• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather Sept/Oct

soleprint

Time of past OR future Camino
First time will be late August or early September this year.
Hi Everyone, Can anyone tell me what weather to expect along this Camino Sept/Oct? I wil probably start from Valencia.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked it from Valencia in September and October 2009.
September was very hot - mid to high 30's. This meant starting at first light and carrying a lot of water. There were also some spectacular storms around.

By the time I got into Sanabria and Galicia, it was getting colder. I think the coldest was around freezing overnight in some of the high up villages. However, it could still get warm during the day.

This meant carrying more gear than I would have wanted in the early hot part. I was glad of a sleeping bag, pullover, gloves, etc later.

If you look on my blog:

http://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/

at posts in September / October / November 2009, there will be some live reports and photos.

Please ask if we can help any more. It's a great route,

Andy

You can guarantee when you reach Galica there will be rain, we always have rain :) Joking aside we came here last September and we had a month without rain and fairly warm weather. Who knows what the weather will bring there are no guarantees.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Camino last year during August-September. The only rain we experienced was at the end of September was in Galica. We only expienced rain the last few days heading to Santiago. It was a light rain. We were lucky.

September was very hot - mid to high 30's. This meant starting at first light and carrying a lot of water. There were also some spectacular storms around.

By the time I got into Sanabria and Galicia, it was getting colder. I think the coldest was around freezing overnight in some of the high up villages. However, it could still get warm during the day.

This meant carrying more gear than I would have wanted in the early hot part. I was glad of a sleeping bag, pullover, gloves, etc later.

If you look on my blog:

at posts in September / October / November 2009, there will be some live reports and photos.

Andy

If you look on my blog:

Andy
Andy thanks for the info.
I too will be walking the Camino de Levante in Sept/Oct. What amount of water are you generally talking about 2 or 3 litres (I know it depends on the weather) I was under the impression that the average temperature for that region in September is in the mid 20's. One other question are the Alburgues open this time of the year?

Hi John,

my memory is that it was very hot at the beginning and that this was usual.
I carried at least 3 litres. There are a few long stages near the beginning where there it is not easy to find more. I remember being stopped by forest rangers on one stage who checked I had enough water (I had 4 litres that day).

Johnnie Walker reported that there was a water source on the very long stage between Alamansa and Higueruela. I didn't find this when I walked (before him) and I carried and drank 5 litres that day. However, the last few people to do the Levante from this Forum reported splitting this stage up by staying in the new albergue in Alpera.

Please ask if you have any other questions. There are a few people on the Forum now who have walked the Levante, most more recently than me

Buen Camino

Andy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Everyone, Can anyone tell me what weather to expect along this Camino Sept/Oct? I wil probably start from Valencia.
As it is September....I would be prepared for both heat and for rain...the weather will be what it will be at the time..

Hi John,

my memory is that it was very hot at the beginning and that this was usual.
I carried at least 3 litres. There are a few long stages near the beginning where there it is not easy to find more. I remember being stopped by forest rangers on one stage who checked I had enough water (I had 4 litres that day).

Johnnie Walker reported that there was a water source on the very long stage between Alamansa and Higueruela. I didn't find this when I walked (before him) and I carried and drank 5 litres that day. However, the last few people to do the Levante from this Forum reported splitting this stage up by staying in the new albergue in Alpera.

Please ask if you have any other questions. There are a few people on the Forum now who have walked the Levante, most more recently than me

Buen Camino

Andy
Thank you Andy
The weather in Valencia in September seems to be very similar to the weather we get in Melbourne in March (our Autumn) Nice to know that about the Albergue in Alpera. Thank you again John

Andy, thanks for the info. It's much appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.