• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fuseta before (or after?) Camino

Snowgen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (2015)
Over 100 years ago, before immigrating to the USA, my family lived in Fuseta (Fuzeta?). The sentimentalist in me would like to visit the birthplace of my forebears in conjunction with my Camino. But really, I don't know what I would do there. I have the name of a street from my Grandmother's birth certificate (if it was translated correctly), so I guess I could go there and see the street then leave?

Is there anything else I should do in Fuseta? Would it make more sense to visit it before my Camino, or afterwards? Or should I just forget the whole idea?

Thanks for advice and insight!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Over 100 years ago, before immigrating to the USA, my family lived in Fuseta (Fuzeta?). The sentimentalist in me would like to visit the birthplace of my forebears in conjunction with my Camino. But really, I don't know what I would do there. I have the name of a street from my Grandmother's birth certificate (if it was translated correctly), so I guess I could go there and see the street then leave?

Is there anything else I should do in Fuseta? Would it make more sense to visit it before my Camino, or afterwards? Or should I just forget the whole idea?

Thanks for advice and insight!
Hello. Do you mean Fuzeta in the Algarve (southern Portugal) or is there another(s)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello. Do you mean Fuzeta in the Algarve (southern Portugal) or is there another(s)

I believe that's the one I mean. I don't speak Portuguese, and all I have to go on these days is a scan of my grandmother's Portuguese birth certificate.

I believe that's the one I mean. I don't speak Portuguese, and all I have to go on these days is a scan of my grandmother's Portuguese birth certificate.
I live very near to Fuseta and know quite a few people there. Do you have any living relatives that you know are still there,if you want to give some names,i shall make enquiries on your behalf ,should you wish. Martin

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I live very near to Fuseta and know quite a few people there. Do you have any living relatives that you know are still there,if you want to give some names,i shall make enquiries on your behalf ,should you wish. Martin
Sadly, I don't know of anyone still living there. My dad passed away a few years ago.

All I know is that as a child, my grandmother lived on Rua Ingreja in Fuseta, and that her parents were Jose Rolão and Maria Diaz Griels (they passed on when I was young). They left Portugal in 1915 (and I'll be there in 2015--how perfect is that?). I think there was a Cormo family involved, but that's really ancient history now.

Anyway, thank you for your kind offer.

Fuseta has street view in Google Earth, Have you seen if the house is still there?
What an awesome idea! Thanks! I took the "street view walk" down the street after reading this. It's a small street, ending at a Church. Probably the church where my grandmother/aunts/uncles were baptized. How neat would it be to take my brother there?

It's a shame it's not on the Camino route--I love love to be able to get a sello from there!

It's a shame it's not on the Camino route--I love love to be able to get a sello from there!

If you have your credecial before your Camino (you can order one from this forum), take it with you when (if) you visit. Many organizations (churches, restaurants, bars, companies, etc) have stamps even if they are not on the Camino. It's worth asking around and I certainly would not think it a problem to have your credencial stamped there even if you then bus up to Lisbon or elsewhere to start walking.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sadly, I don't know of anyone still living there. My dad passed away a few years ago.

All I know is that as a child, my grandmother lived on Rua Ingreja in Fuseta, and that her parents were Jose Rolão and Maria Diaz Griels (they passed on when I was young). They left Portugal in 1915 (and I'll be there in 2015--how perfect is that?). I think there was a Cormo family involved, but that's really ancient history now.

Anyway, thank you for your kind offer.
Hi Snowgen. The street of your forbears was Rua de IGREJA,which means Church road in English. The old church is still there and the road its on is still the same road.
Fuseta is a very lively ,albeit small town at this time of year. There is a big campsite and quite a lot of rental apartments. There is a ferry from the town to the beach,a very good and clean beach. The local inhabitants are called "Fusetanos",and they are ,in general ,quite a wild,somewhat untamed,fun loving tribe of people. Most were born from fisher folk stock,and even further back it is believed that many of the coastal dwellers have Celtic origins. Do let me know if you do decide to visit. All the best, Martin

What an awesome idea! Thanks! I took the "street view walk" down the street after reading this. It's a small street, ending at a Church. Probably the church where my grandmother/aunts/uncles were baptized. How neat would it be to take my brother there?

If you want to, your caminho starts in Fuseta of all places ! So it is a great idea to stamp your credential there as well!

How long do you have? Would you be tempted by the idea of a long coastal walk to Lisbon from Fuseta, then onwards to Santiago? That would be epic, and I would love to read your account of it!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Probably a trip of 1100 kms and some !
I read a story of a Dutch pilgrim who walked from the utmost south west point of Europe in the Algarve (cabo São Vicente - you only can go back or swim to America from there and on behalf of that there is a German who sells the last German sausage to America there :). ) and he walked 300 km from there to Lisbon.
From Fuseta to Lisbon is about the same distance .added to the caminho from Lisbon you end up about 950 kms to Santiago de Compostela. Which means 9 till 10 weeks.

Last edited:
I can see a great book in this: 'To Santiago from the village of my fathers, via the last German sausage to America'

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I read a story of a Dutch pilgrim who walked from the utmost south west point of Europe in the Algarve (cabo São Vicente - you only can go back or swim to America from there and on behalf of that there is a German who sells the last German sausage to America there :). ) and he walked 300 km from there to Lisbon.
From Fuseta to Lisbon is about the same distance .added to the caminho from Lisbon you end up about 950 kms to Santiago de Compostela. Which means 9 till 10 weeks.
+/- 100 kms from Fuseta to Sagres,OK 1250 mais ou menos.:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mil cemcinquenta ? Creo que não ! É menos !
Methinks if one walks west ,along the coast from Fuseta to Sagres,then follows the coast ,as much as possible to Lisboa,the trip would be well in excess of mil e cem. Fusea,>Sao Bras>Almodova>Beja>Santarem etc,then the trip might be n0ve centos e tal. All vague estimates,of course.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Methinks if one walks west ,along the coast from Fuseta to Sagres,then follows the coast ,as much as possible to Lisboa,the trip would be well in excess of mil e cem. Fusea,>Sao Bras>Almodova>Beja>Santarem etc,then the trip might be n0ve centos e tal. All vague estimates,of course.
The best remedy is to find it out (not by me by the way..the Algarve is not my favourite area of Portugal)

there is a marked trail from Cabo San Vicente right up along that coast... it was featured in several newspaper travel sections last year, when the waymarking finished up. It has decent infrastructure, but at tourist standards and prices. Superb beaches, really good food... I know part of it is called the Fishermen´s Trail, but I cannot recall the overall name of it. A search should pull it up for you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for all the replies. Sadly I do not have the time to walk the whole way from Fuseta. I was talking to my brother about it this weekend, and we're now thinking we'll start our caminho thusly:
  1. Fly from the states into Lisbon.
  2. Train or Bus from Lisbon to Fuseta.
  3. Train or Bus from Fuseta to Fatima (optional)
  4. Train or bus to Porto or Coimbra (still haven't decided)
  5. Start waking!

Most were born from fisher folk stock,and even further back it is believed that many of the coastal dwellers have Celtic origins. Do let me know if you do decide to visit.

Martin,

That they were born of fisher-folk stock doesn't surprise me: my brother, father, and grand-father were all fishermen, and my great-grandfather (Jose Rolão, the one who immigrated from Fuseta) was a sailor.

We will definitely be visiting there!

Thanks,
Joe

Martin,

That they were born of fisher-folk stock doesn't surprise me: my brother, father, and grand-father were all fishermen, and my great-grandfather (Jose Rolão, the one who immigrated from Fuseta) was a sailor.

We will definitely be visiting there!

Thanks,
Joe
Tell me when abouts are you going to be in Algarve, it might be possible i could come and meet you in Fuseta,or nearby. Maybe come to my home for evening meal if you don´t mind hill billy. Ha ha.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back