• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

14 days which route for a beginner

katja mezgec

Time of past OR future Camino
plans in august
Hello, Im planning a walk in august. My destination is Santiago, planned for two weeks. Can you reccomend me, which route is best for this time. Im in relatively good shape, 48 years old. Thank you :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for your suggestion. Is it true, that it is difficult to get a place in albergo, because of the too many ppl asking to stay overnight.
I heard that people start their walk at 4 am just to get a place in alberge at the end of this day.
How is that in august?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I did the Camino I arrived in Leon on August 8th and from there arrived in Santiago on August 20th.
Yes, in August, which is one of the busier months on the Camino, the albergues fill up fast, but I always found a place to stay. Twice I did have to get private rooms at pension house/hotels because there were no more available beds in the albergues.
Some people do leave very early. I never left before 6:00 am. I did not want to be in a rush and wanted to stay relaxed on my Camino.

yes probably the heat is one of the issues in august :) so it is another reason to get up early or should i say earliesh, but i dont want to live in a fear that i wouldnt get the bed.

also i'm interested, how are the other routes, maybe camino portugues or the spanish way - part of villa de la plata in august?

Hello, Katja. Another option would be to walk the Camino Primativo from Oviedo. It also can be walked in two weeks. Most people walk the Camino Frances for their first camino, though. The walk from Leon, as some have suggested, has many lovely parts, especially what you would experience in the first week, I think. You will have a wonderful time, whatever you decide.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would agree that Leon-Santiago is a great two week option. It is also easy to get to Leon via plane, train, or bus.
That was our first Camino.
Rambler

Hello, Im planning a walk in august. My destination is Santiago, planned for two weeks. Can you reccomend me, which route is best for this time. Im in relatively good shape, 48 years old. Thank you :)
Hi,
Two years ago my wife and I started in Moissac, France and walked as far as Eze. It is a beautiful part of the Camino with the food and accommodation being the best I've enjoyed of all my trips there. It took us about two weeks.
Good luck

You can walk the Portuguese, either from Ponte de Lima or Tui. Whatever you choose, you will still have some "security" days if something happens, or some day off's :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I started in Astorga (has Gaudi castle) & walked 14 days to Santiago. My goal was to go about 20 kms/day & that worked perfectly.

I would second dustylee's recommendation of starting in Astorga. The more leisurely pace of 20km per day from there to Santiago allows you to more easily acclimate to the routine in the first 3 or 4 days, plus it allows you to complete your walk earlier in the day, beating the late afternoon rush of arrivals at the albergues. If you find that's too slow for you, you can always speed up and get to Santiago a day or two early and relax there before your return home.
Buen Camino,
Jim

I would suggest Leon. Just because it is a great city. Or if this puts to much stress on your planning, then Astorga as starting option nr 2. Also very nice.

The Via de la Plata in August? I haven't walked it, so cant tell you much about it, but what i can tell you is that that part of Spain in august can get very VERY hot. Not sure if thats nice walking.
I walked the Frances in Sept and this was also very hot now and then, especially on the meseta, without any shade.

I think the heat is one of the reasons why people leave early. Others to race from bed to bed, which is kind off sad. I started early 'cause all the noise woke me up. Then i cant sleep anymore and might as well get up and start walking.
If it were up to me, i would start at 9 am at the earliest hahah, but thats never gonna happen unless you have your own room in a hotel, casa rural ect...not in an albergue

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for your suggestion. Is it true, that it is difficult to get a place in albergo, because of the too many ppl asking to stay overnight.
I heard that people start their walk at 4 am just to get a place in alberge at the end of this day.
How is that in august?
I heard that it gets really crowded the closer you get to Santiago. One Aussie guy's who walked the whole camino had to sleep several times on the floor of an albergue, or keep walking to the next town. So yes, you need to start early to get a bed. And bring earplugs!

You won't be a beginner for 14 days. After 6 you'll be an expert!

I heard that it gets really crowded the closer you get to Santiago. One Aussie guy's who walked the whole camino had to sleep several times on the floor of an albergue, or keep walking to the next town. So yes, you need to start early to get a bed. And bring earplugs!

I walked sept last year and kind of get what people mean with the crowds the last 100km, but i did not experience it as too busy or awfull or anything like that. I did not (if i could help it) get up at the crack of dawn to get a bed. I never had trouble finding a bed, nor did the people around me. We never had to sleep on the floor.

Im not saying its impossible, but i think its more an exception then a rule.

My perspective is different. The Camino is a journey, not a destination.
I'd start at SJPDP or Le Puy and walk for two weeks. Come back another time and pick up where you left off. This is what many Europeans do. It means focusing on the journey, throwing away the obsession with a "goal". And no worries about crowds as you get closer to Santiago.

You could walk the Camino Ingles to Santiago in 5 or 6 days and continue to Fistera and Muxia in another 5 days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back