• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Latin mass service.

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
Just one simple question: is the Cathedral still doing mass service in Latin?
I'm asking this because when I've done my first Camiño, the mass was in Spanish (no problem with that), but I would like to attend to a Latin mass.

Somebody told me that there was a Latin mass in Santiago, but I think that somebody gave me incorrect information.

Best Regards
Diogo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
They sing vespers in Latin at the monastery in Santo Domingo de Silos. Not quite a mass, but close.

They sing vespers in Latin at the monastery in Santo Domingo de Silos. Not quite a mass, but close.

Will appreciate to see that. I think that mass service in Latin in Portugal doesn't exist anymore.

Best Regards
Diogo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just one simple question: is the Cathedral still doing mass service in Latin?
I'm asking this because when I've done my first Camiño, the mass was in Spanish (no problem with that), but I would like to attend to a Latin mass.

Somebody told me that there was a Latin mass in Santiago, but I think that somebody gave me incorrect information.

Best Regards
Diogo

Diogo

The Canon's Mass at 9.30 am in the Cathedral starts with the Canon's singing Laudes in Latin and continues onto Mass with the parts of the Mass sung in Latin. However the spoken parts are in Spanish.

Similarly at the Pilgrims mass each day at 12 noon the parts of the Mass are usually sung in Latin.

Diogo

The Canon's Mass at 9.30 am in the Cathedral starts with the Canon's singing Laudes in Latin and continues onto Mass with the parts of the Mass sung in Latin. However the spoken parts are in Spanish.

Similarly at the Pilgrims mass each day at 12 noon the parts of the Mass are usually sung in Latin.

Thank you very much :) It look's like I'll have to pass another extra day in Santiago next year.

Best Regards
Diogo

We attended a Latin High Mass in the Cathedral at Pamplona, where we spent the night before taking the bus to St Jean Pied de Port to begin our Camino. However, it happened to be on the morning of August 15, the Feast of the Assumption, a special Holy Day in the Catholic Church. I'm not sure if it's done there on a regular basis otherwise.
Buen Camino,
Jim

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mass in Latin went out ages ago ( Vatican Council). Only Marcel-François Marie Lefebvre ( R.I.P.) and his followers continue to say the Mass in Latin.

Ondo Ibili !

Thousands of Latin Masses are celebrated all over the world every week, and not just by breakaway sects like Lefevre´s group. Latin Masses are still perfectly "legal" for Catholic priests and worshipers, if that is what they want. They´re usually called "Tridentine" Masses, and are attended by people who feel the "Novus Ordo" service instituted by Vatican 2 reforms stripped away the majesty of the old Mass.
Try googling "Latin Mass" and you will find all kinds of listings and info.
I have only ever heard Latin Mass in Spain at convents and monasteries, never in a parish setting. Spain is a real bastion of conservative Catholicism, so I know the Tridentines are out there... I guess I just never went looking for them.
Perhaps one of the several priests on this forum can help out?

Mass in Latin went out ages ago ( Vatican Council). Only Marcel-François Marie Lefebvre ( R.I.P.) and his followers continue to say the Mass in Latin.

Have you never heard of the Papal Encyclicals Ecclesia Dei and Summorum Pontificum ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, Rebekah it depends what you mean by "Latin Mass" ? If you mean Mass in the Extraordinary form then this is not available in the cathedral.

However all of the Masses in the Cathedral have the spoken parts in Castellano (Gallego on Saturday evenings) and many of the Masses have the sung parts (and occasionally the Pater Noster) in Latin.

Just to update this with the info that I now have -- there is exacttly one Latin Mass along the whole of the Camino Francès, on the Sunday morning at Pamplona Cathedral -- it is a diocesan TLM

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.