• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice about travelling alone

AWalker

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino on the 23rd July 2014
This is going to be my first camino, I am so nervous but also filled with excitement.

My nerves are more so down to the fact I am travelling alone. I'm arriving in SJPdP on 23rd July and staying in Honto. I was wondering if there were any others going solo?

I am also rather worried about not finding somewhere to stay for the last 100km and having to sleep outside.... alone. Is this likely? I don't intend to pack for sleeping outdoors :/

Also, I was wondering if there are ever any issues with things getting stolen?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated... and hopefully lead to some good nights sleep before I head off.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm arriving in SJPdP on 23rd July and staying in Honto. I was wondering if there were any others going solo?

I am also rather worried about not finding somewhere to stay for the last 100km and having to sleep outside.... alone. Is this likely?

You will meet a dozen people at Hunto, and can make friends among them.

It is unlikely that you will have to sleep outdoors in the last 100km. Just be flexible, or call ahead.

Things get stolen. Keep your valuables with you at all times.

Buen camino.

This is going to be my first camino, I am so nervous but also filled with excitement.

My nerves are more so down to the fact I am travelling alone. I'm arriving in SJPdP on 23rd July and staying in Honto. I was wondering if there were any others going solo?

I am also rather worried about not finding somewhere to stay for the last 100km and having to sleep outside.... alone. Is this likely? I don't intend to pack for sleeping outdoors :/

Any help and advice would be much appreciated... and hopefully lead to some good nights sleep before I head off.
hi welcome , I did not travel alone but just thought I may be able to ease your mind,we met several young lads and ladies travelling alone and they were happy and unafraid,we were a group of just 3 dad .sis and I,and we watched out on any of our stops for them as it seemed many others did, so don't worry but I would suggest keeping your important items ie cash ,cards and passports in a plastic bag so they are in sight or on your body at all times even in the shower! 95% of the people you meet will be good kind souls but better safe than sorry, a very sure you will have a great time,just keep your stuff with you to be sure, to be sure [I am irish ;)]

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I traveled alone last year, September and October. I was nearly 67 years old and needed a "long quiet walk". It was MUCH harder than a walk, but I never felt in danger. You are alone, but are not often without other walkers around you and you can choose to just say "Buen Camino", ask for help if you need it (a hard thing for me), or pair up with others whenever you want. A HUGE advantage to walking alone. I worried about the theft issue initially, and was ALWAYS cautious . . . always had my ipod and iphone in my pockets, but the only problem I had was when I got to Santiago. Three young men stole my hiking poles, but I saw them and went after them, yelling, "HEY!" They gave them back sheepishly, but I was a bit frustrated to be yelling at someone after nearly 500 miles of peaceful solitude. Still . . . I had a small pouch with my debit card, passport, cash, and John Brierley's book, and I slept with that under my pillow, took into the shower places and put it with my clothes as I cleaned off. Careful, absolutely, but not fearful.

I hope you love the "alone" trip as much as I did. There are plenty of places to sleep along the way, for the most part, and I never came close to sleeping outside. So it is unlikely to say the least. I just posted a three-part list of all the albergues I stayed in along the way, on my website, woodswomanwalking.com. Not an advertisement, just a resource list. Have a great walk! Buen Camino.

Re theft, as someone else posted things do get stolen. Be especially careful of what appears to be a resident thief at the albergue Espirito Santo in Carrion de los Condes - he is aptly described on page 160 of Brierley's Guide. I overnighted there on 12 March this year. Two Catalan pilgrims who had befriended me warned of "danger" and to secure everything. Even though I was at the opposite end of the dormitory, I think he targeted me because I was the oldest and smallest there and travelling alone. A sixth sense woke me up in the middle of the night and I rolled over just as he was about to start rifling through my pack. He can't be very strong as I had him pinned down and helpless in about three seconds flat. The two Catalan gentlemen, who were about three times my size, said some things to him which I didn't understand but seemed to scare the living daylights out of him and he gave no further trouble. But I couldn't sleep any more and had a rotten next day's walk of only about 30k into Moratinos.

De Colores

Bogong

Hello and good evening -
you do not mention if you are at ease alone during your non-camino life - so am not certain how to assure you or "calm nerves" for the camino pilgrimage. I walked alone for the most part of four weeks on the Portuguese caminho. The first two 10 days i only met other pilgrims on the road twice. I met more in the hostels/pensao towards the end of each walking day, but on the road - no, much solitude there but never a moment of unease.
Not in towns nor on remote country roads or field tracks.
Only one item got stolen - on the very last day at the Seminario Menor in Santiago - someone took the pin of the red cross of the Knights Templars from my straw hat. How most peculiar that was ...
Keep your common sense and wits about you - same as anywhere else in the world - and proceed with confidence.
And if for some reason your internal red flags go up, surely there will be help and assistance for the asking.
Worry less and live more -
I don't mean to be discounting your case of nerves - but you might be surprised to experience a new way of an adventure that starts out 'alone' ... but offers so much more.
Wishing you a most inspiring and nourishing time during your camino ...
be gentle with yourself, start slowly and rest well -
Saluti, Claudia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow it has been so interesting reading these comments. I too am doing this alone, am very excited but also a little in awe of it all. But have faith it will all be good. I have chosen to start in Portugal, cycling from Lisbon to Porto and then walking to Santiago De Compostela. Hope it all is easy enough to follow the way!

Being nervous about going into an unknown environment is as normal as anything can be. There are thousands of people with the same worries as you each month.

Take the good advice and reassurance posted here and know that you will be OK and are about to have a life changing adventure.

You will only be alone if you want to.

Be prepared to take an occasional small hotel room in the event that you find albergues full.
Knowing that this is an option can free some of the worry about beds.
Enjoy!
Buen Camino

Last fall I walked alone from SJPP at 67 years old. Never did I feel afraid. I had my few valuables in a small waist pack which I slept with. It only came off when I showered. It stayed in the stall with me and it was the first thing on after I toweled dry. I wish I could feel as safe walking across my own country.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Good luck for next week and please keep us informed about your experiences.
You will have a wonderful time, enjoy.
Buen Courage,
Buen Camino

Being nervous about going into an unknown environment is as normal as anything can be. There are thousands of people with the same worries as you each month.

Take the good advice and reassurance posted here and know that you will be OK and are about to have a life changing adventure.

You will only be alone if you want to.

Be prepared to take an occasional small hotel room in the event that you find albergues full.
Knowing that this is an option can free some of the worry about beds.
Enjoy!
Buen Camino
Thank you for your kind advice. It put a smile of assurance on my face. :)

As a solo walker, I have one piece of advice: walk at times when other pilgrims are out. I only had two occasions last year when I felt unsafe walking. Each time, I had started walking mid-afternoon because I wanted to finish up some sightseeing in a city, so I was on the path quite late, when there were no other pilgrims around. I advise against this. There's safety in numbers. I kept valuables with me at all times. I carried a tiny cable lock (1.5 ounces and purchased at REI) and secured my pack to a fixed object, on occasion. Simple, inconspicuous precautions take the worry out of travel so you can focus on the joy and freedom of walking and the pleasure of meeting wonderful people. So relax, Aussia Liz. You are in for a fantastic experience!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for your advice rsmith, I will be sure to walk at the busy times. I am looking forward to a fantastic experience, thank you :)

I am 63/woman and walked from Burgos to Santiago in May on my own - I say on my own, but in reality I was never alone! I too heard horror stories about finding places to stay from Sarria on but had no problems - not even in Santiago where I found a reasonably-priced Pension within minutes of my arrival. I did not experience or hear of thefts throughout my walk and I never felt unsafe but it makes sense to take the usual precautions. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Re theft, as someone else posted things do get stolen. Be especially careful of what appears to be a resident thief at the albergue Espirito Santo in Carrion de los Condes - he is aptly described on page 160 of Brierley's Guide. I overnighted there on 12 March this year. Two Catalan pilgrims who had befriended me warned of "danger" and to secure everything. Even though I was at the opposite end of the dormitory, I think he targeted me because I was the oldest and smallest there and travelling alone. A sixth sense woke me up in the middle of the night and I rolled over just as he was about to start rifling through my pack. He can't be very strong as I had him pinned down and helpless in about three seconds flat. The two Catalan gentlemen, who were about three times my size, said some things to him which I didn't understand but seemed to scare the living daylights out of him and he gave no further trouble. But I couldn't sleep any more and had a rotten next day's walk of only about 30k into Moratinos.

De Colores

Bogong

Why weren't the police called?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have just walked 1000km from Seville to Santiago. I was fine and I agree with most of the advice given above, just be realistic about safety and listen to your gut feeling and act accordingly. In 2012 I walked from St Jean to Santiago on my own and I was fine then as well! I wish you a wonderful, blessed journey!

Thank you for this post and the answers. As my departure date gets closer, I have had similar concerns about travelling alone. The replies here are reassuring.

Hi I live near to the Camino and I have just driven back from Santiago (1pm) to my home in Brea. I couldnt help but notice how many people of different ages, some in groups some alone, are walking the Camino, so in this section you will definitively not be alone if you walk at regular hours. From my discussions with pilgrims none have reported any worrying incidents. In respects to your belonging being stolen you just need to be sensible and keep important items with you. Enjoy your Camino and try not to worry.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was robbed once but that was on the airport train in Barcelona on my way hom from my camino. It was a bad experience being in Barcelona without passport and money.
Since then I always bring copies of my passport, copies of creditcards and some money in a pocket inside my trousers. Since I walk alone I also have a note with personal details and info about personal contacts.
I have been walking alone on several caminos but never felt afraid.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
I have read comments about security on this website for years and I wonder if I am the odd man out. I have worked in and travelled in many countries (most undeveloped and about 60 at the last count) and nearly always backpacked. I walked the Camino Frances in 2010 at the age of 79 and have walked several Caminos since. I have never booked accommodation on a Camino except on the first night or in France and I have always had a bed. Although travelling alone, I have never been lonely as there are always others willing to talk. The only time I have been robbed was in Georgia (the country), and in China I have had a pocket picked (and he only got a packet of tissues!). In Spain I never take any valuables into a shower, but put them well out of sight such as in the bottom of my pack. Money is distributed in various places (such as rolled up in a toilet roll). Nevertheless, I am always aware of my surroundings and people.
No, I am not crazy, just experienced so there is no need to worry.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am currently on the Camino Francés. I started in Le Puy, and I've walked alone the entire time. I don't walk at the same pace as anyone else generally, and often start slightly later. I haven't had any problems, and haven't felt unsafe even when there was no one else around. Plus, most of the people I've met along the CF are walking alone.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was robbed once but that was on the airport train in Barcelona on my way hom from my camino. It was a bad experience being in Barcelona without passport and money.
Since then I always bring copies of my passport, copies of creditcards and some money in a pocket inside my trousers. Since I walk alone I also have a note with personal details and info about personal contacts.
I have been walking alone on several caminos but never felt afraid.
Buen camino!
Very good advice; I do pretty much the same thing. One other idea that I haven't noticed anybody has mentioned about lodging...normally one can find a bed in an albergue but if you are in some small town and the albergues are full and there is no room in a hotel, go to the parish priest's house, tell him you are a pilgrim and he will likely let you sleep in the church. At least you would be indoors.

Re Fernandezr suggestion, also there are often 'little old ladies' in a village who have a spare bedroom and are happy to offer accomodation for a small fee if an albergue is full. The hospitalero and/or the priest will usually know who these ladies are and where to find them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am so sorry that this isn't related to your question but I can't navigate the site. Can anyone tell me what to do if you have left something in a albergue and want it posted on?

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.