out immediately. I'm going to be a bit more careful this time. Thanks for all the advice. (I'm coming from Kentucky - by way of (hopefully) some US Air Force free rides. They are fine, but never comfortable or easy! -- [they are, however, cheap!]

I walked with jet lag in 2009 from StJP. It wasn't a fun time getting into StJP by train and starting out immediately. I'm going to be a bit more careful this time. Thanks for all the advice. (I'm coming from Kentucky - by way of (hopefully) some US Air Force free rides. They are fine, but never comfortable or easy! -- [they are, however, cheap!]

Lucky you. If you stoped in Lisbon, I would have asked you a favour :p

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi flewitheagles -
Bill Bennett, an Australian film-maker (btw he's a Forum member - billbennettOz) arrived in Santiago on Easter Saturday with a small group that he led. If you check out pgstheway.com you can read all about their Camino Portuguese pilgrimage to Santiago. The blog is entertaining, insightful, and completely wonderful. His photography is knock-out gorgeous too.
Best of luck with your research and with your Camino Portuguese -
Cheers - Jenny

With thanks to all, I'm back on track (so to speak) with a Lisbon - SdC camino without a time limit! Thanks for all the advice. Diogo, I"ll see you in late August / early September I hope!

With thanks to all, I'm back on track (so to speak) with a Lisbon - SdC camino without a time limit! Thanks for all the advice. Diogo, I"ll see you in late August / early September I hope!

Ay ay, sir!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi! My son and I just did the Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago in 13 days. 24 would have allowed us 4 extra days to go to Finisterre. Here's our way:
Day 1: arrived from Toronto in Porto around noon and spent the day checking out Porto, bed about 8pm as we hadn't slept much on the plane
Day 2: Porto to Villa da Conde (coastal route for the day) we took the metro to matasinhos to avoid the suburbs
Day 3: villa da Conde to Rates- would suggest taking the central route instead of the coastal route to Rates
Day 4: Rates to Barcelos
Day 5: Barcelos to Vitorina de Paies- you MUST stay at casa Fernanda
Day 6: Vitorina de Paies to Ponte de Lima
Day7: Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes- tough day but only 16 kms
Day 8: Rubiaes to Valenca
Day 9: Valenca to Porrino
Day 10: Porrino to Redondela
Day 11: Redondela to Pontevedra
Day 12: Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis
Day 13: Caldas de Reis to Padron
Day 14: Padron to Santiago
Day 15: pilgrims mass, hang out in Santiago, back to Porto by train
day 16: hang out in Porto
day 17: fly back to Toronto

We would have loved 4 more days to walk to Finnisterre/Muxia, but my son is in high school and could only miss so much. We really took our time any enjoyed the journey. Our longest day was 24.9 kms on the last day.

Have A wonder trip and Bom Caminho!!

Hi! My son and I just did the Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago in 13 days. 24 would have allowed us 4 extra days to go to Finisterre. Here's our way:
Day 1: arrived from Toronto in Porto around noon and spent the day checking out Porto, bed about 8pm as we hadn't slept much on the plane
Day 2: Porto to Villa da Conde (coastal route for the day) we took the metro to matasinhos to avoid the suburbs
Day 3: villa da Conde to Rates- would suggest taking the central route instead of the coastal route to Rates
Day 4: Rates to Barcelos
Day 5: Barcelos to Vitorina de Paies- you MUST stay at casa Fernanda
Day 6: Vitorina de Paies to Ponte de Lima
Day7: Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes- tough day but only 16 kms
Day 8: Rubiaes to Valenca
Day 9: Valenca to Porrino
Day 10: Porrino to Redondela
Day 11: Redondela to Pontevedra
Day 12: Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis
Day 13: Caldas de Reis to Padron
Day 14: Padron to Santiago
Day 15: pilgrims mass, hang out in Santiago, back to Porto by train
day 16: hang out in Porto
day 17: fly back to Toronto

We would have loved 4 more days to walk to Finnisterre/Muxia, but my son is in high school and could only miss so much. We really took our time any enjoyed the journey. Our longest day was 24.9 kms on the last day.

Have A wonder trip and Bom Caminho!!
It looks if I wrote this my self :)
Did almost the same.
Thanks for sharing.

But this one is an Army guy!!! For those "in the know", I'm a Screaming Eagle devotee.... I just use the Air Force for taxi purposes.... ;-)
Hey Lead Wings:), if the fast transport falls out of the sky, can you fly;). If my ship sinks :( for what ever reason, I can swim. Besides ask any Marine dog robber and he will tell you that a flat bottomed slow moving ship is the way to travel:rolleyes:. When are you walking the Portuguese Caminho. I'm Walking it the first 3 weeks of Sept.:)

€83,-
Hey Lead Wings:), if the fast transport falls out of the sky, can you fly;). If my ship sinks :( for what ever reason, I can swim. Besides ask any Marine dog robber and he will tell you that a flat bottomed slow moving ship is the way to travel:rolleyes:. When are you walking the Portuguese Caminho. I'm Walking it the first 3 weeks of Sept.:)
UT,
(sorry, I've been out of town for a while)

Was thinking more like a rotary winger...... not so far to fall.;-)

Looks like the first part of September for me, too. A lot depends on the AF and their seats available... Will look to visit and swap lies!

Will keep you up to date.

FWE

FWE, my wife & I are leaving Lisbon on the 5th headed north to Santiago. We may just cross paths. I'll have to ask about Hopkinsville as my great, great-granddad was from there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
FWE, my wife & I are leaving Lisbon on the 5th headed north to Santiago. We may just cross paths. I'll have to ask about Hopkinsville as my great, great-granddad was from there.
Michael,
Our local Historian says there is always a Hopkinsville (Hoptown) connection. I look forward to our meeting; maybe we can find the Urban Trekker, too. That's about my timing, likely. I'm the white headed guy... Like an eagle! Oh, and I'm not a native; I'm a transplant.

May I hitch a ride on this thread to ask about times of year to walk Porto to Santiago along the coastal route?

I walked St. Jean to Santiago in February and March this year, in part because it was time available to me, and in part because I avoid trekking when temperatures are above 65F or so. I got used to the longer distances between (the fewer open) albergues and services. I don't mind rain and wind (made it from Sarria to Santiago on crutches after an injury), but would prefer to see the sea along the coastal route.

What are your thoughts about October or February or ...?

UT,
(sorry, I've been out of town for a while)

Was thinking more like a rotary winger...... not so far to fall.;-)

Looks like the first part of September for me, too. A lot depends on the AF and their seats available... Will look to visit and swap lies!

Will keep you up to date.

FWE
I have nothing but respect for those who can beat the air into submission. Got to Sub for some SAR Corpsman at MCAS El Toro back in 75. Worked it for 3 months. Got about 10 hours of stick time, a few auto-gyrotations, even a skid landing, and lots of flight time. All unofficial of course. Made the 3 years 6 months there worth while.

Have my ticket. Will arrive in Lisbon Sept 2nd and depart Lisbon Sept 24th. Look for 2 OGs having way too much fun. One with a black pack and one with a blue one. Both wearing old man hats (tilley).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
May I hitch a ride on this thread to ask about times of year to walk Porto to Santiago along the coastal route?

I walked St. Jean to Santiago in February and March this year, in part because it was time available to me, and in part because I avoid trekking when temperatures are above 65F or so. I got used to the longer distances between (the fewer open) albergues and services. I don't mind rain and wind (made it from Sarria to Santiago on crutches after an injury), but would prefer to see the sea along the coastal route.

What are your thoughts about October or February or ...?
Leaningforward,

I'm not much help on this one. I did the Frances in May/ June and have planned this one for Sep / Oct (retirement - this time I really will retire) and haven't considered other times. Sorry!
fwe

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back