• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugues or Frances

Rosie12

Time of past OR future Camino
St. Jean Pied de Port to Burgos, (September 2014)
Hello all!

I will be doing my first Camino from September 10th to 25th, but I'm having trouble choosing a route and I'm hoping for some advice! My two options are walking the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles to Burgos, or walking the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago.

On the CF, I wouldn't get to Santiago and I'm worried that I would leave without the sense of accomplishment that comes from reaching the end of the route. I'm not walking for religious reasons, but there's still something to making it to the end. On the other hand, the CF is supposed to have better pilgrim infrastructure and a wider range of people. I don't love crowds (I'm worried about the bed race,) but I'm definitely excited to meet people. I also think I would enjoy the scenery more here than on the Portugues. If I do the CF I definitely want to do Roncesvalles to Burgos, though, since its supposed to be more interesting than later parts of the route and hopefully marginally less busy. I could also go back another time and start at Burgos.

On the Camino Portugues, I would be able to complete the route and end up in Santiago. However, I'm worried about not meeting as many English I speakers as I would on the CF, and about the general availability of pilgrim infrastructure. I've seen a few comments that the CF is better for first-timers, and I don't want to miss out on the pilgrim culture of the CF.

As of right now I'm leaning towards the CF, but any advice would be welcome! If anyone has walked one or both, which would you recommend?

Thank you! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Rosie12:

I would walk the Portuguese from Porto. This will allow you to complete a walk, get a Compostela and celebrate with your Camino family in Santiago.

Ultreya,
Joe

hi rosie - i'd encourage you to contemplate what is your motivation for walking the camino? what calls or draws you onto this path?
if you find that part within you that pulled you towards the camino pilgrimage, it might lead you to the path that is most suitable to you and what you are open to experience.

if and when you get stuck on rationales, weighing this side vs the other option, this seeming advantage over the other seemingly disadvantage... that's all what you will have 'left' when it gets "crunchy" (pain due to various reasons; perhaps days walking in cold rain and wind; inner doubts; lots of snoring bed-fellows or whatever you might encounter that has you loose your composure or ease) on the caminho.
find something within (a motivation, a 'reason') that will sustain you on those long hours of walking and backpack schlepping and you are NOT have a good moment or day.... and then it does not really matter what route is chosen. the caminho is more that clever logistics and good equipment ... but that's just my bias of course.

i initially intended to walk the camino from France to SdC in september/october ... but ended up walking the caminho portuguese in May from lisbon to SdC due to other changed circumstance that required me to be in the UK in June. either way would have been fine, because wherever you will walk, you will be there in whatever inner state you are.
best wishes .... and hope you will be serene on whatever path you will be walking.
C

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello all!

I will be doing my first Camino from September 10th to 25th, but I'm having trouble choosing a route and I'm hoping for some advice! My two options are walking the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles to Burgos, or walking the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago.

On the CF, I wouldn't get to Santiago and I'm worried that I would leave without the sense of accomplishment that comes from reaching the end of the route. I'm not walking for religious reasons, but there's still something to making it to the end. On the other hand, the CF is supposed to have better pilgrim infrastructure and a wider range of people. I don't love crowds (I'm worried about the bed race,) but I'm definitely excited to meet people. I also think I would enjoy the scenery more here than on the Portugues. If I do the CF I definitely want to do Roncesvalles to Burgos, though, since its supposed to be more interesting than later parts of the route and hopefully marginally less busy. I could also go back another time and start at Burgos.

On the Camino Portugues, I would be able to complete the route and end up in Santiago. However, I'm worried about not meeting as many English I speakers as I would on the CF, and about the general availability of pilgrim infrastructure. I've seen a few comments that the CF is better for first-timers, and I don't want to miss out on the pilgrim culture of the CF.

As of right now I'm leaning towards the CF, but any advice would be welcome! If anyone has walked one or both, which would you recommend?

Hi Rosie

Do not be afraid about the language. Most fellow peregrinos speak english and if not there is the joy of the non verbal contacts with the locals you'll meet.
You do not tell where you arrive ! An alternative is to walk from a Coruña and Ferrol in the north of Galicia,called the camino Inglès Takes you about 12 days We did the Ferrol Santiago leg in 8 days last may and enjoyed the scenery and the walk. From A Coruña to the point the camino from Ferrol meets is about 4 days. Our forumfriend Stephen Nicols walked both legs the other day.
So you have time to sightsee some of Santiago ,Porto, Madrid whereever you land.and you'll get your Compostella after finishing.
Buen camino

Rosie, as the others have said, both ways are beautiful but as a first timer I think the Frances is a good choice as it has a more established infrastructure. You could walk the Frances from Astorga to Santiago in the time you have, get a great feel for the Camino and also get your compostelle at the end. September is a beautiful month for this stretch. My wife and I walked the Sarria to Santiago section last September and we only got about two hours rain on the walk, total. Of course when we were waiting in Santiago for our flights home it poured but that did not matter so much.
Either way have a great time planning and have a Buen Camino.

Rosie12, I'm just back from Camino Portugues where I met most amazing people, including 4 english speakers that 'adopted' me on the second day of my walk and we walked together till Santiago. I do not like crowds, it seems all the routes get busier ca 100km before Santiago. It is true that accomodation options on CP are fewer, at least first few days from Porto. I planned to walk on my own but after first day realized it was not what I wanted and then I met my walking buddies...so I suppose it was meant to be this way. I am sure you will have fantastic experience no matter where you go!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Rosie, either way will be fine.
There's plenty enough pilgrim infrastructure on the Portugues route from Porto and what is there is often very fine. Perhaps some fewer English speakers - but more than enough - and you will be well looked-after by the Portuguese people.
For the CF - I think actually you will get a great sense of accomplishment if you walk from Roncesvalles to Burgos (any reason why you are not starting at StJean?) and like you say, it sets you up for a return.
For me the difference between the two is their character. The Frances is the louder older sibling: confident and full of anecdotes, sweeping you along brilliantly with endless tales of the camino family history, but who can become a little over-bearing or vulgar at times. The Portugues is like the younger more reserved one, who doesn't speak so much and whose quiet charm you have to bring out a little, by effort of your own voice and manner.

Thank you all for your wonderful responses! There are so many choices on the Camino, it's hard to know which one is right - but I suppose all of them are right in their own way!

if you find that part within you that pulled you towards the camino pilgrimage, it might lead you to the path that is most suitable to you and what you are open to experience.

This helped me out a lot. I think I've decided to stick with the CF. As much as I love the idea of reaching Santiago, I think the journey to Burgos will be more meaningful for me right now. I'd rather encounter peregrino_tom's "louder older sibling" at this point in my life - who knows, maybe I will go back and complete the Portuguese route another time.

For the CF - I think actually you will get a great sense of accomplishment if you walk from Roncesvalles to Burgos (any reason why you are not starting at StJean?) and like you say, it sets you up for a return.

peregrino_tom, I also decided to start at St. Jean - it made just as much sense as starting in Roncevalles! This way I can go back another time and start at Burgos, and feel like I've completed the whole Camino Frances.

I think all the sections of the Camino Frances can be equally wonderful, and all the different parts make the whole. If you know that you can return in future then start in St Jean, and do the rest later. However if the Compostela is your main objective then I think Leon to Santiago, or even Astorga to Santiago will still give you a fantastic experience, and a sufficiently long hike.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I met a couple in Pamplona who had walked from Roncevalles in one very long day! They had sent their bags ahead and possibly had a page missing in their book. That walk took me 3 days.
I too tossed about the idea of starting in Roncevalles but shared a cab with some people and started in St Jean. So grateful I did! It was pure magic.
One day out of Burgos there were literally no beds avaiable in the town we arrived at...but one pilgrim suggested we try for the place they were going... El Molino. The inn keeper arrived to pick us up and drive us to his rural casa, with the understanding that he would return us to the very same spot on the Camino the very next morning. A beautiful old mill in the country side. It was Magic! Dinner with 14 other pilgrims. It was a rare experience. I would like to suggest that you finish your Camino there! The film The Way used it as a location. The innkeepers are the grandparents of the lovely young lady who married Martin Sheen's grandson. ... Just a thought.
Your Camino will guide you to the places, the pace, and the people.
I started my Camino on my own and soon developed my little Camino Pod of lovely like minded folks and you will too.

Hi Rosie
Just to add a random alternative maybe worth considering?

I walked the Camino Primitivo from Villaviciosa to SdC in May/June this year - it IS hard walking in places, but beautiful country, enough accomodation, cafes etc, but not remotely crowded (until the last couple of days joining the Camino Frances). I'm the 'wrong side' of 50, it was my first Camino (now planning next one for next spring), and I wanted something I could do 'in total', but without too many fellow pilgrims (sound a bit antisocial - but I was keen to have the space to just be 'out there' on my own sometimes). I walked for 12 days (350km in total) - a couple of long days in that but nothing outrageous 13/14 might be better - and loved (almost) every minute!

Whichever way you decide on you'll have a great experience and meet some amazing people!

best wishes and buon camino
Pete

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will depart Porto on the 7th. Maybe our paths will cross. No set schedule, We will walk until we're tired

Bom Caminho Buen Camino

Hello all!

Hello Rosie12,

Never having enough vacation time to travel from across the pond and walk a full Camino, I have never walked more than 350km per walk. My first experience was starting in SJPP, although the dream was, and still is the Camino Frances. Believe me, that first day over the Pyrenees will give you a sense of accomplishment and, not only that but, until you have not reached Santiago, the Camino will haunt you and call you back, it will inhabit you, and that is not a bad thing at all. In fact, I have found that reaching Santiago was anticlimatic: all of a sudden it is all over, and it's time to get back to reality.

El Camino Frances can be a good introduction to the Caminos, as you know there will always be a place to sleep or have a cafe con leche just around the corner, and people to keep you company, and distracted, along the way. I have been on the Camino Frances three times now, and now feel ready for the Camino del Norte, especially now since the infrastructure is much more developped than 6 years ago and the stretches between beds is more reasonable (I like 25 km days, not 30+).

It has taken me 6 years, 3 walks, to get to see "The Magnificent", this cathedral that, despite it incredible size, speaks to you, calls you, draws you in. And I am glad it has taken me so long to see it. Part of it is feeling I earned it, but mostly it's almost as if it was a courtship, something that took time to happen.

My advice would be, if you can make it back to Spain to walk every now and then, is to start from SJPP and walk what you can this time, then go back, and again, and again, and after you have reached Santiago, start getting to it again from different routes, once you have learned to "let go", stop worrying about finding a bed and beging looking at your surroundings and not your guidebook.

Regards,
Anemone del Camino

I met a couple in Pamplona who had walked from Roncevalles in one very long day! They had sent their bags ahead and possibly had a page missing in their book. That walk took me 3 days.
I too tossed about the idea of starting in Roncevalles but shared a cab with some people and started in St Jean. So grateful I did! It was pure magic.
One day out of Burgos there were literally no beds avaiable in the town we arrived at...but one pilgrim suggested we try for the place they were going... El Molino. The inn keeper arrived to pick us up and drive us to his rural casa, with the understanding that he would return us to the very same spot on the Camino the very next morning. A beautiful old mill in the country side. It was Magic! Dinner with 14 other pilgrims. It was a rare experience. I would like to suggest that you finish your Camino there! The film The Way used it as a location. The innkeepers are the grandparents of the lovely young lady who married Martin Sheen's grandson. ... Just a thought.
Your Camino will guide you to the places, the pace, and the people.
I started my Camino on my own and soon developed my little Camino Pod of lovely like minded folks and you will too.
I agree with you on El Molino, out of the way but it is a Camino experience not to be missed. The evening meal was a feast, their own wine is great and to sit next to that wood fire was wonderful. We even came across a Camino friend there who we thought was well ahead of us. It was a great night.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just finished the Camino Portuguese this summer (2014) from Valenca, Portugal to Santiago. It was my first pilgrimage and I'm not a big nature girl or walker. However, I would absolutely do it again!!! Most of the roads took us through forests, in between mountains and through vineyards. As a group, when we came to the cities (or left in the morning) we couldn't wait until we we back in nature! Inside the cities we found ourselves "plugging in" to our iPods! The noise of the city became irritating to us. A bit of advice - get decent (ankle) boots and make sure you put on a pair of dry socks every day. The terrain is a bit rocky at times but, if you love tranquility and peace of the path - you'll be glad you chose the Camino Portuguese! Bom Caminho! >(((

You can try Astorga-Santiago, which should be about 11-12 days, then, if you have a few more days, just enjoy Santiago or continue further on to Finisterre, the end of the know world for many many centuries

Experience-wise to me, the Portugees and Frances are the same. I think those two are very comparable. If i had 2 weeks max, i would do the Portugees. It is a fantastic route to walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all!

The Caminho Portuges has an excellent infrastructure, is very well waymarked, is not crowdy, no bedraces,you meet all nationalities, the landscape you walk in is gordeous, the locals are very friendly and helpfull , the costs of living in Portugal are lower. the food is great.
At the end you get your Compostella. .
I travelled a lot over the world, worked or some years in Spain among others and this all having experienced , every time I return back to Portugal and its caminho.looking forward to the next caminho Portuges in 2015. I cannot waitImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406380778.610968.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406380813.888730.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406380843.850726.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406380886.122512.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406380912.493982.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406380994.864385.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back