• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Croc shower sandals and other ways to cut weight

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Has anyone looked at Glagla's Typhoon? I just purchased a pair and they are lightweight, breathable and comfy and weigh 200g. I bought so many pairs and tried so many pairs of potential camp shoes that I think this will work for me. I'm a clutz and need toe protection yet don't like the bulkiest of my Crocs or lack of toe protection of my Tevas. Will use them as my camp shoes, going to and from the showers and use disposable non slip pedicure slippers in the shower. ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1398257288.708155.jpg

They seem exactly what I've been looking for. Don't seem to be available in Oz and the shipping costs are a killer for us. Pity.
Not sure if they're available in OZ, but Columbia (esp. their Drainmaker and Powervent) and Teva (esp. their Churn EVO and Refugio) also make similar. Hard to say if "is light" as the Pacific Trails simply because sizes must be known to be the same for any valid comparison.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife took some Crocs last year but I find them bulky to pack so I stuck with plain old flip flops. Both work fine. We live in Thailand where flip flops are what we wear 99% of the time so it was a no brainer for me. I think the pack weight issue is over blown. It's not a strenuous backpacking hike where you are already carrying food, water and tents, so don't obsess about something like a pair of Crocs.
I also live in Thailand, and will be walking in July this year, used to the heat so no problem for summer!

Hi Rambler. I've been hiking through all types of terrain in the same pair of Teva Hurricanes for 20 years. I LOVE them. My mom hikes everywhere in the Original Tevas, which you have pictured above. ~Alyssa
Alyssa:
Can you weigh those Hurricanes for us? The website says they weigh 10 oz. Which would make them a definite contender.
They won't let me in the REI with my food scale anymore....
;(
Rambler

Has anyone looked at Glagla's Typhoon? I just purchased a pair and they are lightweight, breathable and comfy and weigh 200g. I bought so many pairs and tried so many pairs of potential camp shoes that I think this will work for me. I'm a clutz and need toe protection yet don't like the bulkiest of my Crocs or lack of toe protection of my Tevas. Will use them as my camp shoes, going to and from the showers and use disposable non slip pedicure slippers in the shower. View attachment 9347

Hi, Cee, I couldn´t see that Glagla sells outside of Canada, but I may be wrong. The website says they weight 170 g, but I think that is per shoe, which would make it 340 g total or 11 oz. Definitely in my ballpark, but I´m leaning toward the brands with more arch support, which is not one of the things Glagla touts on its website. Do you have an opinion on Glagla and arch support? Thanks, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Alyssa:
Can you weigh those Hurricanes for us? The website says they weigh 10 oz. Which would make them a definite contender.
;(
Rambler

Just spoke with Teva customer service and the weight is per shoe. Women´s are listed as 8.5 oz each (17 oz or 480 g per pair) and men´s at 10 oz (20 oz or 560 g).

Laurie

Alyssa:
;(
Rambler
Lol, I haven't started carrying my postal scale to REI yet. That's a great idea ; )

Just spoke with Teva customer service and the weight is per shoe. Women´s are listed as 8.5 oz each (17 oz or 480 g per pair) and men´s at 10 oz (20 oz or 560 g).

Laurie
Laurie, thanks for checking. Definitely not the lightest footwear but I love hiking in them, particularly when it's warm or wet!

Well, I am back to the drawing board. I called Crocs back, because they did seem so light, and guess what -- the Baya slide weighs 304 g the pair. And the Modi slide weighs a whopping 400 g for the pair. So unlike what the first person told me, the Modi are even heavier than the Baya. I am probably going to call again for some confirmation since I got such radically different information.

I'm still considering the montrail lithia loop, at 274 g the pair (see lynnejohn's post #37 in this thread)

So, patgreen, you can start feeling smug again. :) Looks like I haven't found a really lightweight shower sandal yet.
Laurie,
Today I saw the "heuraches" (sp?) that Croc has. I didn't have a scale to weigh them but they seemed very light. Maybe ask about them?
Good Luck!
Stefania

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just as a side comment --- We've had a lot of discussion around footwear weight, but most are missing mention of size, and any statement of weight without size is misleading at best. For example, my size 10.5 Croc Classics weigh 396 grams combined; my son's size 17s are close to twice that. Using the weight of my son's Crocs (without mention that he is a Sasquatch) would actually lead people to think they aren't incredibly lightweight. Using my younger son's size 7s would skew the (mis)perception towards the "too light" end of the comparisons.

Walking into León on Saturday, I was getting tired and footsore and just fed up with walking. I changed into my crocs for the last 2 km, and was filled with energy. My feet were so light, the soles were nice and springy on the hard pavements, I was once again so happy I'd brought them.

YES, they're ugly. I really don't care.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just ran across these Cushe slippers at a local store here and decided to get these for my camino. They weigh the same as crocs, are VERY comfortable and come in 17 different styles, so you can be unique. According to my food scale at home the pair in size 10 US mens weighs 302 grams. You can also attach them to your outside pack through the logo with a carabiner.
Rambler
CSH-W-UM00708-071711
Rambler,

I remember looking at a pair of these last year. They were really comfortable. But, woudl they work for a shower shoe? Since they are canvas, wouldn't they take forever to dry?

Rambler,

I remember looking at a pair of these last year. They were really comfortable. But, woudl they work for a shower shoe? Since they are canvas, wouldn't they take forever to dry?
They likely would, but I am thinking now that I would not wear them in the shower. But I may try doing that and report back how long they take to dry.

Stay tuned...
Rambler

I have a pair of minimalist nike "trainer". A pair of"superlite" sandals and a pair of Crocs.....all weighed "exactly" the same?....there are trade offs, of course. I did find that I could only wear my orthotics (collapsed arch) in the Crocs.....then I tried a pair of New Balance (can't remember the number) they were in about 15 grams each of all the others. Large, comfortable toe box, inner sole is removeable so orthotics work well.
Excellent for the shower without orthotics (mesh upper dry quickly) but also give me reasonably light weight back-up walking shoe.

They are in my bag.......this is what works for me !

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum
Walkdontrun

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Cee, I couldn´t see that Glagla sells outside of Canada, but I may be wrong. The website says they weight 170 g, but I think that is per shoe, which would make it 340 g total or 11 oz. Definitely in my ballpark, but I´m leaning toward the brands with more arch support, which is not one of the things Glagla touts on its website. Do you have an opinion on Glagla and arch support? Thanks, Laurie

Hi Peregrina2000,

I wore the shoes in the shower this morning and here is one shoe on the scale, still wet and weighing in at 130/140 (weight of the tray); 280 g for both. Fairly certain that when they were measured dry, they were 100 each. Included are some pictures of the inside of the shoe as well as the insert. As for arch support, I'm a netural runner and generally like a little support in my running shoe but found these were comfortable just as. Since the insert is removable, if additional arch support was needed, I would think one could do it quite easily and comfortable.

From their website, it does appear to be only available in Canada but I would contact them and see if they would ship to you if interested. Good luck with finding something that makes you and your feet happy :)

Giving them the test this coming week and if possible will give feedback to you as to how they do!

Did a quick search and Amazon sells them....seems they sells everything these days.
Cee

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Hi Peregrina2000,

I wore the shoes in the shower this morning and here is one shoe on the scale, still wet and weighing in at 130/140 (weight of the tray); 280 g for both. Fairly certain that when they were measured dry, they were 100 each. Included are some pictures of the inside of the shoe as well as the insert. As for arch support, I'm a netural runner and generally like a little support in my running shoe but found these were comfortable just as. Since the insert is removable, if additional arch support was needed, I would think one could do it quite easily and comfortable.

From their website, it does appear to be only available in Canada but I would contact them and see if they would ship to you if interested. Good luck with finding something that makes you and your feet happy :)

Giving them the test this coming week and if possible will give feedback to you as to how they do!

Did a quick search and Amazon sells them....seems they sells everything these days.
Cee

I am starting to feel a bit like a total nut case, obsessing about a few grams here or there. That said, I do think that it is important to pay attention to the weight of your pack, something I have not done in a long long time. I can't get mine down to 5 or 6 k, but I am cutting out a fair amount of weight that I've been lugging around for years now. Those knees of mine aren't getting any older.

And thanks, Cee for the update! I wound up getting the ones Susanna found for me -- called Waldies, and they weigh 90 g each so I'm a happy camper. That takes 600 grams out of my pack because my chacos were 690 grams. Not trivial! Laurie

Ok, my pal and soon to be Camino walking partner just informed me that she is hoping to get her bag weight to around 3 kg. I have never worried too much about the weight of my pack, I think it's usually around 8-9 kg, which made Susanna gasp.

I know it's a good idea to lighten the load. So I am looking at my gear list and am going to try to shave off some weight. One thing is my chacos, which must weigh a pound each. Would a croc shower sandal be a good idea? Does anyone know what they weigh?

http://www.crocs.com/shower-sandals-and-slippers/shower-shoes,default,sc.html

I need to get some new hiking pants, too, and wonder what the lightest are. I usually bring a pair of zip-offs, but that's silly because I always walk in long pants, so I don't need the zippers. It's hard to find out what clothes weigh when you look online, so if you have some favorite light pants, let me know.

Thanks.

Check out railriders for lightweight pants and shirts

http://www.railriders.com/new-products-c-114.html

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pack weights of 2.7 and 3 kgs! OK OK, Packing lists please. I really am missing something here as I'm struggling to get below 8!

If you carry one change of walking clothes, a sleeping bag liner (not a sleeping bag) and no electronics, you can get to 3 kgs if you are watching every gram. For a July or August Camino, that is realistic. May not be comfortable for all though. Use the packing list spreadsheet Ivar has in the Resources section and you will begin to get a good sense of where the bulk of your weight comes from. Typically it is the pack itself and the sleeping bag as individual items.

Rambler

Hola Laurie. We have the Crocs Unisex classic clog which fit well and weigh 220 gms for the pair. Great for showers, and also for walking around sightseeing etc. Having zip offs means it is possible to remove wet or muddy bottom section without changing trousers so they remain our choice for very little weight difference.
We have also said that if facing water or mud over our boot tops we would unzip our trouser bottoms, remove our outer socks and walk through in the liner socks and Crocs.
My weight saving idea for this year was to remove the lining from my new waterproof trousers, and the ankle 'tags' Saved a few grams.
Thanks to you Tia, I took crocs with me on my last Camino. I will absolutely take them with me again. They were great for after Camino walking about town. They also saved me when my feet were so swollen I couldn't really wear my shoes for about a day or so. Fortunately it was fairly even terrain when this happened.

I actually met a Perigrina from Switzerland who was walking the entire way wearing them!! That I found hard to imagine, but to each his own!

They can even double as a carry space when you hang them from the back of your pack with carabiners (sic??)

So, Laurie...go for it!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yeah, I LOVE shopping in Santiago!
The prices are great!
I always buy a new outfit and shoes when I arrive.

That was my goal Annie...a new somewhat more girly outfit when I got into Santiago. I even made it into a store or two. But somehow, I just could not make myself care enough about "things" to actually buy anything. I was so happy with just what I had for so long that externals just did not matter anymore. I still think about a pair of earrings I saw though. So...maybe this year I'll buy 'em. Or maybe not!!

Pack weights of 2.7 and 3 kgs! OK OK, Packing lists please. I really am missing something here as I'm struggling to get below 8!

Well, Robo, I am a newcomer to this packing light phenomenon, so the experts will probably have better lists, but I am currently around 4.2 k for pack and fanny pack contents and my pack weighs about 1 k. This doesn´t include water or food, so I will be adding another 2 k probably. But I have been carrying much heavier packs for years, so I´m pretty excited about this. Here´s what I have so far:

Sleeping bag -- 850 g
Clothes and towel -- 950 g (includes one complete set of clothes, a fleece, my shower shoes, and an extra pair of socks)
Outerwear -- 540 g (includes ferrino trekker, wool gloves, sun hat, buff)
Toiletries -- about 350 g
Fanny pack (glasses, sunglasses, credit cards, coin purse, spork, etc) -- about 200g
Foot bag -- gauze, tape, anti-bacterial cream, small scissors -- about 200g
Electronics and gadgets -- 1.1 k (this is where I will be lightening the load in the future, but not this year, because it includes a gps and batteries (for our remote camino Olvidado and Valle del Silencio), small camera, camera battery charger, iphone and charger (to Skype with parents), Spanish cell phone and charger, electric coil, cup)

This is still a work in progress, because I have not really focused on the toiletries, foot bag, etc, but I think those totals are in the ball park, and maybe I can shave off some more weight there.

I know this makes me look like an electronics-obsessed pilgrim, which is kind of funny given my low tech life at home.
Buen camino, Laurie

Finally I found what I wanted! I am walking in my keens hiking shoes but wanted something for walking in the rain/shower/evening. I did not want take another pair of walking shoes plus flip flops. Finally, after looking through million stores and getting and shipping back 5 various pairs, I found the right ones! Pacific Trail Klamath water sandals! 153 grams each shoe! Can walk in them for a period of time, can take shower, walking in the rain, the are fast drying and feather light! Love them!
http://media.kohls.com.edgesuite.net/is/image/kohls/1762621?wid=400&hei=400&op_sharpen=1
crocs only weigh 116 grams each saving 74 grams, think about it. The grams add up.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, Robo, I am a newcomer to this packing light phenomenon, so the experts will probably have better lists, but I am currently around 4.2 k for pack and fanny pack contents and my pack weighs about 1 k. This doesn´t include water or food, so I will be adding another 2 k probably. But I have been carrying much heavier packs for years, so I´m pretty excited about this. Here´s what I have so far:

Sleeping bag -- 850 g
Clothes and towel -- 950 g (includes one complete set of clothes, a fleece, my shower shoes, and an extra pair of socks)
Outerwear -- 540 g (includes ferrino trekker, wool gloves, sun hat, buff)
Toiletries -- about 350 g
Fanny pack (glasses, sunglasses, credit cards, coin purse, spork, etc) -- about 200g
Foot bag -- gauze, tape, anti-bacterial cream, small scissors -- about 200g
Electronics and gadgets -- 1.1 k (this is where I will be lightening the load in the future, but not this year, because it includes a gps and batteries (for our remote camino Olvidado and Valle del Silencio), small camera, camera battery charger, iphone and charger (to Skype with parents), Spanish cell phone and charger, electric coil, cup)

This is still a work in progress, because I have not really focused on the toiletries, foot bag, etc, but I think those totals are in the ball park, and maybe I can shave off some more weight there.

I know this makes me look like an electronics-obsessed pilgrim, which is kind of funny given my low tech life at home.
Buen camino, Laurie
Your getting there, keep shaving off the grams, remember, BE RUTHLESS

The iphone with an app such as motion will let you skip the GPS unit.

Lots of how-to information here:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...the-camino-in-google-earth.12695/#post-204737
Hi, newfydog,
Yes, I considered that. But I got a LOT of advice from people on the Spanish forum and this forum that it was worth it to use a separate device. Though to tell you the truth, I don't even really remember why that was. o_O In any event, we've got the tracks all laid out and Susanna is busy working on more mountain detours as we speak. Thanks, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm including Trekking poles in my packing list. For those who use poles, do you count those in your pack weight?

Hi, newfydog,
Yes, I considered that. But I got a LOT of advice from people on the Spanish forum and this forum that it was worth it to use a separate device. Though to tell you the truth, I don't even really remember why that was. o_O In any event, we've got the tracks all laid out and Susanna is busy working on more mountain detours as we speak. Thanks, Laurie

If you record a track on an iPhone it will eat up the battery fairly fast. If you need to look at the track often, in the sun or the rain a GPS such as the Garmin Dakota is better. For many uses, the phone is better though.

I have a GPS mounted on the mountain bike. For the upcoming walking trip, it will be left behind and the iPhone will do the job just fine. I was able to load all sorts of custom tracks and maps into it.

If you record a track on an iPhone it will eat up the battery fairly fast. If you need to look at the track often, in the sun or the rain a GPS such as the Garmin Dakota is better. For many uses, the phone is better though.

I have a GPS mounted on the mountain bike. For the upcoming walking trip, it will be left behind and the iPhone will do the job just fine. I was able to load all sorts of custom tracks and maps into it.

I agree about GPS eating up the iPhone battery. I use it when we are walking off route; am conscious of only turning on GPS when needed. I have a charger extender thingy, but it rather destroys the "one device for everything" weight saving principle so leave it home. Looked at getting a Garmin but was put off by the price (the iPhone was expensive enough).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found the ipad mini on the other hand has tremendous battery power. The same track which knocked the iPhone down to 50% only used 10% of the mini's power.

I found the ipad mini on the other hand has tremendous battery power. The same track which knocked the iPhone down to 50% only used 10% of the mini's power.

Ah, that is interesting. Sir bought me an iPad mini for my last birthday. It would certainly be easier for reading maps.

I am starting to feel a bit like a total nut case, obsessing about a few grams here or there. That said, I do think that it is important to pay attention to the weight of your pack, something I have not done in a long long time. I can't get mine down to 5 or 6 k, but I am cutting out a fair amount of weight that I've been lugging around for years now. Those knees of mine aren't getting any older.

And thanks, Cee for the update! I wound up getting the ones Susanna found for me -- called Waldies, and they weigh 90 g each so I'm a happy camper. That takes 600 grams out of my pack because my chacos were 690 grams. Not trivial! Laurie
Glad you found something! And not to worry about being a nutcase. I purchased about 6 different pairs before deciding on my Glagla shoes. Every gram counts ;) Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've stopped buying hiking pants. I hike in shorts, in all but the coldest weather, and bring lightweight 'beach'-style pants for the evening (they're also good for hiking, even on the coldest day). Mine were a few quid from H&M. They ripped at the knee when I fell on some rocks, but as they were so cheap it didn't worry me - easily replaceable. A pair of merino leggings was also welcome, but they were probably a bit too see-through so next time it'll be running tights. One short-sleeve and one long-sleeve merino top, one merino camisole, a zip-up fleece and a rain cape saw me through a few weeks. A super-lightweight cotton nightshirt would be a sensible addition. For socks, I've always insisted on heavyweight hiking ones - but this year I used normal socks with ordinary nylon 'pop socks' as a liner underneath - brilliant! You just wash the nylon liner every night. On top of this you need only bring a spare set of underwear, gloves, buff, sleeping bag, pool slides, bar of soap, toothbrush and toothpaste, earplugs, sunscreen, phone and charger, money and documents and any prescription medication you need. All in ziplock bags, of course. You could carry all this in a 30L pack. Anything else you need, you can buy in the bigger towns along the way. Freedom!
My pack this year weighed about 6kg, but if I'd thrown out a few unneccessary items it could have been 4.5 or less

Newfy, Did you have just a wifi mini or a mini with 3g or 4g?

I agree about GPS eating up the iPhone battery. I use it when we are walking off route; am conscious of only turning on GPS when needed. I have a charger extender thingy, but it rather destroys the "one device for everything" weight saving principle so leave it home. Looked at getting a Garmin but was put off by the price (the iPhone was expensive enough).
Kanga, will I need maps or GPS on the Camino Frances? I was thinking it would be really well-marked...

An ipad without cellular capability has no GPS. They are unrelated, but come on the same chip in construction. You don't need a cellular signal or sim card to get GPS.

You don't need GPS on the Frances, but it is nice when you leave the route, or to record a digital diary of your trip

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kanga, will I need maps or GPS on the Camino Frances? I was thinking it would be really well-marked...

Definitely not necessary. Yellow arrows point the way very clearly. You will laugh at the thought you need anything.

I use the GPS when we are in France taking routes that are not marked.

Well, I am a very lucky peregrina, because Susanna has been on the lookout for me and has found some shower shoes that are 90 g each, and get good reviews. The only color available in my size was lavender, but I figure that will make me easy to recognize. 90 g each, if you can believe that!!!http://www.waldies.net/Waldies_Women_s_Shoes_s/21.htm

Hi Laurie, I'm curious what secondary pair of footwear you decided on and how did they work out for you? Thanks.

I ended up sending my Tevas on to Santiago from Viana (the post office has a special pilgrim's rate, boxes, and they will hold items in Santiago for 30 days now; I think I payed 8 Euros for a medium box including shipping and storage) and purchasing knock off croc at a "China" store there in Viana. Wish I'd done it sooner.ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406653581.225023.jpg

Hi Laurie, I'm curious what secondary pair of footwear you decided on and how did they work out for you? Thanks.

Hi Sheesh

Well, I did get a pair of those ultra-light Waldies, but the day before I left on my Camino, I had a flash and realized I could never walk around town in the afternoons/evenings with them on my feet. So I took them out of my pack and stuck my heavy clunky but very comfortable Chacos back in, and wound up walking with a pack that weighed about the same as always.

I've decided that for me, the weight just isn't that big of an issue. I am not sure what my pack weighed, but it must have been in the 8-9 k range. I'm sure I could walk faster with a lighter pack, but that's not important to me. I have lower back issues, but my 12 year old dearly beloved Mountainsmith ghost pack does a great job of getting all the weight on my hips, so I'm fine.

I like the idea of a light pack, but it just never seems to work out that way for me! Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie. I love my heavy walking sandals too so I totally understand. I'm not going back to the Camino for a year or two, so I have a time to investigate alternatives. Who knows, some amazing new product line may become available in the intervening time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok, my pal and soon to be Camino walking partner just informed me that she is hoping to get her bag weight to around 3 kg. I have never worried too much about the weight of my pack, I think it's usually around 8-9 kg, which made Susanna gasp.

I know it's a good idea to lighten the load. So I am looking at my gear list and am going to try to shave off some weight. One thing is my chacos, which must weigh a pound each. Would a croc shower sandal be a good idea? Does anyone know what they weigh?

I need to get some new hiking pants, too, and wonder what the lightest are. I usually bring a pair of zip-offs, but that's silly because I always walk in long pants, so I don't need the zippers. It's hard to find out what clothes weigh when you look online, so if you have some favorite light pants, let me know.

Thanks.

I totally agree on the Chacos! I was SHOCKED at how much those things weighed! Both Robert and I bought them for the trail UNTIL we realized those suckers weigh 1 pound/shoe so 2 pounds for the pair!!! Outrageous - and out of the pack they went!! I think they would be fine if one were using them for hiking but not for shower shoes and after hours. I'm taking sandals from Columbia. Lightweight and uber comfy.

With regards to favorite hiking pants, my favorites are from Columbia and are called the Just Right Pant. I think they are women's only but there might be a similar version in men's clothing. VERY lightweight, but comfy in all temperatures and they can go from soaking wet to totally dry on your body in a matter of minutes. I highly recommend them.

http://www.columbia.com/Women's-Just-Right™-Straight-Leg-Pant-–-Extended-Size/AW8141,default,pd.html

They are cheaper in the outlet stores than online but they are totally fabulous pants. If you're traveling elsewhere, one can add a nice top and heels and go out to dinner in them. I've worn them in the North & South Rims of the Grand Canyon and I've worn the same pants with another top and high heels to dinner at a very nice restaurant in Flagstaff AZ and other places. So GREAT pants!! Slight stretch, one pocket on the pant leg (hold money, room key or something small) I love, love, love them.

I have an inexpensive pair of slip on sandles made exclusively of a light foam rubber. This post brings to mind an incident that happened to a friend of mine when we were walking CF in Sept 2012. He had a pair of flip-flops and as he was coming out of the shower in the buff, he slipped with his flip-flops and slid into another pilgrim entering the shower and they embraced. I called it a European greeting! Lol

Thanks.
Hello Laurie,

160 grams each for Crocs
280 grams for rain pants Millet

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Laurie,

160 grams each for Crocs
280 grams for rain pants Millet
Crocs are a good choice. Took one pair with me on two camino's .
For underneath the shower and going out for diner .
The only thing is after a while the soles are wearing out underneath -very slippery- very dangerous because of aqua planing.
So bought myself an new imitation pair in a Chinese shop in Spain for 5€

Many people consider wearing Crocs an absolute fashion faux pas. However, we are talking about the Camino here. It is not a fashion parade or runway show. The "best" solution is the one that works the best for YOU.

Crocs remain one of the best solutions for providing the lowest overall weight, being waterproof, and providing adequate cushioning when walking on cobblestones. They are, no doubt, not the only solution, but they are much better IMHO for your feet than wearing any kind of flip flops.

I have a pair of the double-sole, traditional styled Crocs in what I call Wasabi Green...they ARE bright. The outer sole is more dense that the original, gardening & showering Crocs, and provides additional cushioning for me. I am not petite.

This year, I started my Camino with a pair of simple, light shower slides I bought at St. Jean. However, one of Rebekah's six dogs thought one of them made an exquisite chew toy. So, I treated myself to the Crocs and mailed the shower slides down the road from Leon. The Crocs are far more comfortable, but , I still have the shower slides and use them daily. They are among my most cherished Camino memories. Next time, I will bring an assortment of proper chew toys for her dogs...

One of the reasons flip-flops are not good is that any abrasion between toes can quickly harbor a fungus or bacterial infection. Of course, it is possible to get foot crud anyway. But why invite trouble?

Once I arrived at Santiago at the end of May this year, I worked as a volunteer AMIGO at the pilgrim office for the first two weeks of June. On dry days I wore my Decathlon sandals (sent ahead with other stuff from St Jean Pied de Port). On wet days, more than half the total, I wore the "Wasabi Green" crocs with two pair of socks, as though I was walking. Even when standing for hours in the pouring rain with the other pilgrims in the queue, my feet were very comfortable. Plus, the Crocs had superior ventilation and everything dried fast.

I hope this helps.

one option for pants that I have heard about are getting surgeon's "scrubs". I hear they are light, can be gotten in 100% synthetic and easily washed. I take REI zip offs on the Camino and love them. I also plan to take Crocs or Patagonia Advocate sandals. At 119 grams, they are as light as crocs, but probably not as good in the shower.
Rambler
78533_158.fpx
Nooooooo...... your feet will sweat and slip in these, just as they do in the neoprene Crocs. But htere are many other Crocs models around that are not Neoprene. And what about the new EVA Birkies?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The new Crocs Meleen is brilliantly multi purpose. Excellent for walking around as well as showers. The Cleo too. Swear by this stuff.

Thanks.
Arcteryx "Rampart" hiking pants are ultra-light, wrinkle free. Pricey, but worth it.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.