• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in Faith (not what you think)..

William Garza

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
I traveled extensively in the States since i turned 21 I had drove a truck. Many times, many situations i walked in Faith..Faith that a fellow man would be watching my back and be there when I needed it, and i was never let down. For every shadowed valley I walked in, there was always,Always someone there to step up to the line and watch over, to help with a light in the darkness, to show me a way back to the road.
I think,,IMHO that many are seeking this on the Camino, The pilgrims road, the way.
the search for something better

the search for something lost
to be found

The knowledge, deep, sure and abiding that there is a better world
hidden just there, behind the madding coil

I asked only one thing on my first road, to be a good man, to hurt no man, and when the time came, to help my fellow man in their time of need.

I think that there is a point when a person tires of walking alone in darkened fields, and desires redemption, desires to be alone inside with themselves, outside of themselves.

Pilgrimage, a rest stop
Pilgrimage a fuel stop
but in itself,is not a stop
but a step further on the next road in life.

I think in reading the posts, that many never really step off the road, they are always and ever on the road
something inside still calls them back to the..way

The Road is always in you, once you travel into the path, a bigger, better truth is opened with the opened heart,
trust
hope
honesty, within and throughout yourself
and if your lucky
it changes you forever.
Peace to you all and if I have offended, it is not my intention.
Peace

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Your Welcome Annie. as I read about the experiences and travails in all the lucky ones who've gone before, i find kindred spirits, and after looking at You Tube videos of other pilgrims, i felt like i was coming home to a warm hearth and a open door.
My Traveling Companion had traveled many roads before me and was like an Angel a phone call away when it all became too much to bear the burdens of being on the road for months at a time.
You have yourself for company, and within that company, your voice emerges...the voice that doesn't have to make the compromises to Caesar
Doesn't yell at the world for the disharmony and grief

You have other humans..just 'being"
I tend to think that Honesty, Generosity, Good will toward men and a common goodness prevail on the travail/s when all have the common sufferance.
that vague understanding growing clearer as the days grow long and silent.

that vague and uneasy grease on the soul is burnt and washed gently away, to be replaced by a new clean.. the understanding growing and affirming each and every mile.

The vague-ness of compromise
the Vaguery of having to limit yourself
the looking at life through camera obscura, that darkened chamber of existence in the out side world..
But what of the "within"?

one fine day, find yourself no longer hidden beneath
but
finding yourself in
a bigger throughout

that is part of what draws me.

I have not gone forth yet on this path
but I know I can
I have the indelible mark upon my soul like a beacon drawing toward the road.

One day
the crunch of gravel under my boots
the gentle tic tic tic of the walking sticks
the susurration of the wind,
my breath,,
the waters under bridges
the smell of the wind of a foreign land
the taste of honey from hidden flowers
the cool of the waters from clouds over me
will find my feet trodding the ancient steps of those before me
and I will smile.
as i lay my burdens aside and find my self trusting that
with my own feet,
beating heart,
mind clear of clutter
I will be a Pilgrim.
Peace

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I traveled extensively in the States since i turned 21 I had drove a truck. Many times, many situations i walked in Faith..Faith that a fellow man would be watching my back and be there when I needed it, and i was never let down. For every shadowed valley I walked in, there was always,Always someone there to step up to the line and watch over, to help with a light in the darkness, to show me a way back to the road.
I think,,IMHO that many are seeking this on the Camino, The pilgrims road, the way.
the search for something better

)

Well you nailed it brother.
Your unique insight is priceless, it is fresh and timeless.

I just happened to be listening to Thunder Road when I read this - I think that you have tapped into the everlasting here.

Thank you so much

I bet you stop to pick up Hitch Hikers like I do.

Xin loi. I used to..that is until i was threatened at knife point. well ime big and was able to talk him out of the thought floating round his head, size can matter. sad though.
I do give till it hurts though, my Louisiana friend once said that he couldn't figure out if it was a soft head, or soft heart!
I still don't know
but i do stop at every chance to help a fellow traveler

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Daxzentzu
Thank you for the lift!
There was a point where I stopped taking and began giving back, that was when I learned the value of a quiet word, a pat on the back and a silent heart when listening went further to pay back what I was given.
The experience was worth the pain..which was replaced by peace.
The everlasting..
It is out "there" away from "here"
when a person has a chance to breath without a bye or leave to the world
when a person has a chance to choose without offering offence to someone or some ideal
when a person has a chance to go forward without some self imposed limit

the only limits I found were those I had put up in my mind,spirit and body
In my mind cause I had "heard" it couldn't be done.
In my spirit, because I had once run up against some issue as a youngster, and was impressed that the essential "I" couldn't do it..
there is really no I in my dialogue, mine is to give, a "we" a "us" always them first..."I" never figured in,
but found that to give "I' had to exist in order to give.
In my body, i always pushed and see if i could go further..
as i got closer to the edge, I found more of me, more of the essential component needed to give, to find out what and who i am,
the more closer to exhaustion i got, the more things became clear, extraneous thoughts, feelings and sentiments fell by the way
the purity of purpose burned before me,
time and again.

It was my first road, 20 years long.
I learned what really matters
and what doesn't.

out there on some highway, participating, living the moment in some beautiful sunset. exhausted, drained of all ego and desire, peace came.
It was what I had been seeking all along, to restore my inner balance, some inner peace.

I wonder if that happens to some, out there on some lonely path, all the unimportant dross falls away, what was important, is found wanting and cast aside..
If some ideal or idea which formed and shaped someones world, isn't... and something new is kindled,
or if the origin ideals are re awoken, the spirit bursting forth in epiphany?

The time alone helped me break away the rust of the world
The time with my fellow travelers to whom the road had re awoken before me, and who helped me, showed me how to help my fellow traveler through simple action and deeds.
the simple act of being a good man, of giving the hand to my fellow traveler down, to encouraging my fellow traveler, to giving hope... that becomes the key to what i carried back from the big empty.
sorry for the long windedness, this really isnt about I or me..it is the feeling of finding a person with the indelible mark that the road leaves.
I wait with baited breath for my turn on the Camino
Peace

Seeds of the future plant themselves in our hearts every day. We are unaware of their presence until a significant life experience awakens them and invites us to grow.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh I know what you mean William! Thank you SO much for all your kind messages about my music! I'm truly honored that my Camino song made you smile all over! That made my day! :)

William great post and Ullila great song!! I love this English translation of a Basque poet (painted on a bridge underpass just before Santiago) it is also painted on wall in Spanish near Najera.DSCN0357.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0357.JPG
    DSCN0357.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Biarritzdon
I loved the poem, I had to go find the original after I saw this and there is nothing lost in the translation from the author's native language...I feel the words moving in the winds.
The Force that moves me on...
The Voice that calls me from across the years
The Music in my soul, the choir of Angels in my head, the Gael, the Ave Maria, the Amazing Grace, the Ode to Joy..Always ALWAYS! playing in hte winds when I am walking some road at suns set...

Its the call, Clarion and bone vibratingly deep drawing me to the high lonesome places
Its the Voice Of God Himself, whispering mysteries untold to my soul and making me free of the earthly bounds of pain, misery and doubt.
it the deep and abiding Love I feel when on some hillside i find the universe laid bare before me
Its my Faith..ever true, evergreen, that wellspring that never ceases to flow
only the truly Loved can fee the evanescent security of being Loved wholly and Fully...
Its the call of a Violin and Bagpipe, The Bodhran and Flute, its waving fields of grass it s the Laughter of Freedom ,
Its the Joy of the inner Sanctity, Inviolate and Pure , away from the violate coil, far from the machinations and violations of the spirit
Its the Purity of intention and Honesty of Thought, that only from a distance set away from the tugs and puling bits of society, like a horse forever tethered to someone else's desires of direction and energy required...

Its the Occulting light at the end of Day
Its the Cathedral of trees overhead and the profound silence.. inside and out, when you find yourself clear, clean and fulfilled to overflowing
Its the Path of Light, whether through yon windows in some Cathedral, or through the leaves to the floor of some lonely path, both Beautiful
Both Holy.

What I hold Dear ..ALL I hold Dear is deep and abiding...
drawing me ever closer to some path in a far and Ancient land
Its the Road for me, this Wayward and faceless Pilgrim
Someday I will meet you
Beside me on some sunset hilltop, the full moon rising and a clear cold and empty path before us
there will be an urge to go on
to transcend the ordinary and..Become
The Butterfly stars will flutter their course round the River of stars over us
the fireflys of little rocks falling to earth will dance and play overhead.

The Call for Prayer, the Muezzin voice, the Chant of Monks, the simple prayer of the Pilgrim on the road
the Walk, that is my prayer, the Mile markers are my beads
the Fellow Pilgrims beside me the ties between the prayers

The Journey, The Camino...
Its not the Journey of a Lifetime
in a Lifetime of Journeys..
a lifeline to my Humanity.

Peace to All who Travel

Oh I know what you mean William! Thank you SO much for all your kind messages about my music! I'm truly honored that my Camino song made you smile all over! That made my day! :)
Its the music of the truly and deeply happy, a 'Real" person who is familiar with the paths of life, unafraid and filled to overflowing..we, are the Happy recipients of your Music!
Its the Artists Brush, fine upon the canvas of life that brings joy, I hope that you keep that joy flowing!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Its the music of the truly and deeply happy, a 'Real" person who is familiar with the paths of life, unafraid and filled to overflowing..we, are the Happy recipients of your Music!
Its the Artists Brush, fine upon the canvas of life that brings joy, I hope that you keep that joy flowing!

Awwww!!! Thanks SO much William! I'm so glad you got it that way! And yes....I sure intend to keep the joy flowing!
Like I said; you sure have a way with words too! Very inspirering! Bless you! :)

William, you are a refreshing breath of fresh air here on the camino, where the "hot air" of consumerism and tourism is blowing hard this year. Thanks for reminding me what really great pilgrims sound like.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Rebekah, than you for the pictures, the insight and the vision of the Caminos!
The essence of pilgrim to me, is the experience
its all sexy to have this pack, those shoes, and this camera.
when the beauty is the moment, not a moment of beauty
when the realisation of, I AM! is upon you
when the participation of,
becomes a part in
the story

we, i, will be no better, nor worse than any other on the great equaliser.
I came to fully understand the road in a period over time
it didn't hit all at once
i had to dedicate myself to suffer for what i sought
suffering..is a relative term
I found so much more than what i gave

the soft stillness of the soul
the emptiness of the vessel
the deep and abiding inner peace of letting go
of everything.

the music called
and i learned to dance
i wish it were an easy dance
but it isn't
and never will be
if all i had were my little book bag
a nice pair of shoes
a camera(sorry)
and a pair of walking sticks
I would be content to walk the fine edge of darkness and light
darkness, for it isnt easy to not be in competition, its nature, human and ingrained in DNA
Light, for as soon as i found i could do more with less, ide travel smoother

ohh, and my meds too, sorry to say i am damaged goods outsid-ish
but inside-ish, ime already there, and inside, is what will make all the difference.

I will not be there as a tourist, it means and will be a pilgrimage first
and as such
I expect that many and wonderful..wonder filled things, places and people will be placed before me
revealed in their good and timely manner
just like life, when if you care to see, the signs are there

Everyone has their road
Blessed be the Pilgrim
I hope they find what is sought

The walk, the "way" of the Camino
it will be like going back, to follow old familiar steps
to what and.., wheres end?

A restoration of Anima
a filling of Faith
the strength of
I DID.
the regret
I didnt

Its the People on the journey to reality
it the face of exhaustion at the end
its the holiness of sanctity found, inside of oneself
when all the bovine effluent is washed away forever by the over coming of doubt
its the thousand yard stare,
you have seen it
I have seen it
its the looking out over the emptiness inside
and realizing
i can fill this
with...

that is the choice at the end of Camino
and the beginning of the next one.

You who have all traveled before me
I am humbled by the knowledge that
I will be walking the same roads you have
as so many others have
to put hand on this post
to put foot upon that stone laid by Roman
to see the soaring edifice
to hear the emptiness..ohh? ...i'm not afraid of the roaring silence of the stillness within and throughout

to the Cathedral of mountain, trees and stars
to see St James

to stand in august company of "real" people
not the sham facade of substance
but of people of the shared road

and knowing that all around me
Love and purity of purpose is rule
not exception
that will be Camino to me
Peace

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back