• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stay in Saugues or La Clauze?

Elsabe Beard

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Podiensis (Sept 2014)
Via Gebennensis (May 2016)
I'm leaving from le Puy on 6 Sept. Staying 1st night in St Privat d'Allier. Undecided about 2nd night. I have to choose between Saugues and La Clauze (about 7km further). My first Camino, but I am reasonably fit. Advice please
Thanks, Elsabe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Being fit is a good start but is no guarantee of making it to a Santiago as planned. I know it is anecdotal but from my observation young fit people seem to encounter more Camino stopping problems than older less fit people. I think they are just too ambitious at the start - which sets up problems that are then difficult to overcome.
Being cautious for the first few days does not really have a negative.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for your replies. Maybe I shouldn't book ahead for 2nd nights accommodation and just see how I go and feel. Hopefully I will get a good place to sleep.

Both times I walked the Route I stopped in Saugues. Each time I was there at midday and could easily have carried on. The climb is relatively short lived and easy track
.I would Def book the first few nights. If lots of people happen to leave Le Puy on the same day the first few days there will be a lot of pressure on beds. People disperse after Conques. Until then one meets the same people over and over. Big walking groups with courtesy cars fill up the gite communal leaving hardly any beds for spontaneous people. I spoke to several people who found out the hard way and ended up in expensive digs via taxi off route. This is more likely to happen if you start your walk at the weekend.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Both times I walked the Route I stopped in Saugues. Each time I was there at midday and could easily have carried on. The climb is relatively short lived and easy track
.I would Def book the first few nights. If lots of people happen to leave Le Puy on the same day the first few days there will be a lot of pressure on beds. People disperse after Conques. Until then one meets the same people over and over. Big walking groups with courtesy cars fill up the gite communal leaving hardly any beds for spontaneous people. I spoke to several people who found out the hard way and ended up in expensive digs via taxi off route. This is more likely to happen if you start your walk at the weekend.

Thanks for this. The Gite Pelerin de Margeride in La Clauze seems very good, that's why I am considering pushing through to there.

How many do you call "lots" ?
So if there are how many at the pilgrims mass before we feel under pressure? 20, 50,100?
I will be starting on a Tuesday morning, and in a group of 4. Should I panic now? Or wait until Monday evening 1st of September when we arrive in le Puy. We have already done the CF, and met there.

Sent from my iPad

Saugues. Try to see the Museum of the Bete du Gevaudan. Great Gite there too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Museum of the Bete is hilarious.

In Sauges, there is a quirky, wonderful woman named Janine who welcomes pilgrims near the church building. She can help you find lodging if necessary. In Sauges, I stayed in the upstairs of a wonderful pair of pilgrims who have turned their upstairs into a simple donativo albergue. they insist you eat breakfast with them because they want to get to know you.

I seldom made reservations on the way between Le Puy and SJPP--maybe a handful of times. Many of the French folks did make reservations every night. But I was usually fine. --As said before--the beginning is very busy, and that's when I found places full, but after a while--especially after Conques, it calmed down. On this path you will find that the majority of pelerins are French people walking a portion of the path each year. (often retired people) I think more people don't return after that first year. Also, May is said to be the busiest month on the French Chemin, and September is second, i assume. Folks choose to walk when it's less hot. So, as September progresses, you may also see the number of pilgrims shrinking.

So if there are how many at the pilgrims mass before we feel under pressure? 20, 50,100?
I will be starting on a Tuesday morning, and in a group of 4. Should I panic now? Or wait until Monday evening 1st of September when we arrive in le Puy. We have already done the CF, and met there.

Sent from my iPad[/QUOTE
In 2010 one Sept am more than 200 or so pilgrims left Le Puy and an Australian couple I met who had not booked had huge problems. Book. Don't panic.
easy to count the available beds in the Miam Dodo for the first few days at typical stage intervals. This will show how many people the route can absorb.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Elsabe, we're leaving Le Puy on Sept 6th as well so I'm sure we'll cross paths. We are staying in St. Privat and then Sauges as we enjoy not killing ourselves the first few days. The comments from others are very true as we found that some of the fittest people were the ones with the most problems, myself included. Our plan is to try to average around 21-23km a day. We averaged 25-28km a day on the Camino Frances but know that the Le Puy route is much steeper so will just take it a bit more easy. We booked ahead in Gites and chambre d'hotes as that is our preference. Be prepared for an awesome time!

Sent from my iPad

Get the gite you are staying in AMDG56 to book a few days ahead.
They know the good places and it makes for a pleasurable days walking knowing all is well ahead.
Bon Chemin mate

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. Maybe I shouldn't book ahead for 2nd nights accommodation and just see how I go and feel. Hopefully I will get a good place to sleep.

La Clauze is very nice however it only has 7 places.
If the weather is bad the climb out of Monistrol will take its toll.
Play by ear

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One year we walked with four friends (so there were six altogether) from Moissac to Aire sur L'Adour. Even though this is a much less popular section of the route we definitely needed to book ahead.

I live in Cape Town and you are most welcome to PM me in order to get my telephone number (if interested). I have walked Le Puy to Condom (with Rocamadour variant) and am off within 2 weeks to walk Cluny to Le Puy. Dolfina

Hi Elsabe, we're leaving Le Puy on Sept 6th as well so I'm sure we'll cross paths. We are staying in St. Privat and then Sauges as we enjoy not killing ourselves the first few days. The comments from others are very true as we found that some of the fittest people were the ones with the most problems, myself included. Our plan is to try to average around 21-23km a day. We averaged 25-28km a day on the Camino Frances but know that the Le Puy route is much steeper so will just take it a bit more easy. We booked ahead in Gites and chambre d'hotes as that is our preference. Be prepared for an awesome time!

Hi there, arriving in Le Puy on 6 Sept, start walking on the 7th. Also staying in St Privat d'Allier on first night (Gite la Cabourne) and I have decided to stay over in Sauges. Looks I might be a day behind you, also doing about the same distance per day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I live in Cape Town and you are most welcome to PM me in order to get my telephone number (if interested). I have walked Le Puy to Condom (with Rocamadour variant) and am off within 2 weeks to walk Cluny to Le Puy. Dolfina

Thanks, don't quite know how to send a PM! But I think I am more or less organized. I spoke to the ladies from the Confraternity in CT and also some friends here in EL who have done the route. Enjoy your walk.

You seem to be organized! This forum is such a wealth of information - in 2011 when I started planning I read all the posts from Kiwinomad and Gittiharre and it was tremendously helpful. The Le Puy route is stunning! Bon Chemin.
(To PM, click on my Profile Picture and Start a Conversation.)

Saugues. Try to see the Museum of the Bete du Gevaudan. Great Gite there too.

You might check the museum's dates first because it's not open all year. I wanted to visit (one reason for staying there). I was in Saugues on June 2 and the museum didn't open until June 15.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back