• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this Tendonitis?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of this please?

A few weeks ago, when walking with my 2nd pair of new boots, I realises they were too big and called my husband to come and get me, rather than keep walking and risk blisters. To stop my feet moving around in the shoe I tied the laces really tight (big mistake).

I noticed when I got home a mild little ache at the top of the arch of my right foot and a little on the top of my foot.

Over the last few weeks I've felt this again... very mild, nothing serious, but a persitant mild ache after walking... but nothing that casued me any concern. I thought it was just aching feet. My new boots feel great, no rubbing, no loseness and I am really enjoying walking with them.

Yesterday and now again today the ache is really quite painful. It is focused on the top of the arch of the foot. I've applied Volteral ibroprofen cream and I can seek a podiatrist on monday but I'm now getting really concerned that I've put my walk in jeopardy? I've only been walking for an hour so and not been really pushing myself.

From searching the location of the pain it could be the posterior tibial tendon? but I have no ankle pain? If this is the case have I put my walk at risk? I am leaving in 7 weeks? :(

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
He's right, go see a Podiatrist. You can irritate the tendons on the top of the arch with too tight lacing, but since it's still bothering you, go to the doctor.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I sometimes have the ache on that spot after a long run. It always comes down to me having tied my laces to hard. The ache goes away in max a day.

If yours stay, better go see a doctor/podiatrist.

7 weeks is a long way away. Don't start your worries now. First go to the expert :)

Also, have you tried walking on something else then boots? Boots might not be your thing. To rule it out, give somethig else a try. It's just a thought.

Hi all!
This is not directed to Les specifically but to anyone preparing for their first Camino experience.
I developed tendonitis in my feet and Achilles. I had never experienced this problem before walking the CF this May/June. The doctors in Spain were all too familiar with this "Pilgrim" problem. Apparently it is very common and mostly due to: more steep ups and downs than some of us are used to as well as just overwork/use, and the extra weight we carry (even though mine was really good - 10% without food and water). The doctors told me to walk less (15 - 20 kms. per day max.) and send my pack on ahead. This is of course after I took the prescribed medications and days off for rest and wearing compression wraps on my feet and ankles.
I was surprised because I had not read a lot about this before going on the CF. Since returning home and having more rest for my feet I have purchased a "ProStretch" to help stretch out my calves, Achilles, soleus, and hamstring muscles. There are of course many ways to stretch these tendon and muscles but this was recommended to me. It's easy to use. I have no affiliation with the company that makes this (Medi-Dyne).
Maybe others can add good ideas to this discussion? It may be that us 1st timers need more info on this (at least I did).
Good Luck Les!
Stefania

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am not a doctor, but I play one on the Camino de Santiago Forum.;)

Not all pain is tendinitis (tendonitis). As a matter of fact, it is a small subset of repetitive injuries and/or inflammations. Check medical websites for tendinitis and tendinosis. Even those two similar words are different injuries and have somewhat different treatments. Shin splints, one of the more debilitating camino injuries also is different from tendinitis. It involves the connective tissues on the back of the shin, not tendons.

Pain on the top of the foot from a shoe is just pain. The usual ice, rest, elevation, and drugs may help. There are other foot disorders where you may have strained a tendon in your foot, resulting in inflammation and pain. A doctor whose practice is not limited to the Forum will know more. One of the treatment recommendations will be to stop walking. You then will need to make a decision on tolerating pain.

For myself knowing the source of the pain does little more than assure me that further use will not cause damage. The pain; I settle for it. You don't walk 750 km without discomfort. Sorry, but that is simply the way it is.:eek:

I agree you should seek help if it continues, but I have experienced this pain as you described it (I think) and it was caused by the lacing being too tight. You might try pudding some extra padding (shoestore should have) inside the tongue of the shoe and, of course, loosen the laces a bit. As you walk, your feet generally swell and the laces, which seemed fine initially, become increasingly tight--so adjust as necessary. Something else to try, lace your shoes differently (there are many examples on line)--try skipping some of the holes over the area involved by running the laces along the sides instead of diagonally across. Something that runners and hikers often do to eliminate pressure points. Final suggestion--take time to stop and remove and cool your feet when necessary. Take care! Backpack45

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of this please?

A few weeks ago, when walking with my 2nd pair of new boots, I realises they were too big and called my husband to come and get me, rather than keep walking and risk blisters. To stop my feet moving around in the shoe I tied the laces really tight (big mistake).

I noticed when I got home a mild little ache at the top of the arch of my right foot and a little on the top of my foot.

Over the last few weeks I've felt this again... very mild, nothing serious, but a persitant mild ache after walking... but nothing that casued me any concern. I thought it was just aching feet. My new boots feel great, no rubbing, no loseness and I am really enjoying walking with them.

Yesterday and now again today the ache is really quite painful. It is focused on the top of the arch of the foot. I've applied Volteral ibroprofen cream and I can seek a podiatrist on monday but I'm now getting really concerned that I've put my walk in jeopardy? I've only been walking for an hour so and not been really pushing myself.

From searching the location of the pain it could be the posterior tibial tendon? but I have no ankle pain? If this is the case have I put my walk at risk? I am leaving in 7 weeks? :(

I agree you should seek help if it continues, but I have experienced this pain as you described it (I think) and it was caused by the lacing being too tight. You might try pudding some extra padding (shoestore should have) inside the tongue of the shoe and, of course, loosen the laces a bit. As you walk, your feet generally swell and the laces, which seemed fine initially, become increasingly tight--so adjust as necessary. Something else to try, lace your shoes differently (there are many examples on line)--try skipping some of the holes over the area involved by running the laces along the sides instead of diagonally across. Something that runners and hikers often do to eliminate pressure points. Final suggestion--take time to stop and remove and cool your feet when necessary. Take care! Backpack45

THANK YOU! One and all. I will get an appointment on Monday as you're all correct but I started to panic :rolleyes: You're comments and knowledge has calmed me... and I'll check out the lacing info. I dont want anything to stop me walking... maybe it's a timely reminder to take care.

thank you!

p.s. if anyone is watching the Tour de France today you may have seen me... the race passed through our village... which is somewhere between the start and the finish point... great day, even if it did mean walking 2.5km in and 2.5km out and then 2.5km in and 2.5km out again this afternoon o_O

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Always take large doses of Vitamin C when walking long distances and swear it helps to minimize foot/leg pain. On recent Camino, a young German gave me Magnesium pills that he swore did the same. We traded our magic pills a few times and both agreed that they both seemed to work to minimize pains in feet. But might be placebo effect.

I hope when you see your podiatrist tomorrow LesBrass that everything turns out OK. I made a similar mistake on a recent walk, when I over-tightened the laces on my new boots, and it left my ankle bruised and tender for a week but with no long-term damage. Even in the worst case scenario you might be told to rest up for two weeks, but you have plenty of time to recover before your Camino. And isn't it a blessing that you learnt not to tie your boots like that now, rather than half-way to Santiago? Glad you enjoyed the Tour - I sent it to you specially from London!

Hello Folks... I'm a bit late updating this as my appointment was rescheduled. Anyway - I went today and had a bit of a make-over on my feet and also she examined how I walked and used a few machines to check how I stood and spread my weight across my feet.

She said that my scoliosis has caused me to change how I walk... I walk on the outside of one foot and in the inside of another. She also thinks that this could cause a little joint pain after a few 100 kilometres. But, she was also very happy for me to walk and saw no foot related medical reason why I should worry.

I'm getting a pair of custom insoles made but she did say that if I am happy with my boots at the moments I may not need them. They will be ready next week... and because of the way the French healthcare system works I dont have to pay for them. :)

I'm off for a week's walking holiday at the end of August so I'll have plenty of time to try them out! She's hoping that they will help me correct/balance how I walk.

Apart from that she's happy that my feet look fine and she liked my boots and my Keen sandals.

So... all is well that end's well... I hope! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Gerard - the best I have seen. Absolutely helped me out here. I found this to be just so helpful.
Muchas gracias

Not asking for a diagnosis here, just advice on what kind of 'professional' to see.

Having trained in my Camino gear for over a year, I've now started getting Achilles tendon pain. As I have stepped up my training I suspect. It's OK (pain reduces) once I get warmed up, just a bit of pain before and after walking.

Nothing too painful, but worth getting checked I suspect.

I guess a GP (General Practitioner) would not have much experience in diagnosing or treating Achilles Tendonitis?
A physio?
A podiatrist?
I have a very good chiropractor.

So who would you suggest is the right 'go to' Health Care professional? I'm not one that runs off to the Doctor much, so just not sure who to see.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Not asking for a diagnosis here, just advice on what kind of 'professional' to see.

Having trained in my Camino gear for over a year, I've now started getting Achilles tendon pain. As I have stepped up my training I suspect. It's OK (pain reduces) once I get warmed up, just a bit of pain before and after walking.

Nothing too painful, but worth getting checked I suspect.

I guess a GP (General Practitioner) would not have much experience in diagnosing or treating Achilles Tendonitis?
A physio?
A podiatrist?
I have a very good chiropractor.

So who would you suggest is the right 'go to' Health Care professional? I'm not one that runs off to the Doctor much, so just not sure who to see.
A competent podiatrist - just get good refererences.

Hi, Robo,
Sorry to hear about this.
I agree with the podiatrist recommendation, but I would also make sure to try some preventive measures. I think tendonitis comes from lots of walking on pavement. I have heard from lots of long distance hikers that tendonitis is just not a problem on the Appalachian Trail or routes like that because the surface is softer and uneven. Repetive pounding puts the stress on the same part of the skeletal system. Have you been walking on pavement? (The Camino has a LOT of pavement, so it's a good heads up).

When I walk, I make sure to ice my shins every day. I always have a small plastic bag in my fanny pack and when I stop walking, I have a drink in and ask for ice in my bag. I walk in summer so I can sit outside. Having the bag just makes it much easier for bar owners. Then I use the ice on my shins, not for too long, about 10-15 minutes each side at least once a day. I also happily seize every opportunity to soak feet in cold streams, etc., again for 10-15 mins. Elevation is also a good idea, and bunk beds in albergues frequently are very good places for elevating the feet while lying down.

Good luck with your feet! Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Robo,
Sorry to hear about this.
I agree with the podiatrist recommendation, but I would also make sure to try some preventive measures. I think tendonitis comes from lots of walking on pavement. I have heard from lots of long distance hikers that tendonitis is just not a problem on the Appalachian Trail or routes like that because the surface is softer and uneven. Repetive pounding puts the stress on the same part of the skeletal system. Have you been walking oto the English!n pavement? (The Camino has a LOT of pavement, so it's a good heads up).

When I walk, I make sure to ice my shins every day. I always have a small plastic bag in my fanny pack and when I stop walking, I have a drink in and ask for ice in my bag. I walk in summer so I can sit outside. Having the bag just makes it much easier for bar owners. Then I use the ice on my shins, not for too long, about 10-15 minutes each side at least once a day. I also happily seize every opportunity to soak feet in cold streams, etc., again for 10-15 mins. Elevation is also a good idea, and bunk beds in albergues frequently are very good places for elevating the feet while lying down.

Good luck with your feet! Buen camino, Laurie

Great tips, many thanks.

Don't know why but many people seemed to have similar problems on and after Day 12 of hiking. Really slowed my novia down and she started taking lot of pain killers.

Lucky for her that we did not pass a Veterinarian as I was considering having her "put down".

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great tips, many thanks.

And just in case you haven't seen the commentary on another current thread, if the medical professional does prescribe a customized orthotic, I would strongly recommend that you get one that is made of silicone and not the hard plastic type that is more commonly prescribed, at least in the US. Thousands or millions of foot strikes with a piece of hard plastic between your foot and the ground is a recipe for disaster. Buen camino, Laurie

And just in case you haven't seen the commentary on another current thread, if the medical professional does prescribe a customized orthotic, I would strongly recommend that you get one that is made of silicone and not the hard plastic type that is more commonly prescribed, at least in the US. Thousands or millions of foot strikes with a piece of hard plastic between your foot and the ground is a recipe for disaster. Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, I tried to Google silicone orthotics but came out empty - do you have a site to suggest? Mine have a hard shell but a soft bump under the arch. I wonder what type they are.

Laurie, I tried to Google silicone orthotics but came out empty - do you have a site to suggest? Mine have a hard shell but a soft bump under the arch. I wonder what type they are.

HI, Anemone,

With some googling, I came up with a site with some pictures. http://www.quorumorthopedics.com/orthotics/custom-footwear/

As my orthotics provider described it to me, the casts they use mold the deformity and then make the bottom side flat. Whereas other orthotics "correct" the deformity, to make your foot strike different than it would normally be, to make your foot strike more in line with what's a "normal" foot strike. So they change the trajectory of the foot strike you would have if you walked without an orthotic. I am not sure if this is clear, but what he says is that with the silicone cast they are "reinforcing" the deformity rather than correcting it.

Making the mold involves stepping into a big rectangle of squishy styrofoam like stuff. From that, they build the orthotic. That was very different from how they made my hard plastic ones, which involved me lying down and them adjusting my foot before taking the mold. The method is shown in this youtube, but what it shows is an off the counter insole that uses the same method as my much thicker one, except that when I step in the box, there is no pre-made orthotic under my foot. It just takes the mold and then the custom one is made.

In spite of my garbled description, I can tell you unequivocally that they have worked for me. Changed my life on the Camino as much as or more than my electric coil. ;) Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Seeing a Podiatrist on Monday.

Saw my GP today. She took one look, 'twanged' my Achilles and as I 'yelped' Said. Yes that's Tendonitis :eek:

So Podiatrist next, Ultrasound as a double check, and then GP can give me a 'jab' that is an anti inflammatory. It takes a week to take effect and lasts for 3 months apparently.

As she said, "Better to Find Out Now"

Thank you all for tips on getting along to see a Podiatrist. Found one who belongs to the local running Club.

Hopefully a couple of weeks of stretching exercises and a heel support will fix things up. I'm to train without a backpack for a week.

I feel like my Camino has started already :rolleyes:

Well, Tendinitis (also called tendonitis) is an inflammation or irritation of a tendon, a thick cord that attaches bone to muscle. Great sources!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you all for tips on getting along to see a Podiatrist. Found one who belongs to the local running Club.

Hopefully a couple of weeks of stretching exercises and a heel support will fix things up. I'm to train without a backpack for a week.

I feel like my Camino has started already :rolleyes:

Podiatrist confirmed Tendonitis. Gave me a heel 'wedge' and some stretches to do. Not helping much though, so I've booked to see my GP to get a Cortisone shot, given that I am only 33 sleeps from starting! On the Podiatrist's advice I've all but stopped training. So need to get back walking asap.

One interesting thing the Podiatrist mentioned.....

I would be happy to 'walk through' the pain. It's not that bad currently. And I suspect that is what many Pilgrims do.

But he stressed that continuing to walk on it, would alter my gait and put pressure on other areas leading in all probability to shin splints. Those I gather from reading here are 'show stoppers' :eek:

So cortisone jabs it will be and back to training.....

Robo - I am giving a totally amateur opinion here, but... I would say to go ahead with the cortisone injection, but to do only mild training until you reach Spain. The last thing you need is to overdo things now and aggravate either the pain or the underlying injury. Maybe walk 5-10 km daily at most. Get a good night or two of sleep once you arrive in Spain and take your first week very easy. At least that way, you can enjoy the experience whatever it may be. And, of course, keep your pack light and maybe have it transported, particularly from SJPP to Roncesvalles. (I carried my backpack with day things only and sent a stuff bag full of the rest on to Roncesvalles. Even lightening the load half-way was worth it for day 1.)

P.S. You do have 2 poles, don't you?

Thanks C clearly. Just sitting waiting for an ultrasound right now and seeing GP tomorrow.

I'll certainly be taking it easy!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This is so sad. You've worked so hard to get this right and then this happens.

It's not going to stop me don't worry. It's not that painful whilst warmed up and walking .

I just want to make sure I understand what the worst case scenario might be so I can avoid it ....

Afternote: Tendonitis confirmed by Ultrasound. But no tears thankfully. So hopefully Cortisone will do the job :)

I cannot imagine this happening mid Camino. Really feel sorry for those who are struck down by it. It would be really hard and time consuming to get things fixed up. Glad it happened to me now!

Last edited:

The Saga continues. I only mention this as it may assist others who have the condition or 'plan to have it' :eek: Maybe help avoid it too.... I suspect that the condition was caused not by too much walking, but too mush pre and post exercise stretching. I was doing a lot of heel dips. i.e. standing on a step, with my heels hanging off the step. raising up on the toes, and slowly down on the heels with the heels dipping below horizontal....

Anyway, no Cortisone injections. Seems it's considered not worth doing into the Achilles, given the lack of blood flow to the area. Something like that. Though my GP is ringing around to see if she can find another specialist to do it.

Medicine is quite strange in Australia. It's a bit like law, in that to see a Barrister you have to be referred by a Solicitor. In this case I can't just walk in to see someone and ask for a Cortisone injection. (Even as a private patient) It has to be 'authorised' as it were.

So for now it seems like anti inflammatory meds and physio will be the treatment. Also wearing heel 'lifts' in my shoes/boots to ease the strain on the Achilles. (4-6 mm high)

Though the good news is, that I am unlikely to cause any further damage, or affect other parts of the body by going on my Camino. Just a question of pain killers etc. According to my GP that is.

So tomorrow I start walking again :)

My Camino has certainly started already. :rolleyes:

After note: The plot thickens. My GP just rang to say she has found an imaging centre that will do the injections. It's done under Ultrasound guidance. No promises it will work apparently but worth a try.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I hope you are right @Robo . I have never heard of "keep on walking" with an injury, but there are many things I've never heard of and I have no medical knowledge.

Why on earth "train"? You will train when you get there, walking what you are able to walk each day. This is not a distance you need to cover in a set time. And while you 'train" all you will do is aggravate your injury. As for the injection, my podiatrist does not like them unless they are done under "live" xray so that the cortisone is left near the injured tendon, not through it, which would damage it further.
Edit: just read that you will be having the injection under US, good!

Why on earth "train"? You will train when you get there, walking what you are able to walk each day. This is not a distance you need to cover in a set time. And while you 'train" all you will do is aggravate your injury. As for the injection, my podiatrist does not like them unless they are done under "live" xray so that the cortisone is left near the injured tendon, not through it, which would damage it further.
Edit: just read that you will be having the injection under US, good!

Yes I take the point re training. I just want to keep things moving. So some 'light' training. Probably 7 kms max with reduced loads. I'll start out with 3-4 kms and see how I go.

It's not actually painful once I'm warmed up and walking. My concern was merely to understand what I would be able to undertake without further damage and how to manage the condition. Seems it will not be a show stopper.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is my approach, but it might not work for anyone on a strict schedule.

My schedule is not that strict. I have 45 days from SJPdP to Santiago. But I'd like to be as well prepared as possible so I have the best chance of getting there.... I'll just train 'gently' ;)

Lots of physio, meds etc to get the swelling down before I start.

Robo, I have been following you since the early "rice cooker days" so I know how much you have put your heart and soul into this journey. My advice would be to be sure to give yourself a little time to get over jet lag once you arrive in SJPdP and to keep drinking plenty of water so your muscles and tendons stay hydrated.

Robo, I have been following you since the early "rice cooker days" so I know how much you have put your heart and soul into this journey. My advice would be to be sure to give yourself a little time to get over jet lag once you arrive in SJPdP and to keep drinking plenty of water so your muscles and tendons stay hydrated.

Thanks for your kind encouragement.

I'm giving myself the best chance possible I think. In fact my original plans already did that.

Only light training from now on.
Heel inserts
Physio
A night in Paris once I get to Europe.
TGV down South.
A night in St Jean
Walking as far as Orisson day 1. (Light pack) Caroline will pick me up after lunch.
Day 2 Caroline will bus me back up. Planning to start at Orisson, but I may get her to take me a bit further.
Light pack again.
Transporting my heavier stuff to Roncesvalles.
Day 3 may only walk 10 kms. If required I'll send my heavier stuff forward again. Though my pack all up is only 5.5 kg.

From there I'll take it slow and steady. No need to rush. I'll ease into it as it were. If I only make 10 kms a day that will do to start with. After all, it's the journey that is important, not the end point....

If I look like running out of time (I have 45 days).... well stuff it. I'll grab a taxi and jump forward a bit ;)

This has been too long in the planning. One way or another...........I'll make it :)

The Saga continues. I only mention this as it may assist others who have the condition or 'plan to have it' :eek: Maybe help avoid it too.... I suspect that the condition was caused not by too much walking, but too mush pre and post exercise stretching. I was doing a lot of heel dips. i.e. standing on a step, with my heels hanging off the step. raising up on the toes, and slowly down on the heels with the heels dipping below horizontal....

Anyway, no Cortisone injections. Seems it's considered not worth doing into the Achilles, given the lack of blood flow to the area. Something like that. Though my GP is ringing around to see if she can find another specialist to do it.

Medicine is quite strange in Australia. It's a bit like law, in that to see a Barrister you have to be referred by a Solicitor. In this case I can't just walk in to see someone and ask for a Cortisone injection. (Even as a private patient) It has to be 'authorised' as it were.

So for now it seems like anti inflammatory meds and physio will be the treatment. Also wearing heel 'lifts' in my shoes/boots to ease the strain on the Achilles. (4-6 mm high)

Though the good news is, that I am unlikely to cause any further damage, or affect other parts of the body by going on my Camino. Just a question of pain killers etc. According to my GP that is.

So tomorrow I start walking again :)

My Camino has certainly started already. :rolleyes:

After note: The plot thickens. My GP just rang to say she has found an imaging centre that will do the injections. It's done under Ultrasound guidance. No promises it will work apparently but worth a try.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had the same symptoms and over a two year period tried everything possible, from stretching to no stretching to physio to family doctor to MRI to rest. Nothing really helped. Each time it got a little better and I picked up the training again, the pain and swelling was right back.
Finally and by chance I got to talk to a pharmacist which at one point had the same problem. He recommended a cream that would help. It is prescription strength, therefor I needed my doctor involved, which was no problem. The cream must be prepared in a pharmacy that is equipped to do compounds. (I live in Canada and most pharmacies, especially the big chain ones, can't do that.)
The mixture is: "DICLOFENAC 10% in Lipoderm".
The good news is, it DOES work. The bad news is, it takes a while. In my case I used it for about two month, three times daily before my tendon was healed.
Right now I believe to be totally fixed and my wife and I will start in SJPDP on April 1st. I will take the cream with me, just in case.

Hi, Robo,

I have also followed your threads since the days of the rice cooker, and just wanted to say that "rice" is also a very important word for treating and preventing tendonitis.

I know several people, including me, have said this before, but Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation are all things you can do after each day´s walk. I particularly find the ice and elevation parts easy to incorporate. For the ice -- take a plastic bag to a bar at the end of the day. Sit outside at a table where the incline will not send melting water under everyone´s feet. Ask the owner-server to put some ice in your bag and use it on your shins while sipping your drink. For the elevation -- most bunk beds in albergues have a perfect spot to elevate your feet easily, a rail at the end of the bed.

Wishing you a wonderful camino, fingers crossed for your shins! Laurie

and p.s. you can buy an anti-inflammatory cream in any farmacia in Spain, the most common is Voltaren. Though it says it is only sold under prescription on the box, I have never had a problem buying it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gee @Robo that's bad luck. It's probably a good thing it happened before rather than later. I've come across lots of people who get some tendonitis and two completely stopped by it - one of whom had walked from Le Puy without problems and suddenly developed it on the meseta, the other a young doctor who started in Roncesvales and pulled out at Burgos. The first fellow blamed himself for getting overconfident - he felt very fit after so many weeks on the trail and upped the pace significantly when it got flat. The young doctor, I thought, had boots that were too high up the ankles with tight lacing.

I do know that the doctors along the Camino almost invariably advise rest as the only cure once it gets entrenched.

Love your comment about specialists btw - and long may it be so - speaking as a barrister....

and p.s. you can buy an anti-inflammatory cream in any farmacia in Spain, the most common is Voltaren. Though it says it is only sold under prescription on the box, I have never had a problem buying it.

FYI Voltaren is the commercial for Diclofenac which was mentioned by Lib. It is also sold, at least in Canada, under the name Emugel. What I have seen in Canada is 1%, my pharmacists made me 2% cream, with no prescription. Good to know they can go up to 10% with a prescription. In Spain, if memory serves me right, it was 2%. You can also get voltaren in a pill form. Used to be it was handed out rather freely in Spain, and was probably an important part of the Camino farmacia's revenues, but since 2013 the use has been restricted by the government. This being said, if one farmacia turns you down, try the next one ;0) - did just that when I needed Furosemida, a potent diurectic I had forgotten to bring me with. I always stock up on meds before heading back home, from Voltaren slow release to prednisone for my dogs.

Thank you all for your encouragement and tips. It will be interesting to see how all this pans out..... I'm getting the feeling that 'someone' has decided that I need to start my Camino with a small challenge. So be it :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Next stage of the Saga. Good News I think.

I'm starting to learn a bit about Achilles Tendonitis :)

Today I had a Cortisone injection performed under Ultrasound.

I explained to the Doctor what I was planning to do and that I thought over training, or more accurately over stretching had caused the injury/inflammation.

An interesting response.........

"you can't stretch the Achilles Tendon too much" Stretching is good it seems. Even those 'Heel Dips' that I thought might have caused the injury.

No he explained, the injury has been caused by over use. Basically I increased the distance of my training walks too fast.....

So I'm to not walk for a week, then slowly build up my distances with lots of stretching too. So hopefully I'll be doing some training walks before I depart for my Camino. Then as suggested above, I'll take it easy in the first week or so.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.