• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question: Cercedilla - Sport Hall?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Somewhere - and this morning I'm unorganized and can't figure out where - I read that there is a Sports Hall where pilgrims can sleep in Cercadilla.

Did I dream that?
Has anyone stayed there?

Also, those of you who have walked the Camino Madrid, do you think I should concern myself about booking a bed in Cercedilla at the youth hostel (if there is no sports hall) or do you think it might not be difficult on a Wednesday night? The hostel would not book beds ahead of time for pilgrims.

My alternative is to stay in the Aribel Loginos hotel, but I'm trying to avoid hotels when possible.

Thanks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Somewhere - and this morning I'm unorganized and can't figure out where - I read that there is a Sports Hall where pilgrims can sleep in Cercadilla.

Did I dream that?
Has anyone stayed there?

Also, those of you who have walked the Camino Madrid, do you think I should concern myself about booking a bed in Cercadilla at the youth hostel (if there is no sports hall) or do you think it might not be difficult on a Wednesday night? The hostel would not book beds ahead of time for pilgrims.

My alternative is to stay in the Aribel Loginos hotel, but I'm trying to avoid hotels when possible.

Thanks.

Hi, Annie,
No, you didn't dream it, I saw that too. But the youth hostel is a nice place to be, it's the Villa Castora that takes pilgrims. I think you once posted something about it being as expensive as the Aribel Loginos, but that can't be right. Maybe you were looking at the price for dinner along with bed and breakfast.

My experience was in early June, during the week. There were several big school groups there, but my impression was then that they save a few rooms over on a separate wing just for pilgrims. I think you could probably call the hostel on the morning of the day you walk into Cercedilla and see what they say, though all we did was walk up there and wait for them to open for us. I can't imagine you'd have problems finding a room there in either the Aribel or in the other place -- did you contact that casa rural that's close to the pension?

Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks Laurie. I'll keep looking, but this page says the hostel is €21,38 per person.

https://www.hihostels.com/hostels/cercedilla-villa-castora

I can't find anything that says otherwise, and when I contacted the youth hostel, they told me they would not take reservations for pilgrims.

I can stay at the Hostel Longrinos for 30 euros for a double.
My decision now is whether to keep this booking or take a chance the hostel will be any less.

I stayed at the Aribel Longinos last December, I think I paid €30, as the youth hostel appeared to be closed then. It's very handy for a good breakfast at the train station and right on the path up to Fuenfría. But if you can find anywhere else to stay in Cercedilla, then I'd stay there.

The view down onto Segovia and the wide meseta from Fuenfría is mind-blowing - I may be wrong, but I think Fuenfría might be the highest point on any official camino in Spain: it's higher than the Col de Somport, Padornelo, the cruz de Ferro and the Col Lepoeder.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The view down onto Segovia and the wide meseta from Fuenfría is mind-blowing - I may be wrong, but I think Fuenfría might be the highest point on any official camino in Spain: it's higher than the Col de Somport, Padornelo, the cruz de Ferro and the Col Lepoeder.[/quote]

To someone with Anorak tendencies that is a challenge! but before I decided on going further south I was looking at the Camino Complutense which starts at Alcala de Henares and joins the Madrid route at Segovia it has a high point of 2038 just after Rescafria, dont know if its official but its on Peter Robins site and thats good as.

I just received confirmation from the Friends of the Camino in Madrid that the sports hall in Cercedilla IS available for pilgrims this year.
So if you're on a budget, this is good information.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stayed there last year, and plan for this year as well. However I recall, you cannot put down until 2100 hrs.
But the town is full of adventures.

I just received confirmation from the Friends of the Camino in Madrid that the sports hall in Cercedilla IS available for pilgrims this year.
So if you're on a budget, this is good information.

Thanks, Annie,

Really nice to hear that.
I have this info about Cercedilla accommodation:
R (Polideportivo, 918/523592)
A (72pl, Albergue Juvenil »Villa Castora«, 918/520334 or 918/522411 or 918/521267, Carretera de las Dehesas s/n, alb.juv.villacastora@madrid.org, 3km out of town)

Ultreia!

Does anyone know anything about Manzanares albergue???
Last it was that it is closed (due to some quarrels between parish and municipal authorities).

K1

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will be on the Madrid, starting May 7th, and will call in at the priest's house as I pass through Manzanares, on the off chance that the ermita may be open, or at least get a sello from him and some up to date info (if he's in the mind, that is - he can be a rather difficult person to deal with, as I recall). I stayed at there in 2011, lovely place, great shame it's not available to pilgrims anymore. (my avatar pic taken there)

Last edited:
I will be on the Madrid, starting May 7th, and will call in at the priest's house as I pass through Manzanares, on the off chance that the ermita may be open, or at least get a sello from him and some up to date info (if he's in the mind, that is - he can be a rather difficult person to deal with, as I recall). I stayed at there in 2011, lovely place, great shame it's not available to pilgrims anymore. (my avatar pic taken there)
Hi, travellingman,
Maybe you can work your charm on him. He was a bit persnickety as I recall as well. And I don't think he's usually there till some time in the mid-afteroon.

I agree that that ermita is one of the real gems -- I remember the view of the mountains all around, wow. I have probably already mentioned this, but there may be some kind of legal process opened, since the church apparently accepted a lot of public money for the renovation of the albergue, which means they may not be able to use it exclusively for church purposes. I'm sure there is a great backstory here but in the meantime, pilgrims don't get to enjoy it.

It was certainly closed last December - there was a note pasted to a sign on the edge of the town. A pity, but it would make for a bit of a short day on to Cercedilla.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This would be of interest to me also. I have stayed there in 2012 also but 2013 the awnser was NO very clear. Sello was given. And a chance to meet up with some "friends of Bill W" ;)

When I passed cercedilla last september the sport hall was closed due to a festival. You can't miss this place, it is right on the route.
There is plenty of other places to stay in Cercedilla along the route. We stayed in hostal maya, right in the centre, I liked it. I think we payed about 35 for a double room.
http://www.hostallamaya.es/

When I passed cercedilla last september the sport hall was closed due to a festival. You can't miss this place, it is right on the route.
There is plenty of other places to stay in Cercedilla along the route. We stayed in hostal maya, right in the centre, I liked it. I think we payed about 35 for a double room.
http://www.hostallamaya.es/

Thanks! We will shoot for the sport hall. If it's closed, it's good to know there are other options.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Does anyone know anything about Manzanares albergue???
Last it was that it is closed (due to some quarrels between parish and municipal authorities).

K1
Hi,
Just left Manzanares and the alberque is not available. I was very lucky and found a place for 15 euros at C/ Alamos, 22. The lady at the Tourist Office will give directions.

Whilst on the subject I stayed at Av. de la Libertad, 5 in. Colemenar Viejo. Nice for 20 Euros single, 30 Euros double. Again people at the TO very helpful.
Regards,
Arthur Loughran

Thank you very much @ajloughran !!!

I have a lot of time to decide whether to sleep outside (what Annie regrets ;)) or take this 15€ offer. A lot will depend on weather that particular day.
Also the info for Colmenar Viejo is appreciated although I plan to walk from Madrid center to Tres Cantos the first day. I'm sure someone else will take that room.
Hope to hear some more from you.

May you have nice walk!

Hi @Anniesantiago :)

I've been reading in your blog about new albergue in Nava de la Asuncion. Is that brand new municipal albergue (and where is it if that's so?) or Albergue juvenil "Villa de Nava"? For later I have info about 7€ per night for peregrinos, but only 8 beds for them.

Thanks for taking time to write your blog. And a lot of chuckles for those eggs in microwave :D

Thank you very much @ajloughran !!!
... I plan to walk from Madrid center to Tres Cantos the first day. ...
There are beds available in the ayuntamiento basement. It was closed when I arrived and I was not in the mood for ringing around. tel:912 938 000, mailto:caminodesantiago@tres-cantos.org
I spent the night at the VP Jardín Hotel (not cheap but nice) and the receptionist there did offer to call the ayuntamiento office for me and check if there were beds available. Just across the road from the hotel in the Parque Central there is a nice outdoor cafe, else across from the church on Av. De Viñuales there are a few plazas set back amongst the buildings with good cafes.
The walk to Tres Cantos is steep and slippery in places, I was very glad I had my walking poles. Keep an ear out for recreational cyclists as it is used as a bit of a speedway track and in places there is no visibilty or place to get out of the way.

There are beds available in the ayuntamiento basement. It was closed when I arrived and I was not in the mood for ringing around. tel:912 938 000, mailto:caminodesantiago@tres-cantos.org
I spent the night at the VP Jardín Hotel (not cheap but nice) and the receptionist there did offer to call the ayuntamiento office for me and check if there were beds available. Just across the road from the hotel in the Parque Central there is a nice outdoor cafe, else across from the church on Av. De Viñuales there are a few plazas set back amongst the buildings with good cafes.
The walk to Tres Cantos is steep and slippery in places, I was very glad I had my walking poles. Keep an ear out for recreational cyclists as it is used as a bit of a speedway track and in places there is no visibilty or place to get out of the way.

Thanks, AfriCat!

Will be careful if wet weather but hope for sun and warm ;)
I'll start from Madrid on Friday, so that's why I intend to call ayuntamiento in Tres Cantos the day before to make sure about availability of accommodation on their premises.
Are you on CdM right now?

Ultreia!

When I say slippery, I mean in the dry - it is mostly very loose dust/sand which has been badly rutted by rain and bikes, so very easy to slip on. The weather has been beautiful for walking - cool mornings and mid 20s by midday. I am currently in Segovia - was only intending a one day rest here but love it so much I have stayed for 5!
I have been doing a bit of a 'scenic' pilgrimage - walked Cádiz to Sevilla, Zafra to Càceres, Madrid to Segovia so far, with bus/train between. On Monday I head to Salamanca by bus to walk to Zamora, then bussing over to Oporto to walk the coastal route to Santiago from there.
Good luck with your journey. ¡Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
:D Well, that is a Camino in a very special way for sure.

Enjoy!

There are beds available in the ayuntamiento basement. It was closed when I arrived.
As far as I noticed last year september, this place is open all day and evening. Probably you need to find the right entrance?
The building is like half round. On the left there is the public entrance. If you walk more to the right (near the letters 'con') there is another entrance more hidden for the people who work there. All day and evening, there is security sitting at a desk, you can see them from the outside. At some moments you need to wait while they walk around? I think I left at 7 on a saturdaymorning, they were there.
Ayuntamiento, Tres Cantos.jpg

:D Well, that is a Camino in a very special way for sure.

Enjoy!
Having arrived in Zamora I caught the train to Ourense, as I would be missing walking through. Lovely town, I have spent 2 nights - don't miss the luxury of relaxing in the thermal baths, free public one in the middle of the town if you don't mind gawkers, otherwise free and/or private ones along river.
Tomorrow I am getting the train to Vigo, where I will be walking the coastal route 'backwards' to Porto, to meet up with a friend. after that, back to Vigo for the last 100km into Santiago.
Very special way, for sure - I've had a wonderful time so far and don't expect anything to change!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.