• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Folks Around There.

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
“Today I’d just like to get away and walk on our own”, she said, “to be off the Camino, away from the pilgrim hubbub. Just peace and quiet, and walking thru the countryside. Good idea?”

Now I’ve found that the best way to have an interesting life is not to plan too much, to wander through life, thereby allowing yourself the time to grasp opportunities as they unexpectedly present themselves.
Adventure. It’s an old fashioned word.
But it does gives great flavour and colour to life.
Sometimes it turns out to be not a lot of fun, but you have to balance this against the interesting people you meet, and the experiences you have.
And anyway, trouble itself is interesting, and always memorable.
That’s why I’ll agree to just about anything.

Not that this was anything extraordinary. Just a little different.
“Sounds like a plan,” I replied, “what do you have in mind?”
“Well,” she said, “We could take a bus out to one side of the Camino and get off at some bus stop from where we could walk back to the Camino. We’ll walk about the same distance as we usually do so it’s not like we’d be cheating or anything.”

We studied our maps, decided on a suitable route, then found our way to the nearest bus stop.
We had to lug our packs and walking poles and stuff up inside the bus, and it’s a bit of a performance holding everything together while digging out the fare, manoeuvring along the confines of a narrow aisle then getting sorted in your seat.
We descended from the bus at the appointed spot and set off.

We had a champion walk that day, along lonely country lanes that twisted gently up and down thru lush rolling farmland. Thru old heavy limbed forests, where the wind created a great symphony all around us as it gusted noisily thru the drying autumn leaves.
On our approach, farm dogs, unused here to strange wanderers, gave us a good woofing, sometimes following us up the road until they ensured we had permanently departed.
Country-folk waved and gave directions, thanks were proffered and best wishes exchanged.
Along the lonely lanes the lack of fellow pilgrims brought an unexpected melancholy air.
All in all a different and extremely pleasant days walking.

On arrival at our designated stop for the night we separated and did the usual end of day things.
We met again at the bar for pre-dinner drinks. I reached for my wallet to pay.
Not there. My zippered hidey-pocket empty.
Something grabbed my heart and squeezed.
I patted myself down. Nothing. Back to the dorm, emptied my pack for a thorough search. Still nothing.
My mind raced anxiously into the realm of the future, my brain delivering in a jumbled sequence, the series of problems that would now assail me.

On my return to the bar the expected question was asked.
“Where did you use it last?”
The albergue owner who had served our drinks listened attentively.
Thinking, thinking. “Buying the bus tickets,” I eventually replied. “Maybe I mislaid it whilst struggling with my gear up the aisle, getting organised in my seat.
“I know that bus line,“ said the albergue owner, “I’ll will telephone them and see if anyone has found it and handed it in. You must try not to worry.”
On his return he advised that the bus was now way down the line and parked up.
The driver had handed nothing in.
Well, that's that then.
“But they have asked the man on duty down there to give the bus a thorough search, then they’ll phone me back,” he said.
“Muchas gracias, thank you very much,” I replied.
He insisted on shouting the next round.
I felt a unnatural heavy calm slowly descend over me like a gentle flood.
Suddenly I wasn’t worried at all any more. Strange.

It wasn’t long before the albergue owner approached again.
“Good news!” he exclaimed, “it’s been found! On the floor of the bus. I have asked them to give it to the driver who is doing the return leg this evening. He’s about to leave. I know the stop where you were dropped off. I told them I would drive there to collect the wallet from him. I should be back about eight.”
Although I offered to accompany him, for whatever reason he went on his own.
But his return was an hour later than expected.
With a beaming smile, he handed me the wallet.
My thanks were delivered together with an enveloping bear hug.
“Sorry I’m late,“ he said, “but the bus never stopped, the driver forgot, went straight past, so I had to chase him 20ks down the road to his next stop.”
After checking the contents of the wallet I quietly offered him 30 Euros in way of thanks and compensation for his time and effort.
He initially refused, but upon being pressed, modestly accepted both my thanks and the money. The other staff gathered around to share in my relief and pleasure.
“Drinks all round,” I said.
I wasn’t sure whether 30 Euros was an acceptable amount for his efforts but I wasn’t very flush with readies anymore. I figured to start a party, use a card, liven things up a bit, get some money put into his cash register.
Being a ex-publican myself I can attest to the pleasure a fullish cash register brings.

The word went out. Pilgrims, staff, locals came to join in. We misbehaved until late.

“Wouldn’t happen anywhere else in Spain,” I was regularly informed by the locals as the evening progressed. “Not in Madrid or Barcelona. You would never have seen your wallet again. Good honest folk around here, helpful folk, kind folk. No place in Spain like this.”

I find I must readily agree with their comments.

Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nice contrast to the sad post about the Korean girls who had €1000 stolen in an albergue at Azofra.

Hi Gerald,

So many emotions.......and all in one day. I love "happy ending stories " thanks for sharing. Hope the rest of your walk goes well.
Buen Camino

Frances

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Gerard,
your playfulness and waywardness (a.k.a. "diversionary tactics"!) put me in mind of this poem.
Though it has to be said, to appreciate the poem fully, knowledge of the geography of Britain is needed!

The Rolling English Road
by G.K.Chesterton

Before the Roman came to Rye or out to Severn strode,
The rolling English drunkard made the rolling English road.
A reeling road, a rolling road, that rambles round the shire,
And after him the parson ran, the sexton and the squire;
A merry road, a mazy road, and such as we did tread
The night we went to Birmingham by way of Beachy Head.

I knew no harm of Bonaparte and plenty of the Squire,
And for to fight the Frenchman I did not much desire;
But I did bash their baggonets because they came arrayed
To straighten out the crooked road an English drunkard made,
Where you and I went down the lane with ale-mugs in our hands,
The night we went to Glastonbury by way of Goodwin Sands.

His sins they were forgiven him; or why do flowers run
Behind him; and the hedges all strengthening in the sun?
The wild thing went from left to right and knew not which was which,
But the wild rose was above him when they found him in the ditch.
God pardon us, nor harden us; we did not see so clear
The night we went to Bannockburn by way of Brighton Pier.

My friends, we will not go again or ape an ancient rage,
Or stretch the folly of our youth to be the shame of age,
But walk with clearer eyes and ears this path that wandereth,
And see undrugged in evening light the decent inn of death;
For there is good news yet to hear and fine things to be seen,
Before we go to Paradise by way of Kensal Green.

Fantastic story Gerard. This epitomises why rural Spain means so much to me, why I love it so much it almost hurts when I am not there.
Why do you think that is Allan?
I know from experience that country-folk are wonderful most everywhere in the world, but within the western world Spain seems to stand supreme.
I can only think that it is the overpowering historical presence of the Catholic religion, and that this has engendered such a strong moral code in Spanish people.
Regds
Gerard

Oh Thank Heaven! I was holding my breath and could feel the sense of “impending doom” when you realized your wallet was missing, followed by the tidal wave of relief that came next when the alberque owner shouted out the good news. Wonderful story, Gerardcarey. I”ll look for the next installment!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gerard,
your playfulness and waywardness (a.k.a. "diversionary tactics"!) put me in mind of this poem.
Though it has to be said, to appreciate the poem fully, knowledge of the geography of Britain is needed!

The Rolling English Road
by G.K.Chesterton

Before the Roman came to Rye or out to Severn strode,
The rolling English drunkard made the rolling English road.
A reeling road, a rolling road, that rambles round the shire,
And after him the parson ran, the sexton and the squire;
A merry road, a mazy road, and such as we did tread
The night we went to Birmingham by way of Beachy Head.

I knew no harm of Bonaparte and plenty of the Squire,
And for to fight the Frenchman I did not much desire;
But I did bash their baggonets because they came arrayed
To straighten out the crooked road an English drunkard made,
Where you and I went down the lane with ale-mugs in our hands,
The night we went to Glastonbury by way of Goodwin Sands.

His sins they were forgiven him; or why do flowers run
Behind him; and the hedges all strengthening in the sun?
The wild thing went from left to right and knew not which was which,
But the wild rose was above him when they found him in the ditch.
God pardon us, nor harden us; we did not see so clear
The night we went to Bannockburn by way of Brighton Pier.

My friends, we will not go again or ape an ancient rage,
Or stretch the folly of our youth to be the shame of age,
But walk with clearer eyes and ears this path that wandereth,
And see undrugged in evening light the decent inn of death;
For there is good news yet to hear and fine things to be seen,
Before we go to Paradise by way of Kensal Green.

I am not too familiar with ALL of the geography. As an American I have had the privilege of cycling through Cornwall and Devon while living in Cambridge. I had no particular destination on any given day and meandered all over the place appreciating the lack of a straight line between hither and yon. You'd understand that if you ever walk or pedal across our Midwest. But I digress. The little treasures are found without the plan because they are so unexpected. For example, the wet, smelly muddy dog that led me to a Holy Well in Cornwall in the rain. The meandering path that took me to Wicken Fen and Anglesey Abbey. So many miles to pedal and explore so little time.

obinjatoo,
The fun thing about Chesterton's routes (apart from the alliteration) is that they are most indirect from the first named place to the second...
....that is apart from the last line "Before we go to Paradise by way of Kensal Green"....
....for Kensal Green is a famous cemetery!....
....see: http://www.kensalgreencemetery.com/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Gerard,
The Rolling English Road
by G.K.Chesterton
That was great mate, thanks.
Regds
Gerard

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back