• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino amnesia

W

Wanderer64

If memory serves me currently, and it likely doesn’t, it was a year ago to the day that I left my home, boarded a plane from Vancouver to Paris, and then to SJPDP via Bordeaux and Bayonne to begin my Camino. What I remember most about getting there is how badly I just wanted to get there and start walking. The remainder of my Camino is hard to recall. No, I don’t suffer early onset Alzheimer’s. There are trips, hikes, walks I did 20, even 30 years ago that burn as vivid as ever in my mind. But there is something about my Camino that has left me struggling to remember. What I do remember are generalities; I remember the first day over the Pyrenees, its bucolic vistas and pastoral beauty. That first day, from SJPDP to Roncesvalles, will always be one of the greatest single days of walking I’ll ever do, and I’ve done a few good ones the world over. After Roncesvalles, memory deteriorates into a 32-day series of broken dreams, punctuated by somewhat wakeful moments in the big cities, Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Santiago.... And just to stem any speculation about my drinking habits, the answer is no. I was not perpetually drunk along the Way, although, to be sure, I enjoyed a few bottles of vino tinto and countless glasses of cold beer, but my amnesia is not attributable to a drunken haze. So what is it about the Camino -- my Camino -- that makes it hard for me to remember much of what is sure to be the most epic walk I’ll ever do? I’ve spent the last few days trying to answer this question. The Camino was not a bad experience, nothing traumatic happened to me along the Way, my subconscious is not repressing negative memories. Granted, it wasn’t always a good experience. I suffered a couple minor injuries, sometimes struggled to get through a day, and had the misfortune of being in an albergue that was pillaged by thieves (thankfully not my stuff or money), but overall a very positive life experience.

My first post to this forum was just after I completed my Camino, in September, 2013. At that time, memories were still very fresh and I described my long walk as an “existential odyssey of self-reflection and meditation.” Perhaps, therein lays the answer to my Camino amnesia questions. Meditation. For some, walking long distances is very much about all sorts of things, about the social connections to be had along the way, but for an introvert like me, walking is always about getting away from the social, getting away from the noise, away from the distractions of what has become an increasingly less-private, technologically invasive world. When I embarked on my Camino, I was in a bad head space, I needed to withdraw and think, or better, not think, just listen to my footsteps and let 800km of Spanish countryside wash over me with a minimal distraction and social noise. Much of my Camino was dream-like, a pleasant, extended trance of nothingness. Sometimes not remembering for no particular reason is a good thing. Sometimes clearing the mind to the point of existential anti-remembrance is the most therapeutic cure available to one in need of something.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks very much for this wonderfully deep insight.
I am a work in progress, preparing for my November on the Way of Saint James.
May I please ask you about the spiritual dimension to your camino, if it's not too personal?

Dax
In Pune, (a work in progress)

Hi Wanderer64,
I live close to you - up on the Sunshine Coast (as we laughingly call it) - and relate completely to so much you said. As it happens I have walked the Camino Frances more than once (4 times actually) but still my most vivid memories are the walk up from SJPP, over the Route Napoleon. This part of the walk has come to symbolize the camino for me. I still have only a vague idea of which cities come first and even what a particular village looks like. I still couldn't walk the walk without the yellow arrows. I have many vivid snapshots in my head as you possibly do, but can't place them for sure as a specific town or location.

But that's not why I walk. I am not religious in the traditional sense because I don't know how to be and it would be a pretense. But I walk to connect with a power higher than myself. I walk to have my own space and get away from thinking and figuring and analyzing. I walk to get a feel for the country, the people and the place. I walk to enjoy the outdoors and the beautiful flowers. I walk to enjoy time with other pilgrims without any intention of holding on to them as long term friends. Sometimes that happens but most times it doesn't - even though I cherish some of the conversations as among the most interesting and even important I have had. In part the pilgrimage walks are to turn into myself, to see who I really am when I'm not busy earning a living or looking after those I think I should. maybe that's just my version of what you just said.

The specific names and places are, for whatever reason, unimportant to me on these walks. The details are vague but the experience is not. The experience is vivid and intense and dreamlike. The experience feeds me and soothes my soul until I get to walk again - although probably not the Camino Frances again. I keep trying to figure out how I can do the Route Napoleon and then walk some other route.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I enjoyed thinking about my them along with my own experience.
Cecelia
PS. The Canadian Company of Pilgrims does have meetings in Vancouver (or area) twice a year to pass help newcomers with any questions they might have. Everyone interested is welcome to come.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In part the pilgrimage walks are to turn into myself, to see who I really am when I'm not busy earning a living or looking after those I think I should.
That was a liberating part of the pilgrimage for me; I was responsible for nothing except myself. When I got home, I could willingly accept my obligations because I not longer viewed them as being imposed on me. I chose them.

WOW!! I can see doing a Camino for all sorts of reasons, including getting away from the noise and clamor of life but to have only a sporadic memory, and then particularly of the cities???? That's difficult. While I did walk for a specific purpose and it was for religious reasons (that's a very ephemeral and misquoted phrase) over and over all I have to do is turn on my personal "YouTube" and every details appears. And almost a year later they're as vivid as they were then, sometimes even more.

Last edited:
May I please ask you about the spiritual dimension to your camino, if it's not too personal?

Hello Dax,

You are free to ask, but I'm not sure how helpful or insightful my answer will be. The term "spiritual" has become so ubiquitous in modern popular culture, it seems to have lost it's meaning, for me anyway. It pretty much denotes any/all positive or good subjective experience, metaphysics and religion notwithstanding. I guess I would describe my Camino experience as very subjective and meanginful in very personal ways.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Wanderer64, I have many vivid snapshots in my head as you possibly do, but can't place them for sure as a specific town or location.... But that's not why I walk. I am not religious in the traditional sense because I don't know how to be and it would be a pretense. But I walk to connect with a power higher than myself. I walk to have my own space and get away from thinking and figuring and analyzing. I walk to get a feel for the country, the people and the place. I walk to enjoy the outdoors and the beautiful flowers. I walk to... The specific names and places are, for whatever reason, unimportant to me on these walks. The details are vague but the experience is not.

Dear Cecelia,

Thanks for your kindred reply. Your comments actually help me understand my experience a bit better. A failure to recall specific town names, details or other Camino experiences in no way diminishes the relevance of those things; in some ways this vagueness helps amplify the broader truth, i.e., my Camino truth, that the whole experience is much greater and more significant than the sum of its details and parts.

Hi
I walked it last year and a lot of my walk are just flashes as I was ill for half the trip and floated in and out as I lived on pain killers, my Camino was a great joy to me and I look at the photos I took even though these were fewer with the last weeks before going to hospital. But I am back in 4 weeks and am as excited as before even more so. My problem is I am not sure if I will stop this time but most of all I will enjoy it with no expectations I cannot be disappointed it.
Bring it on. Yes my wife thinks I am a silly old fART.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.