• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Feast of St James; missing the party

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
I can't see me getting away from home until at least next year. But I have a bad, bad case. In the last month I have:

(1) Spent far too much time on this forum
(2) Downloaded numerous guides, map apps and accommodation guides
(3) Bought new walking socks and a new hiking umbrella
(4) Trialled a Packa poncho
(5) Ordered and received from Ivar new Credentials for my husband and me
(6) Ordered and received a Camino buff.

The final straw? Last night I bought nidarosa's spare Macabi skirt.

Advice anyone?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I can't see me getting away from home until at least next year. But I have a bad, bad case. In the last month I have:

(1) Spent far too much time on this forum
(2) Downloaded numerous guides, map apps and accommodation guides
(3) Bought new walking socks and a new hiking umbrella
(4) Trialled a Packa poncho
(5) Ordered and received from Ivar new Credentials for my husband and me
(6) Ordered and received a Camino buff.

Advice anyone?
My advice. Keep up the good work! That just sounds all normal and good to me. I sometimes think I'm just obsessed with hiking and travel then I think.... Oh well could be worst things to be obsessed about. I'm just living and having fun. ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
....an illustrated manuscript but which one? I can see your avatar is also illustrated script - from the same source?

I came across the image this morning (UK) from a tweet by Eleanor Parker, a medievalist, academic and blogger. She describes it thus:

"St James, dressed as a medieval pilgrim, with staff, scrip and cockle-shells (1320s, England; BL Stowe 12, f.279v)"

Her blog is at
http://aclerkofoxford.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

I can't remember where I found my avatar though I recall "K" was a rare find

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Kanga

I think you should adopt my idea for a Camino experience in your own home. It involves acquiring a number of those ceramic tiles with scallop shells/yellow arrows that you find in souvenir shops in Santiago. Put one in each room pointing towards the bathroom. Hey presto - every time you have to pay a visit, just follow the arrows! Friends and neighbours can also join in - when they ask to use the bathroom just tell them to 'Follow the arrows!' and wish them a 'Buen Camino!'.

For the full Camino experience you could hang a mini Botafumeiro trinket above the sink to swing when you reach your destination.

I must admit I haven't tried it in my own home yet.

Kanga

I think you should adopt my idea for a Camino experience in your own home. It involves acquiring a number of those ceramic tiles with scallop shells/yellow arrows that you find in souvenir shops in Santiago. Put one in each room pointing towards the bathroom. Hey presto - every time you have to pay a visit, just follow the arrows! Friends and neighbours can also join in - when they ask to use the bathroom just tell them to 'Follow the arrows!' and wish them a 'Buen Camino!'.

For the full Camino experience you could hang a mini Botafumeiro trinket above the sink to swing when you reach your destination.

I must admit I haven't tried it in my own home yet.

That would really be using the Botafumeiro for its reputedly intended use - quelling the smells..... I think I prefer to keep my memories of the sacred rather than the profane!

I have a blue and yellow shell ceramic tile on the garden wall beside our letterbox. It's been there for a number of years. Perhaps one day someone will recognise it and call at the front door. It hasn't happened yet.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Kanga -
You know where to get your Camino "fix"! At the Sydney RSL Club next Saturday!
Be there or be a "missoutagrina"!
We'd love to see your purchases too - particularly if Nidarosa's Macabi skirt arrives in time!
Cheers - Jenny

Hi Kanga and Jenny, fix or blessing? Just arrived home yesterday but wow, had a difficult 3rd and 4th Camino's but this one has left me sat back home in Rapture( ( I can't find a less emotive word for what I feel at the moment). Keep on walking Kanga you know your heart wants it, Thank you to the Camino de Santiago and the people who make it what it is. Soz Jenny for not turning up but jumped a section and on to the Salvador, thank you to Robert from Mauritius to speaking to me as I started the climb before Grandas de Salime, would have walked past his group and not found my Camino family, his depth made me want to listen to him.

And thank you to Camino Frances for giving me a very tranquil and special day between melide and pedrouso when I started late because of too much party spirit with my group at Ezekiel.
Thanks Kanga for posting this because at the moment I just want to shout out aloud my passion for the Way.

Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Kanga -
You know where to get your Camino "fix"! At the Sydney RSL Club next Saturday!
Be there or be a "missoutagrina"!
We'd love to see your purchases too - particularly if Nidarosa's Macabi skirt arrives in time!
Cheers - Jenny

Yes, hoping to be there. Don't think the Macabi will arrive in time.

Hi Kanga and Jenny, fix or blessing? Just arrived home yesterday but wow, had a difficult 3rd and 4th Camino's but this one has left me sat back home in Rapture( ( I can't find a less emotive word for what I feel at the moment). Keep on walking Kanga you know your heart wants it, Thank you to the Camino de Santiago and the people who make it what it is. Soz Jenny for not turning up but jumped a section and on to the Salvador, thank you to Robert from Mauritius to speaking to me as I started the climb before Grandas de Salime, would have walked past his group and not found my Camino family, his depth made me want to listen to him.

And thank you to Camino Frances for giving me a very tranquil and special day between melide and pedrouso when I started late because of too much party spirit with my group at Ezekiel.
Thanks Kanga for posting this because at the moment I just want to shout out aloud my passion for the Way.

Buen Camino

Mike, how marvellous. Your spirit is infectious. Set me up to enjoy the day.

Buen Camino

No worries Mike about missing Rabanal - I'm really happy to hear that all went so well for you on your Camino.

I feel exactly the same as you in your depth of feeling about this magical place - there's absolutely nowhere else in the world like it for the community of strangers who so quickly become friends, and for the spirit of the Camino itself - you can really feel it everywhere.

Cheers - Jenny

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, hoping to be there. Don't think the Macabi will arrive in time.

Hi Kanga now this Macabi is in Raspberry isn't it ? Well if it is ,not sure that is your colour, and you will never see the "Camino smarties" if you put them on your lap to pick up a bottle of water.;) IMHO of course asked Jennie!

Advice anyone?
Share a vino tinto with me on Saturday. Cheers;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Kanga now this Macabi is in Raspberry isn't it ? Well if it is ,not sure that is your colour, and you will never see the "Camino smarties" if you put them on your lap to pick up a bottle of water.;) IMHO of course asked Jennie!

We will see! What's a "Camino smarties"? At least the raspberry is a real colour. The Camino before last I took a black skirt to wear in Nice and Paris, on the way to and from the Camino. I thought it looked quite good. Until my travelling companion remarked that I looked like a Greek grandmother. Which, knowing some of my very elegant Greek friends, was insulting to Greek grandmothers, but you get the picture.

Camino smarties ( you know about the Rowntree smarties tiny choc buttons coated with different flavoured colourings often given to children in tubes at Christmas) Well these are Ibuprofen 400mg coated with strawberry coloured coatings as you know a favourite with pilgrims for pain relief.
You make a joke hard work don't you, never mind wear the skirt if you must if you dribble vino tinto at least it's not going to show .;)

Last edited:
Well these are Ibuprofen 400mg coated with strawberry coloured coatings as you know a favourite with pilgrims for pain relief.
You make a joke hard work don't you, never mind wear the skirt if you must if you dribble vino tinto at least it's not going to show .

Sorry, my Ibuprofen are pale blue....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
HOoo, Kanga we are back on thread
Sorry, my Ibuprofen are pale blue....
Don't be sorry, with blue you could think about painting a little yellow arrow or shell on them to calm you until your next camino !

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back