• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Designing the Perfect Camino Pack

Rambler

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2008 Camino Frances with Daughter, 2014 Camino Frances with Son
So we have discussed which packs are popular...
But now let me ask everyone here, if you were to design the perfect pack for the Camino, what would it look like? Think about aspects like weight, features, pockets, accessories, etc.
I realize that no one pack is perfect for every person nor every Camino. Season, size and gender of the pilgrim, physical condition, route and distance planned, all go into making a perfect pack.
But just blue sky with me and think about what you would want.
Who knows, maybe one of the manufacturers will read this and build it for us!!!

LOL
Rambler

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
He He... warning radar, that's good.

I want a pack that is:
  • about a Kilo,
  • has an easy to reach place for my 1L water bottle,
  • a protected pocket for my camera that is quick to remove for a great picture, but still protects it from bumps and wet weather,
  • a place to store my Altus that allows me to put it on and off without having to take off the pack,
  • a way to easily connect socks and shorts for drying on the back,
  • a pocket that will hold the Brierley guide or an Ipad in case that is also easily accessible without taking the pack off
  • a money belt that can be easily removed and taken with you when needed, but won't get all sweaty under a shirt
  • an Iphone pocket on the shoulder strap that will also hold a granola bar or two and your sunglasses
Rambler

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And a ventilation back system and a large stretch pocket at the front to just stick the spare layer when you don't need it anymore. And somewhere nice and flat to sew on the forum patch :D

How about a pack that emits a warning whenever some of those obnoxious, annoying bicyclists come tearing past you at dangerous speeds....:D
As long as it breaks into song when a nice one rolls along!

Back to the actual topic, my Zpack has carbon fiber stays just 3 1/2 inches too long to be airline carry-on legal. There ought to be a way to make it fit the regulations. Hmmm....they do slide out.....

For me, something like the Swedish LK35 Rucksack, either the normal version, or the airforce one. But make that frame less heavy, and change the canvas for some ripstop material, and I think that's it :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Since we are on the subject of back-packs.....I plan on doing the Camino again this summer. Maybe starting in May. I have been looking at backpacks. I found one that looks good and would suit my needs. It made by REI (Cresttrail 48). Anybody had any experience with this brand or model? Negative? Positive?

440.jpg

The perfect pack?
Totally waterproof, vented back system, about 35litre capacity,full length vertical zip to main compartment for easy access, good hip belt with zipped pockets for phone etc,2 big mesh side pockets for water bottles,and, most important - weighs nothing....:)

Since we are on the subject of back-packs.....I plan on doing the Camino again this summer. Maybe starting in May. I have been looking at backpacks. I found one that looks good and would suit my needs. It made by REI (Cresttrail 48). Anybody had any experience with this brand or model? Negative? Positive?

View attachment 9326
Mark:
I carry a 2007 REI UL 45L pack on the Camino and love it. I have owned several REI internals and would highly recommend them. Your Cresttrail is a pretty big pack. I carry the UL45 because I am longwaisted, but it is much bigger than I need. It only weighs 1.1 kg, so I can get away with it, but yours will be much heavier. Is there a reason other than the Camino that you need that size?

Have you looked at the REI Flash? It is a lighter pack with a similar capacity. You will really need about a 35L pack for the Camino.

I hope that helps.
Rambler

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think the perfect Camino pack has already been invented -- Hyperlite Mountain Gear Windrider 2400 http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/review/product/list/id/29/category/6/?limit=20. Mine was delivered to my door three days ago, and I had one trial run with it filled with gear for a Camino. It's made of cuben fiber, so it is very lightweight (799 grams) but also very comfortable (two aluminum stays provide just the right support). Every aspect of this pack is well thought out. The straps are just what is needed to compress the bag so it moves with the body, not too much, not too little. The capacity is 40 liters, including the three mesh shovel pockets on the outside. There is an internal sleeve to hold a water bladder. The top of the bag rolls down to compact the load if you are carrying less than 40 liters. This roll down system makes access to pack contents very quick and easy. The cuben fiber is light and waterproof, so no pack cover is necessary. I was hiking with it in Hawaii under very hot, humid conditions, and my back did not overheat. If you are carrying a water bottle, it fits in an outer mesh pocket and can be reached without taking off the pack. The waist belt is the perfect weight and strength -- very comfortable. pockets on the belt are waterproof and can carry cellphone, small camera, sunscreen, sunglasses, etc.. Basically I've fallen in love with this pack. On the Camino I'll have to take it with me into the shower, so I don't have to go into grief counseling if somebody decides they like it better than me!

Back to the actual topic, my Zpack has carbon fiber stays just 3 1/2 inches too long to be airline carry-on legal. There ought to be a way to make it fit the regulations. Hmmm....they do slide out.....

The Zpack appears to me to be a very fine pack. It was a finalist for pack of my dreams, and I almost bought one. I would go ahead and carry it on a plane, even if it's slightly too long with the carbon fiber stays. The worst that can happen is they'll make you check it in, and I don't think that is very likely. You're a lucky owner of a great pack!

Mark:
I carry a 2007 REI UL 45L pack on the Camino and love it. I have owned several REI internals and would highly recommend them. Your Cresttrail is a pretty big pack. I carry the UL45 because I am longwaisted, but it is much bigger than I need. It only weighs 1.1 kg, so I can get away with it, but yours will be much heavier. Is there a reason other than the Camino that you need that size?

Have you looked at the REI Flash? It is a lighter pack with a similar capacity. You will really need about a 35L pack for the Camino.

I hope that helps.
Rambler

The pack looks simple and good and I figure it will be good for hikes here in the US in the future. No way will it be filled to capacity when I do the Camino again, and that's including stuff I will pack for travelling beyond the Camino (I like to combine trips). Also I don't want to have several packs. I'm pretty minimal when it comes to owning gear.
And it's on sale at REI, ha ha....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
He He... warning radar, that's good.

I want a pack that is:
  • about a Kilo,
  • has an easy to reach place for my 1L water bottle,
  • a protected pocket for my camera that is quick to remove for a great picture, but still protects it from bumps and wet weather,
  • a place to store my Altus that allows me to put it on and off without having to take off the pack,
  • a way to easily connect socks and shorts for drying on the back,
  • a pocket that will hold the Brierley guide or an Ipad in case that is also easily accessible without taking the pack off
  • a money belt that can be easily removed and taken with you when needed, but won't get all sweaty under a shirt
  • an Iphone pocket on the shoulder strap that will also hold a granola bar or two and your sunglasses
Rambler

No sweat, I already have all of those, with combination of 2-3 items on me. I'm sureb there isn't a company in the world that would make such a "backpack" unless you pay them to be done as a unique item ;)

But altogether it's a nice try...

Tploomis, I'm curious as to why you decided on the Windrider over the Arc Blast.

In my mind both packs are exceptional packs and excellent choices for the Camino. I ultimately chose the Windrider 2400 because it had slightly smaller volume and looked like it was compressible enough to do double duty as a day pack, while the Arc Blast looks a little wider in its design and with a little more length built into the basic pack. The Arc Blast has a number of interesting add on options. However, the belt on the Arc Blast does not appear to have storage pockets, a feature I like. The carbon fiber stays on the Arc Blast are probably stronger and lighter than the aluminum stays on the Windrider 2400. I think I would prefer the internal frame features of the Windrider 2400 over the external frame features of the Arc Blast if I were going through thicker brush. Of course that is not an issue on the Camino. Finally, the Windrider 2400 resembles a large marshmallow to my eye, and that appeals to the part of me that enjoys laughing at myself.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Arc Blast by z pack fits many of the criteria. It is now seam sealed waterproof, no cover needed. it is astonishingly light, at 500 -700 grams. It can be set up with all sorts of pockets, including a big front counterweight style pouch. It compresses to a small pack nicely. I'll review it in detail after my wife and I finish the Stevenson trail with ours.

They are made one at a time, waiting list now is six weeks.

Last edited:
Might be the economy, but I notice more and more Military Surplus packs being carried by backpackers in the Americas. Especially European Military packs made with some Leather. Big advantage of those packs is low price.... and no zippers as 100% of zippers will fail and young backpackers can not afford to keep replacing zippers. Believe that for most young backpackers cost is what counts , not weight or bells and whistles.

And it's on sale at REI, ha ha....

Well, why didn't you say that in the first place!! It looks perfect!!!!
LOL
;)
I think you will be happy with it and if not, REI's return policy is very liberal.

Rambler

I think the perfect Camino pack has already been invented -- Hyperlite Mountain Gear Windrider 2400 http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/review/product/list/id/29/category/6/?limit=20. Mine was delivered to my door three days ago, and I had one trial run with it filled with gear for a Camino. It's made of cuben fiber, so it is very lightweight (799 grams) but also very comfortable (two aluminum stays provide just the right support). Every aspect of this pack is well thought out. The straps are just what is needed to compress the bag so it moves with the body, not too much, not too little. The capacity is 40 liters, including the three mesh shovel pockets on the outside. There is an internal sleeve to hold a water bladder. The top of the bag rolls down to compact the load if you are carrying less than 40 liters. This roll down system makes access to pack contents very quick and easy. The cuben fiber is light and waterproof, so no pack cover is necessary. I was hiking with it in Hawaii under very hot, humid conditions, and my back did not overheat. If you are carrying a water bottle, it fits in an outer mesh pocket and can be reached without taking off the pack. The waist belt is the perfect weight and strength -- very comfortable. pockets on the belt are waterproof and can carry cellphone, small camera, sunscreen, sunglasses, etc.. Basically I've fallen in love with this pack. On the Camino I'll have to take it with me into the shower, so I don't have to go into grief counseling if somebody decides they like it better than me!

I wanted one of those, but the price, ohhhh the price :(

Might be the economy, but I notice more and more Military Surplus packs being carried by backpackers in the Americas. Especially European Military packs made with some Leather. Big advantage of those packs is low price.... and no zippers as 100% of zippers will fail and young backpackers can not afford to keep replacing zippers. Believe that for most young backpackers cost is what counts , not weight or bells and whistles.

I'm a young backpacker, and I agree somehow with your opinion Xin Loi. Although I look to the majority of what the backpack brings (I can say that I'm a tech freak when it comes about gear), price it's a concern. Mostly because my income it's one of the lowest in Europe, so I'll have to do some gymnastics with my money, when it comes to buy gear, either for the Camino, or any other outdoor activity.

Also, the range of products that we have here in Portugal is nothing compared with the one that our neighbors from Spain have.

Don't get me wrong, surplus packs are great. For example, the Swedish LK35 and the M39, are great packs, although I prefer the LK35 (specially the air force version) to the M39, mostly because of the frame system. They are very sturdy, usually made with canvas or cordura, and with some waterproof material coating the inside, and the load that they can carry it's very good for a Camino. If they are heavy? Heck yeah, sometimes they are (the LK35 weights an extra 1,1kg, compared with my Quechua Forclaz 40), but for the price, they offer some better quality, than some backpacks that you can find out there for more money (NorthFace for example, that a lot of people seem to have problems with).

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

The folks at Zpacks will cut your frame down to whatever size you want. I found that the stock frame height was unnecessarily high so I had them cut mine down to 21 3/4 inches and my wife's down to 20 inches. No charge for the modifications. I paid shipping to them and they paid the shipping back to me. Very good people to work with. They both fit and carry well with the modified frames, and they slip under the airline limit of 22 inches for carry ons. I also will report more on the arc blast after Le Puy to Santiago. Leaving tomorrow for Le Puy.

John

The REI Flash 45 is just over half the weight of the Cresttrail (and $40 less); take a look at it. I just bought one for my next Camino, and, in training, it seems like it will work well and is plenty big enough. Saving almost two pounds could make huge difference.

Karl

The folks at Zpacks will cut your frame down to whatever size you want. Leaving tomorrow for Le Puy.

John

They really seem to be a good group, who walk the walk. Have a good trip, give my best to the Bete of the Gevaudan, and have an Armagnac for me!

The REI Flash 45 is just over half the weight of the Cresttrail (and $40 less); take a look at it. I just bought one for my next Camino, and, in training, it seems like it will work well and is plenty big enough. Saving almost two pounds could make huge difference.

Karl

That's a nice looking pack and only about $20.00 more than the Cresttrail 48 I was looking at that is on sale (I think it is their discontinued one) and weighs about a pound less. My only hurdle is the color of that Flash 45....kind of a lime green. I prefer a more subdued color, ha ha.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That's a nice looking pack and only about $20.00 more than the Cresttrail 48 I was looking at that is on sale (I think it is their discontinued one) and weighs about a pound less. My only hurdle is the color of that Flash 45....kind of a lime green. I prefer a more subdued color, ha ha.
C'mon Mark!!
That color if Gator Green!
You're Cajun.... You should kneaux that!!!
:D
Rambler

C'mon Mark!!
That color if Gator Green!
You're Cajun.... You should kneaux that!!!
:D
Rambler

Ha ha. Yeah, true dat.
On the bright side (pun intended), I would not have to worry about somebody taking it. It's too conspicuous, ha ha.

My only hurdle is the color of that Flash 45....kind of a lime green. I prefer a more subdued color, ha ha.
I worried a bit about the color, but you can't see it when it is on your back, so I went ahead and bought it. My wife, who can see it when we walk, hasn't objected, yet.

Karl

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I worried a bit about the color, but you can't see it when it is on your back, so I went ahead and bought it. My wife, who can see it when we walk, hasn't objected, yet.

Karl

Ha ha...ok.
Is the pack really that green, or is it just the way it looks in the web photos? A lot of times when one orders stuff online, the colors are different than what they advertise.

Ha ha...ok.
Is the pack really that green, or is it just the way it looks in the web photos? A lot of times when one orders stuff online, the colors are different than what they advertise.
It's really that green.

Karl

Man, That Hyperlite Windrider looks awesome... just about the perfect pack for me! If I were to be abel to swing that, the weight savings alone would probably make my DSLR be weight neutral! I think my current pack is 50oz (so a little over 3 pounds).. not too bad/super comfortable. But to get a pack under one kilo... thatd be great.

If I were to be able to swing that, the weight savings alone would probably make my DSLR be weight neutral!
jrm:
Is that like drinking a diet soda with a slice of cake? weight neutral?
LOL
;D
Rambler

If I worried about the color of my backpack, I wouldn't use mine, since it’s a green lettuce one :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
But now let me ask everyone here, if you were to design the perfect pack for the Camino, what would it look like? Think about aspects like weight, features, pockets, accessories, etc.
I realize that no one pack is perfect for every person nor every Camino. Season, size and gender of the pilgrim, physical condition, route and distance planned, all go into making a perfect pack.

LOL
Rambler
My osprey 35 litre pack has almost everything that has been suggested. Sorry no warning signal for cyclists. Adjustable torso, mesh back, padded straps, adjustable waist strap with pockets for phone, camera, granola bar. Interior pocket for water bladder, top pocket accessible when walking and so on and so on. And it only weighs around 4 pounds! It sounds like I work for the company....I really don't just a person who has had back and knee surgery.

My osprey 35 litre pack has almost everything that has been suggested. Sorry no warning signal for cyclists. Adjustable torso, mesh back, padded straps, adjustable waist strap with pockets for phone, camera, granola bar. Interior pocket for water bladder, top pocket accessible when walking and so on and so on. And it only weighs around 4 pounds! It sounds like I work for the company....I really don't just a person who has had back and knee surgery.
Hi, sounds good. What model is it?
Cheers,
Richard.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'd like a nice wide hip belt on a pack of 35 litres or less. Everything gets heavier as I walk including the diminishing litre of water.

Hi Richard
For women it is the aura and men atmos. I don't think the men's pack comes in 35 L size.

Hope this helps,
Lisa

The perfect pack?
Totally waterproof, vented back system, about 35litre capacity,full length vertical zip to main compartment for easy access, good hip belt with zipped pockets for phone etc,2 big mesh side pockets for water bottles,and, most important - weighs nothing....:)

Except for the vertical zipper the osprey aura meets all of the other requirements. The men's version is the atmos and no I don't work for the company.

Hope this helps

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Why even bother about pack weight or type of pack when you can have your pack hauled to the next stop? From what I see quoted on various web sites, it is much cheaper to pay for daily luggage transfers than to buy a superlite expensive backpack. Don't see any weight limit on transfers so perhaps we should see who can travel with the heaviest load? Do they still sell portable porcelain bathtubs that can be carried by porters?

Why even bother about pack weight or type of pack when you can have your pack hauled to the next stop? From what I see quoted on various web sites, it is much cheaper to pay for daily
luggage transfers than to buy a superlite expensive backpack. Don't see any weight limit on transfers so perhaps we should see who can travel with the heaviest load? Do they still sell portable porcelain bathtubs that can be carried by porters?

Perhaps having that porcelain bathtub carried by porters with you sitting inside would be a nice way to do the Camino. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

View attachment 9326
Mark,
I evaluated the Crestrail 48 on a few training hikes before making the Camino last year before deciding on the Osprey Kestral 38. I ended up choosing the latter primarily because the Crestrail just seemed to large, heavy, and stiff -- especially the hip belts. Plus, I felt that the added capacity would encourage me to either take too much unneeded stuff or pick up things along the way that would add to the load. The Kestral just seemed the better of the two, all things considered, at least for me. My only complaint with the Kestral was that as I lost weight along the Camino, I reached the limit of the hip belt's adjustment and ended up duct-taping a pair of extra socks to the inside of the belt to make up the difference :D. Here's review of the Crestrail: http://www.gearinstitute.com/hiking/backpacks/item/rei-crestrail-48
Jim

Hola!

I walked last year with a 22l backpack and it was a little bit small but I could to carry everything! Anyway I have bought a new one 30l for this year, it's big enough if you are going in summer and washing every day when you arrive at the end of the stage.

Usually it's recommended to carry the 10% of your weight, and just the most essential things. If you miss something you can buy during the journey.

And it's enough a half litter plastic bottle of water that you can fill up on the fountains you find at Camino. A metallic bottle is not necessary because it's more weight on top!

I had a very nice last 113 km in 2013 and I will start this year in Roncesvalles.

Buen Camino!!

To me my Ospey exos 46 would be perfect if it had a seperate zipper bottom compartment for (for instance) a sleeping bag.

Other then that its great and very lightweight.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'd start by looking at this pack from Alpkit, its only 20L so if you want to go lightweight its fine, and the elasticated cords hold gear well (Waterproof/poncho or drying bits).
Its waterproof when new, and it sells out almost immediately when stock becomes available at £22.50. No I dont work for them :) though I do use this pack everyday. Cinched down it doesnt move an inch. No stays, so it rolls up pretty well.
There are 25L (£22) and 30L (£25) versions but they dont have the side mesh or the elastic cord. Shame that.
  • Pouch for hydration unit (450 mm long by 200 mm wide bladder)
  • Roll-top waterproof closure
  • Removeable padded back
  • Taped waterproof seams
  • Duraflex buckle and toggle closure
  • Twin mesh side pocket (will fit std cycle water bottle and smaller Siggs,)
  • Elasticated accessory cord
  • Decent padded shoulder straps (can hang camera or other attached bits) chest straps and an itsy bitsy waist strap
I'd get compression sacks for everything, especially for a lightweight sleeping bag.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/gourdon-20
gourdon20_colours_1000x1000_456_456auto.jpg

How about a pack with legs that carries its owner:p
Like 'the luggage' in the Terry Pratchett Disc world books.......This would be my ideal if it were possible.....:)

I have the zpacks zero size small (@27.5 L)made with cuben hybrid fabric. It is frameless, but as my loaded pack weight is less than 10 pounds, I don't really need a frame. It is completely customized in that when I ordered it I added pockets to both shouder straps,load lifter straps, the padded waist belt also with pockets, a small removable chest pack, a net pocket and straps on top and bottom, and shock cord lashing. I wanted to cover all my bases. You can have them put pockets to hold a sleeping pad or seat cushion to the back. I have a pack liner and a few of their dry bags and it doesnt need a rain cover. I also have their rain jacket. Even with a tent a (their soloplex), I have planty of room to spare. Very nice company owned by a nice young couple.
You can also buy material on their site as well as extra straps and clips etc. in case you want to add anything on your own.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

LOL
Rambler
I used an Osprey Kestrel and loved it. BUT I would like someway to reach a water container easily and maybe someway to limit the size of the main compartment as one finally throws away, gives away stuff that isn´t needed in order not to carry the remaining load too low on your body. Otherwise I loved once I learned to adjust all the straps correctly and that just takes time.

I used an Osprey Kestrel and loved it. BUT I would like someway to reach a water container easily and maybe someway to limit the size of the main compartment as one finally throws away, gives away stuff that isn´t needed in order not to carry the remaining load too low on your body. Otherwise I loved once I learned to adjust all the straps correctly and that just takes time.
I also have an Osprey Kestrel 48L. But I have been experimenting with something quite different. In addition, here is one from Gobi Gear I hope to take with me this trip. It is only 30 L;

https://shop.gobigear.com/free-spirit-backpack/

As to my own design, I am looking to get rid of the backpack entirely. I start with a wool blanket, a dry bag, or small group of bags and some paracord. Then, after bundling the separate bags inside the blanket, with the cord, I have a daypack (10L), with both shoulder straps and a waist belt. Adding this to the bundled belongings is easy. To top it all off and to protect the blanket, I will use the rain cover from the Osprey Kestrel. So, the blanket (2 lb), and daypack (1 lb) replace the Kestrel (3 lb) and a sleeping bag (1 lb). It is a saving of 2 lb. Beyond this, the weight of what ever else is being carried is up to the individual. The blanket is expandable without adding further weight.

But, this can be done without the daypack by using some 1 1/2 or 2 inch webbing, making it lighter still.

The best suggestion is to keep it small in the first place. If it is small but full, there is less chance to overpack and create something that is overweight.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.