• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it really difficult for a biker to get into albergues in August?

gracie

I will be biking camino frances in August 2014 and i have read that it is the busiest time. I am concerned about places to stay during the night because some threads indicate that bikers will have to wait to get into albergues until all the walkers have arrived. And, if they get full then you have to bike to the next town. Had there been cases where one had to bike late at night just to find a vacant place to sleep? I am worried if i have to bike all through the night because the albergues all full or the thought of sleeping in the fields is giving me the creeps.

Can someone please enlighten me on this....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've heard all kinds of rumors out there when I rode my bike. It was a bit later in the year but the rumors were unfounded for me. It depends on what albergue I suppose but I was never turned away for being on a bike.

Dearest Gracie (and others of course),

You are doing the Camino not the ride-from-hell. You may be requested to wait till after a specific time, if alberge full then they may even direct you what other options and where to find them. Worst that can happen is you whip out your creditcard an opt for a more expensive (torturous €45 per room) casa rural and enjoy doing your laundry and sleeping in peaceful bliss without the nightly snoring symphony the alberge offers you.

Perhaps download and printout available lists on this website of sleeping establishments along the Camino Frances

This happened to me during my camino ride last week after indulging in the fuente vino located in Bodega Ixarte found my cycling legs have opted to go on strike and leave me in Villamayor de Montgardin. It was a most enjoyable night of rest and leaving with a full panniers of clean clothes.

Life is fun on the Camino. Adventure only starts when things go wrong. Strangely, helping angels always appeared to nudge me when and where I couldnt muster the strength to go on. A young lady from the village walked me up the steep mountain towards Villamayor de Montgardin and voila, paradise.

There are mountains and mountains of genuine people to thank for everything on the Camino, you will experience this too!

Buen Camino on your ride!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I would be prepared to spend a night or two in a hostal. Based on the experience of one trip I think much of this depends on your timing - If you arrive at Hornillos del Camino on a Saturday afternoon (1 day walk out of a major starting point at the weekend) you’ll find most walkers being turned away and getting taxis to other places so no chance as a cyclist. (I stayed in a fantastic hostal nearby with another female cyclist and had the best bubble bath you can possibly imagine)

Popular albergues seem to fill up really early so unless you want to stop riding at midday and queue up you won’t get in. One hospitalero told me that albergues which are the last stop before a big town are usually quieter because most people walk on wanting to spend the night in the town.

I was ‘turned away’ a couple of times on my trip by people who I think were other pilgrims not the hospitaleros. Most memorably, I stopped at Cizur Menor because I wanted to look at the Church and someone started yelling about how I couldn’t stay because I was on a bike and it was far too early – (possibly 4pm?). They relaxed when I said I just wanted to visit the Church. Another lovely pilgrim gave me a lecture about how doing the camino on a bike wasn’t a true pilgrimage and it shouldn’t count, I was also told that because I took the main road in some places I wasn’t doing the proper route and that I shouldn’t be allowed to stay in albergues... but I also met some terrific locals who were amazingly helpful and more than compensated for the odd unpleasant experience.

In my opinion, night (or early evening) on the camino is wonderful, no pilgrims to worry about terrifying with your bell and lots of locals out taking a stroll. Nothing to worry about, it’s not creepy, I would say take advantage of the freedom a bicycle gives you and really embrace the experience of cycling the camino.

Good luck with your ride!

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back