• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is finishing in Santiago important?

Paul_L

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés Feb-April (2015)
Camino Francés March-April (2020)
This feels like a stupid question, so I'll explain myself. I'm wrestling with the notion of time. I want to be open to the experience of the camino and view it as an experience, not a hike to be conquered (I feel that there are many other adventure treks that provide that opportunity, not that I'm underestimating the physical demands of the camino, I know I will physically struggle).

I've read that people feel that the most enjoyable experience is derived from giving it time.

I've finally taken the plunge and we will be doing the camino as a family (4 adults and five kids from 3-16). However my thinking is leaning in the direction of trying to experience each moment. If that then means that we walk 6km before discovering something incredible, then so be it. Similarly if we are inspired and walk over 25km, genuinely enjoying each moment then once again, so be it. It just feels strange the notion that we would push ourselves to complete the whole camino and consequently compromise the daily experience. This has led me in the direction to not think so much about how far we will walk, but how long we will be there. The point for me though is, does it matter if we don't finish in Santiago? I'd love the ideas of others who have already answered this question for themselves. Am I missing the central idea of pilgrimage ending in a destination? Something isn't ringing correctly in my own thinking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
. I want to be open to the experience of the camino and view it as an experience, not a hike to be conquered

I've finally taken the plunge and we will be doing the camino as a family (4 adults and five kids from 3-16). However my thinking is leaning in the direction of trying to experience each moment. If that then means that we walk 6km before discovering something incredible, then so be it. Similarly if we are inspired and walk over 25km, genuinely enjoying each moment then once again, so be it. It just feels strange the notion that we would push ourselves to complete the whole camino and consequently compromise the daily experience. This has led me in the direction to not think so much about how far we will walk, but how long we will be there. The point for me though is, does it matter if we don't finish in Santiago? I'd love the ideas of others who have already answered this question for themselves. Am I missing the central idea of pilgrimage ending in a destination? Something isn't ringing correctly in my own thinking.

Hi Paul,
It really sounds to me as if you have answered your own question here. It is the journey and not the destination ( at least not the physical destination) which is important. My wife and I have been doing the same thinking as you... The camino is something we want to do for the experience, but we do not see that it has to be a hardship or an endurance test. We are going to do it over a number of years in manageable stages. We may even skip areas, or walk extra kms in the mountains or national parks.

From what I can deduce, everyone's camino is their own experience and so the goal is yours to set... You may well find that it changes once you're on your 'Way'

This feels like a stupid question, so I'll explain myself. I'm wrestling with the notion of time. I want to be open to the experience of the camino and view it as an experience, not a hike to be conquered (I feel that there are many other adventure treks that provide that opportunity, not that I'm underestimating the physical demands of the camino, I know I will physically struggle).

I've read that people feel that the most enjoyable experience is derived from giving it time.

Paul:

It depends on why you are walking. If it is for religious reasons, then I would say arriving in Santiago and completing the Pilgrimage is important.

Should your family and you be walking as a family event/vacation etc., It is nice to spend a couple of days in Santiago to relax and enjoy time with those you have met along the way. That said, if this is just a family event, I think the family interaction is important and arriving in Santiago a bonus. You will definitely be creating memories.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Paul, in my view the journey is the destination.

Although Santiago is a very special place for me I have walked numerous Caminos that do not end there. Those journeys were not at all diminished by finishing somewhere along the way.

If you take things day by day, then each becomes a little Camino of its own.

Paul:

It depends on why you are walking. If it is for religious reasons, then I would say arriving in Santiago and completing the Pilgrimage is important.

Should your family and you be walking as a family event/vacation etc., It is nice to spend a couple of days in Santiago to relax and spend time with those you have met along the way. That said, if this is just a family event, I think the family interaction is important and arriving in Santiago a bonus. You will definitely be creating memories.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi Joe, there are many people who walk a Camino for religious reasons but don't always intend to finish in Santiago -- myself included. I consider the whole path a sacred site because it has been walked in faith by millions. In addition there are many very special churches and places with religious significance all along the Camino, and not just on the Camino Frances.

So please don't suggest that Santiago is the only religiously valid destination.

Everyone gains differently from their camino and I suppose they get these gains at different times and in different places. As well as anything else I gain visiting Santiago is important to me as I find great peace and strength from praying at his tomb.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
For me the destination (Santiago de Compostela and the Cathedral) is as important than the journey.

Hi Joe, there are many people who walk a Camino for religious reasons but don't always intend to finish in Santiago -- myself included. I consider the whole path a sacred site because it has been walked in faith by millions. In addition there are many very special churches and places with religious significance all along the Camino, and not just on the Camino Frances.

So please don't suggest that Santiago is the only religiously valid destination.

Kanga:

In my opinion, Santiago is the final religious destination of the "Camino de Santiago". While there are many other religious related destinations along the way, the Journey in the past and currently is to Santiago and Saint James's tomb. Walks as you describe, imo, are Camino's to those destinations and no less important to you or any other individual with that destination in mind.

If I am going to Lourdes, the final destination is Lourdes. The same would go for Fatima, Rome, Jerusalem or the moon.

There are many who walk for other reasons, Sport, Finistere, because it is there etc. etc..

You have a different point of view, I respect that.

I would ask that you respect my opinion, which appears to be different or maybe misunderstood.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I never cared about finishing, but many - maybe most - find it important. I like to congratulate finishers, though it doesn't do anything for me. Maybe because I'm half a dawdling tourist and half a pilg. As it turned out I did get to Santiago twice, via both Le Puy/CF and Portugues. Nice place.

I do like starts, however! You know, I wouldn't mind beginning my next one from St James Church in Sydney, then walking to the airport. I've got a thing about starts.

I just don't seem to have the destination gene. My first pilgrimage was not really on purpose, I just walked from the Bastille to Saint Denis, then realised I'd done a pilgrimage. My first conscious pilgrimage was walking along the VF within the walls of Siena after running into members of the VF society.

I dunno, I just like the walking on pilgrim trails. If I end up somewhere like Rome or Santiago that's fine...but I don't really care about finishing. Couldn't tell you why.

Paul, for me it was always the way and never the destination.

So however far you wish you go, enjoy it and smell the roses along the way. As you are walking as a family with rather young ones, I would say take your time. You may then choose to come back later and do a bit more walking. A three-year old may need quite some attention. Are you prepared to carry the child on your back(s), when/if the child does not wish to walk further?

annelise

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Being that I am Christian & just not Catholic, I have a bit of a different perspective. I walked this spring, but like many on this topic you may find the spirit is everywhere along the route. I simply found that softening my heart seemed to provide an amazing experience.
My most incredible Christian experience was not in Santiago but rather when continuing by foot to the coast.
I found the compestella just to be something that is a piece of paper, the true experience for me was the journey. I wish you well on your journey as it is as individual as you are.
Keith

I'm curious why you chose the Camino de Santiago for an extended family outing? Not that you should NOT choose this route but it may not be the most interesting thing for the really little ones. There are other means by which a family can have an interactive experience like this. There are incredible locations all over the world perhaps more suited for families with a wide variety of ages. National Parks come to mind where there are interpretive and interactive activities all day long.
If you're set on the Way of Saint James, it is YOUR journey. I personally don't hold any agenda for how anyone should take this on. Finish or not, it does not matter. Remember Lao Tzu (or at least I think so) "The greatest journey begins with a single step.

Paul, in my view the journey is the destination.

If you take things day by day, then each becomes a little Camino of its own.

Kanga,
It's my view that any pilgrim who reads your words in this quote, will be given the opportunity to become instantly wiser about a possible attitude towards their Camino.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Paul,
It really sounds to me as if you have answered your own question here. It is the journey and not the destination ( at least not the physical destination) which is important. My wife and I have been doing the same thinking as you... The camino is something we want to do for the experience, but we do not see that it has to be a hardship or an endurance test. We are going to do it over a number of years in manageable stages. We may even skip areas, or walk extra kms in the mountains or national parks.

From what I can deduce, everyone's camino is their own experience and so the goal is yours to set... You may well find that it changes once you're on your 'Way'

That's where you problem could lie, your traveling with nine people who might have different outlooks . I'll be walking with my daughter who's in her 20's but still my baby, and we've started to talk about how walking at you own pace is so important for your feet's sake alone. I want her to have her own camino. It might be very important to the teenagers to receive a Compostela . Talk to your future fellow peragrinos . As for me (my name is also Paul) less is more, skipping doesn't sound like fun and I really want that piece of paper to be part of this families history. Whatever you do the camino's the right place for it this site more than proves that. Buena Suerte.

Once again falcon269 hit the nail on the head. "You know what is important to you. Knowing what is important to me is unimportant". I would add only to keep an open mind and heart, as what seems important on any given day may change along the way.

With some trepidation because I am nudging rule 2: Jesus said "I am the Way", and you will encounter Him in those you meet. Sufficient pilgrimage in my opinion, though personally Santiago is important to me - St James being an old friend of mine.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm curious why you chose the Camino de Santiago for an extended family outing? Not that you should NOT choose this route but it may not be the most interesting thing for the really little ones. There are other means by which a family can have an interactive experience like this. There are incredible locations all over the world perhaps more suited for families with a wide variety of ages. National Parks come to mind where there are interpretive and interactive activities all day long.
If you're set on the Way of Saint James, it is YOUR journey. I personally don't hold any agenda for how anyone should take this on. Finish or not, it does not matter. Remember Lao Tzu (or at least I think so) "The greatest journey begins with a single step.
The Camino is something very important to my wife and my eldest girls. My sons 11 and 3 don't seem to care either way, although the 3 year old loves walking. (Probably more than anyone else in the family!) We walk a lot as a family and walk in national parks and other tracks (state forests too in NSW, Australia). They are very different to how we envision the Camino.

Sharing a path of faith is extremely important. As a family we have been somewhat distant from any institutional church, however have maintained a Christian faith. The collective movement towards Santiago and what it means to us, with daily effort and reflection, combined with the communal movement as a family, is very special. Being open to the transformative nature of the Camino is something alluring, and perhaps intimidating. I want to be radically open to the experience, to listen to how God will communicate and allow myself to genuinely respond. I feel that attempting to place a time frame on when I will be open to the Camino is counterproductive.

I openly acknowledge with my family that each of our individual Caminos are all valid, and both individual and collective. I'm conscious that I don't want my camino to detract from theirs, and similarly theirs with mine.

Last edited:
Paul, for me it was always the way and never the destination.

So however far you wish you go, enjoy it and smell the roses along the way. As you are walking as a family with rather young ones, I would say take your time. You may then choose to come back later and do a bit more walking. A three-year old may need quite some attention. Are you prepared to carry the child on your back(s), when/if the child does not wish to walk further?

annelise
We walk quite a bit. He's only 2 1/2 now and he almost always walks (he seems to only know how to run which makes things a challenge!) about 12km before getting tired (bush tracks with limited incline/decline) when he crashes very quickly. We are quite used to both carrying and chasing him. He tends to sleep for an hour or so, and then is keen to go again. So far it's a perfect pattern for walking for our family, and I'm optimistic that it will lend itself well to the Camino routine. We are giving ourselves about 60 days too, to allow for numerous short days (especially when we know that enough is enough) and rest days, as well as anticipating staying in a variety of different types of accommodation to cater for both ourselves and fellow pilgrims.

The pilgrimage is in your mind and hart! And I think you already have that - and have made the answer by yourself! I'm in Ponferrada right here and now, with my 16 yr old daughter. There have been everything between 7 km' and 22 km's since we started in Pamplona. We stayed two days in a small village, two in Sahagún and another two in Leon, just because we needed that. Now, today we will take a train to Sarria so we will have enough time to Santiago. Just because we have two boxes in the postoffice - to get. My aunt went with us when we started in Pamplona 24th of June, but She had to go back to Sweden after 10 days. There have been train and buses. We have met people who have had one or two weeks, they do a small part depending of their time and how far the body manage that time and come back an do next and next part... You can start and stop whereever you like and it works for your family. Only those who needs the credential as a proof ends up in Santiago. And for that you have to do the last 100 km from Sarria in one time. If you do it now or then...it's up to you.
Take the time and distance's that suits you and your family. Discover Flowers, birds and all those other exiting things that happends on the camino! I wish you all a WONDERFUL camino! Pax et Bonum! ❤

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It shouldn't be, but every time I get there I walk right into the start of the Botefumero, just like in the movies.

:eek:OMG, are you really gonna let a 3 year old walk all the way ? Please tell me you are taking some form of buggy for the kid? Or are you prepared to carry him? And your backpack?

pfjew...

:eek:OMG, are you really gonna let a 3 year old walk all the way ? Please tell me you are taking some form of buggy for the kid? Or are you prepared to carry him? And your backpack?

pfjew...
We are going to let him walk as far as he wants to, then we will carry him, rest or call it a day and stay somewhere when possible. He seems to like the view from my shoulders. :)
We might go the buggy or chariot path, but I've heard from others that the buggies and chariots end up being more hassle than they are worth.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We walk quite a bit. He's only 2 1/2 now and he almost always walks (he seems to only know how to run which makes things a challenge!) about 12km before getting tired (bush tracks with limited incline/decline) when he crashes very quickly. We are quite used to both carrying and chasing him. He tends to sleep for an hour or so, and then is keen to go again. So far it's a perfect pattern for walking for our family, and I'm optimistic that it will lend itself well to the Camino routine. We are giving ourselves about 60 days too, to allow for numerous short days (especially when we know that enough is enough) and rest days, as well as anticipating staying in a variety of different types of accommodation to cater for both ourselves and fellow pilgrims.

Paul, with 60 days in hand I think you have allowed plenty of time to get all the way to Santiago, even with a 3 year old, and you do not have to make a choice.

What a gift!
I believe that you will lay such a wonderful foundation in the life a child., creating such a momentous shared experience that will be the source of inspiration and strength for the rest of their lives.
Good on ya, buen camino!!

Dax
In Pune, (a work in progress)

With some trepidation because I am nudging rule 2: Jesus said "I am the Way", and you will encounter Him in those you meet. Sufficient pilgrimage in my opinion, though personally Santiago is important to me - St James being an old friend of mine.
I think it's almost necessary to "nudge rule 2"! If the dialog in a thread such as this is enlightening then the differences in each person's post can be just that, enlightening and not necessarily become contrary.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Regarding Rule 2 as long as people comment with their own opinion and do not try to criticise others' opinions, this type of discussion can continue as long as people wish. It is when people insist that their own opinion is the one and only one that things get difficult and we have to apply the rule.

My own point of view is that I get more out of the journey than the arrival but getting to the destination does matter to me.

I've finally taken the plunge and we will be doing the camino as a family (4 adults and five kids from 3-16). However my thinking is leaning in the direction of trying to experience each moment. If that then means that we walk 6km before discovering something incredible, then so be it. Similarly if we are inspired and walk over 25km, genuinely enjoying each moment then once again, so be it. It just feels strange the notion that we would push ourselves to complete the whole camino and consequently compromise the daily experience. This has led me in the direction to not think so much about how far we will walk, but how long we will be there. The point for me though is, does it matter if we don't finish in Santiago? I'd love the ideas of others who have already answered this question for themselves. Am I missing the central idea of pilgrimage ending in a destination? Something isn't ringing correctly in my own thinking.[/QUOT

Hi Paul,
I have done part of the Camino twice, each time ending in Santiago.
The Camino is an amazing experience , I personally think you would be missing out if you didn't at least visit Santiago.

Last edited by a moderator:
... I've finally taken the plunge and we will be doing the camino as a family (4 adults and five kids from 3-16). However my thinking is leaning in the direction of trying to experience each moment. If that then means that we walk 6km before discovering something incredible, then so be it. Similarly if we are inspired and walk over 25km, genuinely enjoying each moment then once again, so be it. It just feels strange the notion that we would push ourselves to complete the whole camino and consequently compromise the daily experience...
Please don't compromise anything -- listen to your own feelings and let the Camino guide you. At some point you'll know what makes the most sense for you and your family!
When will you be walking? I wouldn't want to take any time away from your experiences, but it would be lovely to see a couple of photos and / or read a few words about how you all are doing --
Buen Camino!!
Terry

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Paul,
Good luck with your journey whatever path you choose. As you expressed an interest in the idea's/feelings of others on the subject here's what I've experienced on my caminos so far. Whenever things get a little tough-and that covers my own mood, physical challenges and weather- then SDC seems to acts as a magnate providing a steady constant to focus on-and the closer I get the stronger the feel of that 'pull'. Having said that at the end of my current Camino- and once I've paid my respects to Santiago-the 'reward' to myself will be to walk on to be walk on to Fisterra and have a dip in the Atlantic.

What a gift!
I believe that you will lay such a wonderful foundation in the life a child., creating such a momentous shared experience that will be the source of inspiration and strength for the rest of their lives.
Good on ya, buen camino!!
Yes indeed. You could take this a bit further and say it could be a reason for deliberately not finishing. That could be something you leave for your children to do for themselves when they're old enough, forming a symbolic link between their dependent childhoods and the independence of adulthood. A rite of passage as such.

When I came back from my most recent Camino in May I posted my photos on Facebook under the heading 'Camino de Santiago IV - or should that be VIII?'. That's because for the four Compostelas I've received, I've been on the Camino four other times to walk to Finisterre or litter-picking in Palencia. These all feel like Caminos to me, I enter that 'pilgrim' state of mind and I wear my scallop shell. I love Santiago and finishing has been important where it was relevant, but the important transformative stuff is just as likely to be found elsewhere.

Also be aware than children under 8 do not get a Compostela, no matter how far they have walked. It is a religious matter; until they are 8 they are not considered to have the intellectual understanding necessary. They may be eligible for the distance certificate or the non religious certificate - anyone know?

€60,-
Having just finished my Camino in Santiago, I have to admit the 'finish line' for me anyway was a bit of a let down.

Perhaps I was expecting too much of Santiago and didn't allow myself much time to enjoy the journey there.

Last edited:
Also be aware than children under 8 do not get a Compostela, no matter how far they have walked. It is a religious matter; until they are 8 they are not considered to have the intellectual understanding necessary. They may be eligible for the distance certificate or the non religious certificate - anyone know?
I've been reading about that tonight, how incredible the timing. Thank you for thinking of us.

Whilst I understand that my two little ones won't get one, is there any problem with them getting a passport and getting it stamped? I think it will be their Compostela.

Pilgrimage is also communal. It is an act of becoming. By disdaining the common goal you disdain the goal of the millions of others that preceded you. I think you should finish in Santiago.

And I prefer to buy my gas from British Gas.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've been reading about that tonight, how incredible the timing. Thank you for thinking of us.

Whilst I understand that my two little ones won't get one, is there any problem with them getting a passport and getting it stamped? I think it will be their Compostela.

A good idea, and there is no problem the children having them; in fact they need them to sleep in the albergues. I am sure Ivar (see button on top of the forum to "shop") will send you as many as you request.

....mixed bag answer : walk as far as you want towards Santiago leaving yourselves a few days at the end. Take a bus from where you wind up to Santiago. It's well worth "being part" of that...you'll see people you've met earlier on and it's quite fantastic. The Pilgrim's Mass is something to see also. IMHO, walking from SJPP, I could have done without the Sarria to Santiago leg. A whole different vibe going on. I was glad to rekindle the feeling I had from SJPP to Sarria by continuing on after Santiago and walking to Finisterre and Muxia

Don't worry about the 3 year old. In June we had the blind guy from Finland walking with his wife who pushed a buggy with 2 children in it; we also had the 2 young women carrying backpacks and their 5 month old babies they nursed along the way . It's a long walk, not a difficult walk.

Santiago--amazed how many people we started with in SJPDP talked about quitting during the last 50 kilometers before Santiago. Best part of ending in Santiago was meeting with all of our friends who walked with us during parts of the trip from SJPDP. One evening in Santiago we had 19 of us sitting in one bar telling stories and laughing about parts of the walk---like the Albergue guests vs the Village people conflict! Hikers won that one.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
!!! Hey! I have to tell you! Yesterday we had the pleasure to meet a german family! They had 4 children, 1, 4, 6 and 9. They were doin' the camino from Sarria t Santiago. They had it great! To day we met an english fam, 4, 7 and maybe 9 or 10!
Best regards from Arura, 40 km to go...

Dear Paul, you will do just fine, whatever route or distance you will choose - as long as it is the one that suites you. Camino is a wonderful experience and especially if you are lucky enough to be able to do it with your family. I'm sure you will find your way :)

PS. I'm the lady mentioned before: pushing two children (3 and 4 years old) in a buggy with my blind husband and his guide dog.

€60,-
Welcome to the Forum, Valeriina ;)

Valeriina and her family are the real heroes.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6731502363/
Take a look at her profile (family) picture taken at the zero km in Finisterre.

Hi Valeriina, as Annie says, a big welcome to the forum. I told the other two ex-hospitaleros at Rabanal that I had seen you again in Compostela, and they were proud of you that you had made it so far. Then I told them that you had gone on to Finisterre! Much respect.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Buen Camino!
This will be a marvelous experience for you all!
I will be
Dear Paul, you will do just fine, whatever route or distance you will choose - as long as it is the one that suites you. Camino is a wonderful experience and especially if you are lucky enough to be able to do it with your family. I'm sure you will find your way :)

PS. I'm the lady mentioned before: pushing two children (3 and 4 years old) in a buggy with my blind husband and his guide dog.

I feel so fortunate to have heard your story and to see this picture!
What a beautiful family!

Wow! So inspiring. Thank you for your encouragement.

We've been debating buggy or carrier. I can see positives with either. How have you found the terrain for a buggy?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
!!! Hey! I have to tell you! Yesterday we had the pleasure to meet a german family! They had 4 children, 1, 4, 6 and 9. They were doin' the camino from Sarria t Santiago. They had it great! To day we met an english fam, 4, 7 and maybe 9 or 10!
Best regards from Arura, 40 km to go...
Awesome. We are getting really excited now. I'm very heartened by all of the responses. I don't doubt the pull of Santiago and how significant it will be to get there. I love that now I can see the destination will be Santiago, however the time frame will not be mine to set. We may have to return to finish, but we will. Hopefully this time, but maybe next. So exciting.

A big thank you to everyone who has replied. I find every response a gift, and have been uplifted by the encouragement.

Wow! So inspiring. Thank you for your encouragement.

We've been debating buggy or carrier. We've been debating buggy or carrier. I can see positives with either. How have you found the terrain for a buggy?

We have tried them both. Last year we did some walks with both of our children in a carrier. My husband carried the girl (age 3 at the time) and I had our boy (two at the time). They were too heavy and especially our son didn’t want to sit still. He was swinging around all the time which made carrying much harder. And both of them had been in a carrier since they were 6 months old – so they had been practicing and so had we.

We had P.O.D’s Joggers (http://www.babyjogger.com/product/pod-chassis/) which suited our needs very well. Of course, sometimes one had use some muscle to get through bigger stones, uneven surfaces, hills and such… There were only few paths that were too narrow for the buggy. I didn’t see that as a problem. We started our camino with the thought, that the routes were not optimized for buggies. What problems we might encounter, we would go through or around ;)

You could try them both, lend of rent before buying (if you don’t have them already)? You’ll know what suites you the best. Both options are good :)

For us, it was important to complete our camino without any outside help. We needed to carry all the clothes etc. of four people + all that you need to pack for a dog, including about 3 kilos of dog food. And the kids had their own little back bags full of toys in the buggy, too. So, for us the choice was quite easy. We couldn’t have done it with carriers.

Valeriina!!!

Glad to hear you made it! We were really worried in Santiago as your family seemed to have disappeared. There was a rumor that you had to stop because your dog was sick. Your family was an inspiration to hundreds of hikers ...and to local people. It was an honor to have shared the walk with you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If I had the money I would have taken my kids when they were small. I was all about putting experiences into my boys lives, making memories. You will have a great time even if you don't get all the way to Santiago.
How much does it mean to you to get to the end? Enjoy each day with your family no matter what happens...

Valeriina, you are wonderful! Your family has inspired us all. I am so pleased you are on this forum; we often get inquiries from parents with young children who would like to walk the Camino. Your experience is unique.

My question - I gather your husband joyed it and the children were fine, but how was it for you?

Valeriina, you are wonderful! Your family has inspired us all. I am so pleased you are on this forum; we often get inquiries from parents with young children who would like to walk the Camino. Your experience is unique.

My question - I gather your husband joyed it and the children were fine, but how was it for you?

I assume my experience was unique, as it is for everyone. My camino was rewarding and challenging. It was different from most pilgrims, I suppose. Walking and pushing the buggy was hard - especially hills were hard to push up (and down). But the more we walked, the easier it game. When we got to the hostal / albergue / hotel we had booked before, unlike others, we couldn't sit down and relax. I and my husband might had been tired, but our kids were full of energy :D So we had a shower, did some laundry, ate "menu del dia" and went to the nearest playground. And before 8 p.m. we went to sleep. :)

On our last night in Santiago, I realized that we hadn't experienced the warm and dark nights of Spain - not once. I had wanted to see those, because the summers here are bright. But it was ok. We were able to see camino from totally different angle than most peregrinos. We met hundreds of new people and got many great friends. Every time we needed help, we got it. We were really lucky with accommodation (not easy with a guide dog, almost impossible with a pet dog), paths, weather, company etc. I'm sure, that we got more from camino than what we gave to it. It was an experience I will carry with me the rest of my life.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I assume my experience was unique, as it is for everyone. My camino was rewarding and challenging. It was different from most pilgrims, I suppose. Walking and pushing the buggy was hard - especially hills were hard to push up (and down). But the more we walked, the easier it game. When we got to the hostal / albergue / hotel we had booked before, unlike others, we couldn't sit down and relax. I and my husband might had been tired, but our kids were full of energy :D So we had a shower, did some laundry, ate "menu del dia" and went to the nearest playground. And before 8 p.m. we went to sleep. :)

On our last night in Santiago, I realized that we hadn't experienced the warm and dark nights of Spain - not once. I had wanted to see those, because the summers here are bright. But it was ok. We were able to see camino from totally different angle than most peregrinos. We met hundreds of new people and got many great friends. Every time we needed help, we got it. We were really lucky with accommodation (not easy with a guide dog, almost impossible with a pet dog), paths, weather, company etc. I'm sure, that we got more from camino than what we gave to it. It was an experience I will carry with me the rest of my life.

And I think you are courageous and wonderful. We are blessed indeed to have you among us. All joy to you.

Paul L

As for your original question, to my wife and I it was important to finish in Santiago for religious reasons. To see the burial place of St. James was just too good to miss for us :)

As for the side-tracked conversation about your 3 year old, maybe I can convince my wife to go back next year and we could help carry/push your children :) Gonna be hard to convince my wife to go at that time of the year though :eek:

Buen Camino !!!

I wanted to do an actual Catholic pilgrimage so I made it important to finish in Santiago. However, I built extra days into the schedule because I knew my son would get bored with just walking. We could have done more distance, but that wasn't the point.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back