• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Urgent - A few important Questions

William Bidwell

I will be starting my pilgramage shortly and want to travel as light as possible, as original pilgrams would have done.
Will I need to carry an extra battery for my segway or will there be places along the way to charge it up?
Have many other people done the camino on a segway and encountered any particular problems?
Your thoughts please.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In the 9th century, the Segway had a much weaker battery, so a spare was necessary. Today you may not need one. Electrical outlets are everywhere. Whether someone wants to charge your Segway for free is another matter...;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In the spirit of being open to different ideas and practices ... and not inferring your posting is meant as a joke ... I would refer you to the Segway riders guide at www.segway.com/.../Riders_Guide.pdf. In particular, pages 7 and 8, which illustrate conditions found along the camino.

If you posting was meant as a joke, then -- if your goal is to be more like early pilgrim -- I would replace the rubber tires with wooden wheels and replace the mechanical drive system with a mule or horse ... think a Segway chariot.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mmmmm. You might need new packing guidelines. What is 10% of the weight of the Segway?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yesterday two pilgrims arrived in the pilgrims' office having roller-bladed into Santiago from France. There was quite a bit of discussion about whether they qualified for the compostela, because the regs quite clearly state foot, cycle, or horse. The two claimed they were the first to have done the camino on skates, but for the life of me I can't figure out how you can possibly skate the camino unless you stay on the road most of the time. They did get their compostelas btw.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hang on gang. It won't be long before we see "The X Camino", a grueling 500 mile -- no bridges allowed -- Xtreme race across Spain using dirt bikes and ATVs.

Yesterday, I watched a video of a young guy doing the Camino on a penny skateboard. He walked up the hills but you should see him go on the descents! He stuck to the roads of course :)

What happened to the Brits on 4 wheelers? Never saw them but did see pictures of them in June.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Next:
Moving walkways and escalators before and after Roncesvalles, Alto del Perdón, O Cebreiro.
A covered Camino passageway, air-conditioned, isolated from the unreasonable and unpredictable weather;
with nice ambient music (the chirping of little birds is sooooo monotonous....)
Restaurants serving your national specialities, so you feel entirely at home.
Boutique hotel chains, decorated with jacobean motifs, with young and smiling personnel (not cramped albergues and grumpy, tired hospitaleros).
A "Peregrino thematic park" in Monte do Gozo, where tourists can take "selfies" sitting on a bed bunk, or sharing a fake communal meal.
As the Spanish saying goes "Cosas veredes...." (badly translated: just wait and see)

Last edited:
William I believe that you have identified the wrong problem that of an electrical charge. This problem can easily be overcome by a simple 8x4 meter solar panel with back pack attachment.
The real problem identified in the comodium calexotics was that the angle of the dangle on the bipod differential impulse driver was unsuitable for the decent into Molinseca and in the last 800 years this has not been overcome, so sorry for all your obvious problems.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So does this mean William will not be able to take his Segway ? Surely he could get jacotrons to transport it as baggage each day ! That way most of his problems could easily be overcome.:) Simples!;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nice one Falcon you never fail to impress

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yesterday two pilgrims arrived in the pilgrims' office having roller-bladed into Santiago from France. There was quite a bit of discussion about whether they qualified for the compostela, because the regs quite clearly state foot, cycle, or horse. The two claimed they were the first to have done the camino on skates, but for the life of me I can't figure out how you can possibly skate the camino unless you stay on the road most of the time. They did get their compostelas btw.
This business I mentioned above offers its segway service for the last 100 km before Compostela (meaning, I suppose, Sarriá). Obviously, 100 km is "the magic distance"...you know why.

I'd just like to thank everyone for all their support which proves that we can all co exist and share a common space.

I have one more subject for your consideration and would appreciate your feedback.

I've kitted up my segway with a flashing light (orange) and siren so as
to alert pilgrims of my approach so that they can step a side. I am
wondering which siren would be best to use, the police, ambulance or fire
fighter?

here are some of the options

http://soundjax.com/siren-1.html

which would get you out of the way the quickest?

Last edited:
All kidding aside, William, if you are preparing to do your Camino by Segway I, for one, appreciate your efforts to equip yourself with a system to warn pilgrims of your approach. Enough has been said on this Forum about cyclists coming up from behind, with no advance warning whatsoever, and startling pilgrims as they pass by. [From the little I know of Segways, they are extremely (totally?) silent.]

I may be wrong - it’s been known to happen - but I think that by using a Segway on the Camino, you may be, as the saying goes, breaking new ground, at least as far as this Forum’s members go. In my opinion, a simple bicycle bell followed by a polite verbal warning would be sufficient. There have been reports of walking pilgrims being slow / reluctant to move aside for bicyclists and, unfortunately, I think you may also have to be prepared for these eventualities.

I wish you Buen Camino. Charleen

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'd just like to thank everyone for all their support which proves that we can all co exist and share a common space.

I have one more subject for your consideration and would appreciate your feedback.

William,

Prohibition of motorized vehicles on the camino path has been discussed before, including a reply by falcon269. For the benefit of others who are following this thread or may find this thread in the future, have you determined that a Segway is permitted on the camino path, or do you plan to follow parallel roadways?

It's a well-known fact that the Knights Templar used "Hoveround" personal mobility devices and switched to "Rascal scooters" when it was determined the lance holders were incompatible with older models. They eventually switched to "Segways" because of the convenient two-sword holders.

The principle reason for the suppression of the Templars was their refusal to use normal means of transport such as overweight SUV's with tinted windows or camper vans with attached shower blocks. This infuriated the major oil and motor manufacturing companies to the extent that they started avoiding paying taxes. The ruling powers, faced with steadily declining revenues were forced to take action against the direct cause of their falling revues. The rest, as they say, is hysteria.

Recent circumstantial evidence from the UK suggests that Segways are not actually silent in normal operation on non metalled surfaces. This is because of the screams of the riders as various tender parts of their person makes contact with the uneven surface across which they were attempting passage.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back