• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

first time pilgrim, solo traveler in late June/early July 2014

Arrim

Time of past OR future Camino
First timer
Hello!

I have done quite a bit of digging on this very useful forum and have found many useful answers to my questions. That being said, I know the question I am asking, or at least a similar one, has probably been asked before, so I am sorry if I am being repetitive.

I am hoping to walk a Camino for 12- 14 days in late June/early July. I am female, in my late twenties, and am in pretty good shape, and am very much looking forward to walking alone.
I'd say three of my primary goals when walking are:
(1) to meet/get to know other pilgrims
(2) explore the Spanish countryside, eat Spanish food, and meet and talk to locals
(3) have time for thinking on my own.

I've done a lot of reading about the Camino Frances and the Camino Del Norte. My worries about the Camino Del Norte is that there won't be many other pilgrims on the road and if there are, not many will speak any English. I speak some Spanish, but not enough to have a deep, philosophical conversation. I am attracted to the Camino Del Norte route (perhaps starting in Santander) because I hear the weather will be cooler and I'd love to explore the coast. I have a hard time with very hot temperatures. I have also heard the Camino del Norte has less variation in environment and the road can be unpleasant at times.

I know the Camino Frances at that time will be packed with people. What does this look like, exactly? Is it difficult to get alone time? Does it take away from the pilgrimage? Is there a 12-14 day section that is recommended for that time of year? Given my priorities, which do people suggest? I'd love to hear any and all advice! Thank you so much.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello!

I have done quite a bit of digging on this very useful forum and have found many useful answers to my questions. That being said, I know the question I am asking, or at least a similar one, has probably been asked before, so I am sorry if I am being repetitive.

I am hoping to walk a Camino for 12- 14 days in late June/early July. I am female, in my late twenties, and am in pretty good shape, and am very much looking forward to walking alone.
(2) explore the Spanish countryside, eat Spanish food, and meet and talk to locals

I've done a lot of reading about the Camino Frances and the Camino Del Norte. My worries about the Camino Del Norte is that there won't be many other pilgrims on the road and if there are, not many will speak any English. I speak some Spanish, but not enough to have a deep, philosophical conversation. I am attracted to the Camino Del Norte route (perhaps starting in Santander) because I hear the weather will be cooler and I'd love to explore the coast. I have a hard time with very hot temperatures. I have also heard the Camino del Norte has less variation in environment and the road can be unpleasant at times.

I know the Camino Frances at that time will be packed with people. What does this look like, exactly? Is it difficult to get alone time? Does it take away from the pilgrimage? Is there a 12-14 day section that is recommended for that time of year? Given my priorities, which do people suggest? I'd love to hear any and all advice! Thank you so much.
Hi Arrim. I can't answer your questions since I will do my first Camino this summer but just wanted to say, if you decide to do the Frances, we may run in to one another since I will be walking from mid-June until the end of July. Welcome! ~Alyssa

Hello!

Hi, Arrim,
I haven't walked the Camino Frances for years now, but even though there will be crowds, if it were me, I'd start in either St. Jean or Roncesvalles and then go on the Camino Frances for as long as possible. This part of the Camino is quite pretty, through Navarra, and I don't think you can go wrong. More than that, it will tell you whether you want to come back or not, at which point you can decide whether to continue on to Santiago from where you left off. I think you can escape the "masses" and find lots of alone time if you want it.

The Norte will have PLENTY of pilgrims in June/July. There are people there now from the forum who have found company. I walked the Norte in May about 8 years ago and there were lots of pilgrims even then.

If you start in Santander, be prepared for about 4 days walking on nothing but asphalt. And no walking along the ocean till you get pretty close to San Vicente. Santander is a beautiful city, though.

Tough decision, but no wrong answer. Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Arrim, welcome ! Last sept/oct on Frances it was quite busy especially the first days from SJPDP and the last 100k from Sarria, i found the Meseta to be the quietest and some of most beautiful parts of the camino and then meet up with pilgrims in the evenings at the albergues. I would go back toFrances but this year im going to the Norte late May and June, im sure ther will be people there whom i can connect with. My main concern at this time is maybe not much albergue accomodation, some only open july/aug. You willhave a great experience whichever route you choose, have time alone and meet othet intetesting people, i wish you all the best. Buen Camino
Aidan

If you walk the Norte you will definetly meet all three of your criteria, and if you start in Irun, rather than Santander, there will be lovely scenery and less alsphalt walking. The sea winds will keep you cooler if you don't like the heat. There will be plenty of other pilgrims to enjoy company with and certainly enough of them will speak English. Meeting locals is easy, you will be amongst Spaniards everywhere you stop for a coffee or to check out the local villages. Because the Norte is less crowded than the Frances, there are lots of people willing to talk and spend time with foriegn pilgrims.

I'm not sure where the suggestion that the Norte has less variation in environment comes from, I found it very varied, sometimes on long beaches, others through woods, mountains, valleys, small towns, cities, along ridges, etc. One of the pleasures of this camino was how varied each day was, and how I never knew what was coming next. Sometimes on coming to the top of a hill, there would be a fabulous panorama of hills and mountains in front of us, and we had no idea of which route through them the camino would take. One of the pilgrims I met and walked with was from Ireland and had walked the Frances and other routes several times, I always remember his comment "this has been the best camino ever".

Like yourself, I wasn't sure which route to take as my first camino, but I was drawn to the Norte, and I had a fantatastic time walking it. It wouldn't surprise me that if you start somewhere near Santander and walk for twelve to fourteen days, it won't be long before you are planning to come back and walk the next stage.

Feel free to contact me if you want any specific advice on the norte. Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Arrim:

I've been doing the Camino Frances in two week segments. First year SJPP to Logrono. Second year Logrono to Leon. This year, God willing, I finish. So far, I enjoyed the scenery between SJPP to about Burgos the most. Personally, I found the meseta a long slog. But, without a doubt, there is something for everyone on the Camino. You simply cannot go wrong.

I (46y), my daughter (16y) will walk C Frances from June 23 with start from Pamplona. The first week, my ant (?mothers sister 58y) will walk with us!
I hope You will have a wonderful camino no matter which you choose!

Most read last week in this forum

Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.