• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another of the endless boot questions (sorry)

cherrys

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept/Oct (2013), Finisterre/Muxia Oct (2013), Camino Frances and on to Finisterre Sept/Oct (2016)
My old Vasque boots fell apart outside Molinaseca, I bought new cheapish black ones (they were the most comfortable) in Ponferrada. Not one problem with them. Totally amazing. But they are a bit heavier and hotter than I'd like. Have recently tried out two pairs of Hi Tec Sienna low hiking boots, but one was too short, a 10, so I got an 11. The left boot squeaks! So they go back. Has anyone tried the Merrell Siren Sport 2? They seemed very comfortable today, very roomy up by my toes. I also tried on a Merrell Salina Trekker (leather), a Merrell Hilltop Ventilator and a Keen Kove. Any thoughts from anyone? The Sirens were the most comfortable. And price is definitely an issue so anything over $100 is unfortunately out of the question.
Thanks, Cherry

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, I can't speak for boots, as I bought Merrell Moabs... they just feel a bit heavy and hot, but no blisters. I think I might go for a lower trail runner type, ankles or no. I'm interested in what people have to say as well.

There is a continual discussion of the need for boots versus trainers/trailrunners.

I grew up with boots, the heavy leather ones, those you have "for life", and that you inherit from aunts/uncles/grandparents. Some people are more comfortable with those, and that is fine. However, the Camino Frances does not present terrain where most are in need of the older style heavy leather boots. For a minority that have issues with weak ankles, previous injury etc etc an old style boot might be best.

Financially there is a difference - I do not expect trainers/trailrunners to last me much more than 1000km. Heavy leather boots - the last pair I had did upwards of 3000km, they had more life in them, but I got rid of them.

Whatever footwear you get, they need to fit you and your gait. Different models in the same brand might not fit you. If you get footwear that fits you perfectly - you do not need to walk them in. I had a favorite, could put them on and start walking (they don't make it anymore). If you can walk up and down stairs for 15-20minutes, with no "naggles" the footwear probably suits you, if you have "naggles" they don't.

I wrecked a pair of well rated trail runners in less than 40km, as the friction/abrasion on my foot meant that I'd grated off all the lining on the heel in that time... I have also had "cheap" trainers from supermarkets that lasted +1500km .

You can, and should ask for advice, but at the end of the day, go with your gut instinct - if they fit you, buy them... If they do not fit, leave them alone

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm a Merrell Moab man.
Not Gortex, but with the in-house waterproofing.
My feet fall apart if they regularly get wet.
IMO the Gortex ones are stiffer and less comfortable.
REgds
Gerard

I'm a Merrell Moab man.
Not Gortex, but with the in-house waterproofing.
My feet fall apart if they regularly get wet.
IMO the Gortex ones are stiffer and less comfortable.
REgds
Gerard
Thanks to all of you for responding. I also tried the Moabs on, and thought them a bit heavy, more like my Spanish ones. Since I already have those, and they're really comfortable (walked 7 miles today on paved roads up to the garage to pick up our car in my effort to not use transportation if I can avoid it), I'm trying to opt for a lighter weight shoe, but still with more support than a trainer. I also agree about the Gortex making for a stiffer shoe. I worked in a rock climbing/mountaineering store for several years, so am pretty knowledgeable about fit, etc., so that helps. Before my camino I read and reread a lot of the boot posts on the forum, deciding to go with my tried and true boots, although I had been out looking for lighter weight ones then too. I had tried Merrells on back then, but they seemed too wide and sloppy. But 500 miles later my feet have spread and they fit much better! So unless I turn up something different tomorrow out shopping (and I'm very sick of sitting at the computer looking), I think I'll go with the Sirens. EMS has a special promotion on now that gives you 20% off if you become a member (it's free), so that brings them down to $72. Not too bad at all. Thanks again, Cherry

Ah, squeaky boots. I recently got a really cheap pair that I'm going to 'experiment' with on a short Camino in a couple of weeks. I'm really interested in how they stand up overall compared with what I would normally wear for a Camino but cost three times as much. I knew from the outset that they were relatively heavy, but over the last couple of days of breaking in they've also started to squeak slightly. In a way I'm pleased because they both squeak - on a previous Camino only the left boot squeaked and it drove me slightly mad for 300 miles. They haven't started to smell unpleasant yet, but they will on the Camino. Even my Scarpas did that. :oops:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Well, I can't speak for boots, as I bought Merrell Moabs... they just feel a bit heavy and hot, but no blisters. I think I might go for a lower trail runner type, ankles or no. I'm interested in what people have to say as well.

Suzanne, I wear lightweight Asic runners.
What do you wear to walk in at home? Are they comfortable after a long walk? Why wear something else?
If you think the boots feel heavy and hot now, they will feel twice as heavy and hot if you are wearing them day after day after day. It does depend a bit on the time you are walking and the trail you have chosen but if June, July or August on either the Frances or the VDLP, then heat is a very big issue.

. And price is definitely an issue so anything over $100 is unfortunately out of the question.

Decalthon is selling various store brand shoes aimed at walking or similar. They start at about €15. They aren't water proof. They aren't pretty. But they're cheap and if you aren't going hiking on tough terrain they do the job. Plus at the price even if they only give you 1000 km it's not a big deal.

Obviously for winter you'd want something else but for summer they'll work.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.