• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte in August

Jonaskt

Time of past OR future Camino
Will be going to Nord.
Hi,
We are going on Camino del Norte in August. Any suggestions what should we take to sleep in. Is it necessary to carry a sleeping bag? What weather should we expect? Do we need a raincoat? Any advice you have will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok,I haven't been on the Norte yet but I am heading there late Aug. thru mid Sept. And I have done a fair amount of research. Word on the street is, seeing how there is more of a marine influence, we can expect some rain and generally cooler temperatures. I am carrying a thin Northface waterproof jacket for when it is misting and a backpacker's poncho for when it is raining/pouring. As far as the sleeping bag, I am taking a lightweight down "sheet" that is like a lightweight sleeping bag rated to 55 degrees f. (Sorry I am an American and don't understand c). Reality is I'll be spending all my nights indoors, and never at any real altitude, with clothes to put on if it gets cold, so I'd rather save the weight with a thinner/lighter/sleeping bag liner.

No sleeping bag required only liner
Could get rain but i would worry more about the sun.
Poncho is adequate in August and if you get wet stay in better accommodation .
As the holiday makers leave there will be very good pensions and great prices to sleep.
Follow the E9 and enjoy this camino.
Put the earplugs in half an hour from joining the Frances and treat yourselves good sleeping beds the last 3 days.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello :) I think I might suggest you that the weather is unpredictable in general, so I would take a good poncho and carry it. It is always good to have it and don't use it rather than not to have it and need it ;)

I walked 320km od Camino del Norte 1 month ago. I must say, that in Asturias we had TONS of sunshine :) In Galicia we experienced fogs and afternoon storms/rains.

The funny part is, that we have not had rain for the whole camino, but on the last day when we joined the Camino Frances (Camino del Norte connects to Camino Frances in Arzua), it was crazy raining! So I would rather find out what is the weather for certain month in certain area - e.g. Asturias, Cantabria, Galicia.
I heard that Galicia is like the Ireland - 200 days of rain per year.

And about sleeping bag - carry one for sure. Albergues on Camino del Norte are small and some of them offer only bed and pillow. Sometimes there are no blankets, no sheets.

If you need any information on the route from Oviedo area (albergues, stages, km), let me know :) I have up-to-date itinerary.

Get ready for the best adventure! Camino del Norte is marvelous :)

Hello :) I think I might suggest you that the weather is unpredictable in general, so I would take a good poncho and carry it. It is always good to have it and don't use it rather than not to have it and need it ;)

I walked 320km od Camino del Norte 1 month ago. I must say, that in Asturias we had TONS of sunshine :) In Galicia we experienced fogs and afternoon storms/rains.

The funny part is, that we have not had rain for the whole camino, but on the last day when we joined the Camino Frances (Camino del Norte connects to Camino Frances in Arzua), it was crazy raining! So I would rather find out what is the weather for certain month in certain area - e.g. Asturias, Cantabria, Galicia.
I heard that Galicia is like the Ireland - 200 days of rain per year.

And about sleeping bag - carry one for sure. Albergues on Camino del Norte are small and some of them offer only bed and pillow. Sometimes there are no blankets, no sheets.

If you need any information on the route from Oviedo area (albergues, stages, km), let me know :) I have up-to-date itinerary.

Get ready for the best adventure! Camino del Norte is marvelous :)

I am curious Janka was there a lot of pavement on this route? What were the trails like? I wanted to try this route but have read in the various posts that there is a lot of walking alongside roads. How did you find it?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am curious Janka was there a lot of pavement on this route? What were the trails like? I wanted to try this route but have read in the various posts that there is a lot of walking alongside roads. How did you find it?

Hello jumpingin2014 :) I am glad you ask.

Well, we started in Oviedo/Aviles area, so I experienced northern Camino from this point. I would say it is mixture of hiking trails (in the woods) and pavement/roads - especially in the villages you walk on the roads. According to my estimation the ratio would be like 70 % (natural trails) and 30% routes (like classic pavement).

We really experienced only one 1 stage that had to be walked on the pavement/road - stage from Soto de Luiña to Cadavedo (24 km), because the original mountain route is closed at the moment.
But for example Stage Baamonde - Sobrados dos Monxes is like 90% "natural nothingness" ;) - all natural trails in the wood :)

So it varies. But with really good hiking shoes you should be fine :) :)

Buen Camino!

The funny part is, that we have not had rain for the whole camino, but on the last day when we joined the Camino Frances (Camino del Norte connects to Camino Frances in Arzua), it was crazy raining!

En realidad es el Camino Frances el que se une al Norte y al Primitivo, ya que estos dos son más antiguos. ;)
Es una pena que el camino entre Soto de Luiña y Cadavedo por la montaña no esté bien limpio porque hay unas vistas muy bonitas de la costa. Aún así, hay peregrinos que se atreven a hacerlo.

In fact the Camino Frances which joins North and Primitivo, as these two are older. ;)
It is a shame the way between Cadavedo Soto de Luiña and the mountain is not properly cleaned because there are very nice views of the coast. Still, there are pilgrims who dare to do so.

En realidad es el Camino Frances el que se une al Norte y al Primitivo, ya que estos dos son más antiguos. ;)
Es una pena que el camino entre Soto de Luiña y Cadavedo por la montaña no esté bien limpio porque hay unas vistas muy bonitas de la costa. Aún así, hay peregrinos que se atreven a hacerlo.

In fact the Camino Frances which joins North and Primitivo, as these two are older. ;)
It is a shame the way between Cadavedo Soto de Luiña and the mountain is not properly cleaned because there are very nice views of the coast. Still, there are pilgrims who dare to do so.

Thanks angulero!!! I love the idea that in fact really Camino Frances is the one that joins two older routes ;)
Well, are you one of those people who dare to walk the closed mountain road?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola

There are many stories about the beginning of Santiago de Compostela, and this is one of them:
Between 818 and 842 King Alfonso the second ruled the northern Christian Spain, the Mauer from North Africa ruled the larger southern and middel part, and at that time Oviedo was the Capital of the Christian Spain.
A hermit, Pelayo, saw a large star located low over a forest near the river Sar.
Together with some fellow hermits they found a sarcophagus with remainings and pergament stating it was the apostle.
When King Alfonso heard about the finding, he went there, probably via the old Roman road passing Fonsagrada and Lugo.
At the grave he declared Santiago a Saint and founded a church where the grave was found.
Thus King Alfonso was considered the first pilgrim, establishing the first Camino (Primitivo) where pilgrims from all of Europe could walk in safety, more or less.

Other sources have other views on the story, and we will never know which got it right.

One thing which seem certain is, that the Caminos can have life changing effects on those who walk it :)

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Thanks angulero!!! I love the idea that in fact really Camino Frances is the one that joins two older routes ;)
Well, are you one of those people who dare to walk the closed mountain road?

No, no lo he hecho, pero vivo cerca y en alguna ocasión subo en coche al los pueblos por los cercanos a ese tramo del camino, por lo que sé que si estuviera el camino limpio, merecería mucho la pena ir por la montaña.

En cuanto a lo de que en realidad es el camino francés el que se une a estos dos es porque el Primitivo está considerado el primer camino, y cuando los peregrinos del resto de europa empezaron e peregrinar, la meseta aún no era segura porque todavía había mucha presencia mora, por lo que lo más seguro era ir por la costa, que era la zona cristiana.
Por eso no entiendo muy bien por qué en el foro el Camino del Norte y el Camino Primitivo están en la sección de "Otras rutas en España" y no está en "Rutas que acaban en Santiago".

No, I have not, but I live nearby and occasionally drive to climb the nearby villages that stretch of road, so I know if it was a clean way, you deserve much worth going down the mountain.

As for what it actually is Camino Francés that joins these two is that the Primitivo is considered the first path, and when pilgrims from the rest of Europe began and pilgrimage, the plateau was not sure because there was still mora much presence, so the safest thing was to go along the coast, it was the Christian area.
So I do not quite understand why the forum Camino Primitivo Camino del Norte and are in the section "Other routes in Spain" and not on "Routes ending in Santiago."

Hola

There are many stories about the beginning of Santiago de Compostela, and this is one of them:
Between 818 and 842 King Alfonso the second ruled the northern Christian Spain, the Mauer from North Africa ruled the larger southern and middel part, and at that time Oviedo was the Capital of the Christian Spain.
A hermit, Pelayo, saw a large star located low over a forest near the river Sar.
Together with some fellow hermits they found a sarcophagus with remainings and pergament stating it was the apostle.
When King Alfonso heard about the finding, he went there, probably via the old Roman road passing Fonsagrada and Lugo.
At the grave he declared Santiago a Saint and founded a church where the grave was found.
Thus King Alfonso was considered the first pilgrim, establishing the first Camino (Primitivo) where pilgrims from all of Europe could walk in safety, more or less.

Other sources have other views on the story, and we will never know which got it right.

One thing which seem certain is, that the Caminos can have life changing effects on those who walk it :)

Buen Camino
Lettinggo
And what happened to Pelayo ?
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406800344.707338.jpgthey cut his head off. Hmmmmm !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No, no lo he hecho, pero vivo cerca y en alguna ocasión subo en coche al los pueblos por los cercanos a ese tramo del camino, por lo que sé que si estuviera el camino limpio, merecería mucho la pena ir por la montaña.

En cuanto a lo de que en realidad es el camino francés el que se une a estos dos es porque el Primitivo está considerado el primer camino, y cuando los peregrinos del resto de europa empezaron e peregrinar, la meseta aún no era segura porque todavía había mucha presencia mora, por lo que lo más seguro era ir por la costa, que era la zona cristiana.
Por eso no entiendo muy bien por qué en el foro el Camino del Norte y el Camino Primitivo están en la sección de "Otras rutas en España" y no está en "Rutas que acaban en Santiago".

No, I have not, but I live nearby and occasionally drive to climb the nearby villages that stretch of road, so I know if it was a clean way, you deserve much worth going down the mountain.

As for what it actually is Camino Francés that joins these two is that the Primitivo is considered the first path, and when pilgrims from the rest of Europe began and pilgrimage, the plateau was not sure because there was still mora much presence, so the safest thing was to go along the coast, it was the Christian area.
So I do not quite understand why the forum Camino Primitivo Camino del Norte and are in the section "Other routes in Spain" and not on "Routes ending in Santiago."

Angulero, that is very valid point.
As far as I remember, when I arrived to Arzua from northern way, the marks (flechas, conchas) stopped being northern and changed to be different - typical for french way. They stayed "french-way" until Santiago. So this forum only copies the actual ways how they are marked. But according to what you are saying, the division of the Camino routes seems to be wrong.

Angulero, that is very valid point.
As far as I remember, when I arrived to Arzua from northern way, the marks (flechas, conchas) stopped being northern and changed to be different - typical for french way. They stayed "french-way" until Santiago. So this forum only copies the actual ways how they are marked. But according to what you are saying, the division of the Camino routes seems to be wrong.
Hi Janka,
thanks for sharing your insights :)
Can I ask you - what kind of shoes or other walking equipment did you use? I walked Portugues in 2010 in old running sneakers and was planning to use those (rather than heavy-duty mountain hiking shoes with vibram sole, etc). I know that the terrain is much more difficult and also rainy, so I am a bit worried about knees/ankles... (last decision moments between del norte and frances, as me and friend set out in early september. heart says del norte, head says frances;):D)

Hi Janka,
thanks for sharing your insights :)
Can I ask you - what kind of shoes or other walking equipment did you use? I walked Portugues in 2010 in old running sneakers and was planning to use those (rather than heavy-duty mountain hiking shoes with vibram sole, etc). I know that the terrain is much more difficult and also rainy, so I am a bit worried about knees/ankles... (last decision moments between del norte and frances, as me and friend set out in early september. heart says del norte, head says frances;):D)

Hey Karla! :)

I would recommend Camino del Norte; like where would you find an ocean on the Camino Frances??? Nowhere! :D I loved the seaside by my right hand and the Asturias mountains by my left hand :)

Regarding your question - I had treking boots, definitely not running shoes, but for treking. Here is the picture of my shoes :) Soooo.... they were lighter than vibrams but stronger than running shoes. So I would go for something like here on the pic :)

Buen Camino!

Attachments

• Bez názvu.jpg
    Bez názvu.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks a lot, Janka!!!!
The shoes are very nice and I am tempted to buy new ones, but afraid I won't have time to break them in before the trip.. did you have one or two pairs of shoes? How about trekking sandals (those very popular ones in Czech Rep;)
Second question - a friend is telling me that sometimes the waymarking is not good, and it is important to have smartphone and use gps and maps. I was planning to go completely offline, not to use any phones, etc. What was your experience?
We will be walking San Sebastina to Oviedo/Aviles, so a different part of the del norte, but still.. maybe you heard something about those parts from your co-pilgrims..

Many many thanks again :)
karla

Hello Janka!
We're planning to go on the Camino del Norte in September starting from the city Gihon. Could you give us any information on the route about albergues where did you stay and stages where road was heavy or unsafe. Is the route really unpopulated and danger to walk the closed mountain road?

Thank you in advance,
Lana

Historically Angulero is quite right! The first Camino route was from Oviedo, through Lugo and down the Roman road (Via Romana Lucus Iria Flavia) to Melide and on to Santiago de Compostela. The Roman road continued on to "Iria Flavia" = Padron and then south to "Bracara Augusta" = Braga in Portugal.
I think that Leon was sacked by the Moors as late as A.D.987 so what is now known as the primary route (the Camino Francés) was still unsafe 150 years after the first pilgrimage!
The history of Asturias in those troubled times is the history of Christian Spain. The capital moving from Cangas de Onis in the Picos de Europa, to Pravia, to Oviedo and then on to Leon as more of the country was made safe.
Walking on the Camino from Lugo is literally following the Way of those first pilgrims. No doubt Alfonso the Chaste would be on horseback or in his "chariot"! The hills streams and the route itself are still redolent with history for those who are interested enough to appreciate it.
With UNESCO and the EU naming the Francés as THE Camino, we are perhaps on a hiding to nothing suggesting a change o_O However for those who know . . .:D

Porta de San Pedro Porto de San Pedro. Lugo.JPG Pavement marker Lugo Leaving Lugo.JPG Roman road near Burgo walking the Roman road near Burgos.JPG Roman bridge info Ribadiso.JPG

Blessings
Tio Tel

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think that Leon was sacked by the Moors as late as A.D.987 so what is now known as the primary route (the Camino Francés) was still unsafe 150 years after the first pilgrimage!
The history of Asturias in those troubled times is the history of Christian Spain. The capital moving from Cangas de Onis in the Picos de Europa, to Pravia, to Oviedo and then on to Leon as more of the country was made safe.
Walking on the Camino from Lugo is literally following the Way of those first pilgrims.

Para ser más exactos, a Santianes de Pravia, donde se encuentra una de las iglesias prerrománicas que hay en Asturias.

To be more exact, to Santianes de Pravia, where it is one of the Romanesque churches in Asturias.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iglesia_de_San_Juan_(Santianes_de_Pravia)

Por eso no entiendo que estos dos caminos, anteriores al francés, no estén en el apartado de "Rutas que acaban en Santiago", ya que creo que tienen suficiente identidad e historia para estar ahí. Al estar puesto en el apartado de "Otras rutas en España", parece como si fueran caminos secundarios, surgidos después del francés, cuando en realidad son anteriores. Es sólo una opinión.

So do not understand that these two paths, past the French, not in the section on "Routes ending in Santiago", as I believe they have sufficient identity and history to be there. Being put in the section "Other routes in Spain," it seems as if they are secondary roads, emerged after the French, when in fact they are older. It's just an opinion.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks a lot, Janka!!!!
The shoes are very nice and I am tempted to buy new ones, but afraid I won't have time to break them in before the trip.. did you have one or two pairs of shoes? How about trekking sandals (those very popular ones in Czech Rep;)
Second question - a friend is telling me that sometimes the waymarking is not good, and it is important to have smartphone and use gps and maps. I was planning to go completely offline, not to use any phones, etc. What was your experience?
We will be walking San Sebastina to Oviedo/Aviles, so a different part of the del norte, but still.. maybe you heard something about those parts from your co-pilgrims..

Many many thanks again :)
karla

Hi Karla :) Nazdárek ;)

Thanks, the shoew were really comfortable :) Regarding treking sandals - yes, I had them too. Treking shoes/boots and treking sandals were the only foot equipment I had. I walked in the boots and used treking sandals only in the places we stayed at - in te albergues or for light walking to supermarkets etc.

Regarding waymarking - I walked 14 stages but only 1 of them was marked confusingly (A Carida - Ribadeo). I had GPS in my mobile and used it only on this one complicated stage. But the truth is that I didn't have to use it, because I was double-checking with the local people - I asked them. Even though a very little of them spoke English, all I had to ask was "Camino de Santiago, por favor?" and they showed us :) Apart from that, I must say that both provinces - Asturias + Galicia - marked the way very well and nicely :) :) If I were you, I would take the GPS - just to have a back-up. But you don't have to use it, but it is always better to have it and don't use it than not having it an needing it. Just like the medicine ;)

Make sure you invest good amount of time for planning - read the guides, look up the stages/albergues. I spent 1 week planning my camino (looked up every single albergue, each stage, read plenty of comments regarding my way, I also travelled the whole camino on the google maps on the street view! :D ) and I felt it really helpful :)

Should you have any more question, feel free to ask :) :-*

Hello Janka!
We're planning to go on the Camino del Norte in September starting from the city Gihon. Could you give us any information on the route about albergues where did you stay and stages where road was heavy or unsafe. Is the route really unpopulated and danger to walk the closed mountain road?

Thank you in advance,
Lana

Hi Lana,

first of all, let me wish you marvelous time on the camino, which I consider to be absolutely beautiful :) I can provide you my itinerary (albergues + stage kilometers) from Muros de Nalon, which is close to Aviles/Gijon to the very end - I will send it to you in a message :)

Regarding the route - nothing too heavy or unsafe. It is hilly, indeed, but very refreshing. Not boring at all. Full of suprises like - what is behind that hill? Yay, another hill :D And then ocean. And then another hill. And back to the ocean :)
Yes, it is not easy, because the way goes up and down, up and down several times on each stage, but nothing deadly crucial that would kill you. It was challenging, but bearable :) :) Some parts of the stages vere really pleasant and easy, some of them consisted of going up up up and then down and then again up and down. Sometimes you started at the sealevel 0 meters altitude, then you went to say Hi! to the cows on the mountain meadows, and then you found yourself in albergue on the little hill upon the ocean coast. Pure fairy-tale! My overall feeling was great! :) If you are a sport person, then you will like it, I am sure of it!

Hi Lana,

first of all, let me wish you marvelous time on the camino, which I consider to be absolutely beautiful :) I can provide you my itinerary (albergues + stage kilometers) from Muros de Nalon, which is close to Aviles/Gijon to the very end - I will send it to you in a message :)

Regarding the route - nothing too heavy or unsafe. It is hilly, indeed, but very refreshing. Not boring at all. Full of suprises like - what is behind that hill? Yay, another hill :D And then ocean. And then another hill. And back to the ocean :)
Yes, it is not easy, because the way goes up and down, up and down several times on each stage, but nothing deadly crucial that would kill you. It was challenging, but bearable :) :) Some parts of the stages vere really pleasant and easy, some of them consisted of going up up up and then down and then again up and down. Sometimes you started at the sealevel 0 meters altitude, then you went to say Hi! to the cows on the mountain meadows, and then you found yourself in albergue on the little hill upon the ocean coast. Pure fairy-tale! My overall feeling was great! :) If you are a sport person, then you will like it, I am sure of it!
Hi Lana,

HI Janka,

We are considering the same route form Gihon in July 2015. I am interested in your itinerary also - would you send it to me? Thanks!
Rhoda

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Lana,

Hello Janka,
If you can please send me your itinerary when you can. Perhaps via a private message or if you have a link to it just post it in this thread? We are planning on going on the Primitivo as a family in June 2015. Very excited and eager for the time to arrive. From my shirt in my avatar you can tell that I love Asturies, especially Xixon and the surrounding towns. I was raised in Gijon and have family and friends that live there so I know exactly what you mean when you explain that the landscape is like a fairy tale. Absolutely beautiful. And the food??? Incredibly delicious. Wow. Asturias, Paraiso Natural. :D Puxa Asturies. ;)

HI Janka,

We are considering the same route form Gihon in July 2015. I am interested in your itinerary also - would you send it to me? Thanks!
Rhoda

Hello Rhoda,

I will try to copy it here for you :) Enjoy!

PLAN CAMINO DE SANTIAGO 2014
Stage Day Date Name Name km
Saturday June 14 landing in Aeropuerto de Asturias to: taxi to Muros de Nalón
1 Sunday June 15 from: taxi to Muros de Nalón to: Soto de Luiña 17,2
2 Monday June 16 from: Soto de Luiña to: Cadavedo 24
3 Tuesday June 17 from: Cadavedo to: Luarca 18
4 Wednesday June 18 from: Luarca to: La Caridad 29,5
5 Thursday June 19 from: La Caridad to: Ribadeo 27,6
6 Friday June 20 from: Ribadeo to: Lourenzá 30,5
7 Saturday June 21 from: Lourenzá to: Gontán 28
8 Sunday June 22 from: Gontán to: Vilalba 20,8
9 Monday June 23 from: Vilalba to: Baamonde 20,9
10 Tuesday June 24 from: Baamonde to: Miraz 14,7
11 Wednesday June 25 from: Miraz to: Sobrados dos Monxes 25,2
12 Thursday June 26 from: Sobrados dos Monxes to: Arzúa 22,4
13 Friday June 27 from: Arzúa to: Pedrouzo 19,1
14 Saturday June 28 from: Pedrouzo to: Santiago de Compostela 22
Total km: 319,9

Hola Jnoval, como estas? Buen Camino! Si, Asturias es muy bonito/bonita ;) Buen Camino!!!!

Aqui esta mi itinerario de camino:

0 Saturday June 14 landing in Aeropuerto de Asturias to: taxi to Muros de Nalón
1 Sunday June 15 from: taxi to Muros de Nalón to: Soto de Luiña 17,2 km
2 Monday June 16 from: Soto de Luiña to: Cadavedo 24 km
3 Tuesday June 17 from: Cadavedo to: Luarca 18 km
4 Wednesday June 18 from: Luarca to: La Caridad 29,5 km
5 Thursday June 19 from: La Caridad to: Ribadeo 27,6 km
6 Friday June 20 from: Ribadeo to: Lourenzá 30,5 km
7 Saturday June 21 from: Lourenzá to: Gontán 28 km
8 Sunday June 22 from: Gontán to: Vilalba 20,8 km
9 Monday June 23 from: Vilalba to: Baamonde 20,9 km
10 Tuesday June 24 from: Baamonde to: Miraz 14,7 km
11 Wednesday June 25 from: Miraz to: Sobrados dos Monxes 25,2 km
12 Thursday June 26 from: Sobrados dos Monxes to: Arzúa 22,4 km
13 Friday June 27 from: Arzúa to: Pedrouzo 19,1 km
14 Saturday June 28 from: Pedrouzo to: Santiago de Compostela 22 km

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi
Hey Karla! :)

I would recommend Camino del Norte; like where would you find an ocean on the Camino Frances??? Nowhere! :D I loved the seaside by my right hand and the Asturias mountains by my left hand :)

Regarding your question - I had treking boots, definitely not running shoes, but for treking. Here is the picture of my shoes :) Soooo.... they were lighter than vibrams but stronger than running shoes. So I would go for something like here on the pic :)

Buen Camino!
Janka, great looking shoes. What brand are those? Can we purchase them here in the usa?

Hello Rhoda,

I will try to copy it here for you :) Enjoy!

Stage Day Date Name Name km
Saturday June 14 landing in Aeropuerto de Asturias to: taxi to Muros de Nalón
1 Sunday June 15 from: taxi to Muros de Nalón to: Soto de Luiña 17,2
2 Monday June 16 from: Soto de Luiña to: Cadavedo 24
3 Tuesday June 17 from: Cadavedo to: Luarca 18
4 Wednesday June 18 from: Luarca to: La Caridad 29,5
5 Thursday June 19 from: La Caridad to: Ribadeo 27,6
6 Friday June 20 from: Ribadeo to: Lourenzá 30,5
7 Saturday June 21 from: Lourenzá to: Gontán 28
8 Sunday June 22 from: Gontán to: Vilalba 20,8
9 Monday June 23 from: Vilalba to: Baamonde 20,9
10 Tuesday June 24 from: Baamonde to: Miraz 14,7
11 Wednesday June 25 from: Miraz to: Sobrados dos Monxes 25,2
12 Thursday June 26 from: Sobrados dos Monxes to: Arzúa 22,4
13 Friday June 27 from: Arzúa to: Pedrouzo 19,1
14 Saturday June 28 from: Pedrouzo to: Santiago de Compostela 22

Thank you! Where would be a good place to look for a map of this route?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi

Janka, great looking shoes. What brand are those? Can we purchase them here in the usa?
Hey Odem, I bought them back home in Europe, so I am really not sure whether exactly these are available in USA also.
But I think when you take a look at some outdoor store goods, I am sure will find something really similar! :)

Also, do you have recommendations about where to stay? Should we book in advance?

Hey Rhoda, thanks :)

I simply check the route on Google Maps by myself before I went to camino. I googled the route, check the albergues. I spent like 6 days planning, reading plenty of websites, watching movies (this one is really about camino del norte -
). But I can tell you that the route is marked 95% really well with yellow arrows and shells. The only stage I would recommend to take a careful look, would be A Carida - Ribadeo. We got a little lost near Tapia (which is somewhere in the middle between A Carida - Ribadeo). Make sure you learn some useful spanish phrases :)

When walking the camino, when you stay in the public albergues (albergues municipal) you cannot book your stay in advance. Basically who comes first, stays first. Be aware that there are less people on North Camino, so the albergues are smaller. But we have still got a place, so they are optimalized to amount of people. And also, there are plenty of private albergues, so if in any case that public albergue is full (completo), you can ask about some private nearby albergue and stay there.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. It is a pleasure for me to help :)
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.