• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting a Hotel in Santiago

godslamb

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2014)
With less than 2 months before I leave for my Camino, I am still trying to figure out what I need to do about staying Santiago. I have 7 days set aside for rest, sickness, injury, etc.; therefore, I don't know what I should do about booking a hotel since I am not sure exactly what day I will arrive. Should I just guess and book a place now OR should I just wait until I arrive at Santiago to get a place???

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have the hostelworld app loaded on my iphone (I'm just using the wifi capabilities while I'm traveling), this makes it pretty easy to find and book cheaper places to stay. I know that most pilgrim's hostels are one-night affairs, so I plan to use this app to find a place I can stay in for a couple/few nights depending on how I feel when I get there. If you're wanting something nicer, it won't probably work. But I'm pretty cheap :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are a number of good albergue style places not far from the Cathedral - wait until after you reach Astorga to confirm. However if you are going to be there around 25 July I would start checking from Leon. Ivar or Jonnywalker should have some up to date suggestions/recommendations. Buen Camino!

I booked when I was about 2-3 days out. I used the booking.com app on my phone, plenty of cheap hotels listed. I stayed in a couple of nice ones on Entramurallas, a little lane just north of Praza Galicia. The better of the two was A Nosa Casa.

Thanks everyone! This really helps. Now I can calm down about this and mark it off my to-do list.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I initially intended to stay in Pedrouzo (Arca) for one night before I walked to Santiago. Instead I missed the turn into Pedrouzo and walked further than initially planned and went on to Santiago that day, but did not arrive until about 5:00 pm. Since it was August you have longer daylight hours.

Since it was so late in the day I decided I would stay in the first place I could get a room. That first night I stayed in "A Casa Do Peregrino" which is literally on the path to the cathedral and about a 5 minute walk from it. It is a nice little hotel and not all that expensive. It was nice to have a private room and shower to clean up in and lots of places for meals nearby.

Since I stayed an extra night in Santiago my next and last night was spent at a private albergue, "El Ultimo Cello (The Last Stamp)" very close to the cathedral as well. Nice private albergue. Very clean and has lockable lockers next to the beds you can secure your stuff in while you explore Santiago.

Last edited by a moderator:
After six weeks on the trail I went for quasi-luxury. Hotel Bonaval is about at ten minute walk from the cathedral, quiet and as I recall about 75 Euros for a double on booking.com with breakfast that was more like lunch! And you could cancel up until 48 hours before with no penalty.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are a number of good albergue style places not far from the Cathedral - wait until after you reach Astorga to confirm. However if you are going to be there around 25 July I would start checking from Leon. Ivar or Jonnywalker should have some up to date suggestions/recommendations. Buen Camino!

If you are going to be there around 25 July, I would start checking now because I have found that some places are sold out already! Laurie

With less than 2 months before I leave for my Camino, I am still trying to figure out what I need to do about staying Santiago. I have 7 days set aside for rest, sickness, injury, etc.; therefore, I don't know what I should do about booking a hotel since I am not sure exactly what day I will arrive. Should I just guess and book a place now OR should I just wait until I arrive at Santiago to get a place???
An option could going to the turist info almost next door to the pilgrim office. They will find you a place to sleep for sure.they have their contacts. Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you want a hotel, you can probably wait til you have arrived or are near. For a pleasant small hotel, maybe it qualifies as 'boutique'??, I really like Pazos Alba on Calle Pombal--but there are plenty places to choose from. If you want to continue in the budget/albergue mode, I like the Albergue San Lázaro; it is on the way into the city, on the right after the first? roundabout when you've come down from Monte de Gozo and the wooden walk-bridge. The charge is 10eu for the first day, with two 7eu days possible thereafter. And the service is good--a well-provided kitchen and TV room, washing machine and three dorms, and good local information provided. There is a 1-eu bus (no.6) into/out of the city centre, and several good restaurants and a shop for food/fruit near San Lázaro. The bus to the airport also stops on the road beside the San ~Lázaro albergue.

Our plan is to wait until we are a couple days out and then book - using an app on the phone, as others have mentioned. I've done this with other trips where we haven't firmed up the itinerary ahead of time and it works fine. I imagine in a place like Santiago with lots of people always coming and going, it will work especially well. We *think* we know what day we will arrive in Santiago, but we don't want to commit too far ahead because you never know.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Booking ahead creates an agenda. Unless there is a major festival or holy day, finding a place should be fairly easy.

My wife and I stayed for a couple of days at the Rue Villar hotel in Santiago. It's literally right across the street from the Cathedral Pilgrim Office where you get the certificate. When I go back to Santiago, that's where I will stay again. Nice place and the people are wonderful.

If I may, I would like to put in a plug for Pension Fonseca. I don't know if it's possible to be closer to the cathedral, unless you plan to stay at the Parador. I stayed there a couple weeks ago and it was 20 euros a night. The beds are very comfortable and after 30+ days of bunk beds, having my own room was just like heaven. Bathrooms are shared, but that wasn't a big deal. And the woman who runs it is just about as sweet as a person can be.

The only downside is that there are no laundry facilities. But that would not stop me from staying there again!

http://www.pensionfonseca.com

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hello Here is another Hotel option for you in Santiago , Staff are very Pilgrim friendly and location is 5 mins walk from Cathedral, and in old part of Santiago

www.costavella.com
Email: hotelcostavella@costavella.com

My current favorites are the individual pilgrim albergue rooms offered at San Martin Pinario. Read what other pilgrims and I have written about them and other possibilities in this earlier Forum thread on lodging in Santiago.

MM

I am leaving this week but don't want to make reservations in Santiago. I agree that it creates an agenda. Also, I want to be free to stay with people that I have met or travel to the coast or Portugal afterwards. My only reservation is at the Madrid airport on the night before my return flight.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back