• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Camino Francés weather in late May & June, plus more ?s

Bozzie

Continuing to walk my camino daily. Blessings!
Time of past OR future Camino
2012/2016
Hello to all pilgrims!
I am walking the Camino Francés in late May through June, 2012. I am wondering what the temperatures are like during that time, if I'll need a sleeping bag or only a liner. Also, should I expect a lot of rain during that time? I appreciate any suggestions on what to wear during this time.
Gracias!
Bozzie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bozzie, I first walked the Camino in mid-May to Mid-June in 2002. We had 5 days of rain at the beginning, broiling sunshine for the next 5 days, nearly froze to death over the next 5 days, 5 more days of cold and rain in the mountains and then cool, drizzly weather in Galicia.

This year I walked again from the end of May. We had one day of rain. Warmish weather in the beginning, cold weather in the high places (Astorga to Villafranca) and warm weather again at the end. Pilgrims who walked a week behind us experienced a heatwave with temps in the upper 30s and even 40oC.

It is almost impossible to predict the weather at any time of the year. I saw a report the other day that roses are blooming in Sweden, strawberries are being harvested and meteorologists say that Sweden hasn’t seen this little snow in hundred years!

Be prepared for all weathers and dress in layers.

Very true Sillydoll, Christmas is approaching and in Sweden we still see flowers in the gardens, and also the ocasionally strawberry. As for the Camino, you can be freezing during August as well, depending on exactly where you are, when you get those heay rains and winds ....be prepared!
Josefine

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This year in Lugo, the Galician area where rain is most likely, in June there were 5 days with rain. In 2010, there were 9 days with rain. In 2009, there were 15 days of rain. It can rain a lot; it can rain very little.

The low temperature was in the fifties, but higher elevations can be expected to get down to freezing. Since albergues are heated, either by a heating system or the 100 other pilgrims, I have used just a sleeping bag liner with great success. On the few cold nights, the albergue had blankets. A sleeping bag would be necessary only if you tend to be cold and like to be warm at night. Of course, only you know that!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
sillydoll said:
Bozzie, I first walked the Camino in mid-May to Mid-June in 2002. We had 5 days of rain at the beginning, broiling sunshine for the next 5 days, nearly froze to death over the next 5 days, 5 more days of cold and rain in the mountains and then cool, drizzly weather in Galicia.

This year I walked again from the end of May. We had one day of rain. Warmish weather in the beginning, cold weather in the high places (Astorga to Villafranca) and warm weather again at the end. Pilgrims who walked a week behind us experienced a heatwave with temps in the upper 30s and even 40oC.

It is almost impossible to predict the weather at any time of the year. I saw a report the other day that roses are blooming in Sweden, strawberries are being harvested and meteorologists say that Sweden hasn’t seen this little snow in hundred years!

Be prepared for all weathers and dress in layers.

Thanks for the input. I will dress accordingly and hope for the best!

falcon269 said:
This year in Lugo, the Galician area where rain is most likely, in June there were 5 days with rain. In 2010, there were 9 days with rain. In 2009, there were 15 days of rain. It can rain a lot; it can rain very little.

The low temperature was in the fifties, but higher elevations can be expected to get down to freezing. Since albergues are heated, either by a heating system or the 100 other pilgrims, I have used just a sleeping bag liner with great success. On the few cold nights, the albergue had blankets. A sleeping bag would be necessary only if you tend to be cold and like to be warm at night. Of course, only you know that!

Thanks...appreciate the info. Looks like it will be an interesting time to travel! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
falcon269 said:

Maybe I will take a light-weight sleeping bag, just in case. Thx!

I am leaving at the end of May 2012 and expect to be walking into July. All this info was of great help as I begin to buy gear. I can hardly wait!!! - M :arrow:
http://monica-pipedreams.blogspot.com/

just in case
I understand what you are saying, but generally do not take anything "just in case." Except a minimal first aid kit, of course. Spain is not a remote wilderness, so you can get anything that you might have forgotten, or discover that you need. You can sleep in layers of clothing if the need arises, and avoid carrying a one pound sleeping bag for a month for the unlikely event of "just in case." I am pretty warm-blooded and found that even the sleeping bag liner was too warm for many places in June!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This thread has been a great help. We (girlfriend and I) have decided to use a "thermal" sleeping bag liner (traps the heat a little more) and stack on some thermal underwear for the cold nights. I did this trip in May 2012 with a duck down sleeping bag, only because it was new and I wanted to get my money's worth. I tend to agree with falcon269. This sleeping bag became most of my weight in my back pack while many many others used the light sleeping bag liners.

I did see blankets in some places.

Back