• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleep sheet vs light sleeping bag

wendywohns

Will I need a sleeping bag in September or will a sleep sheet be enough. I have heard several people say that if they had it to do over they would not bring a sleeping bag. I plan to stay in refugios. Do they all provide blankets?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This question pops up regularly. Only you know how warm you must be to sleep comfortably. It may be hot in September, but parts of the Camino are at high elevations, so temperatures drop. Virtually all albergues have blankets which you can use with a sleep sack. Indoor temperatures will be warmer than outdoor temperatures, so knowing the weather does not help much. If you must be consistently warm to sleep, take a sleeping bag!

Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We went in June and I took a silk sleep sack and a down blanket.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/shenandoah-standard-rectangular-quilts/

This turned out to be perfect. I slept without the blanket mostly, but it was nice to have a couple nights. The down blanket packs down smaller than a sleeping bag - I packed my silk sleep sack, blanket, and pillow case on the stuff sack that came with the blanket. I found the alberques to be generally pretty warm - all those bodies generating heat, windows that may or may not be open.

Will I need a sleeping bag in September or will a sleep sheet be enough. I have heard several people say that if they had it to do over they would not bring a sleeping bag. I plan to stay in refugios. Do they all provide blankets?
Hello wendywohns,
Falcon gives you good advice as far a I am concerned.
Buen (shiver free) Camino my friend.

This question pops up regularly. Virtually all albergues have blankets which you can use with a sleep sack. Indoor temperatures will be warmer than outdoor temperatures, so knowing the weather does not help much. If you must be consistently warm to sleep, take a sleeping bag! Buen camino!
Hi Falcon! Is that strictly true about "virtually all albergues have blankets..."?
I've been in many without: some even without bunks!
On my last camino [Ingles] in May I just took a liner and that was perfectly adequate. But I happily sleep very cool.
It's a personal thing, really, isn't it? :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Brought a lightweight 700gr down sleepingbag last sept. Most of the time this was to hot. Ok. It was lightweight, but excellent quality. Was ok for use upto -7c, so temp wise a bit to much.

Also brought a silk liner which was nice some nights, but others to cold. Especially nearing oktober.

This year im gonna bring a lightweight 320gr down quilt, so cant wait to try that one out. Should be just what i wanted last year :)

Blankets in albergues? Hmm...not all have them. I'm not sure even if more then 50% have them, but i also never looked for them. Albergue blankets were one of those things that i'd rather stay clear of.

I've been in many without: some even without bunks!
Name them. (Camino Frances, please.)

I started a thread on the urban myth that albergues do not have blankets, and the list stopped at about three! Roncesvalles, Leon, and Melide. That is closer to "virtually all" than "many.";)

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Like i said, i did not look for 'm, so can't be sure. And if they did, i put them aside.

Burgos muni? I know i bought paper bedcovers there, but did they have blankets? Maybe if you ask for them. I guess then probably alot will have them, if you ask, but not all with have them on the bed as a standard, right?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Name them. (Camino Frances, please.) I started a thread on the urban myth that albergues do not have blankets, and the list stopped at about three! Leon, Melide, and Pedrouzo. That is closer to "virtually all" than "many.";)
Sorry, Falcon. I have never walked the Frances as you can see under my avatar. I prefer the quieter routes with far less peregrinos [and maybe less blankets ;) ]

Porto to SdC isn't that quiet...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hiked from Leon to Santiago in May. Just took a bag liner and did fine. As others have stated, albergues have blankets and that is all I needed.

I walked from Leon to Santiago last august and I only brought along a silk liner which I came to regret ad few times since I was very cold during three nights. Temperatures vary a lot due to variation in altitude but also in isolation. I especially found old cosy stone albergues to be very cold at night time despite a lot of people sleeping in the same room.

Most places did have blankets but not ones that I felt comfortable using. This time I am going to bring a summer sleeping bag when I rejoin the Camino next month. I will probably be very warm some nights but I definitely prefer that over freezing my but off!

Buen Camino. :)

I walked from Leon to Santiago last august and I only brought along a silk liner which I came to regret ad few times since I was very cold during three nights. Temperatures vary a lot due to variation in altitude but also in isolation. I especially found old cosy stone albergues to be very cold at night time despite a lot of people sleeping in the same room.

Most places did have blankets but not ones that I felt comfortable using. This time I am going to bring a summer sleeping bag when I rejoin the Camino next month. I will probably be very warm some nights but I definitely prefer that over freezing my but off!

Buen Camino. :)
We walked Sept/Oct 2013 and used these bags:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000O1PKG4/?tag=casaivar-21

They open all round to make a cover if that's all you need. Was great to have our own bedding, not relying on "well-used blankets", when they were available. Will be taking these bags again this Sept/Oct. 850grams, rated to 7C

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked in July with a fleece sleeping bag liner and I regretted not having a lightweight sleeping bag. I spent several nights sleeping on the floor of refuges or monasteries that didn't have any beds left and I was cold. Some people think that Spain is hot during the summer months without taking into account the fact that the Camino is at elevation for weeks on end, over 800 meters and sometimes over 1,450 meters. It can get chilly at those elevations.

You mentioned a "sleep sheet." What is the weight difference between that and a lightweight sleeping bag?

Like I said, in my previous post on pack weights. I don't want to rely on infrastructure. The only real consistency is not consistent. That's from the Office of Redundancy Office. But seriously, it's very personal. I like to be prepared. I also would not want to use some of the blankets I encountered on my last pilgrimage.

O'Cebreiro has a very few blankets and certainly not enough for everyone.However they do have central heatingbut there will be a time in October when it will be mighty cold at that altitude and they haven't turned on the heating yet. Also Parochial albergues, such as Granon, do not usually have blankets.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Like I said, in my previous post on pack weights. I don't want to rely on infrastructure. The only real consistency is not consistent. That's from the Office of Redundancy Office.

This is sage advice. You never know what the weather will throw at you and you can't count on blankets. :)

Nobody would expect to encounter a major snowstorm in mid-April on the Camino. However . . . see this link.

Enjoy! :)

Really? From porto to SdC? Or lisbon?

What time of year?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
cRnFaWYVH5jnr_Vg7HAokaeyqdNHNgK5jjN2K90_5w=w295-h177-p-no

Two bunks, mattresses, and blankets here. All were waterlogged, of course. There are many church porches without blankets, too.;)

I didn't know that there was a chain of these luxurious albergues. ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 25
Stayed in 3 places without beds--slept on floor. One place let people sleep in Chapel because it was raining and other places were full. Lot of places do NOT have blankets--if they had them, I used them. Albergue at Roncevalle does NOT have blankets but will sell you a sleeping bag for 64 Euros!

I carried a sleeping bag and sleeping pad and would do so again It was COLD at night in many places in June, 2014. But if you are doing the Camino because there is not enough suffering in your life, don't bother with a sleeping bag.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was very happy with my new down bag that opens out to a blanket. Very lightweight at 430 grams and packed into a tiny stuff sack. I would not want to use the albergue blankets too close to my skin. I also took a silk liner and an under sheet - all items treated with permethrin. Walked the Portuguese from Lisbon in May. I would take this combination in all but winter months when I personally would need a warmer bag, but then, I doubt if I will walk in winter. The down bag was very expensive but I was very happy with my investment. See my assessment of clothes and gear here.

I was very happy with my new down bag that opens out to a blanket. Very lightweight at 430 grams and packed into a tiny stuff sack. I would not want to use the albergue blankets too close to my skin. I also took a silk liner and an under sheet - all items treated with permethrin. Walked the Portuguese from Lisbon in May. I would take this combination in all but winter months when I personally would need a warmer bag, but then, I doubt if I will walk in winter. The down bag was very expensive but I was very happy with my investment. See my assessment of clothes and gear here.
Wow, your list, details, and photos are fantastic. I really appreciate it. Clearly you have an engineering mind and were very clever with your adaptations. I like that. I am confused about one thing: why did you want merino vests for hot weather?

For what it's worth, my family podiatrist recently told my sister that Merrills are one of the worst shoes made. (We've been wearing them for years). I believe he meant that they were good shoes before they were bought out by another company a few years ago. My old Merrills are very comfortable, but the newest pair of the same shoe is tighter, has a smaller toe box, and, overall, not as good as the old Merrills. Once again, for what it's worth, he suggests New Balance.

I would not want to use the albergue blankets too close to my skin----Pretty sure Albergue Blankets are like the drinking water in the Ganges-- The Gods keep them clean. I always asked if an albergue had a communal toothbrush--none did.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On the Frances this year I stayed at two albergues without blankets. The first was Roncesvalles where the hospitalero told me that they were not allowed to provide them by law. I don´t know whether this is correct, because if it is there are a lot of law breakers out there! I can´t remember where the second one was.

I used a slik liner and a fleece sleeping bag. Sometimes I only used the liner and sometimes I used a blanket as extra. All of course depending on the temperature. In the Pyrenees it was of course much colder than on the Meseta. Not all albergues have blankets, and some smell really bad... The liner could also be washed and dried easily.

€149,-
I am confused about one thing: why did you want merino vests for hot weather?

There may be a difference of interpretation here. I meant a vest top, ie sleeveless t-shirt. I generally stay a lot cooler if my upper arms are exposed, although of course there is an issue of sun burn. They would also be good for sleep wear.

[/QUOTE]For what it's worth, my family podiatrist recently told my sister that Merrills are one of the worst shoes made. (We've been wearing them for years). I believe he meant that they were good shoes before they were bought out by another company a few years ago. My old Merrills are very comfortable, but the newest pair of the same shoe is tighter, has a smaller toe box, and, overall, not as good as the old Merrills. Once again, for what it's worth, he suggests New Balance.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting. I opted for Merrells because they had been recommended by so many people, but of course as soon as I had bought them I came across negative reports. I actually found them very comfortable and don't regret my purchase. Although I don't think I would get two caminos out of a pair of boots, so will most likely be buying another pair later in the year.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Like most things that we acquire over the years, tastes and preferences are very personal. Not every foot fits the same shoe. Not every pilgrim wants to carry their own bedding. I didn't like the feel of the Merrills and ended up with a pair of Salewa. And I carry my own bedding. That's because I can. If at some point I cannot then I won't. There you have it. Simple, just like a long walk.

I took a liner that was essentially a bed sheet sewn together. And a breathable emergency sleeping bag: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0075ZS096/?tag=casaivar02-20

much lighter weight and smaller than a regular sleeping bag.

Not as warm as a sleeping bag would be, but it worked well. Remember too that you can wear layers in bed. Maybe it would be lighter weight to bring some long johns than a whole sleeping bag. They say most of your body heat escapes from your head, so maybe a knit cap?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No guarantees! Still, a sleep sack vice a sleeping bag is the best possibility and worth the chance of no blanket,
Hey, it may be one day in five with no blanket. Are we looking for comfort or s life changing experience?
Motel 6 will leave the light on for you.
On the Camino...you are the light!
Suck it up!!!
Arn

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.