• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Smartphones, ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Doesn't HE have an app yet? :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Didn't carry any phone on recent Camino. Noticed people receiving calls while walking which I initially thought was unusual. The thing that surprised me was how many people gather at tables outside bars and albergues in the evenings and just sit in complete silence never speaking to others at their table or other tables as they are too busy texting. Wondered just why they were walking. Why leave home if you have to check in every day?
In my part of Pennsylvania, we have a lot of gas drillers working who come from different areas and most just love the fact that we have no cell service available in a lot of our rural towns. Yesterday I met a local woman who told me her boss told that she is NOT allowed too go on vacation to any place where cell service is not available 24 hours per day. She plans on walking the Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Closer we get to science, the closer we get to God"

Our local Amish sure don't agree with that---but they now carry cell phones!

I can't afford to be on my iPhone for that I kind of use. Data is expensive internationally and I refuse to spend my time desperately searching for wifi!
My iPhone is my camera and a way to check in with my grown kids and hubby back home via Skype or, yes FB, once a week. Period! They all know it.

My smartphone arrived yesterday and I'm very excited!! ;)

I'm the total opposite to some in that I've refused to join the 21st century... much to the annoyance of friends and family I didn't have a mobile! (well I had the cheapest pay as you go from Leclerc and never charged it). But my forthcoming walk changed my mind for me and I think it's also given my family a little peace of mind.

I decided that my smartphone can be
  • my camera/video recorder
  • my guide books
  • my music
  • my reading book
  • my tourist information
  • my map
  • my link to home (and this forum)
  • I can scan and copy all my important medical records and other important documents and have access to them
  • I have a phone book
  • an address book
  • Michel Thomas loaded to help me improve my Spanish (and even my French)
  • I've found a very clever app that translates text for me
  • GPS - not to show me the way but to show where I've been
  • It also gives me access to my blog/journal - which I will update when I have a moment
  • it's a tool that allows me to store information and ph0tos online so they are safe even if I lose/break the phone
  • all of this and it fits in my pocket!!
I dont think it will detract from my experience at all... I just think it will make life a little easier and my pack a little lighter.

So... If any one has any great apps that they think I could use please let me know... I've got Wise Pilgrim and Mapmywalk... or if you've got any useful tips that would also be very welcome! :D

Did you order your smartphone from GSM nation?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have used my smart phone several times on this camino and it has proved invaluable.

Google maps when I am not quite sure and need to find a street.

Booking.com app to take me to my accommodation at certain stops.

My Spanish translation app when I need to order something and ask a question.

And most importantly to be able to login to this forum to pull information or record my day on the camino.

Having a quick translator was great. My French isn't TOO bad, but my Spanish still wasn't up to snuff, especially when I needed medical care (hyperextended knee). I ended up using the phone for translation and to hold my guidebook (on the Kindle app). It was very convenient, and took wonderful photos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My husband got it... I think he may have got it from ebay but I'm not sure... sorry :rolleyes:

As long as you got one for a fair price is all that matters.

My suggestions (in addition to those you have listed) :
(1) 1Password or something similar to store all secure information like passwords, PIN numbers, credit card details,
(2) Your bank probably has an app for online banking and paying bills; mine even enables withdrawals from EFTPOS machines
(3) Converter (currency conversions, also weights and measures, clothes sizes etc)
(4) Field Guide to identify flora - I use a couple of different ones.

Ok Kanga...what is an EFTPOS??

ksam

Electronic Fund Transfer at Point Of Sale

By which it means when paying your bill in a shop/hotel/bar etc you can use your (generally a debit) card, punch in your PIN, and the money is immediately debited from your account (if there are sufficient funds!).

In addition to paying your bill some establishments allow you to do what, in Britain, is called a "cash back" i.e. you have settled your bill and they will ask if you would like cash in hand - the total of both transactions is, of course, immediately taken out of your bank account.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We have just invested in a Power Monkey explorer - (LINKY) - the battery is not huge (2200mAh) - about the same as a full charge on the mobile phone, but as it has a solar recharger, so we can keep topping up all day if needs be, and should not need to find a power socket.

Cinimod... mine arrived today and even on a pretty cloudy, overcast day it charged great! I've had my phone on a fair bit, taking photos, downloading apps and just trying to get used to using it. Over 2 days the battery went down to 37% but charged fully in less than 2 hours... so i'm hoping that this great little gadget my phone will keep my phone charged all the way! many thanks!

And everyone else... thanks for the app suggestions. Love the idea of spotting the stars! I'm working my way through the list... have to say so far I am loving it and I'm a convert! ;)

ksam

Electronic Fund Transfer at Point Of Sale

By which it means when paying your bill in a shop/hotel/bar etc you can use your (generally a debit) card, punch in your PIN, and the money is immediately debited from your account (if there are sufficient funds!).

In addition to paying your bill some establishments allow you to do what, in Britain, is called a "cash back" i.e. you have settled your bill and they will ask if you would like cash in hand - the total of both transactions is, of course, immediately taken out of your bank account.

And this is special? Or new? Ive been able to do all this for years already. Cant even remember for how long. Also international.

Latest thing is paying with bankcard by just touching my bankcard against the pinmachine in a store. Even works with card in wallet. Just let the wallet touch the machine, done...payed. Who knows, this might be old fashioned already for some hahaha.

Next up...paying with....yes....your Sssmartphone instead of bankcard in a store :) cant wait for that to be possible on the camino ;)

And this is special? Or new? Ive been able to do all this for years already. Next up...paying with....yes....your Sssmartphone instead of bankcard in a store :) cant wait for that to be possible on the camino ;)
Dutch,
First part varies from country to country and from locality to locality even in those countries.
As to NFC (near field communication) it is already available on some phones and, again, only some in some countries and, again, in them only a few companies allowing it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Holland is very small. Here it works NATIONWIDE :):)

Latest thing is paying with bankcard by just touching my bankcard against the pinmachine in a store. Even works with card in wallet. Just let the wallet touch the machine, done...payed.
I don't think the bankcard has to actually 'touch' the PIN machine - just waving it in the vicinity of seems to work. Also, my understanding is that there are 'readers' that can scan info off of bank cards even if they are just in the vicinity of. Unscrupulous persons can conceal these devices in a purse / briefcase, etc. and can read this info by just walking by. Since I heard of this technique, I keep all my bank cards in a protective sleeve. Whether these protective sleeves actually work I don't know, but I haven't heard otherwise.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And I thought Holland was only a part of the Netherlands !! (only teasing!)
Your right, hahaha :)
But i live in the Holland part. The oldest town of Holland, and even there all this high tech payment stuff works :)

If only there was as much free wifi here as on the camino....

I don't think the bankcard has to actually 'touch' the PIN machine - just waving it in the vicinity of seems to work. Also, my understanding is that there are 'readers' that can scan info off of bank cards even if they are just in the vicinity of. Unscrupulous persons can conceal these devices in a purse / briefcase, etc. and can read this info by just walking by. Since I heard of this technique, I keep all my bank cards in a protective sleeve. Whether these protective sleeves actually work I don't know, but I haven't heard otherwise.

I guess you have to be more and more carefull with your things. Nothing is uncrackable these days. Thats the downside of hightech, but even just getting money out of an atm can mean that your card gets scanned without you knowing it.

My smartphone arrived yesterday and I'm very excited!! ;)

I'm the total opposite to some in that I've refused to join the 21st century... much to the annoyance of friends and family I didn't have a mobile! (well I had the cheapest pay as you go from Leclerc and never charged it). But my forthcoming walk changed my mind for me and I think it's also given my family a little peace of mind.

I decided that my smartphone can be
  • my camera/video recorder
  • my guide books
  • my music
  • my reading book
  • my tourist information
  • my map
  • my link to home (and this forum)
  • I can scan and copy all my important medical records and other important documents and have access to them
  • I have a phone book
  • an address book
  • Michel Thomas loaded to help me improve my Spanish (and even my French)
  • I've found a very clever app that translates text for me
  • GPS - not to show me the way but to show where I've been
  • It also gives me access to my blog/journal - which I will update when I have a moment
  • it's a tool that allows me to store information and ph0tos online so they are safe even if I lose/break the phone
  • all of this and it fits in my pocket!!
I dont think it will detract from my experience at all... I just think it will make life a little easier and my pack a little lighter.

So... If any one has any great apps that they think I could use please let me know... I've got Wise Pilgrim and Mapmywalk... or if you've got any useful tips that would also be very welcome! :D

Les Brass , if we had a phone in 08 i am sure the BOSS would have considered the above however we did not and" survived" ......and have not since.
Our camera is small , very good and weighs only 180 grams.
Our guide book is the MMDD
No music mate
No reading , too tired
Tourist info offices have all , especially on accommodation for the next 50-100km
No need for a map , in guide book , as hotelmedics has previously said ....***follow the arrows....

The rest are personal and good stuff especially if you are travelling after the walk.

The reason we love NO apps except the camera is
When in the cities their hustle and bustle of everyday life as dan has said on a different camino
The visiting of markets which make the BOSS stop and without doubt changing where we stay.

I just think if everything is on one phone you will have it in your hand all day, everyday.

My kids always when we leave for another camino [ every year] remind us to remember Simon and Garfunkle's great song

THE SOUNDS OF SILENCE.

Have a great camino next month,
Don't complicate a simple walk and it is if you take your time,
And take plenty of photos
When you return and develop them we should see you soon in Le Puy.

Bon Courage and Camino Les Brass

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Smartphones are the best thing since sliced bread, imho.

I agree completely Marianne about how good smartphones are however i'm not sure how they are required on the camino.

I maybe saying too much about them but i can assure you a very , very , very close friend of mine here in Melbourne has the big banks in China plus two here in Australia using his system within phones for payments........ the same as Amex or Visa cards.
His system is already being used in China by over ***10 times the Australian population........... yes over 220 million people.
The owner presses a number on his phone and the amount he owes for the transaction is immediately transferred to the sellers bank account.
His bank details are on his phone.......and very secure.
In China the new housing estates have no shopping centres just deliveries.
Can you picture all those millions using the phone a few times a day and my friend maybe just getting a CENT , maybe more ........its plenty.....believe me.
And this will be available very soon in all countries.

I have been around this Payment Networks and smartphones for a while now...........however mate when i go on the camino's in either France or Spain i have great pleasure in getting back to the old ways and just discovering this area and taking our time.

Follow the arrows , they are everywhere and the path is wider than Bourke Street
Book a few days in advance and have an open mind on where to stay and i'm not referring to albergues ....past their use by date for this ageing couple.
Only have the MMDD and get the couple cooking the meals in the pensions or hotels to phone ahead for the coming days after asking their advice.
Leave the rest to nature and the elements.

I'm not against them , just see no need............could they become more important than maybe what you are trying to achieve by going on the camino??

I agree completely Marianne about how good smartphones are however i'm not sure how they are required on the camino.

Earplug, headlights, fitted sheets and lots more aren't required on the camino, but they sure come in handy sometimes, just like a smartphone. If "required" was the camino criteria, we would all walk around with daypacks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Earplug, headlights, fitted sheets and lots more aren't required on the camino, but they sure come in handy sometimes, just like a smartphone. If "required" was the camino criteria, we would all walk around with daypacks.

Dutch , don't tell me earplugs work . Get to sleep first mate.. thats the answer.
Headlights..... .00001% and when you get up @ 5.30 don't wake everyone.
Fitted sheets.........yes i admit i have now reached the private accommodation phase.

i got roped into this Dutch by people stating a phone was useful as a GPS.
You know and i know mate you do not need a GPS or for that matter if walking between July and September ....a map.
Follow the arrows or the early risers.

A gps? Well, some use it, some dont. I have no idea why i would need that, but just the fact that a phone can do that is pretty cool to me.

Earplugs work. I swear by the foam ones. They block eveything out. I cant go to sleep first. I am 9 out 10 times the last one to go to sleep. No way i can sleep at 10 am. Not even after a very long days walk. I am that tiny light in the corner of the dorm that is still shining. Just me, reading in my e-reader, lights dimmed as much as ereader alows me to.
Usually at around 12 am i will try to go to sleep.
I am also never the first to get up. When i wake up, usually 50-75% of the people is gone already. The others are already walking around. I dont hear them. I have GREAT cheap foam earplugs. Mate :)

Earplugs. Don't leave home without it :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
i got roped into this Dutch by people stating a phone was useful as a GPS.
You know and i know mate you do not need a GPS or for that matter if walking between July and September ....a map.
Follow the arrows or the early risers.

Hi Thornley - I wonder if there is some connfusion about the GPS.

I've been using the GPS, not to see where I am going but to see where I have walked. I turn it on at the start... put the phone in my bag and forget about it. When I have finished my walk I can see where i've been, the hills, the distance and it records the path... my husband can also login and see my route and where I am or have been.

It's not essential but I've found it useful on my practice walks and I will enjoy recording my walk across France.

The important thing is that the phone is in my hand... I dont need any contact with the phone... and during the day most folks wouldn't even know it was tracking.

I can't imagine using it to follow the path... that would even annoy me :D

I maybe saying too much about them but i can assure you a very , very , very close friend of mine here in Melbourne has the big banks in China plus two here in Australia using his system within phones for payments........ the same as Amex or Visa cards.
His system is already being used in China by over ***10 times the Australian population........... yes over 220 million people.
The owner presses a number on his phone and the amount he owes for the transaction is immediately transferred to the sellers bank account.
His bank details are on his phone.......and very secure.
In China the new housing estates have no shopping centres just deliveries.
Can you picture all those millions using the phone a few times a day and my friend maybe just getting a CENT , maybe more ........its plenty.....believe me.
And this will be available very soon in all countries.
I have been around this Payment Networks and smartphones for a while now...........however mate when i go on the camino's in either France or Spain i have great pleasure in getting back to the old ways and just discovering this area and taking our time.
Follow the arrows , they are everywhere and the path is wider than Bourke Street
Book a few days in advance and have an open mind on where to stay and i'm not referring to albergues ....past their use by date for this ageing couple. Only have the MMDD and get the couple cooking the meals in the pensions or hotels to phone ahead for the coming days after asking their advice. Leave the rest to nature and the elements.
I'm not against them , just see no need............could they become more important than maybe what you are trying to achieve by going on the camino??
Don't really see the point you're trying to make, Thornley.
Some peregrinos regards amenities as distractions in their search of their inner self. (They still use an airplane to come to Spain and are grateful when someone with a phone in the pocket rescues them in an emergency, though). Others see the Camino as yet another piece in a puzzle to form a grand picture called life. Different approaches – same purpose: to have a valuable experience. What they pack into their rucksacks, how they choose to walk, eat, drink, communicate, sleep, dress....its everyone's own choice and business. What's good for you, may be different to others, lets leave it at that, shall we?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back